Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Please post pictures of her so we can see and totally not just because we jones like dope fiends for parrot pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tendai posted:

Please post pictures of her so we can see and totally not just because we jones like dope fiends for parrot pictures.

*sniff* Look, mate, I just need a couple of jpegs of a conure to get by. I ain't into that *sniff* harder poo poo like gifs or webm's of african grey parrots. That stuff's for serious featherheads looks to gently caress their eyes up permanently.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

*sniff* Look, mate, I just need a couple of jpegs of a conure to get by. I ain't into that *sniff* harder poo poo like gifs or webm's of african grey parrots. That stuff's for serious featherheads looks to gently caress their eyes up permanently.

sorry its the best i can do at such short notice

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Aww Raddy sang me a song, a really high pitched song at 5am. Wasn't that nice of him.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speak for yourself. I main-line Eric the Legend until I can't stand anymore.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

sorry its the best i can do at such short notice

Street gangs look tough where you live, man.

DataDyne
Oct 6, 2005

Happy as a birb can be.
Not new to owning birds, but new to kakariki's.

Recently got this little fella and figured now I got a decent picture of him, I've got to share with you guys.

Anyways this is Marley, he's about a month old he's a red fronted & yellow fronted mix. the other shrieking avocado is Boba, he's a year old and a red fronted Kakariki. They don't get on great yet but it's all positive behaviour.

Enjoy the picture.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I love the kakariki voice.

DataDyne
Oct 6, 2005

Happy as a birb can be.
Yeah, after owning 6 Cockatiels over the years and then just, well Boba picked me in pet shop and after that just everything about them is perfect for me. They might not like having head scratches or the like but they show affection in other ways. Even from the chatter between Marley and Boba, there isn't any like hostile shrill cries, it's just mellow snippets of great sounds.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Do you have a tray or dish for them to dig around in? At the pet shop their kakarikis have one of those flat reptile terrarium trays full of goodies, they're always scratching around like chickens looking for grubs.

Edit:
Like one of these

DataDyne
Oct 6, 2005

Happy as a birb can be.
I use this bedding called Easi-bed which reminds me diced wood, like not sawdust, bigger. I put that down in the bottom of their cages and hide bits of food and fruit in there, I know how they already like to scrat food out of their bowl.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Wet cloud is raining

It's ok because the magic wind machine came out and he turned into a happy little puffy cloud again

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I got my box of various other food brands a week and a half ago, and have let Pion and Putni try them out for a while now.
I got a bag of ZuPreem Natural pellets, a bag of Hari Lifetime Formula, and a tub of Nutriberries.

I'm using the Nutriberries as a snack, and they're definitely popular.

Both other brands of pellets are much more popular with the :derptiel:s than the Nutribird G14 I tried before. I think partly because they're just smaller, but especially since they are much easier to crack and crush.

A couple days ago I tried just mixing the two in a bowl, and it turns out they ate almost all the ZuPreem pellets, while leaving most of the Hari's untouched. The Hari's pellets smell better though...

So that's my experience with cockatiel pellets: Get ZuPreem Natural, they have a good size and are easy to crunch. They also have no coloring at all.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We are at stage 2. It's been a month so quarantine is over and Raddy has his wish, his cage is finally next to mango's and mango has finally worked out what was making the other noises. He seems confused. I'm going to see what happens next and then in a week or two let them out together if all goes well. :D

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Teeka looks fluffy and cute c/d?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wanna cuddle that cloud till it gets tired of it and bites me :3:

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

*fingats missing, still cuddling*

I've taught Pearl to behave in the silliest way possible (for her) by "chasing" her around the bed. She hops away from my hands until she reaches the edge, while I shout "gonna get her" and then I grab her and give her kisses. Miraculously no face parts are missing yet. Even more miraculously, today when she stopped on top of the towel at the edge of the bed, it started sliding over and she went with it, with me grabbing at the last second for the edge of the towel. This left one confused bird hanging by her claws over the side of the bed. Sometimes she give me this look that says "what the gently caress have you gotten me into." Today it was a double.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Potato Salad posted:

Teeka looks fluffy and cute c/d?

Pretty much c, so long as he's been blow dried

Tendai posted:

Wanna cuddle that cloud till it gets tired of it and bites me :3:

Haven't found the point where that happens, except if you hold him waaaaay past his bedtime

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Eejit posted:

Wet cloud is raining

It's ok because the magic wind machine came out and he turned into a happy little puffy cloud again

How do cockatoos get so fluffy?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqFFjxf29k

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Because they are the pure representation of joyous insanity.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
They're monsters

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think it's kinda creepy/charming that every cockatoo knows how to laugh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eejit posted:

They do not laugh, they simply open their beaks to expose a breach into the wellspring of all madness, letting its perturbed utterances spill through the feathery vessel in to the ears of mortals at FOUR IN THE GODDAMN MORNING!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Eejit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGmsqBlBQYs

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8PTMSFMUg

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Amazon: anime villain aesthetic

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

City birds more aggressive than rural birds

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His name is Kefka.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm getting so many emails from back home with little comments about the birds and random photos :3:

Halloween Jack posted:

His name is Kefka.

First thought here too, Kefka would make a great parrot name

i poop fire posted:

They're monsters

It's easy to see why people impulse buy these things, just look at them

nielsm posted:

So that's my experience with cockatiel pellets: Get ZuPreem Natural, they have a good size and are easy to crunch. They also have no coloring at all.

Zupreem is what Steve spontaneously decided to eat too, refused Harrison's fine and Nutribird tropical for over a year

Eejit posted:

Wet cloud is raining

That must be the absolute best considering how soft cockatiels are. Are Greys similarly soft?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
taco tuesday

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

In a similar vein, I don't think I've shared here one of my favorite articles about how city birds have changed their vocalizations to compete with traffic. It is surprisingly both sciency and sentimental, a combination that rarely works for me but hit home here.

Battle Pigeon posted:

That must be the absolute best considering how soft cockatiels are. Are Greys similarly soft?

Only if you entice them to ruffle, which usually is a warning sign. It's so tempting though. Otherwise they are like a less oily pigeon.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

greypearl posted:

Only if you entice them to ruffle, which usually is a warning sign. It's so tempting though. Otherwise they are like a less oily pigeon.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

i poop fire posted:

They're monsters

I wish desperately to fluff these puffs

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

This is the look my grandma's grey would give immediately before lunging for a fingat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

subpar anachronism posted:

I wish desperately to fluff these puffs

No I will not fluff that albino piranha that looks like it just ate the hand of the last person to pet it and hungers for more. I don't trust the sinister schemer on the right, either.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Apprentice Dick posted:

This is the look my grandma's grey would give immediately before lunging for a fingat.

I love that fingat became standard SA terminology after that debacle adventure.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gravity does not apply to the parrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gravity you say? Repost but mango is still the dangle king. I'll take pictures in a bit so you can see how the tips of his flight feathers are going blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_gBSWbxlg