Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
6.5 hours from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I will be :f5: at 8AM my time then. I'll laugh my rear end off if they are all sold out by noon.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's an _optional_ part of the VESA DisplayPort standard.

I know, my point is it wouldn't be an extra cost to nvidia, it's pretty clear they could do it if they wanted to.
Would nvidia licence gsync to amd? I highly doubt it, and it would only promote higher monitor prices as gsync became the new norm.
Then again, nvidia would still make a tidy sum on the monitors, as they must be doing so, I can't see any other reason for not implementing vesa adaptive sync.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 19, 2016

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

So I caved and got a MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8g OC from B&H Photo when I saw it in stock. Free 2 day shipping, too. It's replacing my SLI GTX 980s which I've loved.
I forgot what I had the 980s overclocked to exactly, but they'd reach around 60° to 70°c on high load (one card being warmer by 7 or so degrees). My CPU is water cooled and I just have 2 front fans and a large rear fan.

I've scored pretty much the same in Firestrike on my 1080p monitor. MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8g OC
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9397302/fs/9394362

So that's what I was after, getting same performance with lower heat/power non-SLI. It reaches 70° on high load without a custom fan profile. I've overclocked it to boost to 2100 core/6000mem. It steps up to 2126mhz sometimes and occasionally crashes at that so I'm keeping the offset a little low. It stays around 69° with a custom fan profile and I don't notice much fan difference since I usually have AC or fans on in the house.

I have an i7 3930K and motherboard to switch to from my 2600k but haven't gotten around to that. I was planning on 3-way sli'ing my 980s, but will be happy with the 1080. Hopefully selling the 980s will get me back what I spent on this new card.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

BurritoJustice posted:

ULMB is backlight strobing. The only FreeSync monitors that support it are the BenQ TN ones that include it independently of FreeSync.

Eizo also has at least one: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_foris_fs2735.htm

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
First 1060s have started appearing: mini version here and standard version here.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey neat, it's IPS and has 144Hz ULMB. Definitely the best FreeSync option. But holy crap it's comically expensive. You can get an X34 with change for the same money ($1289).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My old MSI GTX760 recently died and I'm thinking of replacing my monitor with a 4k one some time later this year.

I'm thinking of getting a 1060. Did I read this right, the Nvidia FE is basically the best price-performance wise?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sereri posted:

My old MSI GTX760 recently died and I'm thinking of replacing my monitor with a 4k one some time later this year.

I'm thinking of getting a 1060. Did I read this right, the Nvidia FE is basically the best price-performance wise?

A 1060 is not going to play games at 4k, which is worth bearing in mind. And the FE's are the worst choice, price/performance wise, especially for the 1060's where we're getting partner boards the same day as the FE's.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Korean benchmarks of 1060 vs 480.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just came in to post this. Tl;dr is that it's a couple of FPS faster across the board. It's also pretty useless at 4k which is unsurprising but sucks for me as I'll have to stick with the 1070 most likely. But the performance combined with supposedly lower power consumption and comparable price is definitely good new for nvidia.

A bit surprised that this seems to be the only review out yet, and it's already half of the day done in most of the world. There's this thing which suggests that there might be larger differences in other games, so I'd wait for more reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1ghe9SriY E: also wait for Ashes of Singularity :v:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If those results are repeated then it's a slightly slower and less efficient 480 vs a slightly faster and mor eefficient 1060. Prices look to be identical or very nearly, so it could come down to which version of sync you have or intend to get. For me, it would probably be the 480 and a freesync monitor later, even if it's a touch slower and hotter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, this is loving odd, for lack of better word:
http://videocardz.com/62392/asus-shows-off-radeon-rx-480-strix-and-rx-480-dual

How the hell does a 5% overclock get a 19% FPS boost in doom :confused:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

We already knew this, I just want to see what the overclock is going to be like

Truga posted:

afaik there is no official "Doom Benchmark" so any two tests may or may not be identical

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Truga posted:

Probably a combination of better cooling + OC, so the boost clock stays more stable. 19% seems like a lot though, like in a worst case scenario where the RX 480 reference was never clocking above normal speeds.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

19% just happens to be the difference between the reference base clock and Strix boost clock. Did they rig the test environment to ensure the reference card would thermal throttle? :v:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
More importantly, "let's publish these unplayable framerates!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I played aq2 on 320x240 at 24fps for like 2 years before upgrading and I loved every moment of it, wtf are you on about. Those frame rates are top tier :v:

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
$300 R9 Fury
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186&ignorebbr=1

I guess if you have a case large enough it wouldn't be a bad deal.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

So what's the word on AIB 480s, good card? or are they still blowing up or drawing too much power or whatever it is.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sout posted:

So what's the word on AIB 480s, good card? or are they still blowing up or drawing too much power or whatever it is.

Nobody knows. Still.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sout posted:

The power draw over PCIe slot problem was already fully solved on all 480s through a driver update (with no performance loss, shifted more power to the PCIe power connector). As for those third-party custom 480s, well... we're still waiting on them to be released.

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Just came in to post this. Tl;dr is that it's a couple of FPS faster across the board. It's also pretty useless at 4k which is unsurprising but sucks for me as I'll have to stick with the 1070 most likely. But the performance combined with supposedly lower power consumption and comparable price is definitely good new for nvidia.

A bit surprised that this seems to be the only review out yet, and it's already half of the day done in most of the world. There's this thing which suggests that there might be larger differences in other games, so I'd wait for more reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1ghe9SriY E: also wait for Ashes of Singularity :v:

Regarding your linked Youtube video of a GTX960 v RX 480 v GTX1060 playing Mirrors Edge, am I meant to notice any difference other than that the FPS numbers are different (in this case the range is 45 to 80). I've always wondered at the fascination with higher FPS but don't really understand what difference I'm meant to be seeing. Maybe it's just that YouTube can't reproduce the difference :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sout posted:

The overdraw thing was fixed in drivers, the only time it might be an issue is if you want to OC and your chip sample actually needs more power(instead of less, :lol:) to OC, but the 480 looks to be a pretty mediocre OCer so far, maybe that will change with water cooling and such. Anyway, as long as you are fine with stock clocks you are fine on power draw. As far as AIBs go they seem to mostly be delayed and release dates still seem to be mostly up in the air, I'm not even in the market for one and I'm somewhat annoyed at the bungling going on here. :sigh:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

here we go

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1060-review,1.html & http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1060-fcat-frametime-analysis-review,1.html
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-1060-6GB-Review-GP106-Starting-249
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679.html#xtor=RSS-100
http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060/

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 19, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

TimeWaster posted:

Regarding your linked Youtube video of a GTX960 v RX 480 v GTX1060 playing Mirrors Edge, am I meant to notice any difference other than that the FPS numbers are different (in this case the range is 45 to 80). I've always wondered at the fascination with higher FPS but don't really understand what difference I'm meant to be seeing. Maybe it's just that YouTube can't reproduce the difference :shrug:

It's definitely something that's more felt in actual gameplay I would say, just in terms of how quickly the game seems to respond to your inputs. You shouldn't be able to notice any difference above 60fps on this video.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

And there it is

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Thanks for these. Have another arstechnica.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sout posted:

It's definitely something that's more felt in actual gameplay I would say, just in terms of how quickly the game seems to respond to your inputs. You shouldn't be able to notice any difference above 60fps on this video.

The choppy reaction to the inputs definitely stands out the most in gameplay. Something like 40fps isn't even that bad but whenever UT dropped into that range it was basically unplayable, even though just looking at it from a distance is fine.

Truga posted:

And there it is
Well that's nice except...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

And there it is

The RX480s extra value evaporates once you start looking at custom designs though, at least in the UK.

Custom 1060s start at £239 (in-stock and shipping today) and custom RX480s start at £250 (shipping eventually).

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 19, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Truga posted:

And there it is

Er, why is the GTX 1060 on there twice?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Er, why is the GTX 1060 on there twice?

One is $250 MSRP, the other is actual price ($300).

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011

sout posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

The choppy reaction to the inputs definitely stands out the most in gameplay. Something like 40fps isn't even that bad but whenever UT dropped into that range it was basically unplayable, even though just looking at it from a distance is fine.

Thanks, that makes more sense to me now. I've always misinterpreted that it's visually better rather than input based.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Truga posted:

At least here in the US, the pricing is actually looking like it'll be reasonable. Best Buy has 2 GTX 1060's up for 250 and one for 260. The PNY they had in stock immediately sold out at 250. The only GTX 1060 I see being directly sold by Amazon is a Zotac AMP card for 280. Newegg also has a Gigabyte card for 250.

Unlike the 1070 and 1080, there's actual competition to be had in this price/performance bracket, I think there will be more incentive to sell closer to the 'real' MSRP rather than the FE one.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 19, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Truga posted:

Ah. So there's no expectation the 1060 will be sold at MSRP? That's...sort of annoying.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beautiful Ninja posted:

At least here in the US, the pricing is actually looking like it'll be reasonable. Best Buy has 2 GTX 1060's up for 250 and one for 260. The PNY they had in stock immediately sold out at 250. The only GTX 1060 I see being directly sold by Amazon is a Zotac AMP card for 280.

Unlike the 1070 and 1080, there's actual competition to be had in this price/performance bracket, I think there will be more incentive to sell closer to the 'real' MSRP rather than the FE one.

Well, there were also $199 RX 480s to be had on release day, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

axeil posted:

Ah. So there's no expectation the 1060 will be sold at MSRP? That's...sort of annoying.

MSRP in the UK is £250, and I've seen them at £240. So it's going to be determined by how much manufacturers are going to try and gouge early adopters. ASUS seem to be one of those trying to pull a fast one since the cheaper MSI and EVGA cards (both £240) are selling out first so anyone who wants one immediately is gonna have to shell out for a more expensive card.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

axeil posted:

Well there's one GTX 1060 at MSRP. Gigabyte Windforce.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-14125879-S0B

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

For the US at least, the 1060 seems to have an actual minimum MSRP SKU released though if they're not the "on sale" units they're simply offbrand blowers. :geno:

For everyone else, they're getting shafted as much as they can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TimeWaster posted:

Thanks, that makes more sense to me now. I've always misinterpreted that it's visually better rather than input based.

Well yeah it's visually better too of course :)

But I think the perception is significantly influenced by the game and how you play it. Aren't a lot of console games locked to 30fps? That's downright terrible for anything but slow paced adventures and what not, but apparently people were ok with that when played from a distance with a controller.