Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

don't post small doc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Michaeldim posted:

And of course:

Are these actual quotes from the scenes?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Some are, some aren't. Care to make any bets?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
No, they're all legit.

Learning Curve, one of the stupid Irish hologram episodes, the one where a giant alien tries to gently caress Voyager, the one where the Doctor goes to the Alpha Quadrant to cure his gay dad with nanoprobes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think they're all real except for kate saying she has a boyfriend who malfunctions. I haven't seen the show since it aired but the rest seem to ring a bell or seem plausible. Even tuvok saying they lost their sex appeal, like some alien was trying to mate with the ship or something and they had to be unsexy.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Animal-Mother posted:

don't post small doc

I <3 my hosed up tiny doctor

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

criscodisco posted:

It's not like he has vocal chords that are oscillating.

I'm not one for defending Voyager, but

Even standard rear end holograms probably have simulated larynxes. You've got to move the mouth and poo poo anyway, and if they have an Adam's apple that should flap, and they have to breathe or that would be creepy. Ultimately if you're getting a BJ from a hologram, their throat should vibrate when they hum. Ultimately the easiest way to accomplish all of this is to just have physical, real vocal organs that produce sound the old fashioned way.

So making him smaller would make his voice higher

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You can make a force field vibrate without making another force field inside acting as a larynx.

naem
May 29, 2011

STAR TREK: VOYAGER: ULTIMATELY, IF YOURE GETTING A BJ FROM A HOLOGRAM, THEIR THROAT SHOULD VIBRATE WHEN THEY HUM

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I almost liked to assume holograms were just one glitched line of code away from being those Assassin Creeds horrors of hollowed out faces and floating eyes.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

criscodisco posted:

You can make a force field vibrate without making another force field inside acting as a larynx.

Sure, but how do you make sound? Vibrate air. And they got to speak anyway. So either they dampen the sound coming from the already existing vibrations and then use crazy positional audio and digital synthesis, or they just use the already existing pockets of air inside the hologram and make one field inside vibrate like a larynx and have physics based audio that is totally realistic.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Why not just replicate a high end speaker and embed it inside their head? I mean, surely by the 24th century, speaker technology has to be insane.

If you tell the computer to make you a person you really has to pee, does the hologram have a full holographic bladder, or does it just make him act antsy and generate the urine starting at his weener tip?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

criscodisco posted:

Why not just replicate a high end speaker and embed it inside their head? I mean, surely by the 24th century, speaker technology has to be insane.

If you tell the computer to make you a person you really has to pee, does the hologram have a full holographic bladder, or does it just make him act antsy and generate the urine starting at his weener tip?

a speaker is just a vibrating membrane and a resonant chamber, and using analogue physical reproduction means the voice would be affected by say, holding their lips open. In your model, the computer would have to react instantly to you interfering with their mouth and do a bunch of physical simulation anyway to get the right sounds. It would be way easier to just have the air passages as forcefields, that way you get the sound for free from all the motion you have to do anyway for verisimilitude.

for sure they would have a bladder. If you brought a betlheH onto the holodeck, Worf-style, and sliced him up you'd want to (and we do in fact) see organs and piss explode everywhere. If you had ultrasonic vision like space Batman you would want to see all their organs. If you were training medical students you'd like to see all the organs do their stuff. just look at all the internal organs mortal kombat x characters have. it would be crazy for what is essentially the last word in computational power and simulation accuracy do any less. Instead of just doing all the insane physics simulation computationally, why not just simulate the anatomy and use real physics for free?

By example, on the holodeck every part of a gun is simulated. A gun can be dismantled, the pieces repurposed for whatever you might like to use them for. One could melt the iron, for instance, or eat the gunpowder. To expect any less from a character is silly, especially when you consider how many times holodecks are used for safety simulations or gently caress parties.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnZHea_TI0

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

In that Dark Threads episode where the doctor becomes evil we see holograms bisected and they have no internal structures. Only degenerates would need to model the interior of a hologram anyway.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Computer, load program La Forge Zero Zero Six Nine, model full internal structures.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Doctor gave himself a dick.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Why is it even an argument about the Doc having a munchkin voice when he's munchkin-fied?

Like LOL if you wouldn't make a hologram a midget and not make him sound like the chipmunks loving the Lollipop Guild.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
TinyDoc is probably someone's fetish

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TinyDoc is probably someone's fetish

well poo poo, i suppose i always knew this day would come

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
If anyone cares I gave my wife full info from here on S1 of DS9 and what to expect but mentioned that the Tosk plot sounded up my alley so she insisted we watch it. It wasn't a disaster but definitely didn't do anything to win her over. When the 3 hunters beam in and do that terrible cheesy stiff walking stuff in their helmets she just busted out laughing.

S1 just has so many episodes it seemed drastic to skip that many - Duet is next to last of the season. Still going to have to pull the all or nothing thing and skip to Duet I think. Though the premise for one of the episodes about everyone's fantasy becoming reality peaked her interest too - "If wishes were horses" iirc. Anyone recall if that was good?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's actually kinda poo poo. Chubby baseball dude following sisko around wanting to talk about baseball.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

It's actually kinda poo poo. Chubby baseball dude following sisko around wanting to talk about baseball.
Ha. We we were thinking sexytime stuff.

Thank god I asked. Duet it is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's not their fantasies, it's what ever random poo poo they were thinking about at the time. Miles just got finished reading molly a story about Rumpelstiltskin so bam, there he is. Sisko is always thinking about baseball, so there he is. Dax has no time for fantasies so ends up thinking about science disasters that come true. Bashir is lusting after dax so he gets a stupid subservient dax that's in love with him. It's all aliens trying to understand humans and this strange thing called "imagination" and "fantasy" which they can't understand because after exploring the galaxy humans are the first to have imaginations/fantaties despite trek never showing aliens that don't.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Stop being a bitch and just watch all of DS9. If the episode is boring put it on while you are prepping dinner or something.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Stop being a bitch and just watch all of DS9. If the episode is boring put it on while you are prepping dinner or something.

But he's trying to get a hu-mon female to watch the whole series through. A bit different scenario.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also even the bad episodes end up having some interesting character bits/development so just watch them all.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

shadow puppet of a posted:

But he's trying to get a hu-mon female to watch the whole series through. A bit different scenario.

This will only end in bitter divorce

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Skip to Duet. The first season of DS9 is like someone found a crate full of rejected season 1 TNG scripts.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yeah and a normal hu-mon female who has no care for sci fi or geeky stuff in general, and has never watched Trek except for JJ. I'm pulling miracles out of my wormhole here just selling an old Star Trek show to her.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife didn't like scify and didn't even know what startrek was and wasn't a nerd, had literally never heard of star trek, loved the poo poo out of DS9 and got mad if I suggested skipping episodes even if they were bad because "what if some character says something funny"

When we got through it all she got such ds9 withdrawal she bought a big ds9 poster and frame for our home.

She loved everything about ds9 except for dax who she thought was an extremely boring know-it-all who added nothing to the show. She's certainly my least liked character. Shortdax we liked because at least she had some sort of character traits beyond "wise old know-it-all". She actually had some struggle and development. Oh and mirror universe episodes she hated those.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 19, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

My wife didn't like scify and didn't even know what startrek was and wasn't a nerd, had literally never heard of star trek, loved the poo poo out of DS9 and got mad if I suggested skipping episodes even if they were bad because "what if some character says something funny"

When we got through it all she got such ds9 withdrawal she bought a big ds9 poster and frame for our home.

She's a keeper.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hold me closer, tiny doctor

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wife update: just today she got into an argument with a coworker about DS9. He had some voyager stuff on his desk and she was all "oh hey you like startrek! I love startrek too!" but it turned into a rant about how she has to watch voyager because it's actually the best trek and ds9 is the worst trek so she argued back and now she thinks this guy is a tasteless idiot and is absolutely dumbfounded how anyone could prefer voyager to ds9. It may have affected their working relationship.

I tried to talk her into giving voyager a try. "There's a couple good episodes over the entire run of the show, a few of the characters are ok, it's actually pretty fun trying to guess how they'll ruin every potentially interesting idea or make something cool dumb and boring every time". She watched some youtube clips and instantly was all "Is the captain supposed to be sort of crazy? Why is that fuzzy guy so annoying? Why is everyone so bland, they're even blander than Next Gen"

She liked next gen but said a lot of episodes were a chore to get through and the characters, plots, sets, all seem so flat and beige compared to ds9. I had so much nostalgia about next gen but man she was right, it's really hard to watch nextgen after ds9. "Beige" is really the best word to describe the show.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Once the grand space opera is over you can then go back and watch the one-off season 1 episodes like little after dinner mints found in a glovebox. You don't actually skip-skip them, you just take a more Prophetical approach to their viewing order.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haha dude was actually saying the only reason people hate on voyager is because it had a woman captain and they're just sexist even if they don't think they are. Any PROGRESSIVE scify fan should love voyager.
But ds9 was too "dark" and "violent" and sisko "was always too angry" and "religious" and "obsessed about racism"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

Haha dude was actually saying the only reason people hate on voyager is because it had a woman captain and they're just sexist even if they don't think they are. Any PROGRESSIVE scify fan should love voyager.

The Ghostbusters Defense

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

But ds9 was too "dark" and "violent" and sisko "was always too angry" and "religious" and "obsessed about racism"

:qq: waaah waaaaaaahh a work of soft science fiction addressed social conditions relevant to the period of its publication, instead of meticulously jerking me off with information concerning the surface tension of latinum in varying a atmospheric conditions, or detailed technical specifications for building a holodeck waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh :qq:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not a violent or vindictive man, but I hope that guy runs into someone who is both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Baronjutter posted:

Laffo, MY scifi series set in a a future psuedo-communist society of true human equality is more PROGRESSIVE than YOUR scifi series with the exact same setting.