Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Most of us figure that out by about 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Watching that episode where Neelix dies and finds out there is no after life and existence is pointless

Living that episode where I'm disappointed every time I wake up because existence is pointless.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Just starting the Andy Dick episode :downs:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's a pretty fun episode you'll like it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

It's a pretty fun episode you'll like it.

I like every episode of Voyager

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Although everyone in Starfleet is like "structural integrity this and structural integrity that", so you'd think having a ship composed of 3 other ships held together with some sort of quick release system seems risky.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Active multivector assault mode!

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Watching that episode where Neelix dies and finds out there is no after life and existence is pointless

No poo poo your family isn't waiting at the great tree Neelix, they're stuck in the endless purgatory that is the metreon cascade. You watched them try to beam some writhing sucker out of it like 20 years later you dumb gently caress.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tectonis posted:

No poo poo your family isn't waiting at the great tree Neelix, they're stuck in the endless purgatory that is the metreon cascade. You watched them try to beam some writhing sucker out of it like 20 years later you dumb gently caress.

You know how people turned into disgusting vile eel-worms in TNG's transporter accident?

Maybe disgusting eel-worms turn into even more repulsive Talaxians when they have a metreon-induced transporter accident.

That poor eel-worm!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Tectonis posted:

It's not that your religion is wrong. It's just that you, personally, have no one waiting for you in nanoprobe valhalla.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Just starting the Andy Dick episode :downs:

Khan's son is reincarnated into a Romulan in that one.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Why would they think anyone would like Neelix?

Because ALF sold a metric fuckton of merchandise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Active multivector assault mode!

That reminds me of one of the funniest things from late-season Voyager;

"Computer; Activate the Emergency Command Hologram", complete with dramatic uniform colour change and extra pips materializing on his collar.

Which means a Hologram has managed to have a more successful Starfleet career than Harry Kim.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

criscodisco posted:

B'elanna can gently caress off. She's a goddamn whiner and everyone knows it.

Honestly her whole character was "I am a klingon therefore I will be disagreeable about everything to everybody at all times." The fact that any of the other characters seemed to like her let alone get along with her or even have relationships with her was the most unbelievable aspect of the whole drat show

e: and that's why the fact that they chose to focus the whole depression episode where they build the first Delta Flyer on her is so frustrating to me, they chose the most unsympathetic character to put through that poo poo so the whole time you're watching you just wish the dumb jerk would kill herself already so everybody else could move on, which is precisely not the message you want to send about how to handle people suffering from depression.

Automatic Slim posted:

The Great Barrier was supposed to prevent people from leaving the galaxy. Shatner muddled things by putting it around the center of the Galaxy to prevent "God" from leaving. Roddenberry considered Star Trek V apocryphal and the less said the better.

V was flawed but ultimately still a decent Star Trek adventure, more enjoyable than at least half the TNG films

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 18, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tighclops posted:

Honestly her whole character was "I am a klingon therefore I will be disagreeable about everything to everybody at all times." The fact that any of the other characters seemed to like her let alone get along with her or even have relationships with her was the most unbelievable aspect of the whole drat show

e: and that's why the fact that they chose to focus the whole depression episode where they build the first Delta Flyer on her is so frustrating to me, they chose the most unsympathetic character to put through that poo poo so the whole time you're watching you just wish the dumb jerk would kill herself already so everybody else could move on, which is precisely not the message you want to send about how to handle people suffering from depression.

The whole "angry Klingon hybrid" thing is stupid anyway, because we've seen another in TNG, and she was pretty well-adjusted. Hell, we've had a full Klingon cast member in TNG and he certainly wasn't a compete rear end in a top hat 24-7 to everyone around him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I'm finally starting to like Seven. While she's definitely on the show for T&A, she also seems to be one of three actors who aren't sleep-walking through everything. The Doctor's also pretty great but he isn't really given time to shine in most episodes. I also can't completely hate Neelix because Ethan Philips actually seems to be making a solid effort in most episodes. It's just unfortunate that the character is so loving grating all the time, plus he looks like a hairy scab and no one on the show apparently had any self-awareness regarding how creepy it is for his girlfriend to literally be 3 years old.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tighclops posted:

other characters seemed to like her let alone get along with her or even have relationships with her was the most unbelievable aspect of the whole drat show

No, the most unbelievable part of the show and any Trek really is having pocket doors that don't go off track every 3 opens.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Didn't Voyager's nacelles go up and down for some reason? Why was that? How often did they do that? I've seen every episode and I'm totally blanking on these questions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cheerfullydrab posted:

Didn't Voyager's nacelles go up and down for some reason? Why was that? How often did they do that? I've seen every episode and I'm totally blanking on these questions.

It raised them any time it went to Warp Speed. Presumably because it looked cool.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Texhnobabble reason is that it doesn't damage subspace like normal nacelles do. Real reason is it's a cool gimmick.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Neelix can't get into the Talaxian afterlife because his lungs are still alive in some patchwork horror alien

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No, it's because in TNG they introduced us to the idea that warp speed travel was destroying the universe. It was a heavy handed global warming allegory.

Somehow, having the pylons move while going to warp alleviated all that. They really should have forgotten about that TNG episode, because even TNG forget about it after a half a season of "Starfleet has authorized breaking warp limits for this mission".

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If you raise your warp nacelles vertically that's called "rolling coalithium" and it does tons of damage to the subspace.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

No, it's because in TNG they introduced us to the idea that warp speed travel was destroying the universe. It was a heavy handed global warming allegory.

Somehow, having the pylons move while going to warp alleviated all that. They really should have forgotten about that TNG episode, because even TNG forget about it after a half a season of "Starfleet has authorized breaking warp limits for this mission".

That episode happened in Season 7 of TNG anyway so there wasn't much more than half a season left anyway

but yeah there's been at least a couple of interviews where writers basically said "yeah we regretted that decision after like the second time we had to insert a line about the warp 5 limit"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Global warming is a real problem.

For now we should all just drive our cars slower to help out.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Only cars with Gullwing tailpipes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Police scanner pipes up*

"Car 25, burglary in progress by corner of Adams and 4th st. You are authorized to exceed 30 mph for the duration of this call"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tighclops posted:

V was flawed but ultimately still a decent Star Trek adventure, more enjoyable than at least half the TNG films

You have a point. The problem with V is that every scene makes a great teaser but doesn't come together as a compelling entirety.

The only way to play a Klingon is by having a big personality. Even brooding has to be dramatic (Worf). Find an actor that can chew the scenery and you've got a decent Klingon.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
DS9 ep1 went well with the wife. The in touch with your feelings and move on from the past resonated with my wife cause shes all about that. She saw Sisko on stage. I liked it too. Ep2 pretty good too. Lots of costume stuff observations, and she wasn't a fan of major Kiras new do but said it fit the character.

But drat Ep3 was brutal. Cheesy as all get out. Im not sure i can convince her to continue the slog (I warned her it starts slow, S1 is the bad one.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
DS9 is the best Star Trek and it's not even close.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

DS9 ep1 went well with the wife. The in touch with your feelings and move on from the past resonated with my wife cause shes all about that. She saw Sisko on stage. I liked it too. Ep2 pretty good too. Lots of costume stuff observations, and she wasn't a fan of major Kiras new do but said it fit the character.

But drat Ep3 was brutal. Cheesy as all get out. Im not sure i can convince her to continue the slog (I warned her it starts slow, S1 is the bad one.

Bajoran women were all supposed to be prickly (Ro Laren archetype). I wished they followed through with that for the entire series.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 22, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

E4 is the gibberish disease of bad acting.
E5 is Tosk.

That is going to be a hard sell to keep hope alive of finishing the season.

E6 is Q and Vache auctioning baubles, which isn't that bad as lots of things happen.
E7 is the troubles with trills, which at least has a legal framework and Judge Bajudy to make it palatable.

E8 is Ray. Oh. Van. Tick. Aaaah.
E9 is Allemeraine and the Wadi gambers.

You are hosed. Nobody can take that much thespian Bashir and still survive to the last shap. I'd normally not say this, but you need to do some educated episode skipping and get out of S1.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

shadow puppet of a posted:

E4 is the gibberish disease of bad acting.
E5 is Tosk.

That is going to be a hard sell to keep hope alive of finishing the season.

E6 is Q and Vache auctioning baubles, which isn't that bad as lots of things happen.
E7 is the troubles with trills, which at least has a legal framework and Judge Bajudy to make it palatable.

E8 is Ray. Oh. Van. Tick. Aaaah.
E9 is Allemeraine and the Wadi gambers.

You are hosed. Nobody can take that much thespian Bashir and still survive to the last shap. I'd normally not say this, but you need to do some educated episode skipping and get out of S1.

I can't take the ray.oh.van.tick.aaah. episode anymore. Surprised Noone has uploaded that audio bit onto YouTube to showcase how bad it is. If o Brian's life wasn't lovely enough, they made Bashir his BFF.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think the Wadi gambling episode can be safely skipped without missing anything important.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chomp8645 posted:

I think the Wadi gambling episode can be safely skipped without missing anything important.

Move Along... to the next episode!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's wrong with the Tosk episode?

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Move Along Home is a fun episode in a bottle.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Noctone posted:

DS9 is the best Star Trek and it's not even close.

But it's still not good. It's amazing in a Star Trek way, but not absolutely.

If you want bad cheesy Star Trek you gotta go VOY.

Can't stick your dick half in.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
there's some value in being the tallest kid on the short bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Noctone posted:

there's some value in being the tallest kid on the short bus

Even if the Klingon chef whips you up a bowl of poo poo, it's still a bowl of poo poo.