Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pookel posted:

You know, I don't care how irrational it is, if there's a suggestion on the table to make all mosquitoes extinct, I'm on team murder the little fuckers, every last one of them.

hope you enjoy the extinction of half the ecosphere where you live, namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

hope you enjoy the extinction of half the ecosphere where you live, namaste

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

You know, I don't care how irrational it is, if there's a suggestion on the table to make all mosquitoes extinct, I'm on team murder the little fuckers, every last one of them.

There was an actual not idiotic scientific discussion about this on NPR the other day, talking about if it would have some unrealized cataclysmic effect on the food web, and the answer was surprisingly that a lot of scientists are leaning towards "actually probably not really" so yeah burn the fuckers

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Not to defend these people who probably haven't thought about this at all, but there are species of mosquitoes that don't drink mammal blood as part of their reproductive cycle that fill most of the same aquatic niches.

We don't know there are no species that depend explicitly on the literal blood sucking parasites for survival, but it seems possible. With more research into the exact role mosquitoes play, I could certainly endorse their eradication except in labs.

We did it with smallpox and we're close to doing it with polio. No one morns those.

Edit: ^^^ yeah that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

\We did it with smallpox and we're close to doing it with polio. No one morns those.

Edit: ^^^ yeah that.

disease: the same as animals

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm starting to think there's a long line of (uniformly male) thinkers whose entire ouvre is just them trying to "get out of their own heads" and relate to the world around them, failing, blaming the world for their personal failings, and retreating into paranoia. I didn't wake up this morning expecting to draw parallels from Scott Adams to Yukio Mishima, but there you go.

Out of idle curiosity, what's the best way to interrupt this process? Or, failing that, direct it towards positive/lucrative/non-harmful ends.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you think about it getting bit by a mosquito a few times a year is exactly as bad as smallpox

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

If you think about it getting bit by a mosquito a few times a year is exactly as bad as smallpox

I think hundreds of thousands of people dying to malaria every year is pretty bad, yeah.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What if we wiped out only the species that feed on mammals? Is that kind of selectiveness plausible?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

disease: the same as animals

In this base their both incredibly simple organisms that cause millions of deaths a year, and contribute no known positives to the human condition. More research is needed, but the underlying ethical question is pretty drat similar.

Being multicellular isn't a particularly good ethical defense to me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think hundreds of thousands of people dying to malaria every year is pretty bad, yeah.

Because that's what everyone was thinking of

And besides it sounds like malaria is the issue there not mosquitoes in and of themselves

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

What if we wiped out only the species that feed on mammals? Is that kind of selectiveness plausible?

Absolutely, we're currently working on a form of genetically modified mosquito that can breed exactly once, but all the children it has are sterile. It was supposed to be field tested in key west because it would be easy to quarantine should we gently caress it up royally but key west is full of hippies who blocked it so who knows

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And besides it sounds like malaria is the issue there not mosquitoes in and of themselves

And west nile and a whole bunch of parasites and yellow fever and dengue fever and chikungunya and zika and bunyamwera and filariasis and sleeping sickness and venezuelan equine encephalitis and myxomatosis and lymphadenopathy and bwamba fever and ross river fever and avian malaria and that's just the ones I feel like retyping from wikipedia's list of mosquito-borne illnesses

Defeating the individual diseases would be great but defeating their vectors would be even better because 1) that's a lot of loving diseases to individually beat and 2) they mostly effect the developing world which we love to ignore so badly that they still have tons of cases of something like snail fever for which the treatment costs twenty cents per child

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I assume so, because it was explicitly mentioned in the first bullet point in the link, is widely acknowledged as a major world health concern, and is the focus of some prominent charity work (Gates' work).

E: Plus yeah, all of the other poo poo that mozzies carry.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what you're right I'm sure this time when we gently caress around with vital parts of the ecosystem it'll be different

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume so, because it was explicitly mentioned in the first bullet point in the link, is widely acknowledged as a major world health concern, and is the focus of some prominent charity work (Gates' work).

E: Plus yeah, all of the other poo poo that mozzies carry.

I think they meant everyone was thinking of the inconvenience of a few bites rather than the disease.

Also I live in florida and it's way more than a few bites, it's a constant barrage every single day of the summer anywhere that's not heavily urban :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You know what you're right I'm sure this time when we gently caress around with vital parts of the ecosystem it'll be different

This is the same logic that has kept new nuclear reactors from being built in the US for the last 40 years

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

This is the same logic that has kept new nuclear reactors from being built in the US for the last 40 years

No I'm pretty sure we have Big Oil and Big Coal to thank for that

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Or ANY nuclear reactors from being built in Australia, which is insane. And BS fears of 'playing God' also drive anti-GMO efforts.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

There was an actual not idiotic scientific discussion about this on NPR the other day, talking about if it would have some unrealized cataclysmic effect on the food web, and the answer was surprisingly that a lot of scientists are leaning towards "actually probably not really" so yeah burn the fuckers

Just mosquitos? I got my redtext by asking why we don't eliminate all animals that pose a threat to indvidual human lives, only keeping DNA samples for study and maybe some like great white sharks in zoos. We're the top of the food chain - we shouldn't suffer a risk from ANY other species.

But apparently it's unfeasible. So start with the mosquitos.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Count Chocula posted:

Just mosquitos? I got my redtext by asking why we don't eliminate all animals that pose a threat to indvidual human lives, only keeping DNA samples for study and maybe some like great white sharks in zoos. We're the top of the food chain - we shouldn't suffer a risk from ANY other species.

You don't say :stare:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Count Chocula posted:

all animals that pose a threat to indvidual human lives

see, I was gonna make some comment about "including humans?" but then I remembered your posts about your stupid dumbass self-centered ~nihilism~ and poo poo so, like, w/e

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Count Chocula posted:

Have you considered exposure therapy for your obsessive fear of death? Like, dying a bunch of times in succession?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Count Chocula posted:

Or ANY nuclear reactors from being built in Australia, which is insane. And BS fears of 'playing God' also drive anti-GMO efforts.

Still, dead worlds are indeed more peaceful, you whiny amaxophobic narcissist. loving hell, get loving therapy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm not suggesting that it's a good idea (although we don't really know how vital they are), but eliminating malaria and other diseases they carry is a genuinely worthwhile goal which is why it gets attention outside of the EA community. It's not just people getting annoyed by mozzie bites.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh my gooooooddd

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

You're more likely to die from cars, yourself or other people first so let's make all those extinct and then we can get to work on destroying great white shark populations

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

You guys should all read the Screwfly Solution.

Great short story, sort of relevant to this topic, about making a species of fly extinct through genetic modification, also an exploration of violent misogyny. It has everything!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

a trolley posted:

You guys should all read the Screwfly Solution.

Great short story, sort of relevant to this topic, about making a species of fly extinct through genetic modification, also an exploration of violent misogyny. It has everything!

Agreed, that story is amazing. But it's the political angle that's still relevant, not the mechanism that puts the allegory in place.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Do you or do you not understand that the amount of mosquito species that carry disease, or even attack humans for that matter, are a minuscule portion of all mosquito species?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To get the thread back on track, Matt Lonely Forney has been suspended from Twitter for being so homophobic Milo got offended: documented here.

He really is a charming piece of poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Count Chocula posted:

They don't keep great whites in zoos.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tesseraction posted:

To get the thread back on track, Matt Lonely Forney has been suspended from Twitter for being so homophobic Milo got offended: documented here.

He really is a charming piece of poo poo.
Matt Fornicator being a My Posting Career poster makes so much sense holy poo poo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

No I'm pretty sure we have Big Oil and Big Coal to thank for that

Sure, they take the lion's share of the credit, but NIMBYism isn't blameless by any stretch of the imagination.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They don't keep great whites in zoos.

They also don't pose a threat to humans because we don't live in the ocean.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Who What Now posted:

... yet, because the loving great whites keep us out. Duh.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm in the controversial anti-vampire camp.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GunnerJ posted:

I'm in the controversial anti-vampire camp.

Anne Rice is a powerful lobbyist for the pro side.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Who What Now posted:

Well yeah, that too. What would be the point? Turn the world into a lawn?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cardboard Box A posted:

Matt Fornicator being a My Posting Career poster makes so much sense holy poo poo

Where do you see that?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh at first I thought "My Posting Career" was a new wordfilter for like, "shitposting" or something.

That would actually be a great wordfilter someone should suggest it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My Posting Career would seem like a good target for a Weekend Web.