Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SurfaceDetail posted:

Yea but if they dont have 2.5 for gamescom even the hardiest citizen will falter. Its almost like an actual deadline

All they have to change is the version number. It's not like anyone's going to notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
2.5 has a new baseball sataball cap that uh, has planned features in the future. We can't tell youwhat those features are, because it would spoil Squadron 42.

Only $30, stocks are limited.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Foo Diddley posted:

All they have to change is the version number. It's not like anyone's going to notice

Even better, just say they fixed a couple doors and tweaked the lighting in an area.

-Multiple crashes fixed

Voila!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Even better, just say they fixed a couple doors and tweaked the lighting in an area.

-Multiple crashes fixed

Voila!

Would a placebo-patch work?

In most games? No.

In Star Citizen? Probably.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

:pgabz: says PAAAAAAAAAARP!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Xaerael posted:

Would a placebo-patch work?

In most games? No.

In Star Citizen? Probably.

"Oh wow, it downloaded a whole 30GB! They must have patched a whole lot of stuff!"

Which, now that I think of it, is probably something they're already doing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Solvency posted:

Has MoMA posted since Ben has been in the hospital? Makes you think.

ManOnManyAntibiotics

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

ManOnManyAntibiotics

This is very disconcerting.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Would you consider that they aren't MMOs, and why?

Because an MMO just refers to it having a large number of online players. Does an MMO have to have subscriptions to be considered an MMO?

Getting back to what we were talking about yesterday...

Are they MMOs? Not really. MMOs aren't a strictly defined genre, and contemporary games have increasingly incorporated MMO elements in their multiplayer games. MMOs are defined by their server/network behaviour as much as any gameplay element. You can look at WoW, UO, Meridian 59, and EQ as prototypical examples of the genre.

You increasingly have multiplayer games which do not surface server information, have persistence (character/item/boss/level progression), social/staging hubs, and robust social/communication, trading, and profession systems. Destiny for example is a multiplayer shooter whose multiplayer elements have been bulked up to a point where it imitates an MMO, yet isn't labelled as one. You can essentially apply the MMO label to any modern game with a robust multiplayer system, but then the label would be meaningless. You can make a similar argument for the RPG label, yet people are still able to differentiate between Mass Effect and Call of Duty. It is a matter of degree, creator intention, and expectation.

So where does it leave a game like Star Citizen? You take a look at what was outlined in the kickstarter, and you'll find that multiplayer is not explicitly described at all. In the FAQ there is a question asking if it is an MMO, and they explicitly distance themselves from the label. They mention that there is a persistent world which presumably is where multiplayer occurs, but take great care not to call it an MMO (it is similar to an MMO). There's no mention of server size/simultaneous connections, player interactions, or any of the things that people expect from an MMO.

Look at how they were designing the game at the time. The modular approach shuffled people from self-contained experience to self-contained experience, with the online component being the hub. There was nothing in that design which indicated that it was an MMO. Look at the game presently, and there is nothing to indicate that it is anything more than a very feature rich and robust multiplayer game. Most importantly the creators do not label it as an MMO, it is not marketed as an MMO and from what I can recall isn't even mentioned as an MMO on any of their livestreams. On their website, the marketing copy says "more than an MMO". They are explicitly differentiating the game from an MMO.

The only people calling it a MMO are its fans, and even they are split. The ones who do call it an MMO often have the most unrealistic expectations of the game. Labelling a game an MMO is setting expectations to customers as to the breadth and depth of the online experience. Which is why CIG is making a deliberate decision to label it as anything but an MMO.
By all measures, Star Citizen is not an MMO.

That was really too many words to explain the obvious.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I remember when it was heresy to imply the game would be an mmo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Foo Diddley posted:

Placebo patch is brilliant.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tokamak posted:

That was really too many words to explain the obvious.

So what you're saying is that the only reason its not an MMO is because CIG doesn't want to call Star Citizen an MMO.

At least Roberts told you you'd be in a [paraphrased] "Living, breathing universe" that would "change dynamically based on user (inter)actions". Squadron 42 and Star Citizen were also both planned from the outset, again based on Chris' pitch.

And if "the universe" is supposed to be dynamic and have content added on a weekly (yes, weekly) basis so that more things can be explored and, presumably, fought for/over, why would you think it would be anything but an online game focusing on a large userbase on a small number of public servers?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 18, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Look this whole "is it an MMO?" thing is dumb. You're all forgetting one of Chris' main flaws. He's stuck in the 90s and early 2000s. What Chris meant wasn't this won't be massively multiplayer or online, he meant, "this won't have a quickbar and character progression. It will have realtime combat and won't run on discrete turns."

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 18, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What is this supposed to mean?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Look this whole "is it an MMO?" thing is dumb. You're all forgetting one of Chris' main flaws. He's stuck in the 90s and early 2000s. What Chris meant wasn't this won't be massively multiplayer or online, he meant, "this won't have a quickbar and character progression. It will have realtime combat and won't run on discrete turns."

Press <Use> to cast fireball.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Get well soon MOMA

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Decrepus posted:

This mighty crowd funding campaign absorbs money worldwide to replenish the developer's magical lifestyle. Half of all money used to develop the game and to create jpgs will be absorbed into Chris Robert's bank account. The skepticism of Goons and Derek Smart makes it impossible for Chris Roberts to absorb any money, but all other types of nerds will have all of their money absorbed by the Chris. Even when no jpgs are created and no lines of code written, Chris will absorb some ambient subscription fees.

Want you to know that these RPG spells are giving me many laughs. Need some names though

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What is this supposed to mean?

I don't know, but FrogBear seems very adamant about it, so I'm not going to question it.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

AP posted:

I like the way this will be spun into us being mean.

Hey Citizens how much free pizza and how many donuts did you send to LA huh?

I hope it's nothing serious maybe just a reaction to a bad wing commander tattoo.
This is a good point. Didn't they get a shitload of french fries sent to them the other day?

I mean obviously you gotta have self control and his body has undoubtedly been giving him warning signs for years, but when your workplace is a junk food superhighway it's really hard to just ignore it all. Add stress the mix and ~welp~

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ash1138 posted:

This is a good point. Didn't they get a shitload of french fries sent to them the other day?

I mean obviously you gotta have self control and his body has undoubtedly been giving him warning signs for years, but when your workplace is a junk food superhighway it's really hard to just ignore it all. Add stress the mix and ~welp~

Potatoes fried, Lesnick died.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Remember to eat your veggies, my fellow goons.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Troll Bridgington posted:

Remember to eat your veggies, my fellow goons.

Potatoes are a vegetable!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Potatoes are a vegetable!

So is pizza.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
why eat veggies when you can eat a multivitamin

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

What about deep dish pizza?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

When people are ill everything sort of stops for me and I just wish them well

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What about deep dish pizza?

Sure. I count that as a double serving of tomatoes.

Pizza rolls are okay too. Bless the pizza roll

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I'm hungry now, thanks. :(

I haven't had a deep dish pizza in years.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Lou Malnati's opened up in Phoenix recently. :dance:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Potatoes fried, Lesnick died.
did anybody say "see you in the hearse" yet???

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ash1138 posted:

did anybody say "see you in the hearse" yet???

:vince:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lou Malnati's opened up in Phoenix recently. :dance:

Please tell me someone, like Beer4theBeerGod, has performed corporate espionage on them and stole their recipe. :pray:

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Plural Abysss posted:

Get well soon MOMA

So MoMA = Ben Confirmed? :smug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Streetroller posted:

It does make a lot of sense...

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tomatoes are fruit, though.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Streetroller posted:

So MoMA =ManofManyAilness?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Can't we check moma's IP address. Not to Dix but just see if it comes back to Los Angeles.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I remember reading that Lesnick has like severe issues with his eyes. I think he is blind in one. I think he wrote about how at one point it was assumed he was going to go blind and he had like a whole bunch of surgeries done to save the sight in his one eye, so he got real depressed and that's why he didn't go to college and poo poo since he figured he was going to lose his sight. (Didn't he write about that after he got called out for his IRC shenanigans or something?)

Anyways if that's true I can imagine how lovely that would be to know that in some short order of time you will no longer be able to see. I mean think about that, no more movies, computer games, visual art, relying on one's self, etc. Pretty lovely!

Can't remember what his eye problem is though, I think it's like the same thing Bill Cosby has or something?

• Locked thread