Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Emergency Tactics -> Adlo heals a stupid amount, I can generally use that and then go right back to DPSing even in a big pull if the tank has ever heard of a cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I disagree. She can't solo heal EX roulette stuff, but I've been trying to minimize my number of healing spells cast in EX as an exercise in maximizing DPS uptime, and you'd be surprised how much she can do by herself. With a decent tank I can get by with 4-5 healing spells cast in the entire dungeon. Rouse is stronger than you think.

Yeah but you're not taking into account things like proper fairy positioning and rouse when you say "Let the fairy heal and watch netflix." The fairy is surprisingly good at healing, but going afk is a good way to get your party killed.

Also if you're blowing all your aetherflow on lustrates because you hosed up trying to squeeze out one more broil then you're doing the wrong thing.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Tenik posted:

It sounds like your tanks should be making larger pulls.

not emptyquoting.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Since we're talking about Selene anyway, is there any stuff that matters that you can actually silence to interrupt? Seems like stun usually works and silence basically does nothing worthwhile.

I've spammed blunt arrow everywhere with bard and the only thing I've ever noticed interrupting is void thunder from various mobs and lunatic voice from the last boss of Pharos normal.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

There are a few. The only relevant thing I can think of is Beguiling Mist in Weeping City. Most DPSes use their stuns as soon as the succubus on the second boss spawns, so you can't stun it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
You need to Silence Mind Blast in A6S or you wipe. It might be silenceable in A6N too?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Silence was a big mechanic in First Coil, had one major use in Second Coil, and then fell off the face off the earth as far as I can tell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AST lets you give enhanced Arrows to your Monk to time dilation and send their TP spiraling out of control therefore they are the better class anyway

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here. Encountered during a Sunday Void Ark.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here. Encountered during a Sunday Void Ark.

Thats some dedication to a gimmick!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xenoveritas posted:

I think two separate level 60s with no jobs unlocked is the point at which I don't instantly try to votekick somebody for not having a job unlocked. At that point it's just... impressive.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You can't just post that without some more details. Which role? What cross skills used? What kind of numbers are we talking about?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Last night mentor chat became about scholar, and whether to use Selene or Eos. Most people agreed that Selene was best, but the Eos fans had theories on why they liked her better. One said that she heals more which allows you to dps more (bad premise here, also technically not true). Another said "well A3S requires Eos so it's the better fairy." Because A3S is what we should view the rest of the game on :shepface:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Parts of many of the end game raids have a good use for eos, but that's only in part of the fight. Good scholars switch fairies when needed in situations like that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eos's damage reduction and healing increase seem useful as insurance against mistakes. Selene would be more useful if players play well and don't need all the healing, but Eos would provide more of a buffer. At least in theory.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Did anyone enter the screenshot contest that closed today? I think there were only around 150 entrants and 100 prizes to be given away so I swear if I don't win anything I'm calling it a fix. Gimme that Ahriman necklace.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Sentient Data posted:

You can't just post that without some more details. Which role? What cross skills used? What kind of numbers are we talking about?

They were there as an Arcanist. To be fair, they weren't the worst DPS. Haha, just kidding, of course they were. Although there were some fairly Honest Healers that ranked below them.

I never noticed them use any cross-class skills but ACT caught them using Stoneskin.

Edit: Forgot to mention that they used Topaz Carbuncle the entire time.

Pretty sure they were intentionally trolling. But it's Void Ark, so who cares?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Did anyone enter the screenshot contest that closed today? I think there were only around 150 entrants and 100 prizes to be given away so I swear if I don't win anything I'm calling it a fix. Gimme that Ahriman necklace.

Aw, I didn't even know this was going on.

Xenoveritas posted:

Someone....someone did tell them what Jobs were right? I mean... why would you ever make things that hard on yourself?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Aw, I didn't even know this was going on.

Someone....someone did tell them what Jobs were right? I mean... why would you ever make things that hard on yourself?

Judging by their search comment, yes they're fully aware.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eos's damage reduction and healing increase seem useful as insurance against mistakes. Selene would be more useful if players play well and don't need all the healing, but Eos would provide more of a buffer. At least in theory.

In 4-man situations I don't think there's ever been a time where I've though "huh, my healing is too low, better use Eos." The only fight I've ever really actively used Eos has been in phases of extreme primal fights. That 3% skill / spell doesn't seem like much, but every little edge helps. Selene's AOE esuna cleanse is also excellent too, especially if your tank is a warrior.

One thing that isn't really explained well in the game is that if your party has good DPS, you can skip phases of bosses, and it actually makes healing easier. There's a good example of this in the very first level 60 dungeon final boss, that if you're slow on DPS, it starts spawning hard to dodge AOEs. Hence why I think the best mitigation is more DPS.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Xenoveritas posted:

This is why I want SE to remove class equipable from all post 30 gear, it's not like they can't change what can equip what gear, they did it before when they added rogue/ninja.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

This is why I want SE to remove class equipable from all post 30 gear, it's not like they can't change what can equip what gear, they did it before when they added rogue/ninja.

Or they could just make it so you must be an actual Job to queue for any post 30 dungeon in the duty finder. That way if you want to do a dungeon as a class; go right ahead, but only as a premade.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The class gimmick isn't necessarily a bad one, but maybe it should just be reserved for a challenge option similar to iLevel Sync?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah, the class gimmick is actually bad. It might as well be someone with a controller, that only uses one bar, and it's only the first 8 skills they unlocked.

I don't see the need to lock someone out directly at 30, but 50 should be a fair bet.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
re: scholar pet talk, use Rouse. 40% more healing for 20s and only has a 90s cd so you can use it just about every pull. adlo/stoneskin the tank before a pull so you can spend more time manning the broiler. even with multipulls i barely heal in EXDR anymore

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure rouse is 60sec cd, it lines up nicely with Fey Wind so you can stack them for more better heals (I dunno if the extra spell speed actually makes selene cast an extra embrace in 20 seconds :v:)

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nah, the class gimmick is actually bad. It might as well be someone with a controller, that only uses one bar, and it's only the first 8 skills they unlocked.

I don't see the need to lock someone out directly at 30, but 50 should be a fair bet.

It's me, I am the guy who uses a controller. In fairness, I've only been playing Dragoon up to this point, and my whole rotation plus jumps fits in there, my job is not a very hard one. Moving around just feels better with it, and mashing A to hand over key items and fill all those buckets quests want you to fill is way less tiresome.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love playing with a controller. It's comfortable, it's easy to juggle all my dots with healing and pet control, and I find targeting straightforward. On occasion I'll jump between mouse and controller for inventory management or similar.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Yeah, I've got a number key hotbar set up for consumables and other such things, I'm thinking of trying some flavour of mage next and I'll probably have to get used to swapping hotbars quickly at the very least.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Iron Tusk posted:

Judging by their search comment, yes they're fully aware.

Ah, see, here I was thinking top hats and monocles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Davoren posted:

It's me, I am the guy who uses a controller.

That statement isn't complaining about people playing on controllers, because the pad controls in this are actually really good. It's complaining about people who only have one hotbar configured. :v:

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

For some reason I completely forgot that most Heavensward dungeons don't let you do actually taxing multipulls anymore.

So yeah, in EX/60 roulette you don't really need to do any personal healing unless someone's screwing up or you're doing that one bee skip in Arboretum.

Expert roulette sucks now bring back Brayflox style pulls :mad:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lemon-Lime posted:

That statement isn't complaining about people playing on controllers, because the pad controls in this are actually really good. It's complaining about people who only have one hotbar configured. :v:
I still haven't figured out how to do a good multi-bar setup for controller yet (I switch to keyboard+mouse for groups). Is there a trick I'm missing, or is it just putting your less-used stuff on a second hotbar and using LB/RB (L1/R1) to swap between the bars frequently?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I still haven't figured out how to do a good multi-bar setup for controller yet (I switch to keyboard+mouse for groups). Is there a trick I'm missing, or is it just putting your less-used stuff on a second hotbar and using LB/RB (L1/R1) to swap between the bars frequently?

There's an option you can enable that makes holding LT+RT or RT+LT access a second hotbar. Why it's not on by default, who knows.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We had a random BLM pout in protest because I only pulled the first 2 groups in...not hullbreaker HM for expert. Just sat their butt down and didn't do anything until we noticed and kicked them out. Im just like how childish are you to want to go sit back in the queue for 10 minutes?

We still finished in like 23 minutes or whatever even with that litte delay.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I haven't really done the high level mmo thing as back when I used to play them a lot it wasn't so easy to get up there. Because of this I'm concerned about always pulling my weight, but it doesn't sound like the competition is that stiff.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Davoren posted:

I haven't really done the high level mmo thing as back when I used to play them a lot it wasn't so easy to get up there. Because of this I'm concerned about always pulling my weight, but it doesn't sound like the competition is that stiff.

Can you recognize the color orange and then avoid it?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm gonna say a solid 95% of the time.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
give that man a spear and some chainmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh man this feeling... is this what it is to be pro??

Also when I remember to see if any of the names I know of on Cactuar are around they're always offline, if you see Dav Orren add me to whatever goon mess we have going on.

• Locked thread