Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

greatn posted:

They've been married 18 years, it's his longest marriage, and he's old. She's not going anywhere and if he is going to filander he's going to do it in secret.

Prob with his daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

greatn posted:

They've been married 18 years, it's his longest marriage, and he's old. She's not going anywhere and if he is going to filander he's going to do it in secret.
They've been married 11 years. He was married to Ivana for 15 years, though he was pretty openly trying to get rid of her for a couple of years before that. It's pretty clear he gives no shits about what people think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Radish posted:

Short of Trump saying Obama and Hillary are actually the greatest there is

Doesn't this basically exist? I thought I recalled seeing pretty high praise for Obama and Clinton from Trump before he ran.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't this basically exist? I thought I recalled seeing pretty high praise for Obama and Clinton from Trump before he ran.

He said nice things about Hillary. He was never a fan of Obama.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mcmagic posted:

It's not her fault one of Manifort's evil henchmen can't write a speech without plagiarizing. It really has nothing to do with her and I don't feel the need to attack her for what happened.

She claims she wrote the whole thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

To me owning up to that lie would be much less damaging than owning up to the plagiarism.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is a complete fiasco.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

She said she wrote it herself with "a little help" And that was before the speech. meh.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

vyst posted:

Prob with his daughter
I think you're on to something there.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

We thought the "illegal immigrants killed my son" part of the RNC was the worst. We had to switch channels at one point it got so uncomfortable. These people up there were touting that the only reason their son died was because the drunk guy behind the wheel was an ill eagle alien. No, it had nothing to do with what happens in America literally every day regardless of race or country of origin. Surely yes building that wall will decrease the rates of highway deaths, drug addiction, and alcoholism. This poo poo only triggers me so much because I work at a county hospital in Texas and the vast vast majority of drunks and withdrawers we care for are 30ish year old white people.

And then to follow it up with that black guy (I forget his name) who had to have been roasting himself by saying stuff like "kids would be safer if their parents weren't home." If he was actually taking himself seriously and not roasting himself then I don't even know what reality we are living in anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I remember when the GOP used to wheel out Alan Keyes to try to show that their were a diverse party.. He looks sane compared to the David A Clarke's of the world.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Breitbart is on the case: Yeah, well, Michelle copied parts of that speech from Saul Alinksy!

quote:

Michelle Obama: “…the world as it should be.” In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky. Alinsky wrote, in Rules for Radicals (emphasis added): “The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be.” Michelle Obama said: “And Barack stood up that day, and he spoke words that have stayed with me ever since. He talked about ‘the world as it is‘ and ‘the world as it should be.'” (Perhaps Mr. Obama who left out the attribution.)

The Trump campaign denied it borrowed lines from Michelle Obama, including: “that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond…”.

Senior communications adviser Jason Miller said: “In writing her beautiful speech, Melania’s team of writers took notes on her life’s inspirations, and in some instances included fragments that reflected her own thinking. Melania’s immigrant experience and love for America shone through in her speech, which made it such a success.”

Regardless, Mrs. Trump is in good company. She will spend days being likened to Michelle Obama.

Which was, perhaps, the point.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

:lol: "accused by bloggers"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Apparently Lewandowski said on CNN that Manafort should resign if he signed off on the speech, plagiarism was "inexcusable"

i guess that's fairly meaningless for a fired guy, but it's funny!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

emdash posted:

Apparently Lewandowski said on CNN that Manafort should resign if he signed off on the speech, plagiarism was "inexcusable"

Manafort is a truly evil gently caress. Best not to forget that.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

Well, Manafort was the guy most responsible for getting Corey fired, so it doesn't surprise me that Corey's taking the opportunity to pay him back a little here.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I thought Lewadonski was still getting paid by trump or had a non disparaging agreement in place. I guess that doesn't cover anybody else?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

There are much better targets for nastiness at this convention than she is. I kinda feel bad for her.

Yeah, I feel bad for her too. She mentioned that she had some help on the speech, and between the plagiarism and the rickroll, it seems like one of the other speechwriters must be behind the plagiarism. What's baffling to me is the campaign manager apparently trying to pretend that there's no plagiarism at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

seiferguy posted:

Breitbart is on the case: Yeah, well, Michelle copied parts of that speech from Saul Alinksy!

quote:

Melania’s immigrant experience and love for America shone through

Again, the double-speak on having Melania show up at the RNC and praise being an immigrant to the US as the best thing ever, then turn right around and go back to saying building a wall and keeping out all immigrants is a great idea, is loving incredible.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

DorianGravy posted:

Yeah, I feel bad for her too. She mentioned that she had some help on the speech, and between the plagiarism and the rickroll, it seems like one of the other speechwriters must be behind the plagiarism. What's baffling to me is the campaign manager apparently trying to pretend that there's no plagiarism at all.

Republicans denying clear-evidence fact? I, too, am shocked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DorianGravy posted:

Nah that's just typical GOP response to getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Just deny.

Never happened. Wasn't me.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
This is one amazing gently caress up. You intend to get your party and base together to rally around a candidate, and instead, the morning after, the news is dominated by plagiarism talk.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The norovirus outbreak among the staffers at the RNC has the potential to really up the slap-stick here.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Trabisnikof posted:

The norovirus outbreak among the staffers at the RNC has the potential to really up the slap-stick here.

No way.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Looks like just the Californian advance team thus far: https://www.statnews.com/2016/07/19/norovirus-republican-convention-cleveland/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

The possibility of a figurative shitshow turning into a literal shitshow is pretty great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why don't they just take Zicam? Rush swears by it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SubponticatePoster posted:

The possibility of a figurative shitshow turning into a literal shitshow is pretty great.

I'm just disappointed I can't say everyone there is full of poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That'd be some Drop Dead Gorgeous poo poo right there.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Thaddius the Large posted:

I'm just disappointed I can't say everyone there is full of poo poo.

:golfclap:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I find it more interesting what Melania didn't bother to plagiarize, especially the "even if you don't know them or disagree with them" part. Hmmm, I wonder why that line wasn't included? :iiam:

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
This is all even funnier/sadder when you take into account that Slovenia, its education system and political culture have a real big problem with plagiarism.

Pajser fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 19, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ha CNN.com has a pretty great front page image up:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Again, the double-speak on having Melania show up at the RNC and praise being an immigrant to the US as the best thing ever, then turn right around and go back to saying building a wall and keeping out all immigrants is a great idea, is loving incredible.

I guess it is KIND OF logically consistent that their argument is that documented immigrants are awesome to have in the country but undocumented people aren't?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
So, who's ready to Make America Work Again tonight?

I don't think it will be as crazy as last night, but the speaker list is somehow even weirder than Monday's.

I'm excited to tune in for the General Manager of Trump Winery, the 306th top ranked female golfer in the world, and a 22-year old who is a "fashion model, singer, and influential presence on social media."

quote:

After a tumultuous opening day that saw a delegate insurrection on the convention floor, chants for Democrat Hilary Clinton to be jailed, and speakers accusing President Obama of being a Muslim, the Republican National Convention resumes Tuesday for a “Make America Work Again”-themed day.

Bringing jobs back to the United States has been a central theme of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, and he has brought together an eclectic mix of speakers to address the topic. Among the daytime speakers are Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI), golf pro Natalie Gulbis, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Kerry Woolard, the general manager of Trump Winery. Trump’s 22-year-old daughter ,Tiffany, described on the convention’s site as a “fashion model, singer, and influential presence on social media,” is also slated to address the crowd in Cleveland.

Surprisingly, few of the four headliners scheduled for primetime speaking slots have backgrounds in business. Learn more about them below.

Donald Trump, Jr.

The eldest son of Donald and Ivana Trump, Trump Jr. serves as the Executive Vice President of the Trump Organization, along with his siblings Eric and Ivanka. Trump Jr. followed closely in his father’s footsteps, attending the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School before taking over new property acquisitions and the property portfolio at the Trump Organization. He has also lent a hand with the family’s reality TV ventures, serving as an advisor on “The Apprentice” and as a judge for the Miss Universe Pageant, whose parent company Donald Trump owned until last year. Trump Jr. has been a fixture on the campaign trail, appearing at rallies and speaking to reporters on his father’s behalf.

His comments have not always helped the campaign, however. In February he lamented that he couldn’t “even have an opinion anymore” as the son of a billionaire, and in March he was criticized for granting an interview to a white nationalist radio host. Trump Jr. later said he would not have done the interview if he’d known of the host’s beliefs.

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV)

Capito is a relatively moderate lawmaker with years of experience in West Virginia politics, making her an unusual choice for a GOP convention that has prioritized feeding red meat to the party base.

She served as a representative for the Mountain State from 2001-2014, winning election as the junior senator in 2014. Capito has sponsored over 113 pieces of legislation in Congress, many related to improving Americans’ access to healthcare, and supports legislation fighting campus sexual assault, promoting equal pay and securing abortion rights. Capito has mostly avoided commenting on the 2016 campaign and has yet to throw her weight behind Trump. She said she would support the party’s nominee and urged Trump to stop using “brutal language.”

Ben Carson

The retired neurosurgeon and failed 2016 presidential candidate has emerged as a prominent surrogate for Trump’s campaign. Raised in poverty by a single mother in Detroit, Carson later attended Yale University and became the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins. He parlayed this rags-to-riches tale into a memoir, “Gifted Hands,” and a lucrative career on the conservative Christian speaking circuit. Carson’s eccentric manner and the revelation that key details in his personal history were fabricated ended up sinking his 2016 bid, but he remained in the national spotlight after backing Trump’s run in March.

In the endorsement announcement, Carson said he wished he could have supported a different candidate, and he's maintained a reputation as an unpredictable surrogate ever since. Now an official advisor to the campaign, Carson has called Trump’s Twitter use a “problem,” said Trump questioned his faith during the primary campaign because Trump was “desperate,” and said that even if Trump proves to be a bad president “we’re only looking at four years.”

Kimberlin Brown

A night after “General Hospital” star Antonio Sabàto Jr. took the convention stage, another soap opera star is scheduled to speak. Brown was best known for her roles in ‘90s dramas “The Young and the Restless” and “The Bold and the Beautiful.” She has since made occasional appearances on daytime TV, and launched K. Brown Dramatic Designs, an interior design company featured on the Design Network. According to the convention website, she now runs a small avocado farm in California with her husband. It's unclear if she has any particular ties to the Trumps.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Is Trump Jr going to kill an endangered species live on stage?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
e: nm

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nothing until 5:30pm today? What a waste.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mcmagic posted:

Is Trump Jr going to kill an endangered species live on stage?

The last Rockefeller Republican incinerated LIVE AT THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION HERE IN CLEVELAND OHIO, HOME OF THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is Carson expected to actually make a super enthusiastic Trump speech? Have previous conventions had a speaker trash the candidate or ignore him for a vaguely pro party speech?

• Locked thread