Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Easy Mac posted:

Crazy thought, what if you couldn't switch heroes in overtime?

A non-refilling OT counter that depletes faster over time is a lot more effective than being on the side that didn't switch to Winston/DVA/Tracer right before OT.

On a side note, Blizzard should have just made special KOTH points on AvD and Payload maps for Overtime events. Just capture the point and hold it until the counter finishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

Yeah cant watch it - set private

gently caress me. Totally thought it was working. Here, try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4MnOS-hhnk

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

khy posted:

gently caress me. Totally thought it was working. Here, try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4MnOS-hhnk

I have a video showing my friend getting 12 commendations in comp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtDJLVd_Hm0

At 10 the game says "LEGENDARY" but you don't get anything for getting 12.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dias posted:

Someone in that YT video comments suggested that Sombra could move through shadows. I think that'd be cool. Maybe she could make more shadows and dive into them, and maybe an opposing Sombra could make different shadows that block HER shadows. I think we have something here, guys.
This character wouldn't work in a game that has mccree. How do you have shadows in a game when it's always high noon? Think about it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Density posted:

This character wouldn't work in a game that has mccree. How do you have shadows in a game when it's always high noon? Think about it.
Most of the maps aren't between the Tropics so even at nigh noon there will be shadows. :c00lbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ddraig posted:

Maybe the shadows could be different colours and you can only move through shadows that are your colour.

i hope this idea stays fresh

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Theta Zero posted:

At 10 the game says "LEGENDARY" but you don't get anything for getting 12.

It should say something at 11 but not at 12 since 12 is the only time you can be 100% sure the person voted for themselves.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

I'm glad there aren't any stealth characters. Just look at TF2, where people are constantly shooting air and their own teammates out of paranoia just because of a single stealth class.

uh, this owns though. also spies were more viable in TF2 wherein a lot of servers were 8v8 or even 10, 12 people a team where spies could really hide. In a 6v6 environment, nothing like what the spy was able to do in terms of chaos would be viable.

I doubt any long-term invisible cloaking and disguising characters will be in the game but they could def do stealth in other ways, maybe thru portals and poo poo.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Got paired up with a hyper aggressive team last night on Hanamura and rolled the other team on attack and defend. I wish all teams I'm paired up with would be that aggressive. There's so many teams who just stand around the choke, never pushing even after getting a pick.

Oh and can we make Rein/Roadhog/Mercy the official meta at least until the patch comes out since it's crazy good and people can usually play it?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dren posted:

Got paired up with a hyper aggressive team last night on Hanamura and rolled the other team on attack and defend. I wish all teams I'm paired up with would be that aggressive. There's so many teams who just stand around the choke, never pushing even after getting a pick.

Oh and can we make Rein/Roadhog/Mercy the official meta at least until the patch comes out since it's crazy good and people can usually play it?

Zarya > Roadhog :colbert: (Roadhog is hella fun on some maps but not that helpful compared to Zarya imo)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

Zarya > Roadhog :colbert: (Roadhog is hella fun on some maps but not that helpful compared to Zarya imo)

Zarya plus Roadhog can be very, very effective. Though the same can be said of Zarya plus anybody. Man, I remember when Overwatch was brand new and people were like "man Zarya seems too fiddly to be of any use," dark times.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

Blizzard really needs to drop in another healer so Symmetra can be moved back to defense.

They have you covered on that front. Ana is very strong, at the moment. She's not brokenly powerful, thankfully, but she has unparalleled burst healing (especially on large targets where you can consistently hit them more-or-less 100% of the time) and is actually fairly scrappy, especially against close-range flankers like Genji and Tracer when you can hit both yourself and them with Biotic Grenade. The M1 -> Sleep Dart -> M1 -> Grenade combo is a fast kill against any 200 HP target, so you can even take on McCree pretty handily at midrange if you can aim. She's more or less exactly what I wanted out of a healer class: someone who's good at supporting but can defend themselves and contribute to picking off targets at the same time, and who has a satisfying sense of mastery when playing them (there's seriously no better healing feeling than nailing your friendly Genji 50 meters away with two heals in a row).

That being said, she's also got her fair share of weaknesses. D.Va and Winston are actually her biggest effective counters, because their barriers regularly get in the way of the healing from your bullets/Grenade. She also doesn't deal nearly as much damage as Zenyatta (though she does a fair bit), and Nano Boost, while powerful, lacks the ability to counter a wipe like Transcendence/Sound Barrier/Resurrect. Like Zenyatta, she's also ground bound and slow, so it can be a challenge to get to distant teammates to heal them (e.g. last point Hollywood in the rafters). Overall, I'd say she's well-balanced and has a place on just about every team.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 18, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
My new favorite thing to do is watch my 6 year old son owning people in quick play with Roadhog. He does well with Bastion too but watching him pull off a hook combo will never get old.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

I'm fine with that too. I think Roadhog is better for charging Mercy ult and for getting a pick to break a defense but Zarya is good at charging Mercy ult and her ult is amazing so it's kind of a wash.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I went into a bot custom game to work on headshotting with McCree and the names it gives for bots increments if there's more than one, like "Zenyatta", "Zenyatta 2"

But with Soldier 76 it goes "Soldier 76", "Soldier 77", "Soldier 78".

Also they don't try to head shot so it was kind of a wash.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Would anyone else like to end their post with kind of a wash?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Roadhog is less of a tank and more of a huge, fat assassin. His job is to pick off the enemy one by one, surviving all the while. He doesn't really protect his teammates like the other tanks. It's kind of a wash.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

NmareBfly posted:

It should say something at 11 but not at 12 since 12 is the only time you can be 100% sure the person voted for themselves.

I think it's funny to get torb, bastion, or one of the snipers to 1 vote if I can

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ImPureAwesome posted:

I think it's funny to get torb, bastion, or one of the snipers to 1 vote if I can

Thing is, people will assume a sniper with one vote did it to themselves so it's kind of a wash.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Roadhog is less of a tank and more of a huge, fat assassin. His job is to pick off the enemy one by one, surviving all the while. He doesn't really protect his teammates like the other tanks. It's kind of a wash.

But hooking that pharah out of the sky is really one of the better ways to protect your mercy so it's kind of a wash.

Kai Tave posted:

Zarya plus Roadhog can be very, very effective. Though the same can be said of Zarya plus anybody. Man, I remember when Overwatch was brand new and people were like "man Zarya seems too fiddly to be of any use," dark times.

That was literally just said by a poster on 1000 ping so that's kind of a wash.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I will vote myself as Lucio to protect myself from teammates who refuse to recognize my healing prowess. :colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

I will vote myself as Lucio to protect myself from teammates who refuse to recognize my healing prowess. :colbert:

Yeah but a good lucio does more than just heal so it's kind of a wash.

I've been winning more lucio games lately by making sure my teammates rally up for speed boost pushes than through any clutch lifesaving amp it up heal or sound barrier.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah knowing when to speed boost is a mark of a better than average Lucio IMO. I just solo queue so getting off an effective ult is kind of hard to do.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

vulturesrow posted:

My new favorite thing to do is watch my 6 year old son owning people in quick play with Roadhog. He does well with Bastion too but watching him pull off a hook combo will never get old.

i always assume i'm playing with literal 6yr olds but none of them seem to be able to hook people so apparently i'm wrong about that

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Regarding the Sombra lines and associated Athena lines about everything in your base getting hosed up, what if Sombra is an NPC antagonist in some mechanic-based new map? We've already seen in HOTS that Blizz loves adding weird-rear end mechanics to change how games work.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Where's Sombra when you need her?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Regarding the Sombra lines and associated Athena lines about everything in your base getting hosed up, what if Sombra is an NPC antagonist in some mechanic-based new map? We've already seen in HOTS that Blizz loves adding weird-rear end mechanics to change how games work.

I had assumed that the Athena lines would most likely be related to some sort of "campaign" style map...there are also some lines where various characters bring up Genji like he's being suspected of having done something that could be related...but tying Sombra into that is actually an interesting idea.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dren posted:

This was the bane of my existence all weekend. Getting paired with teams (in competitive no less) that would hit the first choke point at Hanamura and proceed to just shoot from that point and not bother pushing further.

Even when I would get on the cap and pull 1-3 of their enemy team away from the chokepoint, my team would still sit at the chokepoint and not bother pushing forward.

Normally if this happens every few matches, I don't get too annoyed but I had what felt like 3-4 matches in a row where I was paired with teams that would just get into pot shot duels at the first chokepoint and not bother pushing forward.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'd be more interested in a weird game mode than a stealth character

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the difference maker on hanamura is whether or not your offense that can sneak into point A bother to clear a way for your healers to get in. Tanks can brute force in and offensive heroes can flank to the left or right but the concave of point A makes it so that defenders have a really easy time of picking off mercy or lucio if they aren't protected on the way in.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Defense Matrix went from "kinda okay ability with a cripplingly long cooldown" to Reinhardt's Shield Lite, for the most part.

And the increase in her mech's ultimate charge generation and reduced detonation time means you'll be getting way more opportunities to actually kill (not disrupt for a few seconds) the enemy team than ever before.

The defense matrix change is amazing and makes me take back every bad thing I said about her. She's a more mobile version of Reinhardt in some ways now. Shoot dudes at short range with your unlimited ammo (Rein smacks dudes at short range with no reload), defense matrix when an Ult targets you (Rein shield when there's too much fire), and fly out of there to disengage (Rein die horribly when outnumbered since you were all alone and braindead pubbies never stand behind your shield).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
D.va is loving annoying to fight now.

It's still fun to see people running and hiding from their mech explosion, still. Guess old habits die hard.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Maybe now we'll see more D'vas and fewer Reinhardts and Zaryas.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In fairness, they could also be taking cover to keep from being ganked in the brief window that they're in lightgun mode.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ddraig posted:

It's still fun to see people running and hiding from their mech explosion, still. Guess old habits die hard.

I do this every single time. I psych myself up beforehand even and remind myself I don't have to run. I still run.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Verranicus posted:

Maybe now we'll see more D'vas and fewer Reinhardts and Zaryas.

Yeah, after getting continually shot in the face from a Mcree at range on PTR because we had a D.Va instead of Reinhardt, i don't think so Tim.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 18, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ddraig posted:

She does really piddly amounts of damage. She's just a bullet sponge like Reinhardt but more capable of killing people.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Yeah I've done it like a dozen times on PTR and I think I've run for like 10 of them. Also, since I'm used to using it as a bomb-and-run thing I would always boost and immediately ult and then run but really you can boost in and jump out close to the landing spot now to frag nerds.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Roadhog + Zarya + Mercy is probably my favorite "core" team (Blah blah switching based on map, enemies, etc etc).

Mercy will always have ult. Roadhog face tanks all damage and Zarya get easy hyper charge from shielding him. It also gives him a huge buffer to deal with a Reaper (gently caress Reaper). Zarya can protect mercy as well.

The icing is Zarya + Roadhog ult is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

FranktheBank posted:

Roadhog + Zarya + Mercy is probably my favorite "core" team (Blah blah switching based on map, enemies, etc etc).

Mercy will always have ult. Roadhog face tanks all damage and Zarya get easy hyper charge from shielding him. It also gives him a huge buffer to deal with a Reaper (gently caress Reaper). Zarya can protect mercy as well.

The icing is Zarya + Roadhog ult is amazing.

Mercy's ult charges way slower in the net patch.