Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah just separate the hens and roosters after a batch is born and put a few hydroponics with hay grass, kill the roosters, and a sun lamp in the middle and you'll have all your colonists eating better meals.

I played the game again last night for a few hours and I'm still sad there isn't more of a campaign to speak of. Even starting in the hardest areas it's still pretty easy to get set up and rolling, and from there it's just destroying annoying alien ships until you get bored and shut it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any tips for dealing with an early Heat Wave event with the Tribal start?

Edit: It's 50C everywhere, and this heat wave shows no signs of stopping after 3 days. RIP this colony I guess

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 18, 2016

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One way is that you can make your base kind of like a thermos, build like 2-5 layers of walls or entrances, sort of like insulation, so that they need to go through a bunch of doors to get to the main sleeping/eating area. Generally if each area inside another loses about 5-10 degrees of temperature.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, probably, but it was early enough that I was still setting up separate housing, so I didn't really have time to make something that elaborate. Nice to know for the future, though!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
after I build the first couple buildings of my base i end up building a perimeter and making that perimeter indoors specifically for stuff like heat wave and toxic air

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I tried a Rich Explorer run on the coldest point on the planet (seed "gargamel", gets about -116f in winter at the coldest point).
Partway through digging a tunnel on the first day the dude went insane from the cold, punched his pet warg in the face, and got eaten. ~game over~

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there any way to not get hosed if you run the native start? I keep getting killed from stupid things like man-eating boomalope pack, gut worms, mad timber wolves or all three.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DopeGhoti posted:

Getting back into this after taking a hiatus from Alpha 9 or 10 or so, and I am relearning the hard way the importance of increasing your housing capacity before you need the additional capacity.

I would generally just suggest building a bunch of rooms in your base, you can always shove a bed in one and make it into a spare room if you need to, that's generally how I run a fort for the first year or so, just people shoved into other rooms like the dining room or the kitchen or the production room, carving out actual bedrooms does not fill an immediate need for survival so that's generally last on the list.

Also if you have any ascetics on your team they will appreciate being stuffed in the broom closet and eating raw potatoes.

Tias posted:

Is there any way to not get hosed if you run the native start? I keep getting killed from stupid things like man-eating boomalope pack, gut worms, mad timber wolves or all three.

Those are equally threatening to everyone but I would suggest using the crude crafting spot to make some bows for everyone, you should have buckets of wood and five colonists so volume of arrows can overcome the otherwise superior firepower of the raiders. Maneater packs you should hide indoors from, there's no real way to deal with them as any settlement without a glut of firepower. Gut worms shouldn't be lethal as far as i know, just make sure they get regular treatment, even without medicine.

The biggest threat to tribals that I find is raids scaling up faster than you can get good guns. Try to buy any survival rifles you can find as the basic bows aren't super good. Greatbows will serve but you want some solid rifles as soon as you can get them.

Broken Cog posted:

Any tips for dealing with an early Heat Wave event with the Tribal start?

Edit: It's 50C everywhere, and this heat wave shows no signs of stopping after 3 days. RIP this colony I guess

Tribalwear should really include a small buff to heat resistance tbh, otherwise you need to beeline for complex clothing and make some stetsons ASAP. Maybe just modify the start to include a set for your colonists because you really should have the ability to survive in the heat as a tribe, it's not like primitive humans are known for living in temperate areas.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 18, 2016

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I just make a barracks with a few beds early on and move people out of it as bedrooms are finished.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
So, turns out no new Steam keys will be given out to anyone buying the game directly from Ludeon, because a bunch of keys got stolen by fraudulent credit card purchases.

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/07/steam-key-giving-stopped-for-new-buyers/

Anyone who wants a Steam copy should buy directly on Steam. If you want DRM free or to give a bigger cut of the profits to the developer, you can still buy it from Ludeon, but you will not get a Steam key.

Any other site selling the game is using stolen keys.

Devdisigdu fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 18, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
This by the Prison Architect guys? The art style is exactly the same.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Played 10+ hours via Steam on baby's first tutorial Pheobe Chillax difficulty level yesterday to derust since i hadn't played since Alpha 8, then todays patch apparently fixed up half the events not triggering

... by jump-starting all of the non-triggered queued ones at once. Christ, that was an armageddon. Rest in peace, farm with 300+ chickens.

Kinda makes me want to go back to manual updating, since their major updates are always buggy clusterfucks until the first few hotfixes arrive.

strategery posted:

This by the Prison Architect guys? The art style is exactly the same.
I think Tynan had the Prison Architect guy help out with placeholder assets years back and they just stuck with them cause they worked so well.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 18, 2016

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Oh man can disasters be controlled with the scenario editor? Cause if I can disable solar flares it's time to finally live on a glacier.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I think Tynan had the Prison Architect guy help out with placeholder assets years back and they just stuck with them cause they worked so well.

Sort of. PA was hot at the time Rimworld was doing the Kickstarter so Tynan used it as inspiration, he didn't take art assets directly but sort of copied them as he's not an artist and was unable to produce his own stuff from scratch. If you look close you can see the models are not quite identical.

Part of the kickstarter was intended to pay an artist to do new art but turns out people liked the simple style and it stuck. Tynan talked to the artist of PA and was told it's perfectly fine.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Space Skeleton posted:

Sort of. PA was hot at the time Rimworld was doing the Kickstarter so Tynan used it as inspiration, he didn't take art assets directly but sort of copied them as he's not an artist and was unable to produce his own stuff from scratch. If you look close you can see the models are not quite identical.

Part of the kickstarter was intended to pay an artist to do new art but turns out people liked the simple style and it stuck. Tynan talked to the artist of PA and was told it's perfectly fine.
I see, thanks for elaborating on that. Probably what ended up as my vague idea after enough rounds of internet telephone game.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I would generally just suggest building a bunch of rooms in your base, you can always shove a bed in one and make it into a spare room if you need to, that's generally how I run a fort for the first year or so, just people shoved into other rooms like the dining room or the kitchen or the production room, carving out actual bedrooms does not fill an immediate need for survival so that's generally last on the list.

Also if you have any ascetics on your team they will appreciate being stuffed in the broom closet and eating raw potatoes.

Those are equally threatening to everyone but I would suggest using the crude crafting spot to make some bows for everyone, you should have buckets of wood and five colonists so volume of arrows can overcome the otherwise superior firepower of the raiders. Maneater packs you should hide indoors from, there's no real way to deal with them as any settlement without a glut of firepower. Gut worms shouldn't be lethal as far as i know, just make sure they get regular treatment, even without medicine.

The biggest threat to tribals that I find is raids scaling up faster than you can get good guns. Try to buy any survival rifles you can find as the basic bows aren't super good. Greatbows will serve but you want some solid rifles as soon as you can get them.

Tribalwear should really include a small buff to heat resistance tbh, otherwise you need to beeline for complex clothing and make some stetsons ASAP. Maybe just modify the start to include a set for your colonists because you really should have the ability to survive in the heat as a tribe, it's not like primitive humans are known for living in temperate areas.

Thanks, I don't really seem to get any traders, though :sigh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can I order my pet Warg to eat enemy corpses somehow, so I don't have to bury them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Can I order my pet Warg to eat enemy corpses somehow, so I don't have to bury them?

Restrict your warg so that the corpses are in its restricted area and no other food is available. I believe it will prefer to eat butchered meat, but if you just leave a bunch of corpses in its den, it'll eat those I would expect.

That said a general "feeding zone" constructable that you can put anything in to make animals prefer to eat it would be good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

Thanks, I don't really seem to get any traders, though :sigh:

Your other option would be to beeline for Smithing and get everyone some greatbows/pilae or a bunch of good melee weapons. You will probably need to roll at least one good crafter in your group as a tribe because lacking a lot of choice, quality of crafting is going to have to make up for it. Essentially you will have to deal with enemies the same way tribals deal with you, overwhelming numbers. Consider building some mazelike entrances to your base and setting on people with hordes of clubs, or using traps. Conventional pitched firefights will always favor the guys with the sniper rifles, unfortunately, so until you can brain them with a rock and take their sniper rifles you'll either have to fight dirty or accept some losses.

E: On a completely unrelated note, I believe you can now equip beer bottles as weapons, not sure if that's part of the base game or the community core mod but pro change whoever is responsible for it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Broken Cog posted:

Just burn them. BURN THEM ALL. :unsmigghh:

This doesn't just mean cremation using the furnace! Toss a couple molotovs somewhere exposed to the sky and away from other burnables.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Just burn them. BURN THEM ALL. :unsmigghh:

This doesn't just mean cremation using the furnace! Toss a couple molotovs somewhere exposed to the sky and away from other burnables.

I prefer to cremate them in a storage area, since the bodies are auto-stripped before going in and it means the clothing is automatically in storage and ready for selling.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crimson Harvest posted:

Oh man can disasters be controlled with the scenario editor? Cause if I can disable solar flares it's time to finally live on a glacier.

You can disable flares. You can also make it a permanent nuclear winter! Really make that ice sheet something. Might want to include some parkas in the starting gear.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Broken Cog posted:

if you don't make any other food your colonists will take care of it!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't know whether to be annoyed or happy when the area I had planned to dig out a bunch of bedrooms in turns out to be an enormous vein of plasteel.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 18, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Also every single event and pretty much everything else can be edited via the xml files

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

I don't know whether to be annoyed or happy when the area I had planned to dig out a bunch of bedrooms in turns out to be an enormous vein of plasteel.

better than me, most of the time when I plan some big underground dig it ends up opening into a giant valley. I'd be pretty excited about finding plasteel, annoying mining time notwithstanding

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you have any ascetics on your team they will appreciate being stuffed in the broom closet and eating raw potatoes

I just had a guy with this attribute wander in. Just how lovely a bedroom with they tolerate? Will he be happy in a 2x2 room, with 3/4 of the space taken up by a bed and torch?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My thriving little hamlet got brutalized by the plague, heatwave, and beavers. Every time I got a runaway person, commandos with armor and weapons from the rimsenal mod (lasers and power armor) were chasing them. This was like 4 days in. Rip Westfall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DopeGhoti posted:

I just had a guy with this attribute wander in. Just how lovely a bedroom with they tolerate? Will he be happy in a 2x2 room, with 3/4 of the space taken up by a bed and torch?

Ascetics gain a happiness bonus from having shitter bedrooms. They still dislike ugly rooms and can get claustrophobic, but the less impressive, the better.

Generally my suggestion is not to bother giving them a room, just put them up in your battery cupboard or one of your rough floor storerooms.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way to force feed a colonist having a mental breakdown (daze)? The guy with gutworms decided to wander off, and now he's starving to death just walking around, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot I can do about it.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

"the style is erotic"

I think my art colonist is lonely.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Any way to force feed a colonist having a mental breakdown (daze)? The guy with gutworms decided to wander off, and now he's starving to death just walking around, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot I can do about it.

starvation takes a while, so youre probably best off just letting him tough it out until he recovers from the daze. if you fear for his life, you can draft a colonist to arrest him- but that means you have to re-recruit him.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Drink Cheerwine posted:

starvation takes a while, so youre probably best off just letting him tough it out until he recovers from the daze. if you fear for his life, you can draft a colonist to arrest him- but that means you have to re-recruit him.

You can actually just release them and they'll still be part of the colony, they'll take a mood hit though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Arrest him, expect him to go berserk if you try though.

Otherwise you can go a long time starving before it kills you, and you should pass out first.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Danaru posted:

You can actually just release them and they'll still be part of the colony, they'll take a mood hit though

:eyepop: has it always been like that? i guess im just dumb and "catch and release" never occurred to me

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/07/alpha14-now-on-unstable-branch/

Expect things to get a lot harder soon. Tynan fixed a bug that prevented

Infestation
Manhunter pack
Psychic ship part crash
Poison ship part crash
Animal insanity (single)
Eclipse
Solar flare
Psychic drone
Toxic fallout
Volcanic winter
Heatwave
Cold snap
Flashstorm
Short circuit
Crop blight
Alphabeavers
Psychic soothe
Refugee chased
Thrumbo passes

from ever occurring

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Well that explains why my new colony is doing exceptionally well then :(

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Well that explains why my new colony is doing exceptionally well then :(

Yeah, this game is so much easier now! I must be a lot better at playing this game! Oh. Wait. Ok.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Ahahaha well that explains a lot then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
When was that patch released? Because my woes with heat waves was yesterday.