Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think in the retcon of XCOM 1 the aliens invaded with Battleships, Sectopods and Elite Mutons from day 1 so the Commander successfully surviving for two months and actually shooting down some UFOs and capturing a supply ship with ballistic weapons and kevlar is really impressive.

Also Gunslingers are great because on top of being able to dish out some ridiculous damage with really high accuracy, they can still snipe perfectly well because 90% of the effectiveness of the Sniper Rifle comes from Squadsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So, is this game trying to tell me that XCOM Enemy whithin was actually an alien hallucination that occured some time after the XCOM headquarters got invaded? That would be a creative retcon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

I don't actually own this game - waiting for a 40% or more sale on steam. :v: I watch Beagle a lot.

I find the setting and general premise of X-COM 2 a significant disappointment, so it's either waiting for DLC or an expansion to fix the issues I have with the game or wait for a big sale.

Well you just did, it was on sale during the steam sale.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Well you just did, it was on sale during the steam sale.

And the Humble Bundle, for 40% off.

Edit: Newegg has the Deluxe Edition for 45% off and the Standard Edition for 40% off. Digital code, not physical copy. They also have the Season Pass, but only for 20% off.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 18, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lone Badger posted:

Those sectoids had made some sick gains in their downtime since XCOM1.

Pectoids.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Tombot posted:

So, is this game trying to tell me that XCOM Enemy whithin was actually an alien hallucination that occured some time after the XCOM headquarters got invaded? That would be a creative retcon.

Yep. All those games of EU/EW were just battle sims while captive. "The sheer volume of encounters you were processing was astounding," indeed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tombot posted:

Yeah. Enemy Within is actually the aliens running scenarios to see how the resistance might handle advent mecs and genemods.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Nevermind, sperging.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 18, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ulmont posted:

Yeah. Enemy Within is actually the aliens running scenarios to see how the resistance might handle advent mecs and genemods.

So it's basically MGS 2. Minus A.I. Vahlen saying "I need scissors,61."

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like my snipers to stay snipers but if you don't take lightning hands every time then I just don't know what to say.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

VolticSurge posted:

So it's basically MGS 2. Minus A.I. Vahlen saying "I need scissors,61."

"I need scissors- More corpses."

Avitus Vahlen reveals a terminator suit made of alien corpses.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I eagerly await my soldier's appearance now, just because I'm curious how Jade will pronounce her name :allears:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Personally I can't wait till my character shows up. I already got a call out from how ridiculous they look, so its absolutely essential they appear in the LP

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Jade Star posted:

Operation Nigel Cummings' Fart

A minor correction: grenade damage spread isn't 50-50; it's 80-20.

DefaultGameData_WeaponData.ini posted:

FragGrenade_BaseDamage = (Damage=3, Spread = 0, PlusOne = 20, Crit = 0, Pierce = 0, Shred=1, Tag = "", DamageType="Explosion")

You could have got a 100% chance to hit that last guy with the shotgun, and this is one reason why I find swords to be slightly underwhelming. The problem with swords is that 88% chance to hit is 12% chance to die. Of course, that last guy was on fire, so he'd have burned to death at the start of the next alien turn anyway. Firaxis may have conceded that sword-haters had a point - swords got two buffs in the last patch.... but Jane Kelly is benefitting from neither of them right now, because one needs a promotion and the other needs the Gorilla tactics school.

Oh, and I guess it's no longer a spoiler to post this:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh man, digging through Ini's. I hate doing that, but love seeing the actual code to clarify things.

So is that 80% to do 3 damage then? cause plusone=20 doesn't really tell me.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Presumably, it's plusone to damage, and the 20 is what the rng is checked against for the variance. so yeah, 20% for 3+1, 80% for just 3

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Agreed. Once you get the special ammo types it can get completely stupid with gunslingers.
Gunslingers are fun and while the Sniper tree has some good skills, I found that with the way the game is designed being able to have my sharpshooter be mobile and able to (eventually) damage multiple enemies (while still having a backup rifle) at once to be much more useful.
That said there are some missions where I'd rather take a specced Sniper rather than a Gunslinger, but those are less common.

Cythereal posted:

Also, Jade, I won't be bothered if you rename Alessandra to something you can pronounce. :v:
Nah, Jade should keep the name as it is: it'll be this LP version of "Buenos Aires" from the previous Commander's Guide. :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 18, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to dress a sharpshooter up as a cowboy?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Is that converter mission new or special for the difficulty level you are playing at? I admit I haven't played for a long while and I did play on the easiest difficulty as I was/am still awful at the game but I distinctly remember that the mission after the tutorial was always a bomb mission on a statue and I can not remember ever playing the mission you have just shown.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

koolkevz666 posted:

Is that converter mission new or special for the difficulty level you are playing at? I admit I haven't played for a long while and I did play on the easiest difficulty as I was/am still awful at the game but I distinctly remember that the mission after the tutorial was always a bomb mission on a statue and I can not remember ever playing the mission you have just shown.

Bomb mission on statue replaces tutorial (you play the team playing distraction)

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Stormgale posted:

Bomb mission on statue replaces tutorial (you play the team playing distraction)

Ah that must have been it, thanks for pointing it out.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Could you pot up Guava's mic audio a bit? Towards the end of the second video he was getting kinda hard to make out at times.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah, working on that. Guava is a natural soft speaker, calmer, more sensitive kind of guy than I am with my brash, louder more outspoken American ways. Interestingly, he did bump up his volume from the first recording, so I guess we still have a ways to go.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Unexpectedly difficult, since there's not a lot of clothing options that look sufficiently cowboy-like. I tried and wound up with whatever the hell this is supposed to be:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Crocodile Dundee.

That is what you made.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now make him a Ranger,for accuracy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This was posted in the Games thread.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Unexpectedly difficult, since there's not a lot of clothing options that look sufficiently cowboy-like. I tried and wound up with whatever the hell this is supposed to be:

We call it the Gay Steve Irwin

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Can we keep Sq. Jane Kelly on board for the moment? She seems pretty good at her job and it will be a shame to retire her to permanent paperwork forever.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
She'll be in charge of training you all to go gently caress up 99% shots in the field.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

TheNabster posted:

Can we keep Sq. Jane Kelly on board for the moment? She seems pretty good at her job and it will be a shame to retire her to permanent paperwork forever.

send her on increasingly dangerous and suicidal moves and see how long she lives

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
That first mission when I played XCOM 2 made me go "haha, a Sectoid," followed by "oh, you're a little beefy" and then "jesus loving christ" when it took its turn.

The Sectoid did that thing it does as its first action on my first mission. Got my Jane Kelly killed. :psyduck:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
She will be a good suicidal scout.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

AriadneThread posted:

send her on increasingly dangerous and suicidal moves

She's a ranger.

That's what you do.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
One thing that always bugs me is the overuse of stock animations, like your soldiers on a return trip from a successful mission. One guy pats his knees, leans forward, then leans back. Two more soldiers pat their knees and lean forwards and back, the first guy does it again. When a full six man squad is doing all that again and again it just gets jarring. Not just in the skyranger, I saw a playthrough where the player was setting up a project in the proving ground and two engineers were putting synchronized swimmers to shame, using a wrench, standing up and wiping their brows in perfect harmony.

Unfortunately, I doubt even modders can fix that issue.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Rabidredneck posted:

Two more soldiers pat their knees and lean forwards and back, the first guy does it again. When a full six man squad is doing all that again and again it just gets jarring.
It's important to triple check for knee injury. It could be career ending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

tlarn posted:

That first mission when I played XCOM 2 made me go "haha, a Sectoid," followed by "oh, you're a little beefy" and then "jesus loving christ" when it took its turn.

The Sectoid did that thing it does as its first action on my first mission. Got my Jane Kelly killed. :psyduck:

That fucker killed half my squad, first with his special things and then second with 'Okay, all he has is special things, oh gently caress he still has a gun.'

Also, LP has me finally trying the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nyaa posted:

It's important to triple check for knee injury. It could be career ending.

This made me laugh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lone Badger posted:

I've got soma passable Ocelots, though I had to go for brown vest instead of a trenchcoat for Shalashaska, and Adamska needs a beret mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

GuavaMoment posted:

She's a ranger.

That's what you do.

i'm glad we see eye-to-eye

• Locked thread