Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just fought Whitney in a run of Heart Gold, and my strategy was to rely on my male Nidoran's Poison Point and a Geodude with Rock Smash (also hoping to get the defense downs as often as possible). A risky strategy, but it worked on the first try. It did piss me off because Miltank had a loving LUM BERRY, but the Miltank triggered Poison Point twice, and Rollout missed several times.
I love Poison Point, as well as Static. There should be a Confusion equivalent, though. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It will be Mega Spinda's ability.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

if you'd like to play with those rules, you can, using the "Custom Game" feature of Pokemon Showdown

I want everyone to not have fun, not just me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I want everyone to not have fun, not just me.

What about the mode where they try to compensate for some pokemon being more powerful by adjusting their levels?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

It will be Mega Spinda's ability.

touch spinda get dizzy :pandrugs:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In my fourth attempt to get past Whitney I finally beat her with an overpowered Geodude that one-shot her Miltank. Unfortunately the Geodude was so over-powered I lost a lot of pokemon to random trainers afterwards getting lucky critical hits on my party while I was trying to level them up.

Critical Hits seem a hell of a lot more common in the HG/SS generation, is there a reason for that or is it coincidence?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

In my fourth attempt to get past Whitney I finally beat her with an overpowered Geodude that one-shot her Miltank. Unfortunately the Geodude was so over-powered I lost a lot of pokemon to random trainers afterwards getting lucky critical hits on my party while I was trying to level them up.

Critical Hits seem a hell of a lot more common in the HG/SS generation, is there a reason for that or is it coincidence?

Probably coincidence. You're noticing them more since they matter more.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

mabels big day posted:

Probably coincidence. You're noticing them more since they matter more.
I just played through Ruby and X in the last month and it would have mattered there too but it didn't happen nearly as often.

e: Google tells me critical hits were a lot softer in that generation too, the difference between 200% and 33%

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
crit mechanics are funny in how they change throughout the gens. in rby, they ignore boosts on both sides of the field (aka a +4 slowbro would rather hit normally as opposed to crit the oppo) as well as being based off speed which led to things like tauros, alakazam, persian, etc. critting very commonly. idk the gsc mechanics perfectly but iirc they take into account def boosts or something along those lines, which is why +2 marowak can't beat curse skarmory w/o paraflinching it. gen 3 it starts to go toward what we would expect, 6.25% and 2x power and ignoring def boosts on opponents side and i THINK it remains that way through BW, but in ORAS you have another change when they are reduced to 1.5x power but still ignoring def boosts. then theres the whole "crit stages" thing which itself is quite goofy and leads to nooby sets like focus energy kingdra.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yes.

You should check out the other Regis

"Hey guys I found my old casio keyboard." "loving sweet"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDCg7f93R6o

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Welp. I got a N3DS, a charger, and Pokemon X. My first piece of Nintendo hardware since the SNES. :stare:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Attestant posted:

Welp. I got a N3DS, a charger, and Pokemon X. My first piece of Nintendo hardware since the SNES. :stare:

Welcome, friend

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really need to go back and finish Platinum, Heart Gold, White 2, and Omega Red :sigh:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have to beat victory road on plat and then see if theres any postgame and then go back to heartgold to do the second region and then i think i will be ready for sun/moon!!!!!!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I somehow forgot to draw these mofos when they were first announced!

I'm still missing the doggie, but that's gonna have to wait.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Pentaro posted:

Incredible.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Dunban posted:

Welcome, friend

Certainly fits the 3DS thread better, but goddamn the library on this thing. I knew it was good, but when I was shopping for the stuff, I could have walked out about 300€ poorer if I'd bought everything I wanted from the selection they have. And this wasn't even a specialized games store.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Attestant posted:

Certainly fits the 3DS thread better, but goddamn the library on this thing. I knew it was good, but when I was shopping for the stuff, I could have walked out about 300€ poorer if I'd bought everything I wanted from the selection they have. And this wasn't even a specialized games store.

I can definitely see that - I own about 40 3DS games and spent a lot of quality gaming time with the system. And that's not even counting DS games - if you've never had a DS, there are tons of great games in that system's library as well. Including quite a few Pokemon games, obviously.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The library really is excellent; the system has been out for long enough that there's no less than 20 or 30 games that just about anyone could rattle off as a good game. The 3D Zelda remakes, Mario Golf, Pokemon, Super Smash Bros, the list is really meaty.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

pictured below: a good and cool pokemon

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
he looks like a good friend

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

http://skyholic.tumblr.com/post/147599573299

he is a good friend

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
poliwhirl is good but poliwrath is bad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tired Moritz posted:

poliwhirl is good but poliwrath is bad

http://ascii-middle-finger.com/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
All the Polimons are good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Politoed is the superior Polievo!!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I love the slowmons.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Pentaro posted:

Oh My God

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

if you put volt switch and u-turn on every single one of your pokemon you're basically Hitler

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dabir posted:

if you put volt switch and u-turn on every single one of your pokemon you're basically Hitler

I've got Wish on my sixth one instead of Volt Switch/U-turn.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

you're basically Mussolini

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I can settle for that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Musselini, the Mussel Pokémon. Dark/Steel with Arena Trap.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Poliwag should have been reclassified as a baby Pokemon in Gen II. It's far too weak to use effectively until it evolves, and Poliwhirl's dominant popularity early on in the franchise makes it seem more like a Pikachu-type than other stage 1 Pokemon.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

give poliwag a mega

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

korusan posted:

Poliwag should have been reclassified as a baby Pokemon in Gen II. It's far too weak to use effectively until it evolves, and Poliwhirl's dominant popularity early on in the franchise makes it seem more like a Pikachu-type than other stage 1 Pokemon.

please do not make more pokemon lines harder to breed thanks in advance

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

korusan posted:

Poliwag should have been reclassified as a baby Pokemon in Gen II.

Same with Mewtwo, since it is Mew's baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. Gotta love me

• Locked thread