Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Doc Morbid posted:

The way I see it, this just means you need to cause bigger explosions. :getin:

The only real slowdowns I've seen in 4.1 are when I'm right up against a walking quadruped fortress which on the one hand, EDF! EDF! EDF!, and on the other hand, EDF! EDF! EDF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

for people using M+KB and are wondering how in the hell to control the menus ingame, especially in the online lobby:

it's wasd+space

it's based off the ingame controls

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

My game refuses to go full screen and a rando managed to join our online game that crashed it for all of us but god drat jetpacking through skyscrapers shot gunning giant spiders is so much fun

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
This is the correct way of Wing Diving. Carry on, valkyrie of the sky!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

HolyKrap posted:

Working pretty well for me. 60 fps, mouse and keyboard support, text chat

Oh my god - it's finally happening - the 60fps EDF game I've always dreamed of

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

We've certainly come a long way from EDF2/GDF in all its 5-10fps glory.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had no idea this was even coming! EDF! EDF! EDF!

Now I can finally show my non-PS4 having friends the true joy of Ant Fight!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The people who said Insect Armageddon was trash compared to mainline games weren't kidding. poo poo goes down hardcore pretty much every mission.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Are the DLC weapons overpowered, or do they just add variety?

Also are there placeable turrets you can get?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I had framerate dip once but it was because there were 3 of us Air Raiders calling in strikes at the same time in a line so it's kinda forgivable.

edit: also man don't bitch you got hit by it when I even used the "watch out for air strikes!" voice thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

How do weapon pickups in multiplayer work? Like if I pick up one does it count for everyone or just me?
Both armor and weapon pickups count for everyone so the sensible thing to do is everyone grab every one you see. You need to be more judicious with health pickups though since if you have full health and pick it up it's wasted for everyone.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Danith posted:

afaik the dlc weapons were mostly pre-order stuff so they're quickly obsolete.

There are turrets they belong to the Air Raider this time, the ranger must do without.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Did they make improvements to the Air Raider or Lancer between 2025 and 4.1?

I liked both classes in theory, but they were overly hard/annoying to use in 2025, and they seemed underpowered compared to the Ranger and Wing Diver. Too many useless gimmick weapons, even in a game full of useless gimmick weapons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

Did they make improvements to the Air Raider or Lancer between 2025 and 4.1?

I liked both classes in theory, but they were overly hard/annoying to use in 2025, and they seemed underpowered compared to the Ranger and Wing Diver. Too many useless gimmick weapons, even in a game full of useless gimmick weapons.
Yes, actually. The Air Raider now has a class of vehicles that work underground, and the Lancer can just walk through fences and stuff. There's probably other things I forgot; it's been a long time since I have played vanilla 4.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

DaveKap posted:

So I did a tiny bit of digging into the EDF files to see how easy modding may be. The game is primarily two large .cpk files, which other games use and apparently DragonBall Xenoverse is packed up this way. Not only that but inside the .cpk is a full directory structure with files that seem to have a simple "CRILAYLA" encryption that was also used in DragonBall Xenoverse and was, apparently, rather easy to decrypt and re-encrypt for modding. I think all we need here is someone with a little more know-how of how modding this sort of stuff works (aka: can someone grab a DB:X modder?) and we may be on our way to editing the everloving poo poo out of this amazing game.
CPK is from Criware Middleware, not uncommon. There are tools to deal with it, though I don't know the 'current best' at the moment.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Danith posted:

They're mid-tier at best. You will find weapons that rapidly outpace the DLC weapons. In my opinion none of the DLC is worth it. Wait for the mission packs.

And of course there are turrets.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I thought 4.1 came with all the mission packs?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How's the MP organized? Just random people?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Brasseye posted:

I thought 4.1 came with all the mission packs?
No, on PS4 they were sold separately. First one came out after a month, second one came out the month after that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively, if you were lucky you picked up the second mission pack for free!

Good times were had for most of those missions. Like being bombarded by NPC airstrikes the entire time. Or fighting a nest that's spawning the DLC versions of ants, spiders as well as the usual wasps.

Shame the last mission of it was a poor rehash of the last main mission, except with a lower Earth Eater height and no NPC support. You don't know this is a rehash until the fourth wave finally spawns the Overmind, which could be a problem because you were outfitted for close-combat. My coop buddy was a Fencer so his guns could reach, thankfully, so when we bumped down the difficulty from Hard it was a matter of me (Wing Diver) clearing out the skies of the purple prisms while he swept the ground clear until he had space enough to take shots at the crown.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The OP for this thread seems useless so can someone explain to what these games are actually like?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Charlie Bobson posted:

The OP for this thread seems useless so can someone explain to what these games are actually like?

You are an anime and you shoot Giant Insects™

e: to be more specific, there's explosions too. Lots of them.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Charlie Bobson posted:

You are a soldier on the ground during an alien invasion where giant bugs, alien robots, and giant kaiju are laying siege to japan.

You will be shooting, grenading, rocketing, lasering, and in general blowing up said invaders.

It is fun, chaotic, cheesy, and unlike any other game you will play.

Also just watch a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0VOTmRKr4

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Charlie Bobson posted:

The game is a lot of corny dialogue like a b-rated sci-fi film. Gameplay is simple yet addicting; you have 4 classes who utilize infinite ammo weapons to shoot giant ants, spiders, and alien robots. Most of these weapons will topple building around you and ragdoll enemies across the map. As you kill enemies you get more weapons that further your killing power like grenade launchers that fire 8 shots/sec and ricochet lighting guns. The missions are fairly unique and can be challenging, the harder the difficulty the better the weapons you acquire. The charm of NPC characters shouting about winning the fight and chanting "EDF" is icing on the cake.

The main draw is finding new gear to blow poo poo up with and also to send those giant bug scum back to hell.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lovely MP experience. One mission went OK on normal with three people. Then the host went mad and decided that two wing divers are good enough to hit a cave on hard.

I had level a 10+ electric shotgun that hosed bugs good, but that idiot went in with his level 0 plasma launcher. Should not have bothered reviving him 4 times.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Charlie Bobson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJdj92N_d2I

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

fritz posted:

The only real slowdowns I've seen in 4.1 are when I'm right up against a walking quadruped fortress which on the one hand, EDF! EDF! EDF!, and on the other hand, EDF! EDF! EDF!

The Wing Diver has a plasma cannon that shoots 30 plasma balls horizontally. It's a "murder everything including the framerate" weapon.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This game is seriously my favorite B game of all time.

It's not actually a great game all things considered but it's good, stupid, simple fun. There's no semblance of balance, the Voice Acting is (intentionally) bad, solo play as certain classes is a slog (collecting boxes as a solo ranger is complete hell), and there's plenty of questionable design decisions. It's about grabbing a silly giant gun with your friends and physicsing giant swarms of insects and robots around for a bit while laughing at how silly it all is.

Weapon design uses the kitchen sink approach where there's not much thought put into balance. There's just a ton of poo poo in there and you use whatever you find fun, who cares if it's any good or not. It really feels like every time someone on the design team said "HEY WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF..." they just put it into the game to see what would happen. My favorite part is how enemy design is basically "throw enemies at the player until their PS4 catches fire, then throw in a few more for good measure"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm seriously suprised how well this runs on my middling PC. Solid 60fps in the first missions, no matter how many buildings I detonate.

I never even considered how good M+KB controls would be in an EDF game.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 19, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

It counts for everyone

EDF has this magical combination of "Ugh, grind" and "Why don't more games make the Multiplayer grind this convenient and rewarding of teamwork?" Plus at least here I can dip into one difficulty higher for weapons that are better but not game bustingly better for the difficulty I'm preffering at the moment. It's not an experience bar that prevents you from dipping into higher difficulties for cooler toys-

Blattdorf posted:

The people who said Insect Armageddon was trash compared to mainline games weren't kidding. poo poo goes down hardcore pretty much every mission.
I actually kinda liked IA. But yeah my reaction to the final battle was "Oh cool, it's finally starting to feel like the normal EDF Games-oh the game's over :sigh:"

Renegret posted:

This game is seriously my favorite B game of all time.

It's not actually a great game all things considered but it's good, stupid, simple fun. There's no semblance of balance, the Voice Acting is (intentionally) bad, solo play as certain classes is a slog (collecting boxes as a solo ranger is complete hell), and there's plenty of questionable design decisions. It's about grabbing a silly giant gun with your friends and physicsing giant swarms of insects and robots around for a bit while laughing at how silly it all is.

Weapon design uses the kitchen sink approach where there's not much thought put into balance. There's just a ton of poo poo in there and you use whatever you find fun, who cares if it's any good or not. It really feels like every time someone on the design team said "HEY WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF..." they just put it into the game to see what would happen. My favorite part is how enemy design is basically "throw enemies at the player until their PS4 catches fire, then throw in a few more for good measure"
That shining moment where you go from asking yourself "What the gently caress kind of game gives me a 1,000 damage hand grenade I can only throw 5 feet?" to laughing maniacally as you pitch them down vertically oriented giant spider invested cave levels.

As well as a deep appreciation for the Friendly Fire scaling also applying to Solo.

"How am I surviving with 15 health blowing myself up a 600 damage rocket when I have 315 health?... Oh right."

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I feel like we should at least have the thread name changed given that nobody should be playing 2025 now that two superior versions have been released.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

I feel like we should at least have the thread name changed given that nobody should be playing 2025 now that two superior versions have been released.

This really is salvation for us Xbox people. Being left behind for 4.1 sucked.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Man apparently the game has problems with AMD processors. No word on a fix yet.

Total bummer, I want to eradicate bugs today. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just picked it up. I have no idea what I am doing. The flying chick seems fun, as mobility is nice. I found a weapon called a blast launcher, which seems to do a pretty good job of killing me, and everything around me.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
i caved and bought the game

Anything I should know before I start playing?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Charlie Bobson posted:

quick slot the entire EDF song so you can sing it all in one go

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Charlie Bobson posted:

The next battle is going to be violent.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Charlie Bobson posted:

Remember your training!

Renegret posted:

quick slot the entire EDF song so you can sing it all in one go

I highly prefer the sarcastic one about how the air force and navy send out boats and planes but we infantry are of course unstoppable because we have bayonets

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Charlie Bobson posted:

Grenades are never a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Light Gun Man posted:

I highly prefer the sarcastic one about how the air force and navy send out boats and planes but we infantry are of course unstoppable because we have bayonets

I feel like it's a right of passage to get killed by an air strike in that one mission where they introduce shield bearers, because you killed the shield bearers too fast.

Let the Air Force drop their bombs. They have their honor too.

e: to the new people:

The proper way to play this game is to take nothing seriously. Even the game doesn't take itself seriously.