Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

if nothing else i already like the way part 5 handles the 'long string of fights' structure better than part 3 because at the very least araki generally has a handle on what stands are like in vento aureo

requiem stands are sort of sketchy, but they were a neat idea that i'm honestly not particularly sad to see go, (given the 'reboot') because they were pretty open-ended and the sort of the thing that can bog down a series if it starts focusing on things like huge boosts to 'power levels'

Yes, I liked the way Stands are handled in Part 7, it's sort of like devil fruits in One piece, where it is an item or part of your body, instead of just a separate figure. Now, that I finished SBR, I understand the context behind that my heart is unclouded quote, that's pretty satisfying. Also, Scary Monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

davidHalestorm posted:

Yes, I liked the way Stands are handled in Part 7, it's sort of like devil fruits in One piece, where it is an item or part of your body, instead of just a separate figure. Now, that I finished SBR, I understand the context behind that my heart is unclouded quote, that's pretty satisfying. Also, Scary Monsters.

I love getting to describe Scary Monsters as "His Stand is he's a dinosaur". It's about the least JoJo power in the series, and it still works so well.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

hoobajoo posted:

I love getting to describe Scary Monsters as "His Stand is he's a dinosaur". It's about the least JoJo power in the series, and it still works so well.

I think "he's a weredinosaur" is more succinct and accurate, and I also relish describing Diego that way.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Diego is great and Scary Monsters is one of my favorite JoJo arcs just because of how ridiculous the scene where he first turns into a dinosaur is.

SBR is really good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how Diego just fuckin steals Dr. Ferdinand's stand, except now instead of letting you create a dinosaur virus that infects and mutates everybody into dinosaurs, it just lets one person turn things near them into dinosaurs including things like their arms, or sounds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I also love that Johnny has no idea what a dinosaur even is because of course an 1890s Kentucky boy wouldn't know about them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like how steel ball run further expands on stands by implementing lots of cool stuff that makes perfect sense for stands if you think about it

see: shared stands, inheriting your own form of a stand from someone else's due to the power of jesus imprinting it on you, etc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Shigechi is just a little special needs potato who just was excited to have friends and make his Mom happy.

Anyone who says anything bad about him deserves to be banned, imo.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I always though Shigechi had a little mustache because of those two lines that appear above his mouth, and the anime made me realize it's his cheeks. But i don't want to be wrong.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Shigechi's ASB/EoH model, loving dodoria lookin rear end bitch, frightens me, but the anime looks to have made him cute, so maybe I'll feel something when he's brutally murdered.

e: The Story Of Shigekiyo Yangu In Five Acts

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I'm probably gonna cry when Shigechi dies. The guy was so happy to finally make some friends :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Death of Eric Cartman

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JJL's out in Japan. Translation maybe today depends on HWMN.

It's definitely set after Joshuu gets NKC

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Charlie Bobson posted:

I'm probably gonna cry when Shigechi dies. The guy was so happy to finally make some friends :(

Honestly, i will probably be upset too. Kira should have been more careful on his play date :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Screw Shigechi.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yoshikage Kira Did Nothing Wrong (In The Yoshikage Kira Just Wants A Quiet Life arc)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JJL volume 13 bonus image or whatever

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
handsome joshuu

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how Diego just fuckin steals Dr. Ferdinand's stand, except now instead of letting you create a dinosaur virus that infects and mutates everybody into dinosaurs, it just lets one person turn things near them into dinosaurs including things like their arms, or sounds.

Anything is possible through the infinite love and mercy of Jesus Christ's Turbo Eye

Waffleman_ posted:

I like that Part 7 allows me to use the phrase "Jesus' Turbo Eye" and not sound insane.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 19, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Actually, I forget. Did Diego turn Soundman's sounds into dinosaurs, or was Soundman turning Diego's tiny little dinosaurs into In A Silent Way things?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SBR: Where you can ask if sounds are changing to dinosaurs or dinosaurs are changing to sounds.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

SBR: Where you can ask if sounds are changing to dinosaurs or dinosaurs are changing to sounds.

Okay, we got a new thread title contender

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

*resumes reading part 6*

I'm not sure what to think about these Dragon's Dream chapters. This stand is weird even for JoJo. :psyduck:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dexie posted:

*resumes reading part 6*

I'm not sure what to think about these Dragon's Dream chapters. This stand is weird even for JoJo. :psyduck:

:allears:

I'm being bad about reading through SBR (I left off at the finish line of the first leg of the race) but I have read through part 6 and, to quote the meme, you've got a big storm coming.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I like the Stand's personality and being able to detach limbs to attack is neat. That said Pissdrinker(i don't need to remember) is irritating, and I was definitely fatigued by this point in the big Punishment Ward fightout.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dragon's Dream is....yeah. There's a solid concept there, I can say that.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

There's like one person in this thread who claims to legitimately like Dragon's Dream, right?

Show yourself

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Legitimate question, is there anywhere I can read the Duwang translation?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

There's like one person in this thread who claims to legitimately like Dragon's Dream, right?

Show yourself

It's not bad. It's just dragging on a bit, and as a follow-up to Planet Waves it feels really weak in comparison.

EDIT: Annasui is the loving worst.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 19, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Doesn't Annasui use Diver Down to take the bones out of the old guy's legs and then Foo Fighters throws him in a toilet or something? That part was cool

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I liked the personalities involved in the Dragons dream fight but the fight itself was confusing and unsatisfying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dragon's Dream really suffers from not only directly following Planet Waves (such an amazing fight), but also just kind of feeling...eh? I dunno. All of the components of a rad, memorable fight are there, but I can't really tell you much about it. I should go reread it and see if I have any better appreciation of it now. I know Dragon's Dream was then followed by yo-yo ma which was pretty inoffensive and had some pretty funny things going on, then things ramp back up with uhhhhh what's after that, Green Baby & then Jail House Lock? I think?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I think the best part about Stone Ocean, which could arguably be the worst part, is that it seems like Araki was probably pretty fatigued from doing over a decade of JoJo, and was just throwing out whatever, probably including a bunch of ideas from 3-5 that he'd scrapped. It makes the part pretty heavy on the fatigue from near constant poo poo going down, but the sheer fever dream insanity of it all makes for a good spectacle and some memorable nonsense.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
We should all feel privileged to have been able to see the descent into madness of Part 6 and still pull up out of it into some of the greatest stuff JoJo has ever had, I don't imagine that's very common

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay, having just reread it, Dragon's Dream is a pretty great fight. It's one of the few Foo Fighters fights too, and the "worst" parts of it are just Anasui speedwagoning it up with explanations of poo poo, and the actual end of the fight is kinda weird but in the same way that the end of the anubis fight is weird. Dude has already been defeated, now he is just being clowned on. The whole fight makes it pretty clear that Araki had gotten really into Final Destination and that's pretty neat to see someone weaponize Final Destination via martial arts. The dude's stand just being this neutral thing like "hi what's up" is fun too. What was anasui's power when he was first introduced? Storing and reflecting energy or something like that? Because I know he took the final hit Kenzo delivered and I'm wondering if I remembered right with his stand being able to reflect energy back, which would have caused the bad luck to reverse back on to Kenzo and lead to his ultimate demise. I dunno though.

I'm gonna say it. Dragon's Dream is actually a good fight.

I dunno about yo-yo ma tho

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

BillmasterCozb posted:

Legitimate question, is there anywhere I can read the Duwang translation?

I wondered this myself, a search led to a reddit thread which linked this
http://www.mediafire.com/JoJoPartIV#da5au4ewzg3on

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

New JoJolion is up! It's great!

https://hiwamatanoboru.com/2016/07/19/jojolion-55-version-2-and-jojolion-56/

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Haha Joshuu sucks rear end this is great

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joshu is actually great.

This feels like a Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe that Araki felt he absolutely had to tell in the main manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm so glad we're getting a Joshu only fight.