Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

ShootaBoy posted:

So is Conclave still unfun broken poo poo or is it worth 15 bux?

Conclave is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

ShootaBoy posted:

Unfun broken poo poo still I'm afraid.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The thread is divided. Cool people like it.

DD!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-15-assorted-cool-things.956075/

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ShootaBoy posted:

Conclave never was, the patch added the features people hated.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

you made the silk road bigger after i already conquered it?! awww now i have to do it all over

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

You already got the parts people hate for free, might as well shell out for the parts people like.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This all sounds really sweet.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

So it seems like this DLC will pretty much require Conclave?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

characters in the character finder now have icons to indicate if they will or will not move to your court, and another to show they are outside of Diplomatic Range
Good!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Rumda posted:

Conclave never was, the patch added the features people hated.

I missed all the conclave stuff, what did the patch add that people hated vs what the actual DLC added?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ Some people hate any/all of: Shattered retreat, Defensive Pacts, and the CtA change, which were all in the patch.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Not at all, what gives you that impression? I mean, I mention some use of favours for if you have it, but that's just bonus patch stuff.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Elias_Maluco posted:

If by require Conclave you mean will require all the stuff that was added in the free patch, then yes.

EDIT: Nooooo, don't touch the landed_titles! Damnit, now I'm going to have to edit it for my mod again. :negative:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy poo poo that sounds like the best DLC/Patch since WOL or maybe even OG.

Though the nomad agitation sounds, hmmm. Let's hope none of the people close to their borders are running seniority~

Volkerball posted:

Looks like your holy order has hashashin mechanics. The hashashin are assholes.
Why are they killing my peeps and not heathens? Am I going to have to vassalize them or something to get this to stop?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 19, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You'll fix Barcelona and Trier, but not the Danube? You're out to frustrate my map obsessions. :argh:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Any chance to add an Achievements view like EU4 has so you know which ones you're eligible for?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

quote:

Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask characters who are unlanded and unemployed to leave their court.

Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask their vassals to return to gavelkind succession, or force them to via a favor.
Pay to win!

quote:

Silk Road has been extended by adding a new branch from Lut - passing through Rayy and Tabriz - to Trebizond, and the southern part of the Silk Road has been updated to also pass through Dhofar, Socotra, Busaso, and Taizz on the way to Alexandria.
Save game incompatible?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

lurksion posted:

Pay to win!
Save game incompatible?

It's a major patch is pretty much a 50-50 shot anyway.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

quote:

Flanders is now part of k_france.

is the good part to me since I usually start in 1066 nowadays. No more day 1 hellwar, followed by another every time the truce is up, between France and the HRE over a single county of Flanders at a time.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

quote:

Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask their vassals to return to gavelkind succession, or force them to via a favor.

This sounds awful. Mind you I dont have that much experience in this game (like 30ish hours so basically nothing compared to yall), but favors are way too easy to get and changing inheritance laws seems way too strong a benefit. Unless the AI isn't allowed to do it to you. And that way seems hella dumb.

Objective 1 for me is going to a sane inheritance and out of gavelkind so I dont have to deal with it anymore.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why are they killing my peeps and not heathens? Am I going to have to vassalize them or something to get this to stop?

They kill whoever the gently caress they please. Vsssalizing them just makes it worse. But it adds flavor and they're my favorite holy order.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ Some people hate any/all of: Shattered retreat, Defensive Pacts, and the CtA change, which were all in the patch.

Not at all, what gives you that impression? I mean, I mention some use of favours for if you have it, but that's just bonus patch stuff.

Yeah, I thought it would be DLC features and that maybe more stuff on the new content could be tied to favours and such

I all for expanding the favour system to all kinds of diplomatic relations anyway, even if it makes conclave required

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Natalya Fartz posted:

This sounds awful. Mind you I dont have that much experience in this game (like 30ish hours so basically nothing compared to yall), but favors are way too easy to get and changing inheritance laws seems way too strong a benefit. Unless the AI isn't allowed to do it to you. And that way seems hella dumb.

Objective 1 for me is going to a sane inheritance and out of gavelkind so I dont have to deal with it anymore.

It's to deal with uppity superdukes. You know, the ones that constantly conquer their way out of your borders and wind up with more men than you. You'd only see it fired in your direction if you were playing a vassal, and the AI seems rather more intent on making you happy than punishing your ambition.

I like the idea, personally, makes me want to set up a superduke with a dozen children, force him into gavelkind, and watch the fireworks. Maybe make his children ambitious as well.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The big thing is that a player vassal can be a lot more careful about making sure he doesn't owe his liege any favors, whereas the AI often trades favors for votes, or is willing to accept a bribe. I guess there are a few favor-granting events outside of player control, but if you're a true superduke you can just quit the council and revolt anyway.

(not to mention my guess is that many players would just assassinate their liege ASAP if they ended up owing him a favor)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why you guys keep referring to it as <Secret DLC>. It's pretty obvious that it's going to be called "Plague and Prosperity". Either that or "Death and Taxes".

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dareon posted:

It's to deal with uppity superdukes. You know, the ones that constantly conquer their way out of your borders and wind up with more men than you. You'd only see it fired in your direction if you were playing a vassal, and the AI seems rather more intent on making you happy than punishing your ambition.

I like the idea, personally, makes me want to set up a superduke with a dozen children, force him into gavelkind, and watch the fireworks. Maybe make his children ambitious as well.

I read that the opposite direction. Your vassal can make their liege go Gavelkind. Yea, its way less awful when read correctly.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there currently any extra penalty for getting caught murdering people you owe a favour to? Feels like there should be.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've been confused for a while because they called "End of Days" the titular event chain and I just assumed that meant that was the DLC's title.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

cool and good posted:

I've been confused for a while because they called "End of Days" the titular event chain and I just assumed that meant that was the DLC's title.

Nope, that's going to be the Skeletons DLC's title :black101:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I bought Conclave and the extras pack ($14 for both), and I was kinda salty about my council blocking poo poo when I was playing as the count of Schwaben, but then my liege asked me to be his chancellor and as soon as I got on one of the most powerful counts gave me a favour. Soon after that the crusade everyone was on failed, so I used the favour to get the count into a faction to make me the duke, and his 2k troops were enough to let me kick my mostly troopless liege's rear end. Conclave owns.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That's a cool story, it's been way too long since I played as a vassal.

I'll have to try it out with Conclave.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

cool and good posted:

I assumed the same thing too, actually. Although I'd hope they'd save that name for the last DLC.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm having a bit of trouble finding good historical fiction set in this time period. I have a good series from Arthurian times (Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles) and I just finished a great novel set at the very beginning of the Reformation (The Relic Master by Christopher Buckley), but I haven't found a decently engaging novel about the time periods this game covers. You'd think there'd be some about vikings, at least.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 2, 2018

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
War of the Gods by Poul Anderson

I bought I whole bunch of Viking books thanks to CK2 but I haven't read most of them yet so can't recommend.

There's definitely plenty of novels set during crusade times. Whether they're any good or not is questionable.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle. Involves modern day archeologists, a mercenary company in the Middle Ages, a reborn Carthage, miracles, and genocidal machines.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm watching The Last Kingdom, which takes place in Wessex in the 860's during the invasion of the great heathen armies. It's based off a book series I hear is good, but I can't confirm as I haven't read them. The series is good at least.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Baudolino by Umberto Eco (comic adventure for medievalists)

I read this when I was in jail and it loving owned it's so good

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm watching The Last Kingdom, which takes place in Wessex in the 860's during the invasion of the great heathen armies. It's based off a book series I hear is good, but I can't confirm as I haven't read them. The series is good at least.

The Last Kingdom was a great show, but like many others it took awhile to get rolling and I think it lost a lot of viewers early on.

Once it had that momentum, though, what it did with it was grand and drat good television.

It's a good little companion piece to CK2 as well. If at the end of every episode you aren't filled with the immediate urge to raid your enemies and politically scheme your way to the top, you may want to check your pulse.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

The Borgia's is a bit later setting (Renaissance), but it's a great show for some sweet (in this case evil) pope action. Both the American version (Jeremy Irons) and the European? Version are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

verbal enema posted:

I read this when I was in jail and it loving owned it's so good

So you were castrated rather than blinded, then?

Depending how realistic you want your historical fiction there's also The City of Silk and Steel (aka The Steel Seraglio) by Mike Carey and family.

• Locked thread