Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can make more AMFU ammo from stuff you collect with the srv.

I see what you're saying about having two, I guess it just seems overly paranoid from my experience with exploring. :shrug:

It was a tip I read, and admittedly after my quick jaunt over to the Statue of Liberty nebula, I think I tend to agree with you. I learned a few pitfalls that I would avoid again and I could see not really needing a second one unless I planned on being gone a very, very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Panch posted:

It was a tip I read, and admittedly after my quick jaunt over to the Statue of Liberty nebula, I think I tend to agree with you. I learned a few pitfalls that I would avoid again and I could see not really needing a second one unless I planned on being gone a very, very long time.

I got Elite in exploration and never needed two- and frankly I never once found myself in a situation where I needed the one that I brought with me. Two is complete overkill unless you're really prone to getting hurt or shot at.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luneshot posted:

I got Elite in exploration and never needed two- and frankly I never once found myself in a situation where I needed the one that I brought with me. Two is complete overkill unless you're really prone to getting hurt or shot at.

It depends on how far from the bubble you go or careless or drunk you are. You probably won't need an AFMU unless you make an entirely avoidable mistake, but when you're 10k ly from the bubble, even a routine screwup can be a big problem.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Biggest danger for me has been falling asleep. Oh! And that one time my joystick went crazy and died and the game decided that meant 100% throttle and and no control right as I jumped into a star. That sucked.

Still at 89% hull after >50kly.

Most dangers in exploration can be avoided by zeroing your throttle as you enter witchspace.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Biggest danger for me has been falling asleep. Oh! And that one time my joystick went crazy and died and the game decided that meant 100% throttle and and no control right as I jumped into a star. That sucked.

Still at 89% hull after >50kly.

Most dangers in exploration can be avoided by zeroing your throttle as you enter witchspace.

…except for the ones where you need to 100% your throttle just as you come out of it. :D

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ironically, zeroing my throttle almost killed me one time: I came out between multiple suns and because my throttle was at zero, my ship came to rest at perfect roasting position. Speeding up again to get out of this trap took too long, so I had to emergency crash back to normal space and spit out a heatsink to avoid burning up. What followed was a scary little adventure of me using a heatsink, going into supercruise to get away from the suns around me, dropping out when the heat got too much and rinse, repeat.

After my third heatsink I finally got away far enough to cool down below 100%. Incredibly, I only took like 10% hull damage from this. Of course without heatsinks, my ship wouldn't have made it out alive, so there's that.

Edit:

As Tippis said, sometimes when you see multiple suns and see your heat shoot up after your jump, this is the game telling you to stay at 100% speed and hurtle yourself out of there asap.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 18, 2016

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Somehow despite >50kly traveled I've never once been unlucky enough to get roasted between two stars. :shrug:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Luneshot posted:

Somehow despite >50kly traveled I've never once been unlucky enough to get roasted between two stars. :shrug:

Truly the devil's threeway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72tamMH57Is

Granted, most of the time you can spot them a mile away on the star map. Even then, though, there are circumstances where what should be a safe jump dumps you between two distant stars rather than at the main star, which is always refreshing…

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

Truly the devil's threeway.

Two stars, multiple times. Three stars, two times. Four stars, one time.

:haw:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Where is that video of the goon who tried to kill himself in the sun and it took 20 minutes or whatever?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Where is that video of the goon who tried to kill himself in the sun and it took 20 minutes or whatever?

That goon was the stupidest motherfucker ever, considering it's really easy to kill yourself in a sun in no time flat

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Obligatory.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sitting here reading all these and thinking, "This never happens, how are goons seriously getting thrown between a binar-"

:stare: This system is nothing but four stars in two binary sets all within 40ls of each other. It is just a mourning star of ship death, apparently. Luckily I didn't get caught in anything when I zoomed in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, this is weird.

I had an 11 million fine in system A. Then I got scanned while docking in system B and got a 30m fine there. Now I have a 52 million fine in system B and no fine in system A under transactions.

Is this just :frontear: or am I missing something?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Truga posted:

Well, this is weird.

I had an 11 million fine in system A. Then I got scanned while docking in system B and got a 30m fine there. Now I have a 52 million fine in system B and no fine in system A under transactions.

It's :frontear: messing up again.

Are you seriously paying your idiot tax? Not like it's your home system.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No, I'm not paying tax at all, I'm keeping track of it, this is going to turn into a bounty after a week right? That's free 50 million right there

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Truga posted:

No, I'm not paying tax at all, I'm keeping track of it, this is going to turn into a bounty after a week right? That's free 50 million right there

Pretty sure the max you can collect from a bounty is 1 mil.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh wow, that's lame

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
The E:D forums and subreddit tonight.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Got banned from the brown sea for calling their unpaid unskilled volunteer playtesters a pack of drooling idiots. Worth it. 'Employee Harassment' they called it. Frontier basically relies on unpaid unqualified volunteers to do everything but the coding. And even the results of their paid employees are hit or miss.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 19, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
By the way, wasn't Lavecon this weekend? Was there no news at all?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
http://www.alpha-orbital.com/news/the-quick-and-dirty-lavecon-qa-summary

Frontier admits they hosed up the engy drop rate.

CG God Intervention? "Yes. The effect of a few players was disproportionate to the efforts of thousands. We will be changing lockdown thresholds"

"Karma System" possible in future for Hostile Player Commanders ganking newbies.

No news on when they actually unfuck engineers or release 2.2

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 19, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

That is interesting (not as the hilarious prank last year though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5xW240lJ30

Decoding the sound that thing made..

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Isn't that the Independence Day Resurgence ship hieroglyph symbol everyone in that dumb movie was ranting over?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Truga posted:

Well, this is weird.

It's :frontear:. The transactions panel has been very buggy since 2.1 came out, prone to combining, forgetting, or just increasing your fines and bounties for no particular reason. It's just a display bug, though - your fines haven't actually been combined.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Holy gently caress on a twitch stream a dude in Merope 5 C is fighting in a conflict zone that is instanced within the surface flight area of a planet. Like, the fight, with a farragut class cruiser and everything, is happening on the surface. I did not know these things occurred at all. It's loving badass.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

When they finally release something other than the Scarab for surface driving, hopefully a tank / AA-missile unit will make ground combat zones really fun.

Multicrew + tank in hold + 'hot drop' deploying pls Frontier.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Sorry but I doubt frontier could properly handle something that awesome. The tank driver would likely die on impact or fall into the earth or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When they finally release something other than the Scarab for surface driving, hopefully a tank / AA-missile unit will make ground combat zones really fun.

Multicrew + tank in hold + 'hot drop' deploying pls Frontier.

Are fighters going to be Horizons-only? If so, maybe they'll be able to target ground objects and skimmers :mad:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

It's :frontear:. The transactions panel has been very buggy since 2.1 came out, prone to combining, forgetting, or just increasing your fines and bounties for no particular reason. It's just a display bug, though - your fines haven't actually been combined.
It also gave money randomly to players probably repeat payment for former already paid cgs.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Panch posted:

https://m.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4sguoa/this_imperial_rank_grind_actually_works/ I used this spot to get up to Baron for the Clipper and it was relatively painless. I started at... Whatever the rank for the courier is and it took me 3 days of only an hour or two playtime each to get to the Clipper. I think the last day was a Sunday though and maybe took a bit longer, regardless. Pretty fast.

It nets not bad money, which is nice. I made 10mil in that period and fairly frequently spent on the horribly inefficient charity missions, so it could have been a lot more.

Thanks for this post...I'm currently grinding towards an I.Courier rank (in an ASP and Cobra...got all my other stuff back in Kremainn) in Cubeo and surrounding systems so I'll give this a try. I may even grind to Baron so when I get around to buying a Clipper I'll have the rank.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Vorlonesque posted:

Thanks for this post...I'm currently grinding towards an I.Courier rank (in an ASP and Cobra...got all my other stuff back in Kremainn) in Cubeo and surrounding systems so I'll give this a try. I may even grind to Baron so when I get around to buying a Clipper I'll have the rank.

I can vouch for it. It's very quick and painless as far as E:D standings grinds go. You even make a bit of cash in the process — the missions may not give the impressions but you'll go so many in such short order that the money piles up through sheer volume. It's entirely possible that by doing the Baron grind, you'll have more than enough to immediately buy and equip that Clipper.

The only thing to look out for, really, is that you pick the right destination system, because going 150Ly out of your way becomes quite annoying and when (not if) you abandon it, there's nowhere to sell the now-illegal goods. Similarly, look out for when some cargo mission suddenly update with a new destination (or if you take a mission where you'll be told the drop-off once you arrive in-system) — those, too, will inevitably be 100+ Ly away and should just be abandoned.

On the plus side, in the HIP 10716 system, the hop between the outpost and the planet base is so short that any time some NPC goes after you during that transition, they will — unfailingly — plow straight into the planet and be out of your hair for the rest of the mission. So that adds some much-needed humour to the proceedings.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One other tip on that grind:

When I was taking like 5-6 cargo missions at once I was getting interdicted so often it wasn't even worth high-waking away because some rear end in a top hat would be right back on me the instant I came back into the system. Like, I was getting interdicted so much one NPC rear end in a top hat actually interdicted me out of the middle of me submitting to someone else's interdiction.

I don't care about making credits off this grind, and I got sick of dealing with being constantly interdicted, so I started taking only data delivery missions and making sure my cargo hold is empty at all times. You'll still get the occasional mission where it will send someone after you as a special mission update, but it's rare. The rest of the time, I've been left alone, or if I've been interdicted they haven't bothered to follow me once they see I'm empty. Since the weekend I've gone from no rank to Baron off data delivery alone (with a little board scumming on occasion if there's not enough data missions), and I think it's probably faster overall to avoid the cargo missions and just load the gently caress up on data delivery.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Once you can buy a clipper, how much does it usually cost to purchase/fit and what's it good for? So far I've been using a Vulture for RES money making (which seems very fast and indestructible) and an ASP explorer for exploration. Not sure where the clipper fits into the picture of things to do.

I kind of wouldn't mind getting into the public Conflict Power play stuff, but I have no idea where to start. It seems like it's making a bit of news as of late.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ShadowMoo posted:

Got banned from the brown sea for calling their unpaid unskilled volunteer playtesters a pack of drooling idiots. Worth it. 'Employee Harassment' they called it. Frontier basically relies on unpaid unqualified volunteers to do everything but the coding. And even the results of their paid employees are hit or miss.

:frogon:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ShadowMoo posted:

:nallears:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Once you can buy a clipper, how much does it usually cost to purchase/fit and what's it good for? So far I've been using a Vulture for RES money making (which seems very fast and indestructible) and an ASP explorer for exploration. Not sure where the clipper fits into the picture of things to do.

I kind of wouldn't mind getting into the public Conflict Power play stuff, but I have no idea where to start. It seems like it's making a bit of news as of late.

It's an extremely fast multipurpose ship with potentially powerful shields. That class 7 internal will be pricey to stuff something like a shield into though. It's also good at ramming :getin:
Your vulture is probably a better RES dogfighter but the clipper is the good step up from your asp if you want to haul stuff (with the bad step up being the Trap 7).

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have one built for exploration and it is very fun. With engineers FSD upgrades you can get it in the range of a stock Asp but with more utilities and way, way more style.

It is not a bad bulk hauler/trader (apparently) and I didn't have trouble making it a decent PVE ship to get the materials and things for my FSD mod. Not the best for sure and I didn't want to bite off anything too crazy.

I guess in the end it's the definition of multipurpose. I plan on keeping it in my fleet as my main exploration vehicle, though, presuming I can bare to grind up some of the nice-to-have engineer mods. I linked it earlier in the thread but with that build (which I could surely slim down more) I have 30.77Ly range empty/full tank of fuel with (I think) about a 23% rank 3 upgrade. It didn't take me long at all to get those materials but I had already had some from all the materials I had gotten doing the rep missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

As always, it depends how exactly what role you pick and how nuts you go with it.
A high-end combat fit might set you back ~100M; a trading/cargo fit maybe half that (the Python will be slightly better, but also costs 50% more).

The ship as a whole is probably geared more towards combat because of its tank, speed, and (surprising) manoeuvrability. If you look it up on some place like coriolis, its agility will be rated pretty poorly — that's pretty much BS. It has slightly weak lateral thrusters, but in practice, it is no worse than any other medium ship… it just happens to be rated as a large one because of the nacelles that make it wider than it needs to be. Even then, pretty much anything that can out-maneuver you, you'll be able to out-fly to set up for better positioning; anything that's both faster and more nimble, will be flimsy enough to die almost instantly if you just get in a good position once. What it gives you over the Vulture is that you can just keep the trigger down until stuff melts, and you don't have to spend as much effort staying out of the enemy's way: you can out-tank almost anything you'll encounter, and if that doesn't work, as mentioned, just ram it. :D

The thing it probably does the worst is exploration, mainly because of its slightly under-classed FSD. But even then, it's not exactly terrible — just not a good choice for the grind time and cash you have to spend.

• Locked thread