Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Wicked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Motronic posted:

I love that you're rocking a trooper. I had an '88 back in the day and it was awesome (other than the 4 cylinder).

I had a 91 when I started college back in 99, then proceeded to destroy it, then had an 86 beater and an 88 that went from a reliable set of wheels to something resembling what I have now before I graduated. Got this one a few years back. It's got the small, gutless but high revving and reliable GM 2.8 V6 (much improved from the version they put in the early s10's and XJ's) which will soon be swapped for an enormous fire breathing 3.4 V6 from a mid 90's camaro. There are lots of "if they had only done this these things would have been amazing" quirks to them, but they are great trail beaters, hunt/camp/fish and putt around town rigs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Any reason you're ignoring the obvious 3800sc swap? :ninja:

I mean, it will bolt to the same tranny, I can't guarantee it will handle the power or bolt to any other things involved, but you clearly have the skill to make it happen if you want to.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
it'd handle the power, but the rear intake is kind of a bitch to deal with.

E: 3.4 is plug and go with a 4.3 tbi. 3800 involves a rewire, fuel pump change, and some other fun poo poo.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm looking for lockers for my Daihatsu Rocky (F300 aka Fourtrak/Feroza in ROW) and after finding outs its like $1200 for just a rear unit, I might as well take the lock-rite equipped Toyota 7.5" axle I have and get some 5.29 gears and some 5x4.5" to 5x5.5" wheel adapters. Anyone think it won't be strong enough? I have some 31" ATs and its under 3000lbs loaded down with gear.

Note: Rocky axle is 54" from inside of rear drum backing plates, Toyota is 51". Should be a perfect fit with adapters.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 17, 2016

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

kastein posted:

Any reason you're ignoring the obvious 3800sc swap? :ninja:

I mean, it will bolt to the same tranny, I can't guarantee it will handle the power or bolt to any other things involved, but you clearly have the skill to make it happen if you want to.

More money, more time involved. I am trying to avoid getting stuck behind the wrench instead of the wheel.. The 3800SC been done, and it's very appealing, but the 3.4 is so plug and play it's not even funny, like cursedshitbox mentioned. I got a good deal on a rebuilt assembly with a good aftermarket cam and roller rockers, larger 4.3 TBI and matched intake, etc etc, so it should move me from <135hp to 175-185 or so. But the goddamn 2.8 just won't die. I need to just go ahead and pick a weekend to get it over with.

DJ Commie posted:

I'm looking for lockers for my Daihatsu Rocky (F300 aka Fourtrak/Feroza in ROW) and after finding outs its like $1200 for just a rear unit, I might as well take the lock-rite equipped Toyota 7.5" axle I have and get some 5.29 gears and some 5x4.5" to 5x5.5" wheel adapters. Anyone think it won't be strong enough? I have some 31" ATs and its under 3000lbs loaded down with gear.

Note: Rocky axle is 54" from inside of rear drum backing plates, Toyota is 51". Should be a perfect fit with adapters.

An 8" rear would obv be more better. They were ~54-55" wms-wms prior to '86, and 58" wide until the tacomas, but 6 on 5.5. For a rocky on 31's the 7.5" would probably be ok though, I'd think. Rockys are cool little beasts.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Paulie posted:

And they gave it one of its own short films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjjoYWfHdo

Pretty sweet way to get a free set of tires in any case.

Dude, that's awesome I'm super jealous... can't beat a free set of tires and some pro shots of your rig (which is also p. sweet).

After I lifted my Jeep and was still running tires a size or two small, I thought it looked just like it was tiptoing everywhere :3:

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I'm in love with this photo and your trooper. Also very cool that you got to test out and keep new tires! So how'd they do compared to the pitbulls? I've heard that in general, it's very difficult to get replacement pitbulls if/when you shred one. Have you experienced that?

I'm very tempted to replace my Wrangler MT/Rs with red-letters but they are inexcusably heavy. Why are they so heavy??

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Geology posted:

I'm in love with this photo and your trooper. Also very cool that you got to test out and keep new tires! So how'd they do compared to the pitbulls? I've heard that in general, it's very difficult to get replacement pitbulls if/when you shred one. Have you experienced that?

I'm very tempted to replace my Wrangler MT/Rs with red-letters but they are inexcusably heavy. Why are they so heavy??

Thanks. Free tires rule. They are magnificent on the road in comparison to the 1/2 worn Pitbulls. They are a bit quieter than my previous set of trxus M/T's. The Pitbulls were amazing on the trail. The Grabber's were good on the trail, but I didn't see any mud or really much in the way of loose dirt hillclimbs and that sort of stuff. At least not yet. But I have no complaints so far, but we'll see how things go.

I have never shredded a Pitbull, in fact that would be the least of my worries. I bought them used for about $800 I think. It would be very hard for me to pay full price for a set of Pitbulls. They are awesome but I'd have to really look into the replacement/warranty situation before unloading a massive sum of money for them.

RE the red letter Grabbers that have been out for a while, I don't know if/why they are so heavy...if you're looking at anything above a C range, it's going to be a thicker carcass. Those tires never held my interest. They seem like a desert/dirt A/T tire, and out here, if it gets wet you need something with voids and sharp tread blocks to get any grip in the slippery clay mud. The 37" Pitbulls plus birddog wheels were like 125lb per corner, and the 35" Grabbers on the Gear alloys felt much lighter.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Did a 2500km trip into the Outback areas of South Australia over the last 10 days. So many things I havent gotten off the real camera yet but the Breakaways just north of Coober Pedy were absolutely spectacular.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Paulie posted:

More money, more time involved. I am trying to avoid getting stuck behind the wrench instead of the wheel.. The 3800SC been done, and it's very appealing, but the 3.4 is so plug and play it's not even funny, like cursedshitbox mentioned. I got a good deal on a rebuilt assembly with a good aftermarket cam and roller rockers, larger 4.3 TBI and matched intake, etc etc, so it should move me from <135hp to 175-185 or so. But the goddamn 2.8 just won't die. I need to just go ahead and pick a weekend to get it over with.

That is entirely reasonable. Most 84-86 XJ 2.8L sufferers I know have chosen the same upgrade for the same reason, since you almost literally unbolt one and bolt the other in where it came out and gain a rod bearing and some power/torque.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Were your Pitbulls bias or radial?

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tacopie posted:

Were your Pitbulls bias or radial?

Radials. Wanna buy 'em? :D

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Paulie posted:

Radials. Wanna buy 'em? :D

I'm just surprised. Everything that i see online says they are great tires on or offroad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Paulie posted:

Thanks. Free tires rule.

If General is looking for anyone to help advertise their snow tires, my Subaru's set of Arctics is getting worn out and I have already bought three more sets since that one.

But really I'll take any tires they got.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 23, 2016

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tacopie posted:

I'm just surprised. Everything that i see online says they are great tires on or offroad.

They are amazing off road, and I'm sure when they're new they're pretty good on road and not quite as loud as they are now. I mean it's only going to be so good on road with the massive tread voids and weird pattern. Most M/T's get louder as they get older, and it's usually worse the more aggressive the tire is. I have seen lots of fantastic reviews of the Pitbull radials as well, but not many long term reviews. If I lived 15 minutes from the trails instead of 2 hours I'd sell the Generals and keep the Pitbulls.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If General is looking for anyone to help advertise their snow tires, my Subaru's set of Arctics is getting worn out and I have already bought three more sets since that one.

But really I'll take any tires they got.

I think it was really a right place right time deal where they are looking to release their new tire soon and their marketing crew for the tire is located in the region, and I happen to be in the club they contacted. If you really wanted to go for it, you could contact them through their social media to see if they are releasing any new winter tires this year and if they are looking for testers or holding any release events.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

tacopie posted:

Personal experience is good off road tire... meh on road. I only had a set for a while and traded them for some BFG Projects [I do way more desert than mud].

A lot of my friends with 37-40"+ sizes are having issues with them lasting more than 4000 miles... bad batch or something. Pitbull doesn't make their own tires, they subcontract it out to another plant, so when theres a warranty issues, you have to deal with pitbull who has to deal with the factory which is a long turn around time [months] vs say having to return/replace a BFG, Toyo or something else that owns their own production line.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone know how much material I can groove out of a AG tire ? I've got these 30" tall AG tires mounted on 15" wheels for my utv. I'd like to turn them into a swamp tire. Failing that, where could I find a 32" tall AG tire for a 15" wheel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's like bolt torque. But instead of a quarter turn before it snaps, it's a quarter inch before you find the belting

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

Did a 2500km trip into the Outback areas of South Australia over the last 10 days. So many things I havent gotten off the real camera yet but the Breakaways just north of Coober Pedy were absolutely spectacular.

How is nobody paying attention to this?!?

Fuckin' AWESOME. More pictures, please!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ExecuDork posted:

How is nobody paying attention to this?!?

Fuckin' AWESOME. More pictures, please!

You asked for it!

Looking south down the Oodnadatta Track

Sunset at Farina looking over the district war memorial.

I was just playing around with the ultra short depth of field on the 10-22mm lense on the Canon at the Wabma Kadarbu Mound Springs

Just on dusk with a 30 second exposure of the Date Palm plantations at Coward Springs Campgrounds

Then I got up for a piss about 3am and looked up and went "Holy poo poo" and ended up standing out there for about 10 mins shivering my arse off in the -2C temps doing 30 second exposures to capture this

Stopped in at Lake Cadibarrawirracanna (not making that up!) and because of the massive amounts of rain they've had in the outback recently, it was full of water!

See!

Another photo of the Breakaways

Spent the night at Coober Pedy. Which was.... Interesting....

Entire service station was full of US marines!

Who had driven from Darwin to Port Augusta For a two month millitary training exercise with the Australian Army. So the entire road from Coober Pedy to Glendambo was clogged with army equipment heading north and we spent a considerable amount of time with a wheel on the shoulder dodging things like this!

Camping at Kingoonya and got into town just in time for their annual Kamp oven Kookoff, which was a great fun night. Whats a camp oven?

Thats a camp oven! Comes in two types, Mines a Bedourie oven, which is a light weight spun steel job, which means you can drop the bastards with impunity. They also come in full cast iron, which are heavy, fragile and a bastard to pack, but they do get better heat distribution for roasting so horses for courses. Im cooking Thai Green Beef Curry on the coals there.

Port Lincoln Ringneck Parrot that was feeding on the gum flowers first thing in the morning at Mount Ive Station

Mount Ive station also had these really cool buildings- 100% aluminium! Previously found at https://goo.gl/maps/EUDjsjaemtC2. Interesting place, considering the kind of things that happened out at Maralinga and the god awful legacy its left for the traditional owners out there. Sadly the buildings didnt glow :(

So there you have it- 10 days, 2500kms, roughly 400L of fuel later, Im back home and the weather looks like this...

fuuuuuck....

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

wicked photos. I sort of miss loving around in the outback

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Ferremit posted:

So there you have it- 10 days, 2500kms, roughly 400L of fuel later, Im back home and the weather looks like this...

fuuuuuck....

Killer rig, man.

I loved the photos too. What an awesome trip.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Nothing crazy original, but I hit up a few usual spots around Big Bear this weekend, dishpan, gold mountain (the gold mountain gatekeeper is in bad condition right now, very easy and torn apart) along with the newly re-opened butler peak trail(s)? It was fun. Went with my friend who was exploring the capabilities of his Willys.

The purpose in Butler Peak is to get to see a firewatch tower from the 30s still being used:

Cool views, really similar to the Firewatch game if you've played that. I'm terrible at heights so it was a bit traumatic considering the overhanging balconies made of flexy 30s wood. There are gigantic fires going on around Socal right now too, but you couldn't see them from this.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
There's a gold mountain gatekeeper?

[Trying to think of what section would qualify for that].

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Big K of Justice posted:

There's a gold mountain gatekeeper?

[Trying to think of what section would qualify for that].

Even when it's together it's fairly easy, its a wide, low wall you have to climb up essentially. Quite wide so it offers easy to harder routes. It's the first obstacle you hit when entering the trail from Fawnskin I believe. Right now a lot of the rocks have basically rolled down away from the wall so it's just boring and messy. The problem is, imo, is that there are harder sections on GM if that's imaginable, so the gatekeeper isn't doing its job.
Not a huge deal but it's essentially one of the top #5 trails in Big Bear so you'd expect there to be more active maintenance.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Completely jealous of off roading out west. Down here (gulf coast) we have pretty much nothing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

tuna posted:

Even when it's together it's fairly easy, its a wide, low wall you have to climb up essentially. Quite wide so it offers easy to harder routes. It's the first obstacle you hit when entering the trail from Fawnskin I believe. Right now a lot of the rocks have basically rolled down away from the wall so it's just boring and messy. The problem is, imo, is that there are harder sections on GM if that's imaginable, so the gatekeeper isn't doing its job.
Not a huge deal but it's essentially one of the top #5 trails in Big Bear so you'd expect there to be more active maintenance.

A few of my friends from NAXJA SoCal do maintenance on 2N04 and 2N49. One of these days I gotta find my way out there.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Outback and out West, nice.

That Willys owns.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

A few of my friends from NAXJA SoCal do maintenance on 2N04 and 2N49. One of these days I gotta find my way out there.
When you do, you'll have plenty of people (myself included) to go wheeling with.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Paulie posted:

They are amazing off road, and I'm sure when they're new they're pretty good on road and not quite as loud as they are now. I mean it's only going to be so good on road with the massive tread voids and weird pattern. Most M/T's get louder as they get older, and it's usually worse the more aggressive the tire is. I have seen lots of fantastic reviews of the Pitbull radials as well, but not many long term reviews. If I lived 15 minutes from the trails instead of 2 hours I'd sell the Generals and keep the Pitbulls.

I think it was really a right place right time deal where they are looking to release their new tire soon and their marketing crew for the tire is located in the region, and I happen to be in the club they contacted. If you really wanted to go for it, you could contact them through their social media to see if they are releasing any new winter tires this year and if they are looking for testers or holding any release events.

Big K of Justice posted:

Personal experience is good off road tire... meh on road. I only had a set for a while and traded them for some BFG Projects [I do way more desert than mud].

A lot of my friends with 37-40"+ sizes are having issues with them lasting more than 4000 miles... bad batch or something. Pitbull doesn't make their own tires, they subcontract it out to another plant, so when theres a warranty issues, you have to deal with pitbull who has to deal with the factory which is a long turn around time [months] vs say having to return/replace a BFG, Toyo or something else that owns their own production line.

Well poo poo, when my stock tires wear out on my JK I was planning on running them. So far 20k on the stock tires and very little signs of wear so maybe in a few years there will be something that cracks skulls and does as well on road as off. I know that is wishful thinking.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

tacopie posted:

Well poo poo, when my stock tires wear out on my JK I was planning on running them. So far 20k on the stock tires and very little signs of wear so maybe in a few years there will be something that cracks skulls and does as well on road as off. I know that is wishful thinking.

A Pitbull will not a terrific daily driver make, whether they are past the QC issues or not. Adequate, sure. Comfortable? Meh. Most of the new breed of radial BFG/Nitto/Toyo/Falken/Cooper etc do well enough for 99% of what you'll face in whatever off-road situation you find yourself in and they'll also be pretty decent on the road. The "old" Super Swamper TRXUS M/T's were a great compromise between on road and off road performance. I've said it a hundred time probably now but I think the new Cooper M/T's look like a milder more street friendly Pitbull Rocker. If I hadn't gotten these Grabber X3's I probably would have gone for those next.

Enough words, here's a pre-offroad pic of the beater after switching the wheels back to the old Interco Birddog wheels.

The tire tech was impressed with how easy the tires went onto the wheels, so much so that he double checked the wheel size. One of their design features.

Also just replaced the decade old blown out procomp 9000s up front and 3000s out back with 5100 series Bilsteins. Hopefully it survives the 500 mile round trip this weekend.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sandbagger SA posted:

Killer rig, man.

I loved the photos too. What an awesome trip.

Cheers! There's not a lot left to do to the big girl now- most of the hard work is done. Once it's got front and rear air lockers and some more structural side steps that's pretty much all that's left to do to make it the best hardcore tourer it can be.

And best bit is when I'm feeling really fancy it's got more than enough power and torque to drag the Kimberley kamper around behind it with ease.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Do you have onboard air already? I'm more keen on the Harrop E-lockers than air

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah already got the onboard ARB hiflow compressor under the bonnet. That and you can also pick up air lockers brand new in box on sale from ARB for under a grand each. Had them in the red hilux and they never let me down.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

Paulie posted:

The "old" Super Swamper TRXUS M/T's were a great compromise between on road and off road performance.

I ran those on my old Tacoma. Didn't rotate them as I should have and they still performed well on and off road. A few guys that I ran with also got them after seeing how well they did.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Went and explored some mysterious tracks to nowhere and forestry roads this afternoon in the cruiser. Found a promising looking spot to go for a bush stalk, lots of fresh deer tracks. The Bridgestone ATs did pretty good, had some good wheel spin up some clay hills but dragged me through it

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I can post some pics of this trip later on, but for now I leave you with this amazing series of events that happened, all caught on dashcam. Keep in mind this is us taking my friend (black JK) out for his first proper offroad Jeep experience.

It starts off with us beginning to winch a friend out (black TJ) as he almost flopped the Jeep and it was teetering enough we decided to hold him down. At around 0:48s you can see my friend's GF walk over to his Jeep and take the keys out of the ignition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthPRf9fe3I

Nothing was damaged at all. I don't know why I yelled "get in!". We all laughed about it at camp that night. Lessons were learned.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tuna posted:

I can post some pics of this trip later on, but for now I leave you with this amazing series of events that happened, all caught on dashcam. Keep in mind this is us taking my friend (black JK) out for his first proper offroad Jeep experience.

It starts off with us beginning to winch a friend out (black TJ) as he almost flopped the Jeep and it was teetering enough we decided to hold him down. At around 0:48s you can see my friend's GF walk over to his Jeep and take the keys out of the ignition.

Nothing was damaged at all. I don't know why I yelled "get in!". We all laughed about it at camp that night. Lessons were learned.

What in the world happened? Did it pop into neutral or something? I'm so confused how it managed to go backwards and forwards with no one in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tuna posted:

That was hilarious. I kept rewinding it and couldn't stop watching it.