Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do countries with less draconian prison systems have similar bans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: Feng Shui 2 is currently on sale for $10 until the 21st.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Everyone should buy Feng Shui 2.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wow, is that 49.95 price tag normal for only a PDF?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

alg posted:

Wow, is that 49.95 price tag normal for only a PDF?

Drivethru always quotes the markdown from buying the actual book.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Is Feng Shui 2 good? It looks ridiculous and might be the curveball my group needs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agrias120 posted:

Is Feng Shui 2 good? It looks ridiculous and might be the curveball my group needs.
It's really good.

Be sure you have a nice shot counter for use during the game.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Agrias120 posted:

It is if you want Hong Kong Action Movie the RPG. Now, that takes the large range of HK action, from wuxia to heroic bloodshed, but it is highly focused on thinking of the game in action movie terms. The exploding d6-d6 dice mechanic is ridiculous in terms of swinginess, but it's another HK cinema throwback.

At the end of the day, it's fun and pretty fast to get right into the game. For 10 bucks, it's definitely a good price to give it a try for the combination of action and over-the-top setting.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

thelazyblank posted:

It is if you want Hong Kong Action Movie the RPG. Now, that takes the large range of HK action, from wuxia to heroic bloodshed, but it is highly focused on thinking of the game in action movie terms. The exploding d6-d6 dice mechanic is ridiculous in terms of swinginess, but it's another HK cinema throwback.

At the end of the day, it's fun and pretty fast to get right into the game. For 10 bucks, it's definitely a good price to give it a try for the combination of action and over-the-top setting.

It's pretty easy to adapt it for other, related genres - I ran a martial arts comic (Shang-Chi, Richard Dragon, Iron Fist, etc) campaign very successfully with it.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 14, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Realizing that Feng Shui 2 is an RPG, would anyone be able to speak to how it compares to A Fistful of Kung Fu?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

It's pretty easy to adapt it for other, related genres - I ran a martial arts comic (Shang-Chi, Richard Dragon, Iron Fist, etc) campaign very successfully with it.

Yeah, I should have clarified that HK Action is a lot wider than most people think it is. The book does a really good job explaining that martial arts media of most sorts fits under the umbrella of Things This Can Do. As long as the genre you're looking to use has room for Action Movie Physics and Cool Over-The-Top things, this is the game for you.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Realizing that Feng Shui 2 is an RPG, would anyone be able to speak to how it compares to A Fistful of Kung Fu?

Just looking at the description, Feng Shui 2 seems to be the less tactical, more roleplay cousin situation. It's definitely got the variety of insanity in the minis at least. Feng Shui 2 tends not to use a map, going for more theater-of-the-mind action scenes where you're supposed to use the environment to try to make an enjoyable action movie scene.

EDIT: Posting from work, may have more rambling about FS2 later.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
How does Feng Shui 2 differ from the first edition?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Massively streamlined, much better designed. It's a marked improvement.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 14, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

mikeycp posted:

Archetypes are more balanced and those that have lower stats tend to have something to make them unique and fun, less stats, less archetype customization in favor of pick-up-and-go archetypes (chargen literally is Pick Name, Pick Archetype, Pick Melodramatic Hook), simpler level up system and overall show a better understanding of the math of a d6-d6 system than the first one did. In non-mechanics, the art is better and the setting has made some minor changes in the Ancient juncture and some major ones in the Future.

I'd call it the original but better, but I know people disagree with that, especially in terms of setting.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

thelazyblank posted:

Archetypes are more balanced and those that have lower stats tend to have something to make them unique and fun, less stats, less archetype customization in favor of pick-up-and-go archetypes (chargen literally is Pick Name, Pick Archetype, Pick Melodramatic Hook), simpler level up system and overall show a better understanding of the math of a d6-d6 system than the first one did. In non-mechanics, the art is better and the setting has made some minor changes in the Ancient juncture and some major ones in the Future.

I'd call it the original but better, but I know people disagree with that, especially in terms of setting.

To elaborate on the settings changes, the big one is the future went from a 1984/Matrix dystopia to a Mad Max with mutant Apes scenario. You could fairly easily swap it back, if you wanted to, but I've found the Apes to be some of my favorite parts of the whole thing (Furious George and Battlechimp Potemkin will never not make me laugh).

Mechanically, it's better than FS1 it's basically every way. We picked it up for a short interstitial campaign and it quickly became my favorite I've done with this group (out of like 8 different ones over 6 years). For $10, you can't go wrong.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Evil Hat's been running a Monster of the Week promo on DTRPG all day and for the next 16 or so hours:

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/143518/Monster-of-the-Week?affiliate_id=24139

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some free deals from Modiphius

Hi DriveThru-ers

We've just uploaded some of our new releases as free PDF downloads, including rules for Thunderbirds Co-operative Board Game, Airfix Battles, as well as the Quick-start guide to Mutant Year Zero!

Mutant Year Zero - Starter Booklet

She had wondered too far into the Zone. Tula had walked through the dark forest, followed the old rail tracks between crumbling ruins and rusting train wrecks, towards the glimmering silver disks by the horizon. She wanted to reach them so bad. Become a hero of the Ark. A famous stalker. Now, she would be a dead stalker. If the thirst didn't kill her, zone ghouls or the rot would. That's when she saw them. Scattered across the ground like metallic rag dolls. Machine beings. Dead for decades.Tula had heard stories of them. What had happened here? Suddenly she heard a noise. Growls. Voices. Tula drew her scrap pistol and got ready to fight for her life.

This booklet is an introduction to Mutant: Year Zero, the award-winning RPG by Free League Publishing and Modiphius Entertainment. Mutant: Year Zero takes you to a world after the great apocalypse, inhabited by mutants, robots and mutant animals. Using this booklet alone, you can get a taste of the game, including:

Create a unique character in minutes: play an Enforcer, Gearhead, Fixer of Stalker
Push your character's skills to the limits, unleashing unstoppable mutant powers in the process
Fight fast and furious battles, making every bullet count and using a detailed list of gruesome injuries
Experience three exciting zone sectors, giving you the perfect introduction to the Mutant: Year Zero universe

Free starter: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188014/MUTANT-Year-Zero--Starter-Booklet

Thunderbirds Co-operative Board Game

In the Thunderbirds Co-operative Board Game, 1-4 players act together as the International Rescue team against the Hood, represented by the game’s mechanics. To win the game you take command of the iconic Thunderbird machines and play together to avert deadly disasters in the nick of time and thwart The Hood’s plans for world domination.

Free rules: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188106/Thunderbirds-Cooperative-Board-Game

Airfix Battles: The Introductory Game

A fast and fun introductory wargame playable with all your Airfix figures and vehicles. Airfix Battles comes with everything you need to play exciting World War Two battles straight out of the box including die cut cardboard counters for tanks, infantry and guns in case you don't have any figures to hand. Airfix Battles is on sale from the Modiphius store and all good local gaming stores! Get a taste for it with these rules.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188023/Airfix-Battles-The-Introductory-Wargame

Free Scenarios: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188029/Airfix-Battles-Scenarios

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

foutre posted:

Apologies in advance if there was a better place to post this, please let me know if I should post/cross-post this somewhere else. I've been volunteering for an organization that sends books to prisoners. Some of the most requested books are RPGs -- especially D&D and Pathfinder. Unfortunately, we get those very rarely and most of the books are too heavy for us to afford to send or would require a one or two other core books to play. On top of that, in some states' prisons (i.e., Wisconsin) Dungeons and Dragons is specifically banned anyway. So, I'm trying to find something I can send them instead.

For an RPG to work for this, it has to be:
-- available for free
-- short -- a.k.a. inexpensive to print out

And ideally would also:
-- be flexible/self-contained
-- not require dice (i.e., use rock-paper-scissors or whatnot)
-- not have explicit references to gambling/violence (that a prison official giving the book a once-over would notice). Obviously this one's pretty subjective, and it's really hard to tell what'll get censored/rejected anyway, but generally text-heavy is better.

From looking through the links in the OP and googling around, GURPS lite looks promising, and flexible enough to work well for a lot of different campaigns. 16 double-sided sheets of paper is pretty doable to print as well. The fact that it only requires d6 is pretty good, but there are definitely some prisons where people can't have any dice.

Risus is definitely a good size (4 pages) and doesn't require dice, but might be a bit too basic to stand in as a replacement for D&D etc.

Are there any other systems that y'all would recommend that might be better (i.e., fewer pages to print, no dice required or just generally good)?

Savage Worlds: Explorer Edition is tiny, self-contained and talks about adventure a lot. Only problem is that it needs the full set of polyhedral dice - but only one of each. Fiasco is equally small and only needs d6s, and has a friendly-sounding concept (write a movie together)

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

foutre posted:

Apologies in advance if there was a better place to post this, please let me know if I should post/cross-post this somewhere else. I've been volunteering for an organization that sends books to prisoners. Some of the most requested books are RPGs -- especially D&D and Pathfinder. Unfortunately, we get those very rarely and most of the books are too heavy for us to afford to send or would require a one or two other core books to play. On top of that, in some states' prisons (i.e., Wisconsin) Dungeons and Dragons is specifically banned anyway. So, I'm trying to find something I can send them instead.

For an RPG to work for this, it has to be:
-- available for free
-- short -- a.k.a. inexpensive to print out

And ideally would also:
-- be flexible/self-contained
-- not require dice (i.e., use rock-paper-scissors or whatnot)
-- not have explicit references to gambling/violence (that a prison official giving the book a once-over would notice). Obviously this one's pretty subjective, and it's really hard to tell what'll get censored/rejected anyway, but generally text-heavy is better.

From looking through the links in the OP and googling around, GURPS lite looks promising, and flexible enough to work well for a lot of different campaigns. 16 double-sided sheets of paper is pretty doable to print as well. The fact that it only requires d6 is pretty good, but there are definitely some prisons where people can't have any dice.

Risus is definitely a good size (4 pages) and doesn't require dice, but might be a bit too basic to stand in as a replacement for D&D etc.

Are there any other systems that y'all would recommend that might be better (i.e., fewer pages to print, no dice required or just generally good)?

It's not free, but Golden Sky Stories is diceless and literally the least objectionable game ever, since it's about magical animals helping people with simple problems, and the actual system is really simple.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Helical Nightmares posted:

Some free deals from Modiphius

Hi DriveThru-ers

We've just uploaded some of our new releases as free PDF downloads, including rules for Thunderbirds Co-operative Board Game, Airfix Battles, as well as the Quick-start guide to Mutant Year Zero!

Mutant Year Zero - Starter Booklet

She had wondered too far into the Zone. Tula had walked through the dark forest, followed the old rail tracks between crumbling ruins and rusting train wrecks, towards the glimmering silver disks by the horizon. She wanted to reach them so bad. Become a hero of the Ark. A famous stalker. Now, she would be a dead stalker. If the thirst didn't kill her, zone ghouls or the rot would. That's when she saw them. Scattered across the ground like metallic rag dolls. Machine beings. Dead for decades.Tula had heard stories of them. What had happened here? Suddenly she heard a noise. Growls. Voices. Tula drew her scrap pistol and got ready to fight for her life.

This booklet is an introduction to Mutant: Year Zero, the award-winning RPG by Free League Publishing and Modiphius Entertainment. Mutant: Year Zero takes you to a world after the great apocalypse, inhabited by mutants, robots and mutant animals. Using this booklet alone, you can get a taste of the game, including:

Create a unique character in minutes: play an Enforcer, Gearhead, Fixer of Stalker
Push your character's skills to the limits, unleashing unstoppable mutant powers in the process
Fight fast and furious battles, making every bullet count and using a detailed list of gruesome injuries
Experience three exciting zone sectors, giving you the perfect introduction to the Mutant: Year Zero universe

Free starter: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188014/MUTANT-Year-Zero--Starter-Booklet

Thunderbirds Co-operative Board Game

In the Thunderbirds Co-operative Board Game, 1-4 players act together as the International Rescue team against the Hood, represented by the game’s mechanics. To win the game you take command of the iconic Thunderbird machines and play together to avert deadly disasters in the nick of time and thwart The Hood’s plans for world domination.

Free rules: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188106/Thunderbirds-Cooperative-Board-Game

Airfix Battles: The Introductory Game

A fast and fun introductory wargame playable with all your Airfix figures and vehicles. Airfix Battles comes with everything you need to play exciting World War Two battles straight out of the box including die cut cardboard counters for tanks, infantry and guns in case you don't have any figures to hand. Airfix Battles is on sale from the Modiphius store and all good local gaming stores! Get a taste for it with these rules.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188023/Airfix-Battles-The-Introductory-Wargame

Free Scenarios: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188029/Airfix-Battles-Scenarios

Modiphus is also working on a Barsoom RPG now and just got the license for Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The GM screen is also on sale, and it features a bunch of set-piece fight ideas that can be adapted easily for any modern or sci-fi game.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
A Lamentations of the Flame Princess Bundle of Holding is on sale for $12/$24.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Which is still about $100 more than it could ever be worth.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Scenic Dunnsmouth is a great village kit. Cheaper to buy it at $10 though. If it was in the first tier, the tier would be worth it.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/127039/Scenic-Dunnsmouth

Edit: World of the Lost any good? Advertises as a 180 page hex crawl encounter.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 19, 2016

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

inklesspen posted:

Which is still about $100 more than it could ever be worth.

Care to elaborate? I'm not familiar enough (or at all, frankly) with core LotFP to have Strong Opinions on it, is Raggi as bad as Pundit or Zak S? (the latter, as I am aware, did some things for LotFP too, but neither Red and Pleasant Land or Doom Frost Whatever seem to be included in the bundle)

edit: ...uh, nevermind, I almost forgot the anniversary of that Tournament of Rapists thing. How time flies.
I still am curious about LotFP, though.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 19, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Vornheim is also by Zak.

Anyway, LOTFP is "2edgy4you" as an old school rpg. Tits, man, and killer zombie plant monsters, and oh yeah the walls are bleeding blood, are you freaking out? If you want a fun OSR, play Dark Dungeons. If you want a fun game focusing on how hard it is to dungeoncrawl, play Torchbearer. Neither one is so pretentiously juvenile as LOTFP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
James Raggi is someone who, during the height of the Chris Fields/Tournament dust-up, tried to position his own web store as an alternative for discerning RPGers who don't want to deal with censoring, social justice ways of DriveThruRPG and did the TRPG equivalent of advertising for more guns after a mass shooting when he said that you might want to buy more of his books soon before DTRPG takes them down because Lamentations of the Flame Princess is just way too provocative!

Lamentations of the Flame Princess itself is actually just Basic/Expert D&D with a coat of "gothic horror" paint - the only significant mechanical change is that Magic-User hit tables never improve, and Thief skills are based on a d6 system.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wasn't there an encumberance rules change as well?

Mechanically the rules difference from D&D is slight.

Some of the system agnostic supplements are good. Quelong by Ken Hite and Dunsmouth which I referenced earlier. Most of the others feel like adventures that have less detail than an old Dungeon magazine submission.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 19, 2016

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

inklesspen posted:

If you want a fun OSR, play Dark Dungeons. If you want a fun game focusing on how hard it is to dungeoncrawl, play Torchbearer. Neither one is so pretentiously juvenile as LOTFP.

I got the retro-clone slot currently occupied by Shadow of the Demon Lord, but your recommendation is still appreciated and accepted =) Turns out I had Torchbearer from some earlier Bundle of Holding sale, and Dark Dungeons is PWYW, so I'll have a look at both.

Funny thing is, last year some of my players bought me a PDF of Lusus Naturae (a monster book for LotFP) as a birthday present, and got from me their expected reaction of a perplexed chuckle.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure LotFP is also missing content-generating stuff like random encounters and reaction rolls, which I've understood are a fairly important part of actually making a game of Old Dungeons tick.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be the least bit fair and say that LOTFP does have Reaction and Morale rolls (as exact restatements of how they worked in BD&D, but we already expected that).

What LOTFP does lack is random encounters because it adopts that thing where "we're not going to give you an 'encounter building system' because OSR has no assumptions of fairness"

Dungeon Crawl Classics also says that, and then LOTFP takes it a step farther by not actually having a bestiary either. It's just a table of monster hit dice, and what their assumed stats should be for every hit dice level, because LOTFP also says "we're not going to give you a goblin because you shouldn't describe it as a goblin - instead you say it's a short, squat, smelly green humanoid with yellowed teeth for fangs and a rusted spear. Describing it instead of saying what it is with a single word is supposed to make it more spoopy"

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ha, well that's what I get for not getting up and checking my copy. :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

FFG put the L5R rpg on sale:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/21/enter-the-emerald-empire/

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Shameless Self-Promotion Go!

All of my products are 25% off for the Christmas in July sale. If you're fond of Pathfinder, OSR games, 13th Age, and/or 5th Edition, then I should have something for you in my catalog.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Libertad! posted:

All of my products are 25% off for the Christmas in July sale. If you're fond of Pathfinder, OSR games, 13th Age, and/or 5th Edition, then I should have something for you in my catalog.

:toot:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm only familiar with 4e. Any particularly good products from older editions? Since Unexpected Allies got a sequel, I assume that's one of them. Also City of Lies rings a bell and it's by Greg Stolze anyway.

Libertad! posted:

Do you have a favorite?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to shill for promote Libertad!'s Old School Monster classes as one of my favorite OSR supplements, and Nice Things for Fighters as an actual Fighter supplement that isn't hobbled by PF designers being such stick-in-the-muds.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'll shamlessly self-promote as well.

My titles are also 25% off for the Christmas in July sale.

Dungeon Bastards: A rules-lite, beer-and-pretzel roleplaying game about being drunk and disorderly adventurers.

Chambara: A Duel of Souls: A rules-lite Samurai game meant to emulate Chambara films like the works of Akira Kurosawa.

Save The Date! A romcom party game.

The Samurai A 13th Age Roleplaying Game: A 13th Age Roleplaying 3rd Party class that is meant for mounted combat.

The Monk: A Dungeon World Playbook that adds the missing martial arts elements to your Dungeon World adventure.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Well, if we're doing it... All my self-published stuff is 25% off as well, except for the stuff that's already pay-what-you-want.

Æternal Legends, the game of magically-empowered modern fantasy heroes.

Æternal Legends in a bundle with Touched by Darkness, the supplement for adding werewolves, vampires, and similar stuff in place of (or as well as) the default elves, trolls, and so on.

BLACK SEVEN, modern espionage action in a tightly-focused RPG. Think Deus Ex, Alpha Complex, and similar video games in RPG form.

ANIMUS, an alt-history supplement for BLACK SEVEN set among the warring city-states of what is now Italy, including systems for sending modern agents back into memories of their past lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Well going off your stuff from before I bought one of every Pathfinder book, save the Abstract Thief. I will try to leave reviews soon.

Though unfortunately for some reason Paypal was a right pain in the Santorum to use while try to check out from drivethru. For some reason it would take my password just fine the first time around, but then after selecting my payment type it would say that the two minute old session had timed out and refuse the exact same password. Seems to be working just fine on other sites though. Regardless I was still able to make the purchase through other means.