Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

pmass would be 10x more fun if it didn't say "combat" before damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AceClown posted:

pmass would be 10x more fun if it didn't say "combat" before damage

With all the one-sided fight effects in this format? gently caress that. :gonk:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I think it's funny flavor wise: It can convert all the poo poo Emrakul has converted into Not-Call-Of-Lovecraftian monstrosities into copies of itself.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I did 3 Sealeds so far, went 3-1, 2-2, and 4-0. Some thoughts on the format:
Stitcher's Graft is ridiculously good, unless your opponent is making a ton of chump blockers you just crush them. Probably not good against blue but blue isn't G/W so it sucks.
G/W is the best, it's not close.
Green probably doesn't need as much removal as it has in EMN.
White probably doesn't need as much lifelink as it has in EMN.
All the other colors are durdly as gently caress.

I also did a triple EMN draft. A good summary of that format is that I drafted 7 Galvanic Bombardments and lost to a guy with 4 Midnight Scavengers.

BONUS STORY:
A friend got absolutely blown out when he cast Nahiri's Wrath, discarding 4 or 5 cards, into his opponents 1 open mana. The opponent cast Turn Aside. It was game 1.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

So what I said just in a single sentence.

Yeah sorry, I intended to both confirm you had it right and at the same time point out that judges at a prerelease should really read the release notes. One of those two intentions seems to have come across more clearly than the other--my bad.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Opened Tamiyo, Field Researcher and made a deck around her since my fixing was good. I really like the Emerge cards. Exultant Cultists and Primal Druids for days. Went 2-1, splitting the final round.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've always been obsessed with hulk flash style and birthing pod stuff and keep my dream of someday breaking Fleshwrither. Emerge seems super fuckin' fun, right up my alley.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I thought you can't play both Thalia's at the same time but this is wrong, right? That only applies to planeswalkers...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Correct

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mcmagic posted:

I thought you can't play both Thalia's at the same time but this is wrong, right? That only applies to planeswalkers...

The Thalias have different names, so you can play both.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

if this were anyone else I'd accuse them of trolling :psyduck:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Four Score posted:

if this were anyone else I'd accuse them of trolling :psyduck:

TBF it's pretty rare you have two very playable legendaries of the same character so this doesn't come up a whole lot.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
The same you can play both Akromas.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'll just leave this here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

god pick up your trash

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

TBF it's pretty rare you have two very playable legendaries of the same character so this doesn't come up a whole lot.

I heard the exact same question asked at FNM so no I don't think it's unreasonable to ask.

I was about to ask how many Magic characters received two+ legendary creature cards but I realized it was like double what I was guessing, plus I forgot that DTK existed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This can get absurd, such as having Memnarch and the Mirari on board at the same time as Jeska, Phage, Akroma, and Karona.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

If you control two legendary creatures with the same name you have to sacrifice one of them. If you control two planeswalkers with the same subtype you have to sacrifice one of them. :shrug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
My point being, Jeska, Warrior Adept, Phage the Untouchable, and Karona, False God all represent the same character in the fiction but unless you made the mistake of knowing Odyssey/Onslaught's story you'd never know this.

The legendary rule only applies to legendary permanents with the same name. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Thalia, Heretic Cathar do not have the same name and one is not sent to the graveyard by the legendary rule. Grizzly Bears and Grizzly Bears do have the same name but are not legendary. Gosta Dirk and Gosta Dirk are both legendary and have the same name, so one is sent to the graveyard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My point being, Jeska, Warrior Adept, Phage the Untouchable, and Karona, False God all represent the same character in the fiction but unless you made the mistake of knowing Odyssey/Onslaught's story you'd never know this.

Yeah but my question was more of how many sets of legendary creatures there are that go "Personname, AAAAA" and "Personname, BBBBB". So yeah Memnarch and the Mirari are the same entity but with completely different names and forms. Thalia is at least still ostensibly the same person in both cards.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

Yeah but my question was more of how many sets of legendary creatures there are that go "Personname, AAAAA" and "Personname, BBBBB". So yeah Memnarch and the Mirari are the same entity but with completely different names and forms. Thalia is at least still ostensibly the same person in both cards.

When you summon a creature, you're actually summoning a representation of them. e.g., You're not actually summoning the creature through time/space. But if a creature is notable enough to be legendary, there is a mental/mystical block which prevents you from realizing two copies of that creature into existence. However, if you are summoning a version of them from an earlier/later time period, there won't necessarily be a contradiction. (As compared to summoning planeswalkers where you are no poo poo summoning the walker out of time/space.)

Yes, I've thought about this way too much.

tldr; You're basically the Holy Grail from FSN.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 17, 2016

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This can get absurd, such as having Memnarch and the Mirari on board at the same time as Jeska, Phage, Akroma, and Karona.

OR, how about we go back to original Innistrad, and the fact they released two different versions of Mikaeus in back to back sets in the same block?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Remember to name Thalia, Enraged with your Pithing Needle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AlternateNu posted:

tldr; You're basically the Holy Grail from FSN.

Well, when you put it like that, it makes perfect sense.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

The khans, teferi, thalia, Kamal, akroma, mirri, braids, etc. from time spiral

Korlash, heir to the blackblade and dakkon blackblade!!!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I think you could fill an EDH deck with nothing but pairs(or more!) of duplicate legends with room to spare at this point.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You can even have flipped and unflipped Avacyn at the same time iirc.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kuiperdolin posted:

You can even have flipped and unflipped Avacyn at the same time iirc.

And the other two Avacyns with them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i went undefeated in all of my prerelease events, none of my decks were any good but a series of devastating suplexes caused all of my opponents to get disqualified for slow playing me

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

i went undefeated in all of my prerelease events, none of my decks were any good but a series of devastating suplexes caused all of my opponents to get disqualified for slow playing me

Your opponents sound like real scum. Did they sneak cards into their pools too?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they slow played me, they bled all over my cards, they cried a great deal. pathetic.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tamiyo Über Alles

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Between the girlfriend and I, we assembled... The pretty.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Deckit posted:

Between the girlfriend and I, we assembled... The pretty.

The beast with two backs.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Pulled Emrakul and a coax in my pool, and my partner pulled 2 Gisela, 1 promo. We had a nutty pool but still dropped a game to a crazy UR burn deck and BG delirium deck.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DurdleDuck posted:

Yeah sorry, I intended to both confirm you had it right and at the same time point out that judges at a prerelease should really read the release notes. One of those two intentions seems to have come across more clearly than the other--my bad.

None offence taken, was just checking my work. I didn't read the release notes myself so I wanted to make sure my working was correct.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

God drat it. I still need two of them, and there is no chance I'm paying fiddy bucks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The only cards I needed to finish suicide zoo. Dumb of me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It seems like a fairly legit spike, though. The deck that runs them just jumped to being a real contender in Modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why is Mishra's Bauble even worth more than a dollar in the first place? Drawing a card without having to pay mana to do it is not 25-dollars good.

• Locked thread