Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think this new NES thing is a cute novelty item meant for people to stuff in stockings at Christmas, and it should serve that function pretty well. It'll probably find a nice niche with older folks who haven't kept up with modern consoles but are looking for a little nostalgia.

For me the big "if" is, how will the games look? NES games on Wii U Virtual Console are not displayed well at all, and if this device uses the same scaling algorithm as that does, no thanks.

It'd be nice if this thing could connect to the eShop and sync with your existing NES VC collection, and also I'd like to ride on a majestic pegasus.

You'd need a stocking the size of Kuribo's Shoe to hold one of those. :downsrim:

Terrible sock-related quips aside, I understand your concern. NES games on Wii U VC look really off, although in the interest of honesty I think that other systems look fine. I have a Retron where NES games look very good, remarks about the legality of their emulation software aside, and having that next to the VC really shows off the difference in quality betwixt the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Here's another damming evidence this is a wii mini in a nes shell.

Star tropics is one of the games. Who's willing to bet it also has the virtual console manual where you can digitally dunk it into water?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I love that Nintendo finally has an answer to all those bootleg mall kiosk plug-in consoles, and they had presumably waited til their hardware costs were low enough and the emulation was deemed satisfactory. It's the most Nintendo thing. :v:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Minidust posted:

I love that Nintendo finally has an answer to all those bootleg mall kiosk plug-in consoles, and they had presumably waited til their hardware costs were low enough and the emulation was deemed satisfactory. It's the most Nintendo thing. :v:

Yeah I think they did this between having literally nothing compelling coming out for the holidays, and going "fuckit, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" on the lovely knockoff NESes. Why waste money chasing down and suing all of them when they can just print money with their own?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did like a $149 or even $99 fire sale on Wii U for the holidays because of this either.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah I think they did this between having literally nothing compelling coming out for the holidays, and going "fuckit, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" on the lovely knockoff NESes. Why waste money chasing down and suing all of them when they can just print money with their own?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did like a $149 or even $99 fire sale on Wii U for the holidays because of this either.

I don't think they intend to because they only forecast 280,000 sales. They don't need to burn off inventory, they probably just ramped down production a while ago.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Just found out Xenoblade Chronicles is on the Wii U eShop now. Is it worth the $20, and are there any weird port errors or anything I should know about? (I wouldn't think so since it's a game you could play if you had the physical disk, but one never knows.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Carrasco posted:

Just found out Xenoblade Chronicles is on the Wii U eShop now. Is it worth the $20, and are there any weird port errors or anything I should know about? (I wouldn't think so since it's a game you could play if you had the physical disk, but one never knows.)

Nope, it's a straight up ISO of the Wii game that plays on the Wii mode. No emulation involved.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Carrasco posted:

If you wanted to, it even supports off-TV play on the Wii U gamepad.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

greatn posted:

I don't think they intend to because they only forecast 280,000 sales. They don't need to burn off inventory, they probably just ramped down production a while ago.

Getting the system into a bunch of people's hands so they will buy Nintendo games might not be a bad call for them at the moment, as they don't really need cash from hardware sales as much as they need to wring out a wider install base and get people back on The Nintendo Wagon. The thing is a living, breathing Nintendo advertisement, so setting it to scream at you that the NX is out and you will be the coolest person ever if you go buy one is another advantage of bumping up the U install base this holiday. If you've looked at your gamepad when the system is off for the last year or so, you know they already got that poo poo on lock.

It wouldn't be a permanent price cut, just a holidays/Black Friday Weekend kind of thing probably? But a Nintendo Christmas with a NES Mini and a Wii U for around $200 would be a compelling offering where they don't have much else going for them this holiday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm 100% in for one of the new Mini NES's.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

Getting the system into a bunch of people's hands so they will buy Nintendo games might not be a bad call for them at the moment, as they don't really need cash from hardware sales as much as they need to wring out a wider install base and get people back on The Nintendo Wagon. The thing is a living, breathing Nintendo advertisement, so setting it to scream at you that the NX is out and you will be the coolest person ever if you go buy one is another advantage of bumping up the U install base this holiday. If you've looked at your gamepad when the system is off for the last year or so, you know they already got that poo poo on lock.

It wouldn't be a permanent price cut, just a holidays/Black Friday Weekend kind of thing probably? But a Nintendo Christmas with a NES Mini and a Wii U for around $200 would be a compelling offering where they don't have much else going for them this holiday.

So many kids are going to get this for Christmas, and find out next Christmas there's a new Nintendo console. The NES Classic Mini U

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Patter Song posted:

If you wanted to, it even supports off-TV play on the Wii U gamepad.

You still have to play it with a Wiimote though, right?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sarchasm posted:

You still have to play it with a Wiimote though, right?

No, digital Wii games that supported the Classic Controller can be played with the buttons on the gamepad (except for RE4 for a really boring technical reason that will never be fixed).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I may buy it and plop it on top of my PC tower. Since it is HDMI, setup should be a no brainier.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No, digital Wii games that supported the Classic Controller can be played with the buttons on the gamepad (except for RE4 for a really boring technical reason that will never be fixed).

For the record, those Wii games on the NA eShop that can be played Gamepad only are:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Sin and Punishment Star Successor
Pandora's Tower

That's it. It's such a weird feature to have available if you're only going to use it for a very few games, especially because no one in his or her right mind will play Sin and Punishment that way.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Patter Song posted:

For the record, those Wii games on the NA eShop that can be played Gamepad only are:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower

That's it. It's such a weird feature to have available if you're only going to use it for a very few games, especially because no one in his or her right mind will play Sin and Punishment that way.

Is it an intended feature? I think it's just a happy coincidence because the game needed to support a Wii classic controller to be played with gamepad controls and all games can be played on the gamepad with a Wiimote.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Patter Song posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Pandora's Tower

They're not "only using it for a very few games", it's just that the games that are being made available didn't have CC support to begin with. Nintendo rarely added CC support to their own games and there are barely any third-party games available for download (which sucks because there are a lot of good ones that deserve a re-release).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They're not "only using it for a very few games", it's just that the games that are being made available didn't have CC support to begin with. Nintendo rarely added CC support to their own games and there are barely any third-party games available for download (which sucks because there are a lot of good ones that deserve a re-release).

Seriously Sega, get off your asses and release Sonic Colours, one of maybe two or three of the only good 3D Sonic games you ever made :argh:.

And if it never had CC support, it's never getting WiiU gamepad support. Thry'd have to rebuild the game from the ground up to make it happen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would love Chocobo's Dungeon on Wii VC since I can't find it anywhere. Doesn't help that someone is posting real good gifs of it in the Final Fantasy thread.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Darksiders 1 is coming to PS4, XB1, and Wii U in Q4 2016.

So there is a (5 year old) 3rd party major title coming to Wii U this year.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Cool, I heard the first one is the best one anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's good, dunno that I'd buy it again unless there's a lot of extras though. The Darksiders 2 port to current consoles was pretty rear end too. Gorgeous looking game in places but the framerate was all over the place.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can't wait to get it as part of a humble bundle for Nintendo.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I can't wait for it to bomb on all 3 consoles so they can look at it and come away with "3rd party titles don't sell on Nintendo consoles".

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That reminds me once upon a time I heard Toys R Us was breaking street date for Dark Souls 2 a few days early, and I couldn't wait. Went to the sort-of-local TRU and asked the sweet old lady in video games if they happened to have a game called Dark Souls 2 for PS3. She said they did, but it was in the back, and she'd have to go get it. An eternity later, she came back with Darksiders 2. The rest of our interaction pained me so much to play out but needless to say I left empty handed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I see new(?) rewards in the European MN.

How/What is Hana Samurai? I have in on the wishlist for some reason.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

SelenicMartian posted:

I see new(?) rewards in the European MN.

How/What is Hana Samurai? I have in on the wishlist for some reason.

It's called Sakura Samurai here in the states. It's a bit like Punch-Out!! but with samurai.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Anyone have any thoughts on these Curve Digital games on sale? They seem like a good way to get Gold points, but I'd still only want to buy games that are at least decent

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I think all the Curve games on sale have been well-received, with the complaint for quite a few being they're too short, but when you're paying like 80p that's less of a problem.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A couple of them (Ultratron, Titan Attacks) suck, the others are at the very least okay, it's just a matter of taste at that point. Stealth Inc 2 gets props for making good use of the gamepad, asymmetric co-op, Miiverse, etc.

OlliOlli is cross-buy, by the way.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why is the Earthbound Beginnings/Mother 1 icon so hideous?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Would you rather it be a solid red color with the O in Earthbound switched out for a monochrome image of the Earth? I feel it's fine for what it is, just featuring the little clay model of the protagonist. :shrug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 21):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Olympics (demo)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Buddy & Me: Dream Edition - €4.39 / £3.89
    Defend Your Crypt - €2.99 / £2.69
    Hot Rod Racer - €2.99 / £2.69
    Jewel Quest - €4.39 / £3.49
    Toon Tanks - €1.99 / £1.79
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €9.99 / £8.99 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for Wii U + 3DS
    Minecraft Battle Map Season Pass - €9.99 / £7.99
WII DOWNLOADS ON WII U
    A Shadow's Tale - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Splatoon (Wii U) - "25% off" until July 21
    Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £5.99 until July 21
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    OlliOlli (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    Lone Survivor: Directors' Cut (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    Nova-111 (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    Pumped BMX+ (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    The Swapper (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    Thomas was Alone (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    Ultratron (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Kirby Planet Robobot (demo)
NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Wind Up Knight 2 - €4.50 / £4.00
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Adventure Labyrinth Story - €5.00 / £4.50
    Ninja Smasher - €3.55 / £2.93
    Defend Your Crypt - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €14.99 / £13.49 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for 3DS + Wii U
    Fire Emblem Fates Map Pack 2 - (6 maps, released weekly) - €7.99 / £7.19
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Another Gift from Anna (boots/Paragon) - free!
  • Fire Emblem Fates: I: In Endless Dream (Skilltaker/Lucktaker, difficulty ***) - €0.49 / £0.49
  • Fire Emblem Fates: I: Realms Collide (Magictaker, difficulty ***) - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Fire Emblem Fates: I: The Changing Tide (Strengthtaker, difficulty ***) - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Pokemon Red (3DS VC) - €6.99 / £6.29 until July 28
    Pokemon Blue (3DS VC) - €6.99 / £6.29 until July 28
    Pokemon Yellow (3DS VC) - €6.99 / £6.29 until July 28
    Mega Man 7 (New 3DS VC) - €3.99 / £3.59 for owners of MMX on New 3DS until July 28
    Mega Man X (New 3DS VC) - €3.99 / £3.59 for owners of MM7 on New 3DS until July 28
    OlliOlli (3DS eShop) - €1.00 / £0.80 until July 22
    Mercenaries Saga 2 (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until July 28
    Legend of Dark Witch 2 (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 4
    Witch & Hero 2 (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until August 4

A Shadow's Tale (Lost in Shadow in NA) is an Ico-ish platformer/adventure game by Hudson and a weird choice to debut Konami/Hudson Wii downloads but I ain't complainin'.

Buddy & Me is a platformer/runner thing from one of the million ex-Retro indie studios, if I recall correctly.

You should already own Kirby but a demo can't hurt. You probably have no interest in Mario & Sonic 2016 but I hear this one's a lot less gimmicky than some of the previous games so maybe it's worth trying out.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Why is the Earthbound Beginnings/Mother 1 icon so hideous?

Don't make fun of my boy, Ninten.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Really? Of all the Wii games they could choose to add to the eShop they pick A Shadow's Tale? :nallears:

At least go for something interesting like Fragile Dreams or Red Steel 2.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

You should already own Kirby but a demo can't hurt.

Don't download the demo, just buy the game. Best Kirby game in years, and I loved Triple Deluxe.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

If I purchase a game that cost 4.99 in the eshop, do I get gold coins for mynintendo?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JetpackHowwy posted:

If I purchase a game that cost 4.99 in the eshop, do I get gold coins for mynintendo?

Nope; minimum purchase to get coins is $5 even

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Absolutely swimming in Gold Coins after buying a bunch of Curve Digital poo poo for 80p. Shame the only games I can outright buy with coins that I don't have already are Pilotwings and Super Punch-Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I liked Thomas Was Alone a lot, but I already bought it on PC and Playstation (crossbuy, best idea). How are the other indie games on sale? I heard a lot of good things about OlliOlli when it was a Vita exclusive (for like a month), and I think I heard The Swapper is a really good puzzle game? Lone Survivor is supposed to be a Silent Hill 2D? I only remember bits and words from years ago on the Steam thread.