Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

why would intolerant straight guys go to pride???

to pick up the wave of straight women that have been using pride and gay bars as safespaces for, oh, ten years or so now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

to pick up the wave of straight women that have been using pride and gay bars as safespaces for, oh, ten years or so now

sad. seems like there would be better venues for that where you don't actively want to oppress and hate everyone there but what do I know, I'm a low t failtard whose settled with his college gf for 7 years so maybe they know know what they're doing I guess

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
all the good gay bars banned bachelorette parties years ago

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I haven't participated in pride in a couple years because it's inundated with not-so-tolerant, drunk straight people and corporate sponsorship.

same

I'm hoping Northhalsted Market Days is a little more properly queer, I'm finally going to go this year

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

minivanmegafun posted:

same

I'm hoping Northhalsted Market Days is a little more properly queer, I'm finally going to go this year

This year the Toronto pride parade was held up by a group of black protestors trying to stop the police from, you know, murdering people and there was a lot of angry white dudes, gay and straight. I think people forget that most Pride's started as acts of righteous civil disobedience

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Spazzle posted:

This is incomprehensible. How is this possible?

these are two goods resources:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/banks-urge-big-customers-to-take-cash-elsewhere-or-be-slapped-with-fees-1418003852 (google to get around the paywall)
http://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/negative-interest-rates

bernake wrote about negative rates recently, too: http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/ben-bernanke/posts/2016/03/18-negative-interest-rates

larry summers' thoughts on the situation make a lot of sense to me, but they're fairly controversial. his talk at the central bank of chile last year is a good read, though: http://larrysummers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/LarrySummers-Central-Bank-of-Chile.pdf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

This year the Toronto pride parade was held up by a group of black protestors trying to stop the police from, you know, murdering people and there was a lot of angry white dudes, gay and straight. I think people forget that most Pride's started as acts of righteous civil disobedience

this did wonders for outing the three olives contingent of the community though

...perhaps that's a poor choice of words

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

at least you get proper seedy gay strip clubs. I hit up Flash last time I was in Toronto, it was, well it was something we don't get in the states, I'll tell you that much.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
men with visible hernia scars slowly gyrating to 80s power ballads while their bellies obscure their genitals

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

men with visible hernia scars slowly gyrating to 80s power ballads while their bellies obscure their genitals

Friday night motherfuckers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
corporations and straight people have ruined being gay

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i wasnt aware toronto was in the us

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what, you think cops stop killing black people at the border?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what, you think cops stop killing black people at the border?

at the rate we do in the us? actually, yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

lol if your bank charges fees

lol if you use a bank instead of a credit union

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mishaq posted:

at the rate we do in the us? actually, yeah

what's the acceptable rate of killing black people?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my caddie's chauffeur tells me banks are where poor people keep money that's not properly invested

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol if you dont use an awesome bank that charges no fees and refunds any atm fees you get globally

baller when you go to atms in thailand that charge foreign cards $5 every time you go to one

also lol at the thought of dealing with credit union web/mobile banking

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what's the acceptable rate of killing black people?

canadian levels

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bubble buzzword bingo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

lol if you dont use an awesome bank that charges no fees and refunds any atm fees you get globally

baller when you go to atms in thailand that charge foreign cards $5 every time you go to one

the fees we are talking about are for large business depositors. like, tens of millions of dollars and thousands of transactions a day.

not your personal checking.

that's a whole different ball game.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

how much do you spend on underage boy prostitutes when youo go to thailand?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

with or without the atm fees

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

A LOT

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mishaq posted:

my credit union lets me use atms from basically anywhere, why are you using your primary account in foreign countries, and the web site and app for my cu are actually pretty goddamn great

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

my credit union lets me use atms from basically anywhere, why are you using your primary account in foreign countries, and the web site and app for my cu are actually pretty goddamn great

im not, i use that account just when i travel or when i need cash for cash only bars/restaurants

i keep most of my money in my other bank account thats awesome for other reasons, but they dont reimburse atm fees

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

apparently softbank is buying arm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Spazzle posted:

This is incomprehensible. How is this possible?

if you really want to blow your mind check out this paper from some imf dudes

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp15224.pdf

quote:

There has been much discussion about eliminating the “zero lower
bound” by eliminating paper currency. But such a radical and difficult
appro ach as eliminating paper currency is not necessary. Much as
during the Great Depression—when countries were able to revive their
economies by going off the gold standard—all that is needed to empower
monetary policy to cut interest rates as much as needed for economic
stimulus now is to change from a paper standard to an electronic money
standard, and to be willing to ha ve paper currency go away from pa
r. This paper develops the idea further and shows how such a mechanism
can be implemented in a minimalist way by using a time-varying paper
currency deposit fee between privat e banks and the central bank. This
allows the central bank to create a crawling-peg exchange ra te
between paper currency and electronic money; the paper currency
interest rate can be either lowere d below zero or raised above
zero. Such an ability to vary the paper currency interest rate along
with other key interest rates, makes it possible to stimulate
investment and net exports as much as needed to revive the economy,
even when inflation, interest rates, and economic activity are quite
low, as they are curre ntly in many countries.

basically you levy fees cash deposits in order to create a deliberate disconnect between the value of cash dollars and "real" dollars in a bank

your mattress hoarding won't help you if the surcharges for converting cash to deposits are bigger than the negative interest rates!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

apparently softbank is buying arm

wtf for

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

they're gonna make the pre in house and relaunch with sprint baby!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

they're gonna make the pre in house and relaunch with sprint baby!

:jackbud:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you really want to blow your mind check out this paper from some imf dudes

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2015/wp15224.pdf

basically you levy fees cash deposits in order to create a deliberate disconnect between the value of cash dollars and "real" dollars in a bank

your mattress hoarding won't help you if the surcharges for converting cash to deposits are bigger than the negative interest rates!

isn't this happening naturally already, though?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
poo poo a few years ago a homeless man whipped out a swipe scanner & smartphone when my friend told him he was plastic only

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
watchin that pro gamer documentary and lol that a college right outside of pittsburgh was the first to offer an esports scholarship (in league of legends)

e: whoops it's the other robert morris university in chicago here

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 18, 2016

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

watchin that pro gamer documentary and lol that a college right outside of pittsburgh was the first to offer an esports scholarship (in league of legends)

e: whoops it's the other robert morris university in chicago here

LoL

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:10bux:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

32 instagrams

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

how does SoftBank even have 32 billion in cash

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mishaq posted:

how does SoftBank even have 32 billion in cash

they don't (they had ~25 billion COH on March 31st), but they shouldn't have trouble borrowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh, right, ARM is a british company and the deal is in pounds. that probably explains a lot of it?

• Locked thread