Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

9to5Google is tracking which devices will and won't get the 2.0 update. So far the confirmed "No"s are the OG 360 and the original square LG G Watch.

http://9to5google.com/2016/05/27/list-of-android-wear-watches-getting-the-android-wear-2-0-update/

Also it looks like the Huawei Watch is getting discounted:

http://phandroid.com/2016/06/14/huawei-watch-220-discount/

With the discounts the new starting price is $250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm looking for a new Android watch to replace my old G-Watch R.

Requirements:

-Inductive charging
-Replaceable band
-No flat tire

What are my options?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

What are my options?
Huawei Watch I guess? Does it have to be round? Maybe wait for some releases this summer, I imagine we'll get some announcements soon as it's been pretty quiet for months. Hopefully the Moto 360 v3 is a thing or Huawei do a nice model again because I'm fed up with my v1.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I'm not upgrading again until the tech is available for continuous HR monitoring that doesn't suck.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

With Wear 2.0 and new Qualcomm chipsets all on the horizon, it's definitely good to wait for new announcements if you can.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

With Wear 2.0 and new Qualcomm chipsets all on the horizon, it's definitely good to wait for new announcements if you can.
Yeah I'm pretty much just waiting for a nice Snapdragon Wear 2100 device to show up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I caved and bought a 360v2. See thread title.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
"Upgraded" my HWatch to 2.0 last night. I like some of what they're doing but I think I'll be reverting to an older version for the first time in my history of Android device ownership. There's a lot of polish required here, especially with the new notifications and the gestures on the face. I hope face selection is moved back to being a long press, it being on swipe is way too easy to trigger unintentionally.

When they said developer preview 1 they meant it this time around.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Android Police is reporting there are going to be two Nexus Android Wear devices.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

butt dickus posted:

Android Police is reporting there are going to be two Nexus Android Wear devices.
This would be cool. Need to replace my 360 at some point but no signs of a new 360 or Huawei Watch at all, not even rumours. Has any major OEM announced or released a device this year? I only remember the weird fashion ones and the Casio. Seems like Wear is a bit dead.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There isn't really anything you can do to improve android wear at this point hardware-wise, beyond some amazing technological innovation.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

butt dickus posted:

I'm curious to what is going to make them "Nexus" devices.

Edit: Read the article, sounds like super specs.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 7, 2016

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

This is perfect timing, since the back glass on my OG 360 broke last week. I have a replacement plastic one on order, but far be it for me to pass up an opportunity for an upgrade.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There isn't really anything you can do to improve android wear at this point hardware-wise, beyond some amazing technological innovation.

Count me in for these:

Recently got a Huawei watch when it was 100 off in the prime day sale. Really enjoying it so far.

Works really well for me as I have bluetooth for my cochlear implant and hearing aid, so using the watch I can turn music on at any and control it without taking the phone out. It's awesome.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Over the last couple days, my 360 2 has stopped going into ambient mode on its own. I can palm the screen or push the crown to go into ambient mode, but if the watch waked back up, it'll be stuck again until I notice. Rebooting the watch seems to help for a while (most of a day, maybe). Anything to try before I reset the thing?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Resetting the watch didn't even help. What the poo poo.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My 360 v1 suddenly is only getting 3 hours of battery. Don't know what's going on with this.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Takoluka posted:

My 360 v1 suddenly is only getting 3 hours of battery. Don't know what's going on with this.
Have you tried factory resetting it? That helped me with some battery problems a while back.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nmfree posted:

Have you tried factory resetting it? That helped me with some battery problems a while back.

It died here at work, so I'll have to mess with it when I get home. I'll give it a shot, though!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What's a reasonable asking price for a new-in-box Samsung gear s2? Never opened.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Takoluka posted:

I just ran into this also for my 360 Sport. For me, root cause is that the "always on" ambient display was never turning on. Power cycling is a temporary fix, but Motorola says I can send it in for service.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Quick question for an impulse buy :

Huawei watch or lg urbane? Any clear winner?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Isn't the urbane just a G Watch R with a new case?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iajanus posted:

Quick question for an impulse buy :

Huawei watch or lg urbane? Any clear winner?

Between those two the Huawei is clearly the better choice.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

And it's on my wrist right now and I'm very happy with it so far :D

Mine came with the black leather band and seems pretty awesome so far.

Another question - i was thinking of factory resetting my phone as it was having a few issues, does anyone know how easy it is getting back up and running with a wear in the mix?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Not hard but you need to factory reset the watch as well.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Do you still need to do that? Theres a button to unbind your watch from the phone now but I don't know if you can just bind it to a "new" phone without wiping it.
Not that its a big deal.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Whenever you unbind the watch and connect it to a phone again, the watch is wiped. Apps just sync themselves again if they're installed on the phone. You might have to tweak one or two settings again, but it's otherwise pretty easy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, it connected back up but had a few little issues so I just wiped it back to factory.

Another question - since the wipe Facebook Messenger just works as a notification; there's no way to reply on the watch. I also can't get to it in the list of apps. Any ideas on how to force it back across?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

What's a reasonable asking price for a new-in-box Samsung gear s2? Never opened.

Anybody?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Oh it's the Wear thread, not an actual S2, never mind, can't read.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Should probably ask in the general wearables thread, and also provide some more detail considering there's about 5 versions of the Gear S2 out there.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

K thanks. Sorry I thought this was the right thread.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've been looking for a fitness tracker for running but I've decided if I'm going to do that then I might as well get some smart watch functionality at the same time.

The Polar M600 looks perfect but it's going to be £260 when it comes out.

The Sony Smartwatch 3 does 90% of the same stuff for only £90 but with Android wear 2.0 so close I'm really unsure whether it's worth buying right now.

That said no new device is going to be as cheap so maybe it's the right choice after all.

Can someone persuade/dissuade me?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

frozenpeas posted:

I've been looking for a fitness tracker for running but I've decided if I'm going to do that then I might as well get some smart watch functionality at the same time.

The Sony Smartwatch 3 does 90% of the same stuff for only £90 but with Android wear 2.0 so close I'm really unsure whether it's worth buying right now.

That said no new device is going to be as cheap so maybe it's the right choice after all.

We've been telling people if you want a fitness tracker, right now you should probably buy a fitness tracker. We're not sure the currently available Android Wear devices are tracking accurately.

Also it's a good point about Android Wear 2.0 getting close.

Rastor posted:

9to5Google is tracking which devices will and won't get the 2.0 update. So far the confirmed "No"s are the OG 360 and the original square LG G Watch.

http://9to5google.com/2016/05/27/list-of-android-wear-watches-getting-the-android-wear-2-0-update/

Rastor posted:

Personally my device is the Sony Smartwatch 3 and I like it a lot - but I don't care about accurate fitness tracking. If I did care, I'm not so sure I would like it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I love my Huawei watch, but I will keep using my Garmin forerunner 620 for runs since it's way better for that in every way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Don't forget that there are supposed to be two Nexus Wear devices coming really soon too. It seems silly to buy something else with those so close.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

frozenpeas posted:

I wanted to do this, and liked some smartwatch features, but my battery life of 10ish hours is now 7ish hours and it doesn't work when I'm walking around and instead when I'm at work typing. Don't buy it just for that.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Ok thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll just get a Garmin Vivosmart or something. Or just use my phone. Why do I have an urge to put something on my wrist?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I just want an Android wear device that measures HR constantly and interfaces with Strava.

Apparently the Moto 360 Sport does this, but it looks ugly as fuuuuuuck.