Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Chuck Austen wrote a scene where Angel and Husk gently caress in mid-air above the X-Men and her entire family, and they all thought it was cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Chuck Austen wrote a scene where Angel and Husk gently caress in mid-air above the X-Men and her entire family, and they all thought it was cute.

Joss Whedon did the same thing except it was Angel and Buffy.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Alhazred posted:

Joss Whedon did the same thing except it was Angel and Buffy.

Having not read it, wasn't part of the point there also that they're a deeply unhealthy couple?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

0. That was in the Buffy Season Eight comic which everyone agrees was weird and off-putting at best.

1. Joss Whedon didn't write that. Brad Meltzer of "Identity Crisis" fame wrote that. Whedon probably signed off on it though.

2. No one really thinks it's adorable, it just kind-of happens.

3. Buffy and Angel are hopped up on some bullshit plot magic so it's basically just them flying while loving across a huge geographic area like Superman/Wonder Woman in "The Dark Knight Strikes Again."

4. The issue is called "The one where they gently caress." It's aware of how dumb the whole thing is.

I have no problem calling out Joss Whedon on his poo poo, but yeah this is one where you're wrong pretty much across the board Alhazred... and for Chuck Austen of all people.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The art is still terrible:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Murata's Spider-verse cover triptych

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

^^^^^ That is cool as hell.

Alhazred posted:

It really really is. Why do so many digital colorings smooth over the inks?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Jeanty could switch from great to awful in a panel's time. He was very inconsistent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

Jeanty could switch from great to awful in a panel's time.

Maybe he could, but during the entire season eight of Buffy he didn't.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yes it is.

U.S. War Machine was actually not terrible. I mean, it looked terrible and the lettering was terrible and the writing was so '90s it hurt... okay, it actually was pretty terrible. But it wasn't Chuck Austen terrible.

What? US War Machine is pure uncut Austen. It has things like a sequence where terrorists who are a rogue AIM faction with chemical weapons keyed to different racial groups with labels like "spic and span" and it turns out the leader is a self-hating black guy who's a white supremacist.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lightning Lord posted:

What? US War Machine is pure uncut Austen. It has things like a sequence where terrorists who are a rogue AIM faction with chemical weapons keyed to different racial groups with labels like "spic and span" and it turns out the leader is a self-hating black guy who's a white supremacist.

You just gave me a headache.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

mind the walrus posted:

For like the 5 children left on SA who don't know, "Chuck Austen Terrible" is absolutely the right descriptor.

I am one of those 5 children. Can you write more about it or drop a link to someone else who has written more about it?

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

"Spic and span?" Christ on the cross

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

an overdue owl posted:

I am one of those 5 children. Can you write more about it or drop a link to someone else who has written more about it?

This writeup is a good overview.

hup posted:

"Spic and span?" Christ on the cross

I can't find it on google but oh so luckily I have a copy of the trade, purchased when I was a 15 because it said "mature readers" on it, that I haven't gotten around to throwing in the goddamn trash. I'll post it to poo poo that actually happened I guess.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 17, 2016

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Alvarez IV posted:

is there a comic book artist who aims for realism in the sense that every character looks like themselves and no one else?

I don't know if this is something Rags Morales always tries to do, but one of the few things I'm fond of in Identity Crisis is the page at the end where he explains which actors he based everyone's faces on.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lightning Lord posted:

....I may have blacked out my memory of that sequence, I confess. Holy poo poo.

Even so, I found U.S. War Machine more palatable than Austen's X-Men simply by virtue of it going so far over the top that it becomes ridiculous. It's easier, I find, to not take a story too seriously when it pretty clearly doesn't take itself that seriously - and it clearly didn't, because Iron Dum Dum Dugan's Bowler Hat.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

a kitten posted:

Murata's Spider-verse cover triptych

I love the use of the old Supaidaman (the emissary of hell!) font for the "Spiderverse" on these. Also Murata is consistently great, but it feels like it's unnecessary to mention that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alhazred posted:

So are they back together in the comics? My favorite episode of Angel was the one where he and Spike try really hard to get back in Buffy's life and she basically flips them the bird and fucks off. I thought it was neat how she'd moved on with her life and these two old dudes couldn't do the same.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lurdiak posted:

So are they back together in the comics?

No, Buffy's permanently with Spike now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

No, Buffy's permanently with Spike now.

That's.... better?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's.... better?

Is it? Spike tried to rape her after all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alhazred posted:

The horror is that despite her immense strength, Buffy is still susceptible to toxic relationships (unstable older possibly abusive partner / obsessed stalker).

I'm wondering how much of that was intentional on Whedon/Noxon's part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

That's ok because he didn't have a soul back then.

The later seasons of Buffy were really bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

most seasons of Buffy were really bad.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Riley was too good for her

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Get out of here, Old Man Rhyno. You'll NEVER understand teens!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish there was a Teens React to Buffy The Vampire Slayer video that I could post right now, with a bunch of kids saying "I think my dad watched that show when he was my age."

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Things I remember Spike doing: constantly hanging around outside Buffy's house; stealing Buffy's panties; commissioning a sex robot of Buffy and then loving it; having a terrible fake British accent where he'd say things like "love" and "bloody hell" to show everyone he was British. Buffy is a bad TV show.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah but he always crashed into the Welcome to Sunnydale sign when he showed up

That was funny

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wish there was a Teens React to Buffy The Vampire Slayer video that I could post right now, with a bunch of kids saying "I think my dad watched that show when he was my age."

I watched two episodes of Angel every day right before school for like, a year or so. I even had my mattress moved to the living room so I could turn it on as soon as I wake up.

Did not make it through a single season of Buffy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I saw the og movie of buffy

The only thing I remember about it is it had one of the guys from 90210 in it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTESG_wKhwk

I thought it was neat how the first season of buffy referenced that movie and had this whole character arc where she realized she couldn't keep being a cool and normal cheerleader and going through the experience of becoming a vampire slayer made her a weirdo forever.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

site posted:

Pee-Wee Herman, too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

site posted:

I saw the movie but not the TV show.

I did hear and like the TV show's theme song a whole lot.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I adore Buffy and I'm currently rewatching it right now. On season 2. I'd say it gets better over time for sure. Later seasons are much stronger when the characters have defined themselves better.

Angel was also really good and I'd say season 5 of Angel tops any season of Buffy, but I found seasons 3 and 4 went too far into weird soap opera territory with the characters and I didn't enjoy them as much.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Season 4 of Angel was one of the worst seasons of television ever made.

Season 5 made up for it though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Whatever season it was Buffy got almost raped by Spike was the point where Buffy got real bad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lurdiak posted:

Whatever season it was Buffy got almost raped by Spike was the point where Buffy got real bad.

Season 6 was weird because they had had an epic finale season in season 5 where Buffy had died and everything so with season 6 they went in the opposite direction where her life hit rock bottom and all her lovely personal problems became the season focus instead of some world destroying plot.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Jesus christ shut up about Buffy already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really like this cover for the next issue of Star Wars