Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Aurora posted:

Yeah, but can Deku beat Goku?
Circa Dragon Ball, definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, it's pretty telling to his actual intellect that he was something like the fourth or fifth highest scoring in the written exam they all did.

He's the third highest scoring student in the class. Behind Iida and confirmed genius Momo

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think Tsuyu is fourth because she's a smart hard working froggy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kanos posted:

Todoroki pulling out all the stops and utilizing the full breadth of his powers is probably capable of beating almost anyone. The problem he has is that it's likely really hard to modulate his powers to stop someone as strong and dangerous as muscle dude without kicking the power level up to "whoops I loving killed him by burning him to death/asphyxiating/necrotizing him in a gigantic block of ice, this is incredibly awkward".

I don't think he can deal with someone who is agile or fast enough to avoid his stuff, like Stain or All Might (and probably also Muscle Dude, who was really fast). Really strong guys are also probably capable of just busting through his ice. Muscle Guy probably could have just launched himself at Todoroki and defeated him in one hit.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

JosephWongKS posted:

Yeah, but Todoroki has two girls swooning over his looks and one swooning over his skills, whereas Midoriya only has Ochako crushing on him, so Todoroki wins at life.

Then again, Sugar has all the girls literally drooling for (the cakes baked by) him, so he wins even harder.

Wait, who's swooning over Todoroki?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think he can deal with someone who is agile or fast enough to avoid his stuff, like Stain or All Might (and probably also Muscle Dude, who was really fast). Really strong guys are also probably capable of just busting through his ice. Muscle Guy probably could have just launched himself at Todoroki and defeated him in one hit.

Given that Todoroki has shown the ability to basically create miniature glaciers almost instantly on command in the tournament arc, he could probably create ice sufficiently thick/dense to stop most straight bruisers(doubtful that he could stop the crazy guys like All Might or the anti-All Might Noumu, of course). In desperation, he could probably unleash his fire side's potential and straight up burn someone to death(though he would obviously never do that, since it's not a heroic thing to do at all).

He's got an amazingly bullshit quirk. Endeavor might be an awful eugenics-practicing shithead, but you can't deny that his messed up breeding program did produce one crazy-rear end powerful kid.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kuroyama posted:

Wait, who's swooning over Todoroki?

i assume they meant this

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Kanos posted:

Given that Todoroki has shown the ability to basically create miniature glaciers almost instantly on command in the tournament arc, he could probably create ice sufficiently thick/dense to stop most straight bruisers(doubtful that he could stop the crazy guys like All Might or the anti-All Might Noumu, of course). In desperation, he could probably unleash his fire side's potential and straight up burn someone to death(though he would obviously never do that, since it's not a heroic thing to do at all).

He's got an amazingly bullshit quirk. Endeavor might be an awful eugenics-practicing shithead, but you can't deny that his messed up breeding program did produce one crazy-rear end powerful kid.

That's kind of one of the themes of Todoroki, he has to overcome the legacy and abuse of a really lovely dad, and he doesn't want to endorse his idiot father's dumb eugenics idea that not only didn't seem to work, basically wrecked his family, so he is hesitant to use his 'fire side'. The Yield to Trauma ratio isn't worth it, and the entire message is very anti-eugenics. A lot like how OfA came out of evil, I guess Todoroki's power did too, which is probably why he still wants to be a hero, even he is loathing to follow in this fathers footsteps.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackheart posted:

I think Tsuyu is fourth because she's a smart hard working froggy.

Deku is fourth, literally right behind Bakugou. Todoroki is fifth, meanwhile. Tsuyu is sixth, though, which is still high up there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It prolly had more to do with how his mom blamed everything bad about him to his fire side as the literal representation of Endeavor's shittiness.

Either way, he's already begun using his fire side, just low-key since, you know, don't wanna burn the villain to a crisp. That panel where he was using it to cook while wearing a small smile during the training camp was very :kimchi:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Space-Bird posted:

That's kind of one of the themes of Todoroki, he has to overcome the legacy and abuse of a really lovely dad, and he doesn't want to endorse his idiot father's dumb eugenics idea that not only didn't seem to work, basically wrecked his family, so he is hesitant to use his 'fire side'. The Yield to Trauma ratio isn't worth it, and the entire message is very anti-eugenics. A lot like how OfA came out of evil, I guess Todoroki's power did too, which is probably why he still wants to be a hero, even he is loathing to follow in this fathers footsteps.

He already got over the fire side hate in the tournament arc and the arcs immediately following it; the lesson that Deku helped teach him is that he's his own person and he doesn't need to hate half of himself just because his father is a horrible poo poo. Deliberately not using his fire powers for good would be like One For All users not using their powers for good because they came from an evil dickhead.

It's just that it's really hard and requires a lot of training and practice to use heat and fire effectively in combat without seriously harming or killing your targets, which is distinctly unheroic. It's way easier to just freeze someone in place temporarily or make a wall of ice to restrain them. It says a lot about Endeavor's skills that he can maintain a position as the second best hero in the business after only All Might despite having a power that would easily cause a lot of nasty collateral damage or injury, come to think of it. I can't imagine a hero would be popular if they kept horribly burning and mangling the villains they fought.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I can't wait to see the Deku bursting in to tears gags at the Calvary battle animated

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Isn't Stain's face a direct result of an encounter with Endeavor?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JD posted:

I can't wait to see the Deku bursting in to tears gags at the Calvary battle animated

Part of me really just wants to see the anime-only watchers in a lot of places if Todoroki's flashbacks are faithfully recreated; particularly Endeavor slapping his mom and making him puke his guts up. Given that nothing really dark has happened at that point in the series it was kind of a "wow, that's pretty hosed up" moment for me at least.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 18, 2016

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Fabricated posted:

Part of me really just wants to see the anime-only watchers in a lot of places if Todoroki's flashbacks are faithfully recreated; particularly Endeavor slapping his mom and making him puke his guts up. Given that nothing really dark has happened at that point in the series it was kind of a "wow, that's pretty hosed up" moment for me at least.

Honestly, the first season of anime didn't shy away from a lot of stuff and even made some stuff way worse than manga - the slime villain, Aizawa's arm being disintegrated and etc - so I'm pretty sure it'll be faithful and then some, which is good because the more people hate Endeavor the better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I finished catching up on everything and I love this series even more now. I've come around on Bakugou now that I've seen where they're going with him, but the journey was a bit rough.

I will say this though: Spinner is my favorite bad guy.

Why?

Because he's the stupidest idea for a character ever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Isn't Stain's face a direct result of an encounter with Endeavor?

That was never outright stated. It's just a very probable, compelling theory that explains a lot about him.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I finished catching up on everything and I love this series even more now. I've come around on Bakugou now that I've seen where they're going with him, but the journey was a bit rough.

Why?

Spinner is weirdly adorable. He's just such a ridiculous tryhard kid in the middle of this army of professional facefuckers.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why?

"What does Stain like? Knives! Hmm... I'll take a hundred knives and make one big one! Yeah! Cool!"

He's the best.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"And in this chapter of my fanfic, Stain confesses that I'm his best friend."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spinner is such a loving dork. It's great. Also kind of a shame we didn't get to see his first meeting with the VA. I bet that was a challenge to Shigaraki's "pretend to be nice and use Stain's followers to my advantage" thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

He already got over the fire side hate in the tournament arc and the arcs immediately following it; the lesson that Deku helped teach him is that he's his own person and he doesn't need to hate half of himself just because his father is a horrible poo poo. Deliberately not using his fire powers for good would be like One For All users not using their powers for good because they came from an evil dickhead.

It's just that it's really hard and requires a lot of training and practice to use heat and fire effectively in combat without seriously harming or killing your targets, which is distinctly unheroic. It's way easier to just freeze someone in place temporarily or make a wall of ice to restrain them. It says a lot about Endeavor's skills that he can maintain a position as the second best hero in the business after only All Might despite having a power that would easily cause a lot of nasty collateral damage or injury, come to think of it. I can't imagine a hero would be popular if they kept horribly burning and mangling the villains they fought.

Just like Advol did it. Fire handcuffs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I also think it's great that we have a shounen series where characters, in addition to fighting, discuss or confront each other about the issues holding them back instead of just bottling it up and getting worse.

Bakugou is the exception but it's also due to the fact that he's 100 % frank; he's just a shitheel for most of the series until reality gobsmacks him enough times. Likewise, Iida's stubborness almost immediately backfires on him, and Izuku criticizes himself for not realizing it sooner. It's just. A nice change of pace from literally every other manga ever.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I feel like I may have asked this before, but can someone explain for me the significance of "Deku"?

Why is it an insult? Does the "De" letter mean something?

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
It's kinda cool when the characters act like people and talk about their problems instead of being obnoxious shits about them. It has a nice side effect of keeping the pace up as well.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

JD posted:

I feel like I may have asked this before, but can someone explain for me the significance of "Deku"?

I don't know where Ochako gets the "never give up" vibe from (could be because "Deku" is close to "Dekiru" which means "able to/can do") but I don't think there's anything inherently negative making Deku an insult. Bakugou is just changing the reading of the 出 in Izuku's name to "De" in order to show off his Kanji-reading abilities, then he just decides to make it into an insult since he's a dick to Midoriya. Kid stuff. There may be more to it that I didn't catch though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JD posted:

I think a translation note somewhere says Deku means "good-for-nothing" or something like that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't know where Ochako gets the "never give up" vibe from (could be because "Deku" is close to "Dekiru" which means "able to/can do") but I don't think there's anything inherently negative making Deku an insult. Bakugou is just changing the reading of the 出 in Izuku's name to "De" in order to show off his Kanji-reading abilities, then he just decides to make it into an insult since he's a dick to Midoriya. Kid stuff. There may be more to it that I didn't catch though.

頑張る [でく]

JD posted:

It's suppose to mean "Can't achieve anything" and its also the green scrub from Zelda.

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 19, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JD posted:

He's Deku because he's a scrub.

The nickname came about because the kanji in Izuku can also be read as Deku.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/3M0j2eb.gifv

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Thanks guys!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's gonna be a spinoff story focusing on vigilantes. It won't be by Horikoshi though.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Fabricated posted:

Looks like we're getting another spinoff!

Vigilante - My Hero Academia Illegals
I also hear My Hero Academia 2 is called Deku Deku Panic in Japan, except when its international port gets re-released there as My Hero Academia U.S.ofSmash.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

GimmickMan posted:

So what you're saying is... Deku is the Sakura? :v:
I'm thinking more Shikamaru.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

gnome7 posted:

He's Deku because he's a scrub.

The nickname came about because the kanji in Izuku can also be read as Deku.

I feel compelled to point out Deku also basically means "blockhead" Bakugo is basically Lucy, and Our Boy Deku is Charlie Brown.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

And just like Charlie Brown, he hurts himself when he goes 100% for the football.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Imagine the the football being kicked

Jintor
May 19, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

While I was still reading it for the first time, I saw Todoroki more as a Zuko than Sasuke, personally.

I really like that Todoroki is like an inverse Zuko, in that he resents his dad like crazy and actively craves to disappoint/defy him.

Though he comes ultimately to the same conclusion, i.e. gently caress dad, it's my life

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He certainly feels influenced by Zuko, to say the least.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't imagine that Zuko had much of an influence if only because Avatar, afaik, did horribly in Japan.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlbn2zUQACQ lol Azula's voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eej posted:

I can't imagine that Zuko had much of an influence if only because Avatar, afaik, did horribly in Japan.
That's a shame, it's a hell of a lot better than the majority of anime. Better animation, too.