Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

If you were wondering how to pronounce "Varangian..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvCFW6SfIQ

(Update 25 at the bottom of the last page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
While pyromancy does scale on intelligence and faith, they're generally perfectly usable without any investment in those stats. Pyromancy base damage is insane, is what I'm saying.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pyromancy still requires no levels to actually cast the spells. It's just that in DS2 all the damage elements get additional scaling from some function of your intelligence and faith, which you see on your character sheet.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"Examine" is not "Use/Activate", From! :mad:

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and they do it a lot in DS2; when faced with a mysterious device, I want to examine it to get some idea of what it does before I mess with it. Fortunately, the prompt says "Examine" - great! Oh wait my character's just jumping right in and poking the thing now there's a cutscene what's happening :gonk:

Ah, the Greatsword though. That was my weapon of choice when I played this game - even if it did take ages to get my stats high enough to not fat-roll with it. However I do wish they hadn't changed the greatsword animations compared to DS1.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

inthesto posted:

While pyromancy does scale on intelligence and faith, they're generally perfectly usable without any investment in those stats. Pyromancy base damage is insane, is what I'm saying.

From what I understand, the scaling bonus is flimsy if not practically non-existant. Geop can throw powerful fireballs all day every day if he pumps up his flame.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

IronSaber posted:

From what I understand, the scaling bonus is flimsy if not practically non-existant. Geop can throw powerful fireballs all day every day if he pumps up his flame.

The scaling is more to benefit other sources of the damage types but you know what happens when a lot of small numbers add up over a very long time...

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Danaru posted:

"A note about Pyromancy in this game, is that it actually does scale off Intelligence"
"Ahhhhhhh poo poo."

This was my response when I found out too. My character is a loving moron :(

It actually scales off Intelligence AND Faith. I made a post to the effect earlier on; Fire damage is affected by adding up the Faith and Intelligence bonuses, while Dark (hexes) also uses both but scales off of whichever one is lowest. Pyromancy does retain the attribute of not needing any stats to use any of the actual spells, however, so it is still useful regardless. Pyromancy is alive and well.

Also hey, the Lost Bastille. gently caress this area. With a Great Club. It was bad in the base game, and it's even worse in SOTFS. (Un?)fortunately we haven't quite seen why but yeah, I did not appreciate the additions. Like, at all.

That Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +1 from Melentia is pretty great, also. Just having it on most of the time is a good idea since it'll let you get souls significantly faster for leveling and buying cool poo poo. I mean there's Soul Memory fuckery as well but oh well.

Also also, I'm pretty sure the Drangleic armour, while heavy, is statistically far better than anything you can find for quite some time. It kinda weirds me out but I guess it being heavy was the attempt at balancing it statistically in the early game. I'm not sure it really succeeded. Also hey, you pulled out the Greatsword! It's pretty loving silly. I wasn't a fan of it at first but then I kinda bought in to the "rule of cool" factor. Though I'm generally not a huge fan of overly large buster sword things.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you were wondering how to pronounce "Varangian..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvCFW6SfIQ

(Update 25 at the bottom of the last page)

This is pretty nice to know actually. I was pronouncing it with a hard "g" this whole time. Pretty cool little tune, too. Thank you!

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 20, 2016

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

GEOP YOU PLAYED UO TOO???
SLAMS OPEN A NEARBY DOOR

YOU BETCHA. FREQUENTLY. SINCE 1997.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There's more backstory on the Flexile Sentry if you attempt to trade its boss soul for gear.

Your Fire Bonus (which in turn feeds the pyromancy glove) scales with the average of your Intelligence and Faith, but you never need too much investment to make it pretty good and levels are plentiful in DS2 besides. In addition, the glove natively has a significant amount of flat damage bonus which goes all the way up to 250 at +10. Effectively, pyromancy is always useful; having good Int+Faith just makes it even more useful.

I'm a fan of ultra greatswords in this game, considering that unlike DS1 they've actually got a realistic amount of speed to them. (The weight still isn't realistic, but that's medieval fantasy for you. :shrug:) The vertical two-handed moveset that's on most can sometimes not be what you're looking for, but by the same token most have a sweeping horizontal moveset in one-handed mode.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The physics on that cape are awkward.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Geop posted:

SLAMS OPEN A NEARBY DOOR

Man, I started playing when I was a teenager and played for like ten years. I miss the hell out of that game.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Geop posted:

SLAMS OPEN A NEARBY DOOR

I still insist that only redeeming factor about Ultima 9 was that it came with a UO CD and a free month which introduced me to the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So did you figure out why lights were important in the pirate bay? You dont rest at a bonfire to light your torch either, you just go up to it and switch to the light torch action.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

Man, I started playing when I was a teenager and played for like ten years. I miss the hell out of that game.
Look up UOForever =] huge, wonderful freeshard with pre-tram/fel stuff. Lots of other implements, too!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Your pyromancy catalyst strength can be upgraded like in DS1, but now it requires a special upgrade material to gate progress and prevent early maxed-out flames. IIRC, the benefit from maxing your Fire ATK at a total of 60 in both stats is ~50%. Good, but not necessary to make effective use of the spells if you don't want to invest in the stats.

DS3 kinda wrenched pyromancy out of its role as the universal spellcasting school by adding stat requirements to spells (one of which is utterly baffling), having upgrading the flame only improve the scaling a bit, and using regular titanite to upgrade the flame which will compete with upgrading your weapons rather than happening in parallel.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I have it on good authority that Geop's UO name was B0N3D00D.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Bastille is weird. It's a pretty big area and SotFS made an effort it slightly less boring (castle. cell. walls. castle. cell. waslls. castle. cell. cell. exit.) that might've backfired slightly.
It doesn't help that you access it from two of the best-looking areas in the game, it's going to end up disappointing pretty much no matter what.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Antistar01 posted:

"Examine" is not "Use/Activate", From! :mad:

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and they do it a lot in DS2; when faced with a mysterious device, I want to examine it to get some idea of what it does before I mess with it. Fortunately, the prompt says "Examine" - great! Oh wait my character's just jumping right in and poking the thing now there's a cutscene what's happening :gonk:

Ah, the Greatsword though. That was my weapon of choice when I played this game - even if it did take ages to get my stats high enough to not fat-roll with it. However I do wish they hadn't changed the greatsword animations compared to DS1.

This is the reason I had to go back to the ship and get the pyromancy flame in my first playthrough. "Oh hey, a strange device - poo poo"

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm actually quite surprised Geop's chosen to allocate his spare weight to donning the drangleic armour, rather than equipping the shield for its 100% physical block stat. On the other hand, that is a pretty sweet cape and we all know that armours with capes are the best armours. Are there breakpoints below 70% that affect roll distance, or is it a sliding scale? I might have to go change some of my own gear in that case.

I think that boss fight with the flexile sums up one of my big gripes about the game, which is that having someone to distract the boss can kind of trivialise the fight. Often there doesn't really seem to be an in-between, either you go it alone and it's really hard or you summon a bro and it's really easy.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The NPC phantoms have absolutely insane HP and defenses, too. God help you if you invade someone carting one around.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Rubberduke posted:

This is the reason I had to go back to the ship and get the pyromancy flame in my first playthrough. "Oh hey, a strange device - poo poo"

Same. Also regarding the flame, I first went to a different area and met the NPC who upgrades the flame. I was really confused because they didn't give me the flame so I thought I had missed something or possibly even hosed things up so that I couldn't even get the flame anymore. Then I found the pirate cove.

That's one thing that's pretty baffling actually. You save the person who upgrades the flame, but unlike in the first game, they don't just give you the flame as thanks, you have to find the flame from some completely different area.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm actually quite surprised Geop's chosen to allocate his spare weight to donning the drangleic armour, rather than equipping the shield for its 100% physical block stat. On the other hand, that is a pretty sweet cape and we all know that armours with capes are the best armours. Are there breakpoints below 70% that affect roll distance, or is it a sliding scale? I might have to go change some of my own gear in that case.
It's a linear scale of equip weight -> roll distance, though reducing the former does also help stamina regeneration.

quote:

I think that boss fight with the flexile sums up one of my big gripes about the game, which is that having someone to distract the boss can kind of trivialise the fight. Often there doesn't really seem to be an in-between, either you go it alone and it's really hard or you summon a bro and it's really easy.
There's only a few fights that I'd categorize as really hard without summons, and one of those only has such a problem on later cycles. But otherwise, yeah, summoning phantoms does often make things easier. It's not for nothing that the community has joked about the process of summoning multiple phantoms by calling it "Police Brutality Simulator".

There is one fight way later on that is incredibly fun if you fill up your summon slots, though.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Not sure why some people hate Lost Bastille, I thought it was one of the better made and more memorable areas in the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

PSWII60 posted:

Not sure why some people hate Lost Bastille, I thought it was one of the better made and more memorable areas in the game.
It owns, I always love exploring it on every playthrough. I do admit that it's not one of the more memorable looking areas at first glance; after the castle ruins of Forest, it is after all just a slightly less ruined and more darker castle. Also, the area it leads to is kind of a shitshow (without looking much different), so that might sour people on everything. Oh, and the optional area is also not to everyone's taste, I guess.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To me it just feels really boring. There's a couple good bits I'll comment on when Geop gets there but it's just really underwhelming; think of how a prison area was done in 3 or even Demon's, and the bastille just comes out bland.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

think of how a prison area was done in 3
Ugh, don't remind me.

The Bastille's pretty good about demonstrating the casual oppression of an ancient prison (hence the name) without being terribly obnoxious to the player.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

Ugh, don't remind me.
Yeah, right, point is it's eerie and creepy as gently caress and has you going "what the hell was going on here?" the whole time through. Ditto the tower in Demon's Souls.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, I'm going to be waiting to his reaction to this area's boss eagerly.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

NGDBSS posted:

without being terribly obnoxious to the player.

I'll put more words into it once more of the area shown but I did not like the Bastille at all. It's aesthetically boring and repetitive and the actual contents not interesting enough to make up for it.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Prison of Hope is the best prison because of the Phantom NPC with one of the greatest and most fitting frustrated warcry I've ever heard in anything.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
UO was like the military - total bullshit that seems cool and good with nostalgia goggles. I sure as hell wouldn't go back to either.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

PSWII60 posted:

There are a few areas now that are very "that's scholar for you!" :zerg:

I, too checked out the device instead of the chest first :saddowns:

Did Geop ever find the other summonable guy in No Man's Wharf? He is a shade instead of a phantom so he doesn't last very long, but you can bring him to the boss or use him to help clean out the long hands dudes. Furthermore, is it fair game to talk about stuff that was missed if Geop has killed the boss to an area and moved on? I'm not talking about stuff like things that a key dropped by a boss opens up that he is probably going back to explore, I mean just stuff like summons or non-gated areas that he didn't check out?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Related to that, I'm curious if the commentators nudge Geop into doing the sidequests with npcs. I think meeting Lucatiel and then summoning her for the boss battle is one such missable step. Basically it all kind of boils down to that; you have to meet npcs in certain locations at certain times and then summon them for certain boss battles and you have to do these things multiple times in various places. The npcs also have to survive the battles if memory serves, and it can be tricky in certain battles despite their massive HP pools. Failing these quests doesn't affect the main plot at all, but it would be nice to see for example Lucatiel to have a happy (in DS terms) ending. She's cool.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I personally thought Lost Bastille was one of the better DS2 areas, though it probably helps that i mostly skip the first part - i usually start at the pursuer shortcut, which is a prettier area with more new enemies.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm actually quite surprised Geop's chosen to allocate his spare weight to donning the drangleic armour, rather than equipping the shield for its 100% physical block stat.

I suspect he forgot he had a better shield lying around - i know I did. Wasn't the issue with his heavier shield that it required more strength than he had, though?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am looking forward to eventually seeing Guts Goonther.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PleasingFungus posted:

I personally thought Lost Bastille was one of the better DS2 areas, though it probably helps that i mostly skip the first part - i usually start at the pursuer shortcut, which is a prettier area with more new enemies.

I suspect he forgot he had a better shield lying around - i know I did. Wasn't the issue with his heavier shield that it required more strength than he had, though?
I'm pretty sure he leveled up strength past the threshold necessary to wield the new shield and then forgot to equip it

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
This was already said like three times but: PYROMANCY IS COOL AND GOOD EVEN WITH 5 INT & 5 FTH. The scaling it gets from stats is negligible compared to how much you get out of upgrading the hand, in terms of invested souls.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Grizlor posted:

There are a few areas now that are very "that's scholar for you!" :zerg:
The rudest parts of Lost Bastille were already like that in the base game.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

I mentioned it earlier in here and in an earlier ep (when I first got it) but 10% additional protection isn't a big deal to me, especially given how blocking seems to largely not be as effective in DS2 =\ I'd have to put in some more strength and account for like 3 more units I think? Just not worth it from what I saw.

Attestant posted:

This was already said like three times but: PYROMANCY IS COOL AND GOOD EVEN WITH 5 INT & 5 FTH. The scaling it gets from stats is negligible compared to how much you get out of upgrading the hand, in terms of invested souls.
Yeah, I figured as much! :v: Given how DS1 worked, upping your main driving stats for a weapon/item would make it stand out more, definitely, but in the end, its quality/upgraded level were the biggest details. More than min-maxing, I'd prefer that Goonther just be *really* flexible in what he can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yes, using pyro is still a very valid option for builds who are otherwise committed but still wanna cast some magic. The scaling is just a bonus for caster builds. Just have enough attunement for 2 slots so you're not locked into one kind of fireball and can use the spells that use two slots at least (Some even use three, I think? It's been a long long while since I played this game)

• Locked thread