Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

mandatory lesbian posted:

saying its the worst in the series isn't saying its bad, and its def not as good as 999 or VLR

One game had to be the worst in the series. There's a 33% percent chance that the game you like the most in this series, is also rated the worst in the series by metacritic.

It's like when people say dark souls 2 is the worst in the series.

saying its the worst in the series isn't saying its bad, and its def not as good as 999 or VLR

I understand that this is my opinion, but it's almost just borderline a fact about these things:

1. Animations are stiff and do nothing for increasing your 'immersion' or whatever in this game than the other two.
2. The story does not do much to try and be better than other games in the series. It's debatable if it's better than VLR or not.
3. The puzzles just don't feel as fun or challenging as prior games.

Amppelix posted:

it isn't? because i think it is (about as good)

If I had to rate the entire series on a scoring scale, VLR and 999 both get scores over 9, but ZTD is a high 8. Which is enough to say it's 'about just as good' but still firmly places it in 'worst game in the series'.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it isn't? because i think it is (about as good)

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I enjoyed this game more than 999 tbqh.

Of course, I am in the minority in thinking that 999's dialogue is atrociously bad and verbose, and both this game and VLR, while not great, are an improvement. It'll be interesting if the 999 remake tightens up the script.

Seriously though, 999 full of crap like describing that "x person is about to speak" followed by that person's dialogue. I'd take cutting out literally hours of mashing through unnecessary descriptions than 3d models or whatever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i bought a visual novel and i hate reading

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
A visual novel is the game one should care the most about what one is reading, and its quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNOrCrfvfs

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

i bought a visual novel and i hate reading

there's too much pointless text = lol i hate reading

???

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I think my biggest problem with the game overall was the way dialogue skipping worked. I tend to read dialogue faster than it's spoken in games so I usually click through the dialogue at a fast pace. I did this in this game only to have to go back through the log and read everything because sometimes multiple lines would be skipped with one click(zero's speech is the biggest offender of this). It was fine in other games but this time they changed it to have lines grouped up for whatever reason and it really bugged me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Txn posted:

I know this is probably a joke, but :laffo:

http://zeroescape.wikia.com/wiki/Snail

This owns

Sometimes, even the people who make wikis can be funny

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like this game didn't have the highest highs or the lowest lows either of the other two games had. Sure the animations are stiff, but VLR's models were pretty atrocious and their animations were also pretty bad. The way I see it is, the presentation is pretty much the same as VLR, we just happen to be able to see where each character is standing in relation to each other, even if it still looks pretty awkward.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

alcharagia posted:

So here's my problem with ZTD's ending: I don't know what it's trying to say. I don't understand where on the sympathy scale Delta is supposed to be taken as a whole, I don't understand what is up with the moral dilemma with SHIFTing which wasn't resolved at all, obviously it has no closure for Team D which is bullshit, and the whole LET'S GO BACK AND STOP MIRA IN ANOTHER TIMELINE is just baffling. VLR's ending was bleak but with bits of happiness, but what even is ZTD's ending?

Slur posted:

The best kind of ending: one where you accomplish nothing, the villain gets the best of you, and you are out of control of the situation.

I mean, the game kind of laid it out for you over and over again: Life is simply unfair, don't you think? VLR iterated on 999's treatment of time and space by making it a core part of the gameplay with the flowchart, and ZLR iterated on VLR by making you think about the implications of that view of reality with more nuance. I'm not going to try and defend the game or the ending to the extent to say it's at all gratifying if you DON'T find that stuff inherently intriguing, but that was the big draw of VLR for me, so combining the morality of that with the idea that fate is uncaring and arbitrary was interesting, even if you can't conclude it with a definitive answer. To put it simply: I find the existential dread of possibly being in one of the 215 timelines that you get mowed down by a gatling utterly terrifying, and a game that asked me "How far would you go to avoid this outcome?" hit all the right buttons for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like all of the Zero Escape games for different reasons and it's kinda hard to rank them for that reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would say VLR is the worst in the series largely because it wastes a ton of time and most of the cast is meaningless and various degrees of crap. (CLOVER.)

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
It really does feel like it has less puzzles, doesn't it? I checked and it seems that it has fewer puzzle rooms than VLR and although we saw the Quantum Computer room as a location, we didn't actually have it as a puzzle room, even though it felt like it should've been.

And since we are talking about general complaints, although as a whole it was much more violent, they still self censored by not actually letting you see Sigma's head blown off or Carlos's head smashed in with a fire extinguisher.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I would say VLR is the worst in the series largely because it wastes a ton of time and most of the cast is meaningless and various degrees of crap. (CLOVER.)

I will admit this, my playthrough of VLR was over 60 hours and a lot of that was spent not really getting any endings and getting a lot of locks without keys.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Even if I think VLR edges out ZTD, the time jumping shenanigans of C-Team is probably my favorite 'moment' of the series.

Carlos comes up with great plans.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Akane: Ok, first let's arm this reactor to blow up.
Carlos: Alright, now what?
Akane: Huh?

That whole sequence was the best and I love C-team's time jumping adventures.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

C7ty1 posted:

Even if I think VLR edges out ZTD, the time jumping shenanigans of C-Team is probably my favorite 'moment' of the series.

Carlos comes up with great plans.

Carlos may just be the best character in the entire series.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Lareine posted:

It really does feel like it has less puzzles, doesn't it? I checked and it seems that it has fewer puzzle rooms than VLR and although we saw the Quantum Computer room as a location, we didn't actually have it as a puzzle room, even though it felt like it should've been.

And since we are talking about general complaints, although as a whole it was much more violent, they still self censored by not actually letting you see Sigma's head blown off or Carlos's head smashed in with a fire extinguisher.

I was really expecting an awesome last puzzle or two that combined mechanics from earlier puzzles and some insanely basic poo poo, and was bummed we didn't get it.

999: Zero's workshop, which featured references to random puzzles, and Boss Sudoku
VLR: Q, which featured random puzzles from the game unlocked via Boss Minesweeper
ZTD: Delta shot Gab

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Waffleman_ posted:

I will admit this, my playthrough of VLR was over 60 hours and a lot of that was spent not really getting any endings and getting a lot of locks without keys.

Sixty hours?!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

alcharagia posted:

Sixty hours?!

sounds like this gamer got a whole lot of value for money, and heck, we should all be so lucky.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Sixty hours?!

I will say probably a good few hours of that were idle time, but still.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

For fun I looked up my 3ds activity log for virtues last reward. 37 hours and I lost ten hours because of of a save glitch. So I did it in about 27 to 30 real hours.

Zero time dilemma is 24 hours but more of it is due to spoken dialog.

999 was 14 hours but it was my second replay after like 4 years or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

I will say probably a good few hours of that were idle time, but still.

How much of it was moving blips on a map?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gently caress, I dunno, it was like 4 years ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

donno*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NO THEY CHANGED IT IN ZTD

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Ineffiable posted:

There's a 33% percent chance that the game you like the most in this series, is also rated the worst in the series by metacritic.

Ok but what if I revealed to you the metacritic rating of one of the games you didn't like best. Would you want to switch which game you liked best?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Waffleman_ posted:

NO THEY CHANGED IT IN ZTD

donno is an acceptable answer for "who killed mira"

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Atomicated posted:

Ok but what if I revealed to you the metacritic rating of one of the games you didn't like best. Would you want to switch which game you liked best?

:golfclap:

There's other games like this, right? Where do I get my next puzzle alt-universe fix?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Arrrthritis posted:

donno is an acceptable answer for "who killed mira"

That got me for awhile. I tried everything. I even said that his dead brother Chris did it. Turns out, you're SUPPOSED to not answer at all! Eric is a goddamned moron anyway. At this point, he doesn't know that Sean is really a robot so a normal person would think that a child would be too weak to strangle an adult woman. Not Eric. It HAS to be the mild mannered child he keeps freaking out on and attacking.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seeing as ZTD sold like 14 copies, I wouldn't hold my breath.

As far as I'm aware, the only system we have statistics for was the Japanese version of ZTD, which sold 9,000 in the first week on 3DS and Vita. That is about as well as VLR did. The game was made with the intention to sell in the West.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I'm watching my wife play through this, and she just got to the library standoff.

Holy hell when you know the Q thing are there a large number of hints in that. The Kill Mira double gunshot and XPass oddity is known.

What I hadn't seen mentioned yet, though, is in the Kill Eric ending, the actual Ending one. Sean and Mira go through the X Door fine, and then the door closes and then boom ending.

Which is weird since ZTD normally only stops a bit at an actual ending or death. Except that of course it ends there. After all, Q/Delta doesn't go through the door. He has no more information to gather.

It's a giant freaking clue and it completely slips by.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

As far as I'm aware, the only system we have statistics for was the Japanese version of ZTD, which sold 9,000 in the first week on 3DS and Vita. That is about as well as VLR did. The game was made with the intention to sell in the West.

http://steamspy.com/app/311240

Not super accurate due to needing visible profiles, etc etc, but it's some insight at least.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://steamspy.com/app/311240

Not super accurate due to needing visible profiles, etc etc, but it's some insight at least.

It looks like the Crusader Kings 2 page is gone (because Paradox asked them to remove it), but when it was up, they had it at around 600,000 units sold before it was taken down (or less, even, as my memory is pretty fuzzy), when Paradox themselves said they sold 3,000,000 (2 years ago). If it is off by the same factor here, it sold like 70,000 units on Steam. This is really good, considering there are also the 3DS and Vita versions to consider, and the fact that VNs are usually considered very successful upon crossing 100,000.

Edit: This is all wrong, and I'm an idiot. Read the next page to find out more!

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 18, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think steam spy is that accurate but I also don't think ZTD did 70k on one of the three platforms it released on.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

I don't think steam spy is that accurate but I also don't think ZTD did 70k on one of the three platforms it released on.

It fits pretty well with my own internal algorithm based upon Steam reviews as well. For the first 500, if it is possible for it to get to overwhelming positive, it usually takes about 30,000 people to reach it. After that, usually, 1 in 300 people review it on steam. I got 63,000 using this. This algorithm has worked as a ballpark estimate for me with most releases where they don't have a Steam review achievement. At any rate, 611 steam reviews indicates a lot more than 14,000.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Don't trust this. Read the next page to find out more.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 18, 2016

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I think you may have some rose-tinted glasses at the difficulty of the prior games. This was probably a *slight* step down in difficulty from VLR (probably due to the fact that they couldn't ramp up difficulty since the puzzles could be done in any order)

But 999 wasn't difficult in any way. It held your hand through the entire game ("hey, did you just pick up an ABC? I'm pretty sure there was something in the XYZ where you could put that") and the final boss was an easy-level sudoku puzzle.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

MegaZeroX posted:

It looks like the Crusader Kings 2 page is gone (because Paradox asked them to remove it), but when it was up, they had it at around 600,000 units sold before it was taken down (or less, even, as my memory is pretty fuzzy), when Paradox themselves said they sold 3,000,000 (2 years ago). If it is off by the same factor here, it sold like 70,000 units on Steam.
So you think it sold 5 times as many copies as steamspy says, because of your personal belief that ALL games have sold 5 times as many copies as steamspy says, for Reasons.

MegaZeroX posted:

It fits pretty well with my own internal algorithm
:rolleyes:

MegaZeroX posted:

At any rate, 611 steam reviews indicates a lot more than 14,000.
Or maybe the audience for Zero Time Dilemma skews a lot nerdier / Steam review-ier than your average game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

It fits pretty well with my own internal algorithm based upon Steam reviews as well. For the first 500, if it is possible for it to get to overwhelming positive, it usually takes about 30,000 people to reach it. After that, usually, 1 in 300 people review it on steam. I got 63,000 using this. This algorithm has worked as a ballpark estimate for me with most releases where they don't have a Steam review achievement. At any rate, 611 steam reviews indicates a lot more than 14,000.

Please tell me more about how you can tell sales of a thing by how many people review it.

e: Does anyone have a link to a copy of the completed flowchart that's online? I've been trying to find one.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Please tell me more about how you can tell sales of a thing by how many people review it.

Linguica posted:

So you think it sold 5 times as many copies as steamspy says, because of your personal belief that ALL games have sold 5 times as many copies as steamspy says, for Reasons.

Or maybe the audience for Zero Time Dilemma skews a lot nerdier / Steam review-ier than your average game.

I recognize the algorithm it is a pretty bad approximation, obviously it varies by how passionate players are and all. However, I'd say it is at least as accurate as Steamspy. Steamspy seems generally worthless in it's estimations, as it is often underestimated by nearly a magnitude (look at other games where official sales were announced, and compare them to Steam spy). At any rate, the 14,000 Steamspy sales doesn't really say anything.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 18, 2016

• Locked thread