Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'd like to see Orb of Discord, mercy boost and Nano Boost be 30% increases.

50% throws a bunch of characters out of balance.

Discord orb makes playing roadhog really lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how are you other solo queue comp goons doing this season so far?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

Also tends to wreck Winston.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Discord Orb makes playing anyone really lovely

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Verranicus posted:

low to mid 50s, which being honest feels about right to me -- I'm not very good so I don't belong much higher, but I can also tie my own shoes without my mummy's help so I don't belong much lower

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I think I've passed through the salt mines and come out the other side. Some comp games you're just not going to win. Doesn't matter if you try to be a solo flanking superstar, or a model team player. Some teams are just not going to work in sync and there's nothing you can do about it. Instead of worrying about your comp stats, which you have only a tiny fraction of control over, just view it as a way to earn comp points for weapon skins or whatever future shineys Blizzard lets you buy with them.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I'll be cracking rank 60 today. I would have placed like 65+ but the KOTH bugged hosed me on my placement matches :shepicide:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Currently 48, high of 51, low of 45 I think? I've been steadily improving my win% and climbing since I said gently caress it and just decided to play Rein or Mercy every round. I think tactically I'm a high 50s player but I have the aim of a low 40s character.

This is playing 100% solo queue.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FranktheBank posted:

Roadhog makes playing a lot of characters feel really lovely sometimes so I suppose it balances out.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Every game I play goes something like this: Team is full of Offensive heroes who can't shoot straight, or five Widowmakers who refuse to play anything else, at all, ever. Pubbies are the worst.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FranktheBank posted:

Playing Zarya is my favorite to rain on Roadhog's parade. Hook my teammate? Free 50 charge ty ty good fat sir, now get hosed with a giant beam in your face.

Conversely, I love playing Roadhog but I never have the chance to do so since I'm always playing Zarya or Rein :(

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Every game I play goes something like this: Team is full of Offensive heroes who can't shoot straight, or five Widowmakers who refuse to play anything else, at all, ever. Pubbies are the worst.

The AI Bot Matches i end up on are so bad at the end of the game the Bots have all left the group = Seriously most matches are so bad the bots leave early.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

How does Zarya's beam power decay work? Does it decay while you shoot it, or over time? Does it affect the grenade launcher too?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dominoes posted:

How does Zarya's beam power decay work? Does it decay while you shoot it, or over time? Does it affect the grenade launcher too?

It decays over time and yes, it affects both of them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dominoes posted:

It's a steady decay over time.

Power affects both beam and grenade. One of the best ways to get a huge multikill solo is to build up high charge then trap a bunch of squishies and grenade them to death.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

whoops wrogn thread :c

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 17, 2016

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thx bros

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I forget: when (if ever) does Zarya's beam outdamage her grenades?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Regalingualius posted:

Always. The beam deals almost double the DPS of the grenade at every charge level. The problem is, tracking with it can be rough sometimes, especially at lower charge when the beam has fairly short range and a narrow hitbox, while the grenades are always the same arc and explosion radius. Also, by virtue of being explosions, the grenades are easier for hitting enemies with and poking from behind cover, and are especially useful for Tracer and Genji, who are very annoying to fight as Zarya. These are the reasons that the grenade is better at low charge, not the damage difference. If you're fighting another tank solo, always use the beam, it'll kill them significantly faster than the grenades will.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Regalingualius posted:

always for single targets

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

gnome7 posted:

Always. The beam deals almost double the DPS of the grenade at every charge level. The problem is, tracking with it can be rough sometimes, especially at lower charge when the beam has fairly short range and a narrow hitbox, while the grenades are always the same arc and explosion radius. Also, by virtue of being explosions, the grenades are easier for hitting enemies with and poking from behind cover, and are especially useful for Tracer and Genji, who are very annoying to fight as Zarya. These are the reasons that the grenade is better at low charge, not the damage difference. If you're fighting another tank solo, always use the beam, it'll kill them significantly faster than the grenades will.
Wait, the beam's hitbox grows with the charge level?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

NoDamage posted:

Wait, the beam's hitbox grows with the charge level?

Yes. Both its maximum range and width increase with higher charge levels. It never hits more than one thing at a time, there's no piercing or glancing damage with it, but it becomes easier to track with as it charges just by virtue of the larger hitbox.

I had known about the hitbox width change forever because its visually obvious while using it, but the increase in range was something I didn't know until relatively recently. If you find you never have any idea if something is in range of your beam or not, well, that's why. It's especially disorienting as Pharah, who doesn't need to care about Zarya at all when she's at low charge, but at high charge Zarya can suddenly hit you easily for massive damage right out of the sky.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
the sickest zarya plays are lobbing a pharah out of the sky with energy grenades

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Afraid of Audio posted:

the sickest zarya plays are lobbing a pharah out of the sky with energy grenades

I had two of those on the same guy earlier on Hollywood, I'm pretty sure he hated me

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Be prepared to carry gimmick torbs for the next two weeks.

Thanks Reddit.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Feels awfully nice. :3:

You know, compared to usual soloq.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have been playing in some 40-45 groups as a 30 Mercy and it's so awesome to get thanked after a round :)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thanks Reddit.

Wut?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

FranktheBank posted:

As a Zenyatta player, if Roadhog hooks me, I'm as good as dead because he can easily one-shot me with his scrap gun at point blank range, so I'm happy to make his life miserable whenever I can. Squeal for me, piggy.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thanks Reddit.

I'd actually rather get dunked on by good players non stop than win against teams with multiple torbs. Fighting the turrets is a pain in the rear end without getting the mic and poo poo and getting all serious and team work about it. You can't depend on your team to take them out either so you're basically forced to focus on it or face an embarrassing molten core defeat

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Corbeau posted:

Feels awfully nice. :3:

You know, compared to usual soloq.

AsianBIGball

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'll let you in on a little secret, Torb's turret is on the cusp of being bad. Counters to Torb's turret include but is not limited to, Torb, Pharah, Widowmaker, Rein, Dva, Winston, Zarya, Mercy, Mcree, Mei, Soldier, Hanzo, and Zenyatta.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 18, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Duck and Cover posted:

I'll let you in on a little secret, Torb's turret is on the cusp of being bad. Counters to Torb's turret include but is not limited to, Torb, Pharah, Widowmaker, Rein, Dva, Winston, Zarya, Mercy, Mcree, Mei, Soldier, Hanzo, and Zenyatta.

Yeah I realize Torb is basically suboptimal in every situation but I love playing him anyway. I got into a huge multipost argument with some guy on the OF last night where he was saying the turret should have a delay on lockon and despite everyone else saying it'd make an already below average character worse he would not listen to reason.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Thanks Reddit.

Last night I had a Volskaya A defense where people immediately locked in 3x Torb and Hanzo. Needless to say, it was the fastest I've ever lost any round of this game, period. It was insane.

E: this was in comp mode, too btw :(

Papercut fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 18, 2016

ils
Jan 22, 2001
Torb is great against lovely players, but Torb gets rolled by anyone who can shoots man reasonably well.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Yeah I realize Torb is basically suboptimal in every situation but I love playing him anyway. I got into a huge multipost argument with some guy on the OF last night where he was saying the turret should have a delay on lockon and despite everyone else saying it'd make an already below average character worse he would not listen to reason.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/DuckandCover-1316

The key to torb is torb puns.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I got into a huge multipost argument with some guy on the OF

why

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

ils posted:

Torb is great against lovely players, but Torb gets rolled by anyone who can shoots man reasonably well.

Torb is great against teams that don't communicate where the turret is. Even lovely players that talk can at least shoot it.

I've tried using Torb in ranked matches a couple times and the turret is usually good for 1 or 2 kills then gets destroyed and then you're useless because you usually don't have the time to build another turret if they got past your front line anyways.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Except for a strong gun and armor for your bros I guess. I dont see the turret as being overpowered it's just an annoyance. Torb overall has a pretty strong kit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Nitramster posted:

Torb is great against teams that don't communicate where the turret is. Even lovely players that talk can at least shoot it.

I've tried using Torb in ranked matches a couple times and the turret is usually good for 1 or 2 kills then gets destroyed and then you're useless because you usually don't have the time to build another turret if they got past your front line anyways.

Honestly torb could upgrade his turret in 1, maybe 2 hits and I'd be fine with it. Some damage falloff to prevent it from sniping better than most players would be good too.