Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah I've been getting things like solar flares and heat wave/cold wave as well, so I guess it wasn't happening 100% of the time :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Playing as tribals is pretty interesting, especially if you don't reroll your 5 dudes and dudettes. Lucked out and got an otherwise useless 17 year old hacker ( don't ask me how a tribal became a hacker ) who got me up to medieval techs pretty easily. Captured raider firearms from early raids are beyond precious though, you really need to be on top of your defenses when you can't rely on turrets. It's a good excuse to focus on animal husbandry and attack dogs at least.

Speaking of, was animal training always this hard? I managed to tame a single turkey about half a year in and none of my animals learned even basic obedience from my 11 skill animal handler.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I've been getting things like solar flares and heat wave/cold wave as well, so I guess it wasn't happening 100% of the time :shrug:

The blog said some never happened and some only in weird situations. If I'm reading right the patch comes out tomorrow, out right now if you have beta turned on

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Heat Wave seems to be pretty much an inevitable death sentence for tribal groups :confused:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I have a zone set for food but my colonists just leave their simple meals on the ground outside, any way I can make them put it in the drat fridge?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Elderbean posted:

I have a zone set for food but my colonists just leave their simple meals on the ground outside, any way I can make them put it in the drat fridge?

Did you raise the priority of the food zone?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alaan posted:

Did you raise the priority of the food zone?

Or accidentally leave the freezer out of the allowed areas/drag the stockpile zone outside of the walls

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well, I wasn't expecting the thing that destroyed my totally established, highly defended, super-advanced colony to be a swarm of angry beavers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gilok posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting the thing that destroyed my totally established, highly defended, super-advanced colony to be a swarm of angry beavers.

Hell hath no fury

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also, can you set chopping wood in the manual tasks? I don't see it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Should I just unsubscribe from future product updates as I am going to rely on Steam from now on for updates?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

3 of my 4 colonists won't do dumb labor, will that be difficult in the long run?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elderbean posted:

3 of my 4 colonists won't do dumb labor, will that be difficult in the long run?

Unless your next two colonists have it, yes.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Elderbean posted:

Use them as the front line troops when you get raided next time.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You don't do dumb labour? You don't join the colony.

You're abrasive? You don't join the colony.

You're a neurotic fruit loop who literally goes into a violent blind rage at the drop of a hat? You don't join the colony.

There is the event where someone radios you for help and you can accept them (and fight off their pursuers) or let them die. I've found I can accept, they appear on the map as mine and I can look at their character sheet and see if their lazy shitheads that think cleaning is below them.. if so I can just order that new colonist to turn right around and run into the arms of the pirates chasing them. The pirates then kidnap 'your' colonist and take them away, which is fine because gently caress that guy that wouldn't give us a hand moving all this poo poo anyway.

For the newbies and new Steam purchasers, you really need a doctor and a chef. The Chef only needs to be level 6 (so he can make fine meals), or any level but with some passion because they're going to be doing it so much they'll level quickly unless they hate cooking and don't want to be there. If they ever watched 10 mins of a Gordon Ramsay show (a single flame) then they'll be 20 in no time.

Your Doc, however, is critical. A good doc can treat people with no medicine and get good results. Early when your colonist are each critical to your success, being able to patch them up is everything. There will be mad animals and stuff, as long as you stomp them and get your all colonists doing it together you'll be fine.. IF your people don't all die from infections after the fight. Higher the number here better, but again passion is important or they'll never level.

As for the no Joy thing, it's mods loving with the game. I was using 'Don't Morn' or something, it was supposed to be a simple mod that removed the grave visiting from the Joy activities. Instead it royally hosed the Joy system and broke it completely. I removed that mod and have started a new game (with Hospitality installed) and everything is fine, so I reckon it's that mod. Don't use it!

I had a really great colony going when I noticed and had to restart otherwise I had no joy :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Also, can you set chopping wood in the manual tasks? I don't see it.

"cut plants"

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
For some reasons my hops arent being put in the storage zone inside. I looked through the filters but did not see them under anything, did I miss it or did they get left out or something? Playing on the beta steam build to get more events back so that may be a factor.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elderbean posted:

dumb labor is super critical. part of being good at colony management is not creating too many tasks for your colonists all at once, for example "haul all the stones in this whole giant parcel of land" will eat up a ton of time. you want to minimize how far people have to haul things as well as the number of things they have to haul at all times because hauling stuff around is like half of all the work people do in camp at first

there are a few things that make me reroll a colonist: frail, dementia, abrasive, and no dumb labor. i'd rather have a pacifist artist who's scared of fire than someone who won't haul stuff

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Elth posted:

Playing as tribals is pretty interesting, especially if you don't reroll your 5 dudes and dudettes. Lucked out and got an otherwise useless 17 year old hacker ( don't ask me how a tribal became a hacker ) who got me up to medieval techs pretty easily. Captured raider firearms from early raids are beyond precious though, you really need to be on top of your defenses when you can't rely on turrets. It's a good excuse to focus on animal husbandry and attack dogs at least.

Speaking of, was animal training always this hard? I managed to tame a single turkey about half a year in and none of my animals learned even basic obedience from my 11 skill animal handler.

So far my strategy for defending against high-tech pirate raids as tribals has been to have everyone hide in a specially-made hiding room off to the side, wait for the pirates to scatter and start burning down random bits of my village, then all swarm out and overwhelm them one at a time.

I gave up on using ranged weapons, the guys with guns will pretty much always win against the guys with bows in a one-on-one fight. I just had my master crafter smith the huge vein of plasteel I found into some high-quality plasteel swords and just have everybody charge en masse and stab people to death.

Flesh Forge posted:

Heat Wave seems to be pretty much an inevitable death sentence for tribal groups :confused:

Pretty much, unless everybody has Heat Tolerant or you've managed to get your hands on some desert clothing like dusters and cowboy hats (which should be your number 1 priority as tribals in hot environments).

This applies to NPC tribals just as much, I've been attacked by huge tribal mobs during heat waves in the jungle and had the entire attacking force die of heat stroke before ever engaging my colonists.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Gilok posted:

angry boars

those poor passersby

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

The wiki is very lacking for getting new players started. So I stumbled on CohhCarnage's beginner tutorial videos on Youtube.

It's just a vod of a streamer playing the game for 2 hours and explaining everything he does; was very helpful for me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tony Montana posted:

You're a neurotic fruit loop who literally goes into a violent blind rage at the drop of a hat? You don't join the colony.

Unless that neurotic happens to be iron willed and industrious :getin:

Like +80% global work speed

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Pretty much, unless everybody has Heat Tolerant or you've managed to get your hands on some desert clothing like dusters and cowboy hats (which should be your number 1 priority as tribals in hot environments).

This applies to NPC tribals just as much, I've been attacked by huge tribal mobs during heat waves in the jungle and had the entire attacking force die of heat stroke before ever engaging my colonists.

It turns out cold snap is just as bad, because ... tribals can't make parkas :confused: apparently priority 1 research should always be Complex Clothing, which seems a bit dumb.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Cold snaps are survivable as a tribe as long as you carefully manage how much time people spend outside. You've got a bit of a grace period before people start succumbing to hypothermia, and if you make sure to cycle them into an enclosed space with a campfire on a regular basis it's totally possible to power through it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My prisoners just sat in their cell and refused to eat until they starved to death, despite being surrounded by plenty of food. They even had a dining table. Is this a bug or did my prisoners just decide to go on hunger strike?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did they have jaw injuries that prevented them from eating?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've had that happen before too in this alpha, prisoners just ignore food and starve, I dunno what's up with that.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

It turns out cold snap is just as bad, because ... tribals can't make parkas :confused: apparently priority 1 research should always be Complex Clothing, which seems a bit dumb.

I think tribal starts need some work in terms of clothing you can make. Invading tribals need to start wearing heat/cold resistant clothing too, it's kind of silly. They're uneducated, not stupid. They can work out how to put together some furs for the cold or nice desert robes to keep off the heat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the game gets it backwards, the high-tech dudes who worked in offices all their lives can survive really well in all biomes because they're all McGyver, but the tribal guys who come from generations of living off the land basically can't survive anywhere but temperate forests :confused:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Okay this is a new one. The leader of one of the pirate factions showed up in a raid, so I captured him, and he joined up almost immediately. Out of curiosity I had him contact the pirate faction he leads... causing him to dial up the pirates, apparently swear at himself a bunch, then hang up.
Nice to know I can do bizarre prank calls, at least?

As an added bonus one of the pirate gangs in this world is called "Thrusting Outfit".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Always remember: Cowboy hats save lives.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mister Bates posted:

My prisoners just sat in their cell and refused to eat until they starved to death, despite being surrounded by plenty of food. They even had a dining table. Is this a bug or did my prisoners just decide to go on hunger strike?

Are you using the CCL? The initial version for this release had that as a bug.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

I had that problem too, but as the prisoner passes out at extreme starvation I just had the doctor lug them into bed and stuff a dinner down their unconscious craw.

Slime posted:

I think tribal starts need some work in terms of clothing you can make. Invading tribals need to start wearing heat/cold resistant clothing too, it's kind of silly. They're uneducated, not stupid. They can work out how to put together some furs for the cold or nice desert robes to keep off the heat.

Seriously tribalwear should give you +20 cold resist and +10 heat resist. It may be primitive but it should be adaptable to the environment.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Remb posted:

The wiki is very lacking for getting new players started. So I stumbled on CohhCarnage's beginner tutorial videos on Youtube.

It's just a vod of a streamer playing the game for 2 hours and explaining everything he does; was very helpful for me.

He must of had twitch notifications off otherwise it would have been a vod of a streamer sucking the dick of a resub/donation every 30 seconds for 2 hours.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
So 4 out of my 6 colonists are weak and break all the time, had some interesting happenings:

The doctor who couldnt be asked to walk to the table to eat so she broke after eating alone in the fridge, again, and went berserk. She is a brawler as well and had her knife on her, she wounded 2 before she got knocked out with a mace to the head. New rule, Doc is not allowed to carry weapons.

Top sniper, all around stable Hunter and husband to the doctor had his pet die in a recent raid. This heartbreak spun him into a psychosis so he wandered around taking all his gear off and not eating. Unsure of what to do as he was starving, and I couldn't knock him out like a berserk break, I thought I would arrest him and feed him. Turns out he didnt appreciate that and I have to recruit him back and I dont think the doctor and him are married any more.

My artist was upset about the heat wave and went berserk, seeing no fellow colonists around he took it out on the nearest targets he could find which was a herd of boars. He punched 7 of them to death before moving on to a turkey that knocked his rear end out. Thankfully this happened before the grizzly bear came wandering through the colony otherwise he might have tried to fight it.

Loving the changes, haven't even messed with raising animals yet gonna look into that today.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 19, 2016

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I just lost a colony due to boomrat manhunters swarming my wooden village after getting really messed up fending off pirate raids. 4 out of 5 of my tribals were in the hospital, my doctor was hiding, and visitors showed up and started shooting the boomrats.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
This game is a lot of fun. I managed to nuke my entire goddamn village when some boomalopes were plodding along nearby, something killed one, and a whole herd went up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I haven't played this in a while, but I redeemed my Steam key and started again last night.

For some reason, a wooden stonecutting table won't take bills. I click the button and it makes the 'nuhuh' noise. It's in an external shack with heat and light next to a dumping stockpile. Am I missing something?

Also, am I better storing raw foodstuffs or prepared meals? Meals don't seem to stack as much as foodstuffs.

in my current game, I have a married couple where the wife got accidentally shot by the third colonist, female, and this has created a negative social spiral that ended up in a punch-up. I've moved their bedrooms further from each other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

I just lost a colony due to boomrat manhunters swarming my wooden village after getting really messed up fending off pirate raids. 4 out of 5 of my tribals were in the hospital, my doctor was hiding, and visitors showed up and started shooting the boomrats.

First rule of building in a forest: Always put concrete firebreaks around your base.

If your base is made of wood, well, erm, make sure you make concrete paths between buildings I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

In an interior, dry place, raw veggies seem to last about a season and a half. Berries 2-3 weeks, cooked meals last about 3-4 days. Raw meat is about 2 days. Pemmican is just over a year. Alcohol is forever. This is from my tribal playing. It takes 20 pemmican to make a meal, but its the best way to preserve meat and vegies long term until you get power. Its horribly space inefficient though. 2 stacks of pemmican is 7 meals vs one stack of cooked food being 10 meals. Have standing orders for colony population +1 of fine meals, and order a hunt every day or two of a deer or other good sized critter. Then have standing orders for pemmican until you have like 900 if you are worried of storing food. With power and refrigeration, raw food is 2 stacks for 150 units vs cooked 2 stacks for 200 units. 10 meal stack with 10 ingredients is 100 raw food units. Or you could just make bigger storage spaces.

OwlFancier posted:

First rule of building in a forest: Always put concrete firebreaks around your base.

If your base is made of wood, well, erm, make sure you make concrete paths between buildings I guess?

The boomrats were at the doors to the hospital when the visitors shot them, so the wooden walls caught on fire from direct contact. I had built all my storage buildings and walkways out of stone :v: