Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Dollar coins? Hah, might as well carry around a stack of beaver pelts to trade for point blankets and caribou lard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

The reason dollar coins never take off is because people treat them like a collectors item or a novelty, and hang on to them. Then once the mint realizes that they aren't circulating like other coins do, they stop production until the next time they decide to try the idea. The solution is to just stick with it until people get used to using them, but, well :shrug:

The older dollar coins (Morgan, Peace, Eisenhower) are pretty big - 38mm or 1.5 inches. Not an issue in a purse, maybe, but they kill a wallet. The newer ones are almost the same size as a quarter and resulted in a lot of confusion - every once in a while I'll still get an Anthony instead of a quarter.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
To answer your question: Yes, Doris is flirting with him. She's played by a former playmate.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

About a month ago I saw the musical of Reefer Madness in a small theater and it was so good. If you haven't seen it and you have the chance for it do it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oh hey, they showed their badges

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Argas posted:

They work in Canada but I guess we're all loonies to you guys.

so much so that we ditched the $2 bill for the toonie :)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Of course, a lot of Americans seem to struggle with the concept that two dollar bills are even a thing.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

SpookyLizard posted:

While it doesn't deal exclusively with addiction, the Wire is a fantastic show about Police, Drugs, Addiction and how institutions of all kinds trample all over everyone.

Ohh, yes, that was one I thought about; addiction isn't the sole focus (there are a LOT of concepts being bandied around in all seasons), but the parts that did, such as Bubbles' entire storyline, is effective and heart wrenching. The other famous show I thought about was Breaking Bad; that's a show about selling drugs, true, but it certainly seemed to me that ol' Walt White became addicted to the lifestyle... an addiction which destroyed all the recognizable parts of him.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I need to give that Man With the Golden Arm segment a third attempt today. Last two times I was a bit sleepy and dozed off because your voice is that easy on the ears, Bobbin.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Talking of old movies, I saw The 39 Steps today, the original 1935 with Robert Donat I mean. It doesn't seem quite like noir, not really, a few of the elements are off and it feels too... bright? But it does nail the feeling of paranoia and that of the whole world turning on a dime against you and everyone either doesn't believe you or is trying to kill you and you don't know where to turn... I think the only thing I would change is that the main character seems very assured of what's going on, and I think he could do with a little more doubting of his sanity for the camera, because god knows, I'd start wondering if I were going mad if it was me...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

Ohh, yes, that was one I thought about; addiction isn't the sole focus (there are a LOT of concepts being bandied around in all seasons), but the parts that did, such as Bubbles' entire storyline, is effective and heart wrenching. The other famous show I thought about was Breaking Bad; that's a show about selling drugs, true, but it certainly seemed to me that ol' Walt White became addicted to the lifestyle... an addiction which destroyed all the recognizable parts of him.

The first season is about following the drugs and drug dealers.

By the end of the show its really about Baltimore.

Nedge
May 11, 2008

Cakedog: The immortal manchild of science and tasty snacks.
I never knew "grasshopper" was just a term for potheads. I always thought it was specific to when you were trying to buy bud from a dealer directly instead of through the friend you met them through. This game is far more informational then I expected from a 40's buddy cop story.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Haven't you been paying attention? There are no buddies here. Everyone pretty much hates Cole.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Zerbin7 posted:

Haven't you been paying attention? There are no buddies here. Everyone pretty much hates Cole.

hey, hey now Cole makes a friend, just not until a few cases in to the Arson desk. I also feel like Bekowsky counts since he and Cole act friendly towards each other outside of the Traffic desk

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

The Wire is a classic, of course, but David Simon wrote a book that was turned into an HBO miniseries that is specifically about addiction, namely The Corner. A couple of the real-life people he wrote about for that book were later cast in The Wire in smaller parts.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is one of the only good Vice cases, in my opinion. It's very Noir.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God, Sheldon is such a dipshit.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
First Phelps puts the knife back in the pocket of the man who just assaulted him, then Roy loudly suggests they tail Candy right outside her motel room. Good policework, gentlemen.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, hearing about the stuff RKO put out, it's sad so see they met such an ignominous end :(

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes:

- Paper is dated 8th of September. Considering this was a monday and the previous newspaper (from "Black Caesar") was dated to the 3rd, this must mean that "Reefer Madness" took place in-between those dates.
- According to www.usinflationcalculator.com $11755 in 1947 is equivalent to $127058.37 today.
- The Ascania would not sail from New York at that point in time, possibly never.

Wikipedia posted:

Ascania was returned to Cunard and refitted, resuming passenger service on 20 December 1947 on the Liverpool to Halifax route. She underwent a major refit in 1949, to 14,440 gross tons and with accommodation for 200 1st and 500 tourist class passengers, and returned to service on 21 April 1950 on the Liverpool-Quebec-Montreal route. Ascania was again taken up as a troopship for the Suez landings and finally retired in December 1956.
- Would Candy be likely to be used as a real name (she wrote it on the coupon) instead of a nickname or short form of Candice?
- Bob Hope was technically British as well, though noone would probably think of him as a British celebrity.
- Nobody mentions air travel as a possibility, even though both the Los Angeles Airport and Lockheed Air Terminal were in operation at the time. Haven't been able to find out what routes were available, however.
- The familiar dude was apparently Richard Coombs of Coombs Automotive, last seen in "A Slip of the Tongue", according to the game wiki.
- Also according to the wiki, the tavern called "Pig and Whistle" next to the Egyptian Theatre is apparently a reference to the movie Chinatown.
- The Egyptian Theatre is apparently based on Grauman's Egyptian Theatre, which is still in operation as a cinematheque. According to the marquee, there are shows at 7 and 9 pm, but no staff or patrons are around when Phelps and Earle arrive at 9:05 pm.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 19, 2016

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, Mervin's Harvey Fierstein impression is rough.

davidspackage posted:

First Phelps puts the knife back in the pocket of the man who just assaulted him, then Roy loudly suggests they tail Candy right outside her motel room. Good policework, gentlemen.

Let's be fair here, Roy's barely a cop to begin with. As for the knife thing, I'm guessing with no charges being filed (though didn't Carlo assault a police officer?) Cole can't legally confiscate it.

I also had a thought about the odds. Since Albert only had three bookmakers listed I'm wondering if they were either in on it or they were coincidentally playing long odds to have Albert win. Admittedly I know very little about oddsmaking, either way a lot of the setup to this (:haw:) doesn't add up.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Let's be fair here, Roy's barely a cop to begin with. As for the knife thing, I'm guessing with no charges being filed (though didn't Carlo assault a police officer?) Cole can't legally confiscate it.

I also had a thought about the odds. Since Albert only had three bookmakers listed I'm wondering if they were either in on it or they were coincidentally playing long odds to have Albert win. Admittedly I know very little about oddsmaking, either way a lot of the setup to this (:haw:) doesn't add up.

It's an illegal switchblade. Cole could have confiscated the blade on the grounds of him having it at all.

Also, the way bookmakers work is they set odds based on how they figure people will bet. So if one person bets $50 that one boxer will win and another guy matches that, the odds are 1:1. But if one person bets $100 and the other guy bets $5, the odds are 20:1. It gets a bit more complicated than that since you can also bet on specific outcomes (a knockout, a knockout in a specific round, the match goes the distance, etc), and bookies will adjust the odds so that the house always ends the day with more money than it started with, but for the most part bookies don't make odds so much as they predict them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's an illegal switchblade. Cole could have confiscated the blade on the grounds of him having it at all.

Also, the way bookmakers work is they set odds based on how they figure people will bet. So if one person bets $50 that one boxer will win and another guy matches that, the odds are 1:1. But if one person bets $100 and the other guy bets $5, the odds are 20:1. It gets a bit more complicated than that since you can also bet on specific outcomes (a knockout, a knockout in a specific round, the match goes the distance, etc), and bookies will adjust the odds so that the house always ends the day with more money than it started with, but for the most part bookies don't make odds so much as they predict them.

Fair enough about the illegal blade thing, either I missed that or just thought it wasn't illegal in 1947. It could be entirely possible that Albert or Candy ran some odds on Albert getting a knockout in the round that he did, hence the high odds of him even doing it if he's not the favorite, but that still means everyone else was betting on Kid Galahad as a sure thing, so yeah it's still confusing.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Not to mention that if they had arrested him for assault on a police officer, Candy would probably not have been killed. Phelps feels no apparent guilt about this fact.

Shame that they didn't go all the way and include eye holes in the newspapers used for going incognito.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Fair enough about the illegal blade thing, either I missed that or just thought it wasn't illegal in 1947. It could be entirely possible that Albert or Candy ran some odds on Albert getting a knockout in the round that he did, hence the high odds of him even doing it if he's not the favorite, but that still means everyone else was betting on Kid Galahad as a sure thing, so yeah it's still confusing.

Could be that Hammond had been deliberately losing matches in the past to make people think he is washed up. The he fights at full power in the critical one and takes everybody by surprise.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Oh, boy, boxing! :dance:

First, you're right that most of their time is spent recovering/training. And then there's the intensive training just before a match, with lots more sparring (with guys with styles as close to you opponent as you can find), analyzing your opponents fight style, coming up and practicing your strategy (like Ali's infamous Rope-a-dope).

And when I hear "limey" I thought the guy was Irish, not English, so that goes to show how old those terms are.

It also seems that the developers are suggesting that the boxer was ok with the whole arrangement, until he saw The Set-Up, and decided to take one last chance. So, life imitating art?

Edit: Yeah, Cole dropped the ball with not arresting that guy for assaulting a police officer, and even if it's 1947, hitting a woman that is not your wife should at least warrant a fine or something.

And the guys who bet on an arranged boxing match probably did it to just gain a little more money, not because they enjoy boxing. If it's a sure thing, you don't mind putting up 50 bucks to get 5, because you'll get your money back. Hence why there would be a lot of people pissed that they lost their "sure" bets.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 18, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kal-L posted:

It also seems that the developers are suggesting that the boxer was ok with the whole arrangement, until he saw The Set-Up, and decided to take one last chance. So, life imitating art?

That, and he apparently time traveled into the future, so he probably knew things would end well for him.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In today's money Roy would be out about ~$600 give or take a few bucks, I could see why he would be a little pissed. Though I really don't think it'd kill two people over it. Candy also bled out really loving fast considering she got stabbed in the chest with a switchblade.

But yeah it is a little odd that everyone bet against the suspect here with such extreme odds; you're supposed to pay the other guy with poo poo odds to take a dive and then bet on his opponent so you rake in a shitload of cash. I think someone writing this case just got things a little backwards.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
I get it now.

Detective Roy, in Vice.

"Vice Roy".

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

J.theYellow posted:

I get it now.

Detective Roy, in Vice.

"Vice Roy".

Not quite Roy Earle-ty.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, there's good reasons why you should never tell the guy who's winning that the fix is in.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But yeah it is a little odd that everyone bet against the suspect here with such extreme odds; you're supposed to pay the other guy with poo poo odds to take a dive and then bet on his opponent so you rake in a shitload of cash. I think someone writing this case just got things a little backwards.

That would be too convenient. Remember, the first rule of fixing a fight is that it doesn't appear to be fixed. So, it's better that people bet a lot of money to get a little pay-off, than for them to bet a little money to get a BIG pay-off that will get people to complain. And for it to clean the bookies like we saw.

Taking for example, Rocky vs. Apollo in the first Rocky movie. Would you rather bet 20 bucks for the unknown Italian Stallion to win and get a 200 pay-off? Or bet for Apollo 50 bucks for an almost guaranteed 5 bucks pay-off?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm not much of a betting man (and maybe that's why I don't get this) but risking $50 to maybe win an extra $5 seems like a terrible return on investment for me; though I guess it would explain how people with gambling addictions manage to dig such deep holes so quickly.

If I had a spare $20 I'd probably have bet it on Rocky just to have some fun and maybe get $200 back, hell I'd probably take my $50 and instead go on a date or something and hope it lead to more than $5 worth of fun after that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm not much of a betting man (and maybe that's why I don't get this) but risking $50 to maybe win an extra $5 seems like a terrible return on investment for me; though I guess it would explain how people with gambling addictions manage to dig such deep holes so quickly.

If I had a spare $20 I'd probably have bet it on Rocky just to have some fun and maybe get $200 back, hell I'd probably take my $50 and instead go on a date or something and hope it lead to more than $5 worth of fun after that.

That would be a 10% return on your investment of a couple days. The stock market has a historical average of about 7%. If it really is a safe bet, then that's an excellent return.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kal-L posted:

That would be too convenient. Remember, the first rule of fixing a fight is that it doesn't appear to be fixed. So, it's better that people bet a lot of money to get a little pay-off, than for them to bet a little money to get a BIG pay-off that will get people to complain. And for it to clean the bookies like we saw.

Taking for example, Rocky vs. Apollo in the first Rocky movie. Would you rather bet 20 bucks for the unknown Italian Stallion to win and get a 200 pay-off? Or bet for Apollo 50 bucks for an almost guaranteed 5 bucks pay-off?
And keep in mind, in this Rocky vs. Apollo example, as in most examples of this sort, betting for the favorite paid off.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Maybe I'm alone in this, but after Roy disappeared at the bus depot and then Candy gets a handy new breathing hole, I TOTALLY thought that Roy had just gotten tired of not getting his money, blasted the lady with a dump-gun he DEFINITELY has on him somewhere (or in the car), grabbed the money, jumped out the window, put the bag in the trunk or under the seat of his car and then ran back in the front door to a Cole who is trying to understand the ramblings of a dying woman.
Especially after all of Roy's dark little "I'll take care of it" moments...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

paragon1 posted:

That would be a 10% return on your investment of a couple days. The stock market has a historical average of about 7%. If it really is a safe bet, then that's an excellent return.

While that's certainly a good point I think the risk way out weighs the reward for me in situations like this - in a stock market you still have a certain degree of control over your money and can shift it around or withdraw what you have left if things aren't going your way (in most situations). You also generally have the option to just stick with it and try to recover your losses over time if you're patient. Yeah you get people who get screwed over badly either because they made the wrong call, weren't paying close enough attention or invested in companies like ENRON or Nortel but with betting at the end of the match you're either leaving with $55 or $0 and there's nothing you can do about it once you hand over the money.

If it was bet $50 and win $100 then I could see the allure, but with a $5 reward there's just not enough to tempt me. If you lost you'd need to make - and win - another 10 identical bets just to break even and if you lost any of those then you'd be even deeper in the hole. Obviously there are a lot of people who enjoy taking risks like this with either prize fighting or day trading and I'm not about to tell them what to do with their money but I just don't see the appeal. And if you're going to go around fixing matches and defrauding shady-rear end business owners why not leave a little more meat on the bone for yourself? Are you going to risk getting your fingers broken by some pissed off bookie over $5?

Dooky Dingo posted:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but after Roy disappeared at the bus depot and then Candy gets a handy new breathing hole, I TOTALLY thought that Roy had just gotten tired of not getting his money, blasted the lady with a dump-gun he DEFINITELY has on him somewhere (or in the car), grabbed the money, jumped out the window, put the bag in the trunk or under the seat of his car and then ran back in the front door to a Cole who is trying to understand the ramblings of a dying woman.
Especially after all of Roy's dark little "I'll take care of it" moments...
Roy strikes me as the kind of person who could shoot a man in broad daylight and get away with it scot-free. Assuming he didn't just frame you for something or arrange for someone else to teach you a lesson I don't think he'd resort to such thuggish tactics, it's almost beneath him.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Roy strikes me as the kind of person who could shoot a man in broad daylight and get away with it scot-free. Assuming he didn't just frame you for something or arrange for someone else to teach you a lesson I don't think he'd resort to such thuggish tactics, it's almost beneath him.

This. Also, I think out of all his partners, Roy seems to really understand Cole the best. He requested the guy specifically, he's aware of his quaint little moral foibles, and he's not going to do anything crazily corrupt in Cole's sightline because he knows how that'll play out. I suspect Roy's happy to take credit for Cole's solid detective work and run his money-making on the side, or at least that's how it seems to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Today's episode will be something of a marathon.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 25, 2016

• Locked thread