Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Coming back for my yearly playthrough. I've only played this game vanilla and with Shifter, should I use BioMod or that GMDX thing for a bit of a fresh experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Always use biomod.

That said, biomod is just Shifter with balance changes so if you want something different, use GMDX.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Jesus the Flamethrower is a loving beast of a weapon. A single puff will set regular soldiers on fire, which makes them unable to attack and will eventually kill them. Combining it with the level 4 Speed Aug and Advanced Heavy skill lets you zoom around like Sonic while torching every regular soldier without them having a chance at fighting back. Pop a Ballistic Armor for protection for the ones that can pop a round off before you roast 'em, and you are unstoppable.

EDIT: Toasty time!

How's the ammo availability? I always liked it, but never kept it because fuel was so hard to find.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

voltcatfish posted:

Coming back for my yearly playthrough. I've only played this game vanilla and with Shifter, should I use BioMod or that GMDX thing for a bit of a fresh experience?

GMDX is worth doing at least once.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Agreed, GMDX is my mod of choice now

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

How's the ammo availability? I always liked it, but never kept it because fuel was so hard to find.

Ammo is rare, but if you just tap the fire key instead of hold it down, you'll use 5 units of fuel. A single tap will set a regular solider on fire, so it can be very ammo efficient when used right. Each ammo pickup gives you 100 units of ammo as well, so you shouldn't be hurting for ammo at all if you conserve it.

That's not to say that i didn't occasionally run in and hold the fire key down. Hong Kong has a lot of clustered-up enemies that are perfect for holding down the fire key on. :v:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Can fire spread from NPC to NPC? If not, there's a mod idea.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
hey, was there ever concept art for the GEP gun? I wanna make a high definition model of it, but I can't find anything with meaningful detail beyond the HUD model, and that doesn't show the back end or the other side of it.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Colon Semicolon posted:

hey, was there ever concept art for the GEP gun? I wanna make a high definition model of it, but I can't find anything with meaningful detail beyond the HUD model, and that doesn't show the back end or the other side of it.

You can always drop it on the ground in game and get some print screens.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Huh. Just noticed I have an unused Steam key for Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition.
Anyone here not have it?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I don't have it!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions
Enable receiving private messages.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
He doesn't have plat.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm gonna need some line of communication.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

gary oldmans diary posted:

I'm gonna need some line of communication.

I have Plat, and as a Deus Ex fan I too would like it if the other fellow never gets back to you.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

edit

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 16, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm finally playing through Deus Ex again, the last time I played it was when it released. It's great, because I have forgotten so much stuff that it's like partially playing a whole new game.

What a game, indeed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
MrSmokes gets his augmented cigarettes.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I decided to follow up Deus Ex with Deus Ex: HR. There isn't a relevant thread about it right now so I figured I'd ask here. Character models have a strange glitch going on. They have random pixels missing from them. It's like if you c/p'd one into MSPaint and took the paint tool and put dots everywhere. Anyone know if there is a fix for this? I'm playing on PC naturally.

ShinyMcShine
Nov 30, 2004
Certainly. I am ... the, uh, piano genius from the movie, "Shine"

Turn off Tessellation in the graphics options. I think that causes it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ShinyMcShine posted:

Turn off Tessellation in the graphics options. I think that causes it.

Thank you. That appears to have solved it.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Okay GMDX is driving me crazy with its "Failed to find Steam' errors. The things I've googled are complicated and don't make sense. I've tried downloading Deus Ex into its default directory but I get the same error. Anyone able to explain very simply how to get it working?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Add the deus ex folder to PATH in your environment variables.
See here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/74503/failed-to-find-steam-when-starting

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Samopsa posted:

Add the deus ex folder to PATH in your environment variables.
See here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/74503/failed-to-find-steam-when-starting

Yeah it still comes up after carefully following those instructions. drat.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I finally started on GMDX last night. When you want to sneak around the back of liberty island, does the GMDX mod change the layout? When I finished this game years ago I remember that the crate stacking was really trivial, I think you maybe had to stack a couple of crates and hop on a ladder. In this I probably spent about 15 minutes making a tower of babel with crates and then had to make a really awkward final stack to reach the top.

This might have a been the PS2 version though, I actually can't remember if I ever did a full playthrough on PC, just a fair few that ended at different points.

I also like how I found some new dialogue with Hermann. Every run I had I always rescued him but the AI, and game in general, in this mod is hard enough that I just didn't want to waste all my limited resources knocking guards out or trying to sneak past everyone (going for a non-lethal playthrough). He was really pissy and kept interrupting Navarre like I'd just snubbed him at the school disco. :allears:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

the AI, and game in general, in this mod is hard enough that I just didn't want to waste all my limited resources knocking guards out
I don't know about that mod specifically, but I cannot emphasize enough that pepper spray is the most useful and overlooked weapon for the entire first half of the game (except for run and gun types) and not only is ammo plentiful, but the single puff it takes to incapacitate any enemy it passes through is only half a unit of ammunition. And the weapon itself only takes 1 inventory square.
The spray spawns slightly in front of you, so don't use at melee range or it could spawn on the other side of them. Pepper Spray + Baton for regular enemies. Pepper spray + Riot Prod (1 hit) + Baton for MiB.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's useful for disarming the beam tripwires as well.

Has anyone got deus ex running on a vive ?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've decided to finally finish this great game, and my stealth pistol is a weak piece of poo poo. Is there any way to fix this? Because a cyborg secret agent should really be using the fancy futuristicy gun imo.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta

Constr posted:

I've decided to finally finish this great game, and my stealth pistol is a weak piece of poo poo. Is there any way to fix this? Because a cyborg secret agent should really be using the fancy futuristicy gun imo.
Download Biomod and kill JoJo.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've done Hells Kitchen loads of times and I still found something new with this playthrough, an apartment you have to parkour up to. I love this game.

(unless this was a GMDX thing)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

I don't know about that mod specifically, but I cannot emphasize enough that pepper spray is the most useful and overlooked weapon for the entire first half of the game (except for run and gun types) and not only is ammo plentiful, but the single puff it takes to incapacitate any enemy it passes through is only half a unit of ammunition. And the weapon itself only takes 1 inventory square.
The spray spawns slightly in front of you, so don't use at melee range or it could spawn on the other side of them. Pepper Spray + Baton for regular enemies. Pepper spray + Riot Prod (1 hit) + Baton for MiB.

Enemies stunned with pepper spray get a huge damage multiplier on them, so it's worth stunning enemies with it if you're not playing a build that makes you zoom around like Sonic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Constr posted:

Swap the stealth pistol for the superior version of the stealth pistol, the game calls it a GEP gun for some reason.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The sniper rifle with a silencer and laser dot is the stealth pistol. 1,000,000 damage, perfectly accurate, perfectly silent, common ammo type. Scope completely superfluous.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's been a while since I did a pistol run but from what I remember it was mostly about upgrading the standard pistol and the pistol skill.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Guns are for the weak. Prod and baton are all you need. Perhaps gas and EMP grenades for flavor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Guns are for the weak. Prod and baton are all you need. Perhaps gas and EMP grenades for flavor.
*nodding* We're cops.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Greatest Excellent Prod gun is very useful, yes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Prod with the prod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Just gunned down by Anna Navare for blowing smoke-rings in Shannon's face. How unprofessional.

Deus Ex :allears: