Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you just skip to the "money shot" or the interesting scenes in a movie, most of the time you're missing the context of what makes those scenes so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

If you just skip to the "money shot" or the interesting scenes in a movie, most of the time you're missing the context of what makes those scenes so great.

you have to provide more context if you are going to tell me that skipping straight to the money shot isn't a good idea

:quagmire:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Universal is releasing "Legacy Collection" Blu-Rays for both Frankenstein and The Wolfman. It's odd that there are films that appear in both collections, but Universal isn't well known for thinking too hard about collectors anyway ...

The Frankenstein Legacy Collection:
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula

The Wolf Man Legacy Collection:
The Wolf Man
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
She-Wolf of London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR8yBW0xago

Somebody should make a modern comedy-duo/monster crossover.

Key & Peele Meet Freddy & Jason!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

InfiniteZero posted:

Somebody should make a modern comedy-duo/monster crossover.

Key & Peele Meet Freddy & Jason!

I think 21 Jump Street Vs. Men In Black is the closest we're going to get to this for a while

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Broad City Meets Jigsaw

I'd line up for it, and I'm not really fan of Broad City or Saw.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cougar Town meets Grizzly.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

InfiniteZero posted:

Universal is releasing "Legacy Collection" Blu-Rays for both Frankenstein and The Wolfman. It's odd that there are films that appear in both collections, but Universal isn't well known for thinking too hard about collectors anyway ...

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Ghost of Frankenstein
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula
Why does Universal hate Son of Frankenstein (1939)?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Invitation goes to Peter and Paul from Funny games.

edit: wait is that a comedy duo/monster crossover?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

InfiniteZero posted:

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Ghost of Frankenstein
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula

The Wolf Man Legacy Collection:
The Wolf Man
House of Frankenstein
House of Dracula
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
She-Wolf of London

Guess they're just trying to maximize demographic potential for folks who either just like Wolf Man/Dracula/Frankenstein movies, which is still bonkers. At any rate, these are actually re-packagings of sets they already have on DVD, so hopefully we'll just be able to snatch up this whole kit and kaboodle on Blu-Ray soon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L8QP082?psc=1&smid=A2RQ38FFUL7LO9

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SubG posted:

Why does Universal hate Son of Frankenstein (1939)?

It's on the set, and Werewolf of London is on the Wolf-Man set.

For some reason it's not in the product description, but the images show it clearly on the back of the box.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

K. Waste posted:

It's on the set, and Werewolf of London is on the Wolf-Man set.

For some reason it's not in the product description, but the images show it clearly on the back of the box.
Cool. It was the really glaring omission from the Universal Monsters blu ray box from a couple years ago.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry I didn't realize posting one of the infinite scenarios that could happen in a movie would be considered a spoiler.

Your spoiler of the not ending has ruined it.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
3 segments into Holidays and Jesus Christ, this is pure poo poo

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
TLLP ends with the hipsters coming together to fight the Asian final boss at an Arcade Fire concert.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Stop ruining movies man that's not cool.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

Complaining about hipsters has been oldhat since the 1950s.

It's basically on the same level as being annoyed by sagging pants. That is to say solely the domain of clueless old people and really lame young guys.

Weren't they called mods back then?

Kvlt! posted:

Skipping to the interesting scenes is often the better route in bad movies, especially in genres like horror that almost universally stick to the same tempo, cliches, and final act.

Martial Arts movies also fall into this category, since most people watch them for their fight scenes and not story.

Some movies, like you mentioned, have to be watched the whole way through.

Taxi Driver is a great example of this.

On the flipside, I caught 10 Cloverfield Lane in theaters and was so bored that I almost fell asleep until the last 15 minutes when the aliens finally appear.

The ending would have made a great short film since it was so disconnected from the rest of the movie.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 18, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Almost every single memorable action scene in movie history is better in context. The 1 vs 10 scene from Ip Man is a perfect example.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just saw The Purge: The Warriors Election Year

Well, that was poo poo. Especially the girl gang, the foreign gang, the over the top neo-nazi mercs, and the cartoon final bosses.

It was really bad and I cringed every time the black guy said something in really outdated 90's slang.

10 Cloverfield Lane was awesome though until the aliens show up.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

LesterGroans posted:

Cinema Discusso: As a single guy with very few responsibilities, I do not have this problem

Reminds me of something Roger Ebert wrote in his review of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

Ebert posted:

If you think "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" sounds like a waste of time, don't waste yours. I, as it happens, have time to waste [...]

I think of that quote a lot when I'm watching a mediocre film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is the one and only time in my life where something I said will be compared to Ebert, so I guess I'll take it.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just saw The Purge: The Warriors Election Year

Well, that was poo poo. Especially the girl gang, the foreign gang, the over the top neo-nazi mercs, and the cartoon final bosses.

It was really bad and I cringed every time the black guy said something in really outdated 90's slang.

10 Cloverfield Lane was awesome though until the aliens show up.

Is Election Year better or worse than Anarchy?

Have you ever watched The Tournament?

It's a good deal like the Purge movies IMO.

Here's the trailer for those not in the know (I believe it was released DTV):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQzH98dSSk0

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 18, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ObamaPhone posted:

Is Election Year better or worse than Anarchy?

Way worse. By a drastic margin.

Anarchy was bad and kinda cheesy, but it felt like a real Hollywood movie, with actors and cinematography and script writers.

Election Year felt like a Neil Breen movie or Birdemic. It's so heavy handed and cliche. It's so cheap.

Between the "bad girls" who are hilariously ineffectively scary ("I'm bad. I just killed my parents now I'll kill you, too, you rear end in a top hat jerks. Bitch."), the neo-nazis with magic tracker bullets so they can follow their prey get the story back on track, and the Priest Running For President Who Gets A Sexual Thrill From Killing who delivers the worst rendition of the "yes, kill me, hero, and prove me right!" trope ever committed to film, it is easy to say this is one of the worst movies shown in theaters in a long time.

And I can't stress enough how much of a stereotype the black guy is. He's from the hood and he's done bad things but now he's turned his life around and he took a young guy under his wing to help run his shop but he's still street smart and his best friends are the loving old guys from the barbershop in Coming to America, and drat aww hell naw that's what I'm talking about yo OMG this script is so white it drinks 2% because whole milk is too spicy.

gently caress this movie.

e: oh yeah, and the recycled shots of the terrible CGI helicopter is shameful and Asylum Films levels of awful

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ObamaPhone posted:

Weren't they called mods back then?

Nah mods were the dudes in the 60s who wore fancy suits, rode scooters and got into meth fueled fights with rockers.

Hipsters were originally just 1940s white dudes who listened to jazz and used black slang like "cool" and "groovy" and eventually developed into beatniks which then developed into hippies. Sort of. It was of course far more complicated than that but this is the internet and we're all about massive simplification here.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Thanks, thread, for introducing me to a lotta horror films I watched this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by The Guest, which ended up like a suprisingly tense mash-up of Fear/Drive/that one movie with Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire, in at least three ways:

1) Realizing that the main character was this doofy motherfucker and then giggling every time his Southern drawl slipped.

2) Realizing that Adam Wingard was the director, explaining the weird undercurrent of humor running throughout the film, up until the pitch-perfect ending. ("You did the right thing. I don't blame you. *thumbs up*" and "What the gently caress.")

3) Experiencing the opposite of "cold chills down my spine" when this track dropped during the climax. It was like watching Nicholas Winding Refn eat his own tail.

If you're wondering what that feels like, it's kinda like doing a popper.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just finished Man Bites Dog, and while it's terrifying in all the right ways, with a pair of truly laugh-out-loud moments, it suffers from me seeing it after it inspired a generation of films to ape it, including the (imo superior) Behind the Mask.

It's sort of like seeing Rocky for the first time years after seeing it parodied and recreated in everything else.

It also has that insufferable film-student ending: Can't think of an ending? fade to black, hail of bullets, roll credits

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If any of you are feeling lonely tonight, I have a solution:

https://youtu.be/sT2SvI2Yx6w

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

Election Year felt like a Neil Breen movie or Birdemic. It's so heavy handed and cliche. It's so cheap.
And I can't stress enough how much of a stereotype the black guy is. He's from the hood and he's done bad things but now he's turned his life around and he took a young guy under his wing to help run his shop but he's still street smart and his best friends are the loving old guys from the barbershop in Coming to America, and drat aww hell naw that's what I'm talking about yo OMG this script is so white it drinks 2% because whole milk is too spicy.

Are you sure a lot of that wasn't on purpose? The ridiculous stereotypes got some real laughs out of me, they might has well have changed "Joe" to "Superfly Johnson."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jove posted:

Thanks, thread, for introducing me to a lotta horror films I watched this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by The Guest, which ended up like a suprisingly tense mash-up of Fear/Drive/that one movie with Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire, in at least three ways:

1) Realizing that the main character was this doofy motherfucker and then giggling every time his Southern drawl slipped.

2) Realizing that Adam Wingard was the director, explaining the weird undercurrent of humor running throughout the film, up until the pitch-perfect ending. ("You did the right thing. I don't blame you. *thumbs up*" and "What the gently caress.")

3) Experiencing the opposite of "cold chills down my spine" when this track dropped during the climax. It was like watching Nicholas Winding Refn eat his own tail.

If you're wondering what that feels like, it's kinda like doing a popper.

If you liked The Guest and it sounds odd ,but check out Beyond the Black Rainbow it's got a killer soundtrack and the film is great as well.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Just finished Man Bites Dog, and while it's terrifying in all the right ways, with a pair of truly laugh-out-loud moments, it suffers from me seeing it after it inspired a generation of films to ape it, including the (imo superior) Behind the Mask.

It's sort of like seeing Rocky for the first time years after seeing it parodied and recreated in everything else.

It also has that insufferable film-student ending: Can't think of an ending? fade to black, hail of bullets, roll credits

Watch Angst it's basically a sort of Found Footage ,but not really. It's a darker Henry :Portrait of a Serial Killer

It's not funny. The camera work really fucks with your head.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 19, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

InfiniteZero posted:

If any of you are feeling lonely tonight, I have a solution:

https://youtu.be/sT2SvI2Yx6w

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neumonic posted:

Are you sure a lot of that wasn't on purpose? The ridiculous stereotypes got some real laughs out of me, they might has well have changed "Joe" to "Superfly Johnson."

If Election Year was being tongue in cheek about what a schlocky piece of poo poo it was, then I've been taken for one hell of a ride.

Because I was waiting for the old lady from Airplane! to come in out of nowhere and offer to translate the jive.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
btw, my favorite castration scene is this part in Death Race 2000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-YkaXGtLM&t=844s

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Hollismason posted:

If you liked The Guest and it sounds odd ,but check out Beyond the Black Rainbow it's got a killer soundtrack and the film is great as well.

Yessss, that makes two people who like BTBR! :v: I would say though that the similarities really end at the visuals and killer score part though.

To kinda jump back on the THEY LOOK LIKE PEOPLE IS HIPSTER GARBAGE TRASH BLARGHLE conversation: I think in the past few years quite a few movies like TLLP, The Invitation etc have been promoted as horror movies and appear frequently on horror sites, but aren't strictly horror in the traditional monsters/ghosts/slashers sense of horror. In both cases, I think you could make the case that TLLP is more of a drama with horror elements, while The Invitation is a bit more thriller with a horror vein.

In both cases, I tend to find them scarier than a lot of out and out horror we've gotten in the same time frame- The Conjuring, Sinister, Ouija, Paranormal Activity 157, etc. There's something about these kinda normal-seeming situations with an undercurrent of dread, or otherwise realistic situations where you question whether theres supernatural activity or not, that I find eerie and unsettling. With The Invitation, I figured out early on what the deal was, but that made me more nervous, if anything. I had read a bunch about various cults/doomsday groups before seeing the movie and it's loving terrifying how some of these situations have turned out in real life.

While TLLP did a good job of keeping viewers guessing til the end, I think the ending they went with was in some ways much more disconcerting and sad than had they gone with the other direction, because it's a scenario that could happen.

But yeah. I think one of the reasons this particular thread keeps on going is because there's so many opinions of what posters find scary/not scary, and what subgenres of horror folks love or absolutely can't stand. Personally I don't give a poo poo about slashers/ANOES/Halloween-type films and my eyes glaze over at giallo discussion, and I'm positive there's people who feel the same about various subgenres.

In conclusion, the best castration scene is the one in Piranha 3D. Bonus prize for non-castration mutilation to Antichrist.

grahf987
May 11, 2009

Way worse. By a drastic margin.

Anarchy was bad and kinda cheesy, but it felt like a real Hollywood movie, with actors and cinematography and script writers.

Between the "bad girls" who are hilariously ineffectively scary ("I'm bad. I just killed my parents now I'll kill you, too, you rear end in a top hat jerks. Bitch."), the neo-nazis with magic tracker bullets so they can follow their prey get the story back on track, and the Priest Running For President Who Gets A Sexual Thrill From Killing who delivers the worst rendition of the "yes, kill me, hero, and prove me right!" trope ever committed to film, it is easy to say this is one of the worst movies shown in theaters in a long time.

gently caress this movie.

e: oh yeah, and the recycled shots of the terrible CGI helicopter is shameful and Asylum Films levels of awful

Counter point. Yes Bubba/Bodeaga owner is pretty cliche. Its just an action movie with a pretty good premise that never quite capitalizes. Neil Breen or Birdemic though? If anything its the opposite in that it is so banal that it hits all the beats that you guess them like your a pre-cog. I can at lest throw down a time line and rough map of what went down. If you made it through a few of the earlier Saw movies then your fine.

Hey its all opinion though, but Id probably have to be put in a pretty dire state to compare it to a Breen or Birdemic movie though. No offense Hodor, not everything worth watching is gold, I dont like Rosemary's Baby.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Whispering Machines posted:

Yessss, that makes two people who like BTBR!

Beyond The Black Rainbow was my favorite film of 2012.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I regularly throw on BTBR when editing photos. Along with Enter the Void, Lost River, and Spring Breakers. I have kind of weird comfort films.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Lost River was so good. That's how you make a derivative movie folks!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If you want actual hipster/indie horror then you are going to want to watch Applesauce or Summer of Blood.

They look like People is not a hipster horror film.

Hipster horror films are really easy to spot because they usually have a specific dialogue scene where two characters or more sit around a table and then have a most likely improvised conversation about a film / subject whatever that sounds like a actual conversation / whatever.

It's generally interspersed with realistic conversations and the horror happenings take a back seat to the real problems people are going through.

The horror element is usually perfunctory to what is happening in the film sometimes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 19, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I have complicated feelings on Beyond the Black Rainbow because the only time I've seen it I was extremely hosed up and a doom metal band was playing the soundrack live with the speakers about two feet from my head. I'd guess that's the optimal way to watch it, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a famous example of "hipster horror" so that I can get an idea of what that even is? I've never seen or heard of Applesauce of Summer of Blood.

I refuse to just lump all indie horror into one big "hipster" category. There's nothing hipster about Baskin, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I loved Beyond the Black Rainbow and every so often I check IMDB to see if Panos Cosmatos has something else in the works yet. So far, no. Sad!