Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Not a huge SMT player. Any standout TheAreBroken skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Not a huge SMT player. Any standout TheAreBroken skills?

Buffs/debuffs (Tarukaja, Rakukaja, Sukukaja, and Tarunda, Rakunda and Sukunda) are very strong as they are in SMT, especially since missing in this game breaks session chains. So an enemy missing can save a character, and you missing can lose a lot of damage from the session.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 18, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like the slayer skills because they seem to remove other resistances a creature might have that would otherwise break a session. I'm talking Espada, Wyrmkiller, etc. They are also incredibly strong with the Martyr skill Itsuki gets lategame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General skills you want in rough order of priority:

Any skill that hits a specific weakness. (Armorslayer, Espada, ect.)
Any skill that is a damage that also applies debuff. (Fang Breaker, Hamstring, ect.)
At least one elemental skill, either physical or magical depending on the character. Any character who can get multiple elements probably should.
Debuff and Buff skills.
A strong AoE attack. This one is largely for time-saving more than anything and you should never bother with more than one.
Charge and Concentrate which can hilariously buff your total damage when Sessions become a big thing.

The first three are something *every* character should have if possible. Every character should have at least one Weapon and one Element for sessioning purposes, with the exception of Kiria (who doesn't really get good physical skills and is purely magical) and MAYBE Tsubasa. (Whose physical skills hit like a whiffle bat.)

Always prioritize higher damage skills. Magic costs are basically a nonentity and you should never worry about them. The exception is skills with unique attributes. (I.E: Debuffs or Slayer) where having a lower damage is an acceptable tradeoff for their unique effect. Prioritize single-target over AoE because the game will throw in enemies who reflect or absorb AoEs to screw with you.

Things to note:
Buffs and debuffs are very powerful but also can be replicated by non-skills. There are purchasable items that replace them and SP skills that grant their effects. These are pretty expensive early on but later are sort of trivial.
Do not both with the Buff/Debuff removing spells. Those are replicated by items and come up so rarely they're not worth an skill slot. This also applies to revival spells which are trivially replaced by items.
In general think about this when picking a spell or skill: "Will I use this often" and "Can it be replaced by something else?" Anything that fits in A but not in B should be a priority to you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 18, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Also, use Mamori. Always use Mamori as soon as she's available. She's the tank, who is also the best healer/reviver/buffer thanks to SP skills. Her heal fully heals the party then gives her an extra turn so she didn't just waste a turn healing. Her revive fully revives the party to full. Her buff gives a 3 turn bonus to offense, defense, hit and dodge. plus she's an incredibly tough nut to crack, even when enemies explot her weaknesses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Also, use Mamori. Always use Mamori as soon as she's available. She's the tank, who is also the best healer/reviver/buffer thanks to SP skills. Her heal fully heals the party then gives her an extra turn so she didn't just waste a turn healing. Her revive fully revives the party to full. Her buff gives a 3 turn bonus to offense, defense, hit and dodge. plus she's an incredibly tough nut to crack, even when enemies explot her weaknesses.

Yeah, when you first get Mamori you may see her take damage to her weakness and go "what, that sucks?!" but the trick is that Mamori's defensive stats are through the roof. She will end up with more HP than any other two party members combined and take massively reduced damage even to her weaknesses. She is an incredibly powerful tank and should probably be a mainstay of your party once you get her. As long as she is alive (and she probably will be) your party can't wipe.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That said, don't sweat party composition too much. I brought Itsuki, Kiria and Yashiro to the final boss and came out smelling like roses. Also, switching party members mid-fight is a free action so if you accidentally brought someone weak to the boss, don't sweat it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
This game is good, but I really wouldn't mind having some way to fast forward through sessions, as things begin to take a really long time when every turn results in at least a six session chain. It might require changing how duo arts work though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/755141024624828416

That's not too bad for retail.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Eopia posted:

This game is good, but I really wouldn't mind having some way to fast forward through sessions, as things begin to take a really long time when every turn results in at least a six session chain. It might require changing how duo arts work though.

The Arena really made me wish for a fast forward button, and I hope a sequel has that as a QoL improvement.

Does that count digital sales too?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nope. A followup tweet made by that account says that digital sales will push the number up, but not by much.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

Does that count digital sales too?

No, but Nintendo will be doing earnings next week so they might give out the numbers.

It's actually pretty good for retail. Persona 4 DAN on Vita only did 25k in the same month long time period.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Kiria and Mamori are the best party members by far and mamori's specials are dumb good

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Are armor, Def, and Res all different forms of damage reduction, or do any of them increase the enemies' chance to miss? The manual says that Def and Res determine your "Ability to resist sustaining" damage. I'm not sure whether that means that it stops damage from hurting you, or if it reduces the damage you take. It doesn't really say anything about what armor does.

Similarly, is Str added to attack to determine your damage?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Are armor, Def, and Res all different forms of damage reduction, or do any of them increase the enemies' chance to miss? The manual says that Def and Res determine your "Ability to resist sustaining" damage. I'm not sure whether that means that it stops damage from hurting you, or if it reduces the damage you take. It doesn't really say anything about what armor does.

Similarly, is Str added to attack to determine your damage?

Armor is a flat buff to your defense I believe while Def and Res are specifically Physical and Magic. There are skills and buffs that increase your evasion though.

I don't actually remember off the top of my head if weapon damage is just for physical attacks or also for physical spells. SMT is kinda iffy on this but I *think* it impacts both in TMS.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

ImpAtom posted:

Armor is a flat buff to your defense I believe while Def and Res are specifically Physical and Magic. There are skills and buffs that increase your evasion though.

I don't actually remember off the top of my head if weapon damage is just for physical attacks or also for physical spells. SMT is kinda iffy on this but I *think* it impacts both in TMS.

Thanks! Any idea whether Skl does anything for magic attacks? I don't think that I've ever seen one miss, but I haven't been playing that long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Thanks! Any idea whether Skl does anything for magic attacks? I don't think that I've ever seen one miss, but I haven't been playing that long.

Magic attacks can miss too though I don't know off the top of my head if skill impacts them. You can see it most often with the Evasion buff/debuff spells which can really cornhole hit rates.

Honestly, unless a character or enemy has a buff or debuff up or a skill that grants evasion boosts (or is one of a few rare gimmick monsters) you're probably never going to miss or do so very rarely. However note that this does make the evasion/hit buffs/debuffs VERY powerful. If you apply the debuff to the enemy and the buff to yourself your defense goes through the roof.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Magic attacks can miss too though I don't know off the top of my head if skill impacts them. You can see it most often with the Evasion buff/debuff spells which can really cornhole hit rates.

Honestly, unless a character or enemy has a buff or debuff up or a skill that grants evasion boosts (or is one of a few rare gimmick monsters) you're probably never going to miss or do so very rarely. However note that this does make the evasion/hit buffs/debuffs VERY powerful. If you apply the debuff to the enemy and the buff to yourself your defense goes through the roof.

Unless they're fuckin Tsubasa

That girl couldn't hit the broad side of a barn -_-

I had to buy her a Skill accessory and some incenses to stop her from screwing up sessions all the time

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah the only character I ever really saw miss was Tsubasa who loves loving up a good session

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just put the skill/speed trinkets on all of my units except for Itsuki, who got the kinshin emblem

Speaking of which, what do the advanced course emblems do?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The only really notable times I can remember someone missing frequently was Touma with his Macca Converter weapon, which explicitly has a higher chance to miss.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Just got back to playing after clearing some other things from my back catalog.

Beat chapter four and was wondering if you ever get Tsubasa' sneezing detective costume?

I don't know if that's spoiler worthy or not but I figured I'd play it safe.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Are Physical / Elemental attacks such as Fire Strike based on strength? It kinda seems like they might be based on Magic. Do you use your big muscles to burn someone harder?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

SylvainMustach posted:

Beat chapter four and was wondering if you ever get Tsubasa' sneezing detective costume?

You get both versions of it at some point.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Are Physical / Elemental attacks such as Fire Strike based on strength? It kinda seems like they might be based on Magic. Do you use your big muscles to burn someone harder?

They're based on strength.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SylvainMustach posted:

Yes, you do get the Launch outfit

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SylvainMustach posted:

Like all costumes they're available in the costume store

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Thanks Systematic!

That was a fun question to ask. "Tokyo Mirage Sessions - Use your big muscles to burn someone harder!"

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Like all costumes they're available in the costume store

Remember to play the lotto to get costumes for Tiki.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does Itsuki ever get a good outfit

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

His default session one is cool imo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

His default session one is cool imo

:sigh: yeah it's just everyone else has some fun ones even Ellie who is severely lacking has better options than him

e; the fact not everyone gets a microwavin mamorin outfit is a travesty

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

smh if you don't have him wear the DS2 hoodie at all times.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kashuno posted:

e; the fact not everyone gets a microwavin mamorin outfit is a travesty

:same:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just put him in his school clothes if I feel like mixing it up

Idk why they locked his good outfits to NG+

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Hell yeah thanks guys

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

smh if you don't have him wear the DS2 hoodie at all times.

This. The bunny hoodie is really good and totally worth the 2bux!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Chalk me and one of my friends up as two more people who thought the chorus to DREAM*CATCHER sounded exactly like the Squid Sisters' song from Splatoon. Tsubasa and Ellie are even dressed in similar outfits/colors!

Can't wait for the soundtrack. Which is not something I thought I'd say about this game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Thankfully Kiria is a magical tank because I had no hope of beating the Chapter 4 boss without her.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Xad posted:

Chalk me and one of my friends up as two more people who thought the chorus to DREAM*CATCHER sounded exactly like the Squid Sisters' song from Splatoon.
That's because they're both modern takes on a traditional Japanese-folk music. I'm sure you notice that "1, 12, 123456" structure in both songs. That structure and the vocal rhythmic patterns are used in a style that is uncommon to western music, so you end up comparing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I now own this game. :toot: Thank you, regional Australians, for having poor enough taste (:goonsay:) to leave me a Fortissimo edition this long after release.

• Locked thread