Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Posting from the past (not completely caught up).

No. Romanticize my involvement anyway you want, but the ToS is still pretty tight. CIG wasn't compelled to offer a refund - they did so on their own accord. And contrary to what some of you believe, this is not a 'legal' precedent - nice try. I'm glad that Streetroller got his cash back. Buyer's remorse is a terrible feeling and perhaps streetroller might be more conscientious with his spending on goods/services that may or may not be tangible. However, I'm not going to nitpick on semantics or try to detract from any of your beliefs. I still hold that CIG has much more to show and are much better off than in the picture some of you are trying to paint.

Now back to the 50 pages I need to catch-up.

Disagreeing with ToS changes is buyer's remorse now?

(I hope you're feeling better :lesnick:)

iron buns fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

I still hold that CIG has much more to show

How do you feel about Clown Emporium spending money on booth(s?) at Gamescom even though that hobo guy has admitted they'll have nothing new to show?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

revmoo posted:

A megawatt in a square centimeter. What?

That would be roughly equal to 23 arc welders running full blast. Nobody is ever putting that much juice into a cpu.

Not to mention that the power has to come from somewhere too. You are pretty much set with a 800W PSU for a normal pc these days so I don't know where the 10^6 watt would even come from. According to wikipedia the loving Sunway TaihuLight, the world fastest supercomputer right now, uses 15MW and that uses a lot of cores.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FrankieGoes posted:

And 100 is not much different than the soft instance cap I remember in EQ2. So what makes EQ2 an MMO and SC not an MMO?

EQ2 came out 12 years ago, by the time Star Citizen came out it'll be what 15 years old? That should not be your benchmark for what makes a good game.

Now EVE makes headlines for having 6000 player battles but those are just the headlines. 50-100 player battles happen every week, 500-1000 players in hub systems is normal every day. If you have 100 system with 1,000,000 players as they claim then, even if you shard it over the 3 zones that's over 3000 players per system. Realistically there will be larger population in the core systems with fewer in the out ones. So you're looking at what 6000 players in a core system, now not all of them are going to be logged in at the same time so let's pretend they're super disciplined and only play an hour a day, evenly distributed. So each core system will have 250 active players at any one time. All of those players must be able to interact with every other player in the system, if they can't then it's not an MMO really. That's extremely optimistic about the spread of players, it's more likely at peak times most 50-75% of those player will be wanting to play at one time.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ManofManyAliases posted:

I still hold that CIG has much more to show and are much better off than in the picture some of you are trying to paint.

THEN WHY DO THE MASTERS OF OPEN DEVELOPMENT NEVER SHOW ANY OF IT YOU DISINGENUOUS JACKAL?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

Glad youre out of the hospital!

Ben just gave someone the password to the MoMA account. It was probably "D0nuts1."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Last time I logged into eve, jita had 1000+ players constantly.

This was before all the optimizations and poo poo years ago, IIRC it's twice that now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Pounded in the butt

A short story about love

Pounded in the butt

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
To be fair Eve runs at 1/10 the speed most FPS games do. Updating each player only once each second.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lladre posted:

To be fair we drop a G on a fishing trip several times a year, so it's not exactly out of the realm of normal.

Whenever I really want something that's expensive (some of the purchases have been over three grand) I think about it a lot and then get really drunk and bam, I wake up the next morning and see a shipping notice for it.

But I do that with stuff like guns and telescopes and other things that exist.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

MoMa (aka Toast) wrote it. Then Ortwin reviewed and signed off on it.

That's why they're hosed. Hence this gem from my latest blog

You know absolutely NOTHING about ANYTHING. Wait, I didn't bold it like you do:

You know nothing, Derek Smarttttttttttt

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

No. You'd be the only one interested in that sort of news. Most of us simply don't give a poo poo.

ps: There was a Pink elephant in my phone earlier today. I totally thought it was - right there in reality. So yeah, there must be a Pink elephant here with me.

Because he has no proof, and he won't get it. Hint: I'm not Toast = p

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
This is a reminder that MOMA called me an idiot and laughed at the concept I would ever get a refund.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Lladre posted:

This is a reminder that MOMA called me an idiot and laughed at the concept I would ever get a refund.

Well, he was 50% correct :)

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

All of that are YOUR words. The joke's on YOU mate.

You clearly haven't been paying attention if you think that, true or false, the "media" give a poo poo about some CIG Shillizen posting on a dead gay comedy forum when there are so many other far more interesting CIG/Star Citizen things they could be or should have written about.

Get over yourself.

Please don't burn me at the stake for this, but for this one time only: Derek Smart is right. No respectable media will give a poo poo about what is said in this thread on this forum.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ManofManyAliases posted:

No respectable media will give a poo poo about what is said in this thread on this forum.
The irony in this is that CIG pays way too much attention to what is said here though

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

Please don't burn me at the stake for this, but for this one time only: Derek Smart is right. No respectable media will give a poo poo about what is said in this thread on this forum.

Yeah but we're only talking about gaming media here. This is not a serious post.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
what about when that court case had to talk about buttcoin?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

Because it doesn't matter if MoMA is or isn't Toast. Question him all you like, he gave you an answer.

I'm not Toast.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well, he was 50% correct :)

drat you and your logical reasoning!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

gently caress off, Toast.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

the ToS is still pretty tight.

He got the refund because it isn't.

quote:

CIG wasn't compelled to offer a refund - they did so on their own accord.

Not compelled, but only a moron wouldn't, given the likelihood of the very danger of a...

quote:

And contrary to what some of you believe, this is not a 'legal' precedent - nice try.

...precedent. Which is precisely why they refunded. Litigation is also about avoiding precedents, but you know this, right, being legal and all?

quote:

I'm glad that Streetroller got his cash back. Buyer's remorse is a terrible feeling and perhaps streetroller might be more conscientious with his spending on goods/services that may or may not be tangible.

How patronising and paper-thin. It doesn't have to be tangible to be a service that was paid for. A service not delivered, your desperate wish-fulfilment to the contrary.

quote:

However, I'm not going to nitpick on semantics or try to detract from any of your beliefs.

Apart from each sentence of this waffle. Good con artists know how not to do this. You're terrible at it.

quote:

I still hold that CIG has much more to show and are much better off than in the picture some of you are trying to paint.

You must feel awful right now, a refund might help. Or some remedial con artist training by a professional.

Every sentence a :lol: with old Toasty here :buddy:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not Toast.

Did you log on Toast's SA account again, Jared

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sunswipe posted:

gently caress off, Toast.

Hi Sunswipe!

edit: I'm not Toast.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 18, 2016

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

I mean, act like a fool on the Internet - get treated like one, no?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Aramoro posted:

EQ2 came out 12 years ago, by the time Star Citizen came out it'll be what 15 years old? That should not be your benchmark for what makes a good game.

Now EVE makes headlines for having 6000 player battles but those are just the headlines. 50-100 player battles happen every week, 500-1000 players in hub systems is normal every day. If you have 100 system with 1,000,000 players as they claim then, even if you shard it over the 3 zones that's over 3000 players per system. Realistically there will be larger population in the core systems with fewer in the out ones. So you're looking at what 6000 players in a core system, now not all of them are going to be logged in at the same time so let's pretend they're super disciplined and only play an hour a day, evenly distributed. So each core system will have 250 active players at any one time. All of those players must be able to interact with every other player in the system, if they can't then it's not an MMO really. That's extremely optimistic about the spread of players, it's more likely at peak times most 50-75% of those player will be wanting to play at one time.

Where did I say anything about a good game?

e: if your definition of an MMO = players in the same place can never be instanced off from one another, then EQ1 is an MMO and EQ2 is not an MMO.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 18, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shut up, Toast

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Nicholas posted:

one time i got really drunk and bought a trumpet off amazon.

edit: the trumpet was $100 and it was actually mailed to me

One time I got really drunk, sold all my gear in wow and bought a pet parrot. Woke up the next day very confused.

Edit- wait we're swapping real money stories aren't we. Nope never been that drunk

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

:ironicat:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Fools club card carrying member.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Posting from the past (not completely caught up).

No. Romanticize my involvement anyway you want, but the ToS is still pretty tight. CIG wasn't compelled to offer a refund - they did so on their own accord. And contrary to what some of you believe, this is not a 'legal' precedent - nice try. I'm glad that Streetroller got his cash back. Buyer's remorse is a terrible feeling and perhaps streetroller might be more conscientious with his spending on goods/services that may or may not be tangible. However, I'm not going to nitpick on semantics or try to detract from any of your beliefs. I still hold that CIG has much more to show and are much better off than in the picture some of you are trying to paint.

Now back to the 50 pages I need to catch-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk8lbWKFeBg&t=222s

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hope Toast likes my Streetroller TOS gif when he gets to it

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

mrchinchin25 posted:

One time I got really drunk, sold all my gear in wow and bought a pet parrot. Woke up the next day very confused.

Edit- wait we're swapping real money stories aren't we. Nope never been that drunk

You know. I sold a rare parrot pet for soooo much gold.
The next day I got another one.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lladre posted:

Fools club card carrying member.

Gold Member.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

No. Romanticize my involvement anyway you want, but the ToS is still pretty tight.
…aside from crumbling instantly at the threat of coming under legal review.

quote:

CIG wasn't compelled to offer a refund - they did so on their own accord.
…after the threat of their unenforceable ToS coming under legal review, which would have not just compelled them to stick to the agreement they had with the user, but quite possibly also gotten them in hot water for misrepresenting said agreement in dealing with payment processors and the AG.

quote:

And contrary to what some of you believe, this is not a 'legal' precedent - nice try.
True. It's only a precedent in terms of what legal review will do to the ToS: rip its flimsy arse apart since CIG must at all cost make sure that it is not tested in court. If this means voiding the ToS at the slightest opposition — ironically enough to maintain the illusion that it has any validity — then so be it.

quote:

However, I'm not going to nitpick on semantics or try to detract from any of your beliefs.
Yes you will. In fact, you already did, and as always, your ignorance of the topic meant that you were already wrong the instant you even attempted to deflect the reality of what had happened. All that will happen now is that you will keep doing so and thus keep proving yourself wrong, as you always do.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 18, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Ben Toast stop posting and get some rest

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71kQUjnkUs

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ToastMa is in dire need of a Mod's Challenge, though I don't trust Derek to come up with an interesting one.

EDIT:

ManofManyAliases posted:

lol nice meltdown

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Streetroller posted:

MoMa doesn't realize that within the next 12-18 months, there's going to be another financial crisis and people will be doing bank runs on SC regardless of how it does.

I'm just an intermediate accountant though, so what would I know.

Can't wait till he finally sees the net closing around him and realizes it's too late. :munch:

Did you get nervous when you blew three years' worth of allowance on online goods that weren't delivered to you right away?

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 18, 2016

• Locked thread