Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Even $50/month is pretty cheap. Residents-only parking spots usually go for around $150/month in downtown Calgary, and unrestricted indoor parking in city parkades can cost more than $600/month (and until recently, there was a waiting list for monthly spaces at that rate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

tetsul posted:

I'm sure people were lined up waiting for the polls to open so they could vote out Harper and get their precious long form census back.

Apparently no NDP supporters were, that's for sure.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
The average Canadian is too inconvenienced to spend 5-20 minutes every five years to tell the government anonymously about themselves.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I moved in May and ended up having to fill out two, one of which was the long form.

I think it took a grand total of ten minutes.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

OSI bean dip posted:

The average Canadian is too inconvenienced to spend 5-20 minutes every five years to tell the government anonymously about themselves.

More true than you'd think:

CBC, May 03 posted:

Statistics Canada confirmed Tuesday morning that the website was down for 45 minutes because of Canadians' "enthusiasm" for the census.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/census-2016-nerds-1.3563808

CBC, Jun 24 posted:

Statistics Canada's online system crashed the first day it began to collect census data from Canadians last month because of design flaws, not because too many people were using it simultaneously as the agency initially suggested.

Internal documents also indicate the system was broken for about three hours on May 2, longer than the 45 minutes the agency initially claimed, and affected "millions" of Canadians trying to file.

Statistics Canada claimed in a tweet that evening that because of the "high numbers" of Canadians filing their census information, the website was "overwhelmed by the enthusiasm."

In fact, traffic on the website was only at about 50 per cent of expected capacity, according to documents obtained by CBC News under the Access to Information Act.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/census-statistics-canada-computers-online-webpage-1.3649989

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Even $50/month is pretty cheap. Residents-only parking spots usually go for around $150/month in downtown Calgary, and unrestricted indoor parking in city parkades can cost more than $600/month (and until recently, there was a waiting list for monthly spaces at that rate).

Between that, gas prices, and the other drivers, my decision not to drive looks better all the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

St. Dogbert posted:

Between that, gas prices, and the other drivers, my decision not to drive looks better all the time.

There's a middle ground between commuting daily for work and not driving at all, of course. I use my car maybe once or twice a week on average, but it's incredibly convenient for those few times.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

PT6A posted:

It's pretty similar in Edmonton. I'm happy I don't drive, despite the city being as unfriendly to bikers as is legally possible.

OTOH Edmonton has public ashtrays at regular intervals downtown which is amazing, I wish Toronto would do the same thing.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Guy DeBorgore posted:

OTOH Edmonton has public ashtrays at regular intervals downtown which is amazing, I wish Toronto would do the same thing.

Edmonton is so classy with its ashtrays everywhere. Can we get places to put our needles while we're at it? Whyte Ave would appreciate it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Guy DeBorgore posted:

No, that would be a sensible policy initiative to reduce litter, instead of a punitive measure aimed at smokers, therefore cities like Toronto and Calgary will steadfastly refuse to do it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Edmonton is so classy with its ashtrays everywhere. Can we get places to put our needles while we're at it? Whyte Ave would appreciate it.

Honestly, there probably should be sharps bins distributed more widely. I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two in Calgary. It's simply sensible. Reducing the impact on the community is not the same as saying that we approve of or encourage shooting heroin or smoking.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The sharps bins are for diabetics, not junkies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

The sharps bins are for diabetics, not junkies.

Or both! I don't really care why someone is injecting themselves, I care that they have a safe place to dispose of used needles.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus - just heard some woman was dancing with a mask in one of our busiest intersections with a gun to her head. Cops came in and told her to drop it. Someone heard pops but think it was just beanbags or something - the cops rushed her and took her in custody. No death.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=270964223278825&id=100010957486490

This was in Winnipeg.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Still focusing on the things that matter

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I like this one.

https://twitter.com/MaurerBroadway/status/755462203784830976
https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/755462982042263552

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

St. Dogbert posted:

:hfive:

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.
https://twitter.com/samiakhan183/status/755465862027632640

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/755467621382828032

Time well spent, if you ask me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

St. Dogbert posted:

Driving in Vancouver rush hour is loving awful and I wish I had a choice for commuting to work. It'll be the reason I quit eventually.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/07/18/downtown-bar-patrons-could-listen-to-amplified-music-and-dance-on-patios-if-council-approves-pilot-project

drat kids these days.

Wanting loud music in the downtown!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I wonder what it's like to be a joyless sack of poo poo who hates fun and wants everyone to be miserable. There sure seem to be a lot of them, and they all seem to have quite a lot of time to call bylaw enforcement and go to city hall and such.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

Driving in Vancouver rush hour is loving awful and I wish I had a choice for commuting to work. It'll be the reason I quit eventually.

SkyTrain is the best train. :smug:

That said, I do not miss commutting via car in Metro Vancouver at all.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/two-wheeler-preachers-and-sanctimonious-scolders-vancouver-has-declared-war-on-the-car

quote:

VANCOUVER — A war is being waged in Vancouver’s streets. Led by green-by-all-means mayor Gregor Robertson, City Hall has identified and vilified its enemy, the car. The private automobile.

The mayor doesn’t own one. He prefers his bicycle. Since taking office eight years ago, Robertson and his slate of left-leaning councillors have introduced myriad bicycle lanes into the city’s downtown core and other neighbourhoods, to the frustration of motorists, taxi drivers, shop owners, pedestrians and others. (And to the delight of residents of one publicly maintained street, which, thanks to its dedicated bike lane, is now a semi-private, local vehicles and bikes only driveway, off limits to the taxpaying hoi polloi.)

Some of the city’s new traffic-clogging, business-blocking lanes are seldom used, but that’s of little concern to two-wheeler preachers and sanctimonious scolders who aren’t dependent on cars for their livelihoods. More dedicated bike lanes are on the way.

Planning a move to Vancouver’s West End, a densely populated, mostly working-class neighbourhood wedged between the downtown core and beloved Stanley Park? Better think twice about bringing a car. City Hall would much prefer you leave the thing behind. You’re better to sell it. Sell it now.

A staff report delivered to city council this month recommends that any newcomer seeking a city parking permit in the West End be slapped with a 700 per cent fee increase. Current permit fees for existing residents are far too low, at $80 a year, explain city planners. Better to charge incoming residents at a “market rate,” which the city has determined to be $50 a month, or a punishing $600 a year.

The proposed permit fee increase would not apply to other neighbourhoods.

According to Vancouver transportation director Lon LaClaire, there are 16,000 registered vehicles in the West End, about one for every three residents, and more than enough parking spaces to accommodate them all: 22,000 off-street (mostly underground) private parking spaces and 2,700 on-street permit spaces.

A 700 per cent fee increase for a city street parking permit would force car owners to consider either giving up their vehicles, or renting an unused private space from, say, a neighbouring building. LaClaire says there are thousands of empty parking spaces sitting underground.

Would the owners of those private parking spaces be persuaded to rent out their spaces to strangers? Who knows.

What is certain, says LaClaire, is that the proposed fee increase would discourage locals from parking their vehicles on the street. It would be a costly inconvenience for them, but a possible boon for West End visitors, who typically spend about 10 minutes circling the block, looking for a place to park.

There are 500 time-limited, no-fee parking spaces on West End streets, hardly enough to satisfy demand. Rather than create more, city planners have recommended that all free parking zones be eliminated, replaced with money-sucking parking meters.

Fewer and astronomically more expensive parking spots: The city can spin that as a public benefit, but it really represents a potential cash grab, to “be used to help pay for amenities in the West End,” according to the official plan. Which amenities? The city doesn’t say.

But Vancouver has no choice, says LaClaire. Projected population growth means more density is coming, and “you can’t accommodate those (people) in cars. It just doesn’t work.”

There’s some truth to that, for sure. But the city won’t tell the whole truth, which is that it has an agenda: to pester and drive out people who use cars. The latest parking fee finagle represents another city-led assault on the automobile.

Meanwhile, popping up across the city, including the West End, are large, metal bicycle racks, some plunked down on streets, blocking more lanes, preventing people from directly accessing their homes and stores.

The bike racks are permanent new pieces of city infrastructure, parts of a subsidized bike share scheme cooked up by planners and a private, Florida-based enterprise, and endorsed by Mayor Robertson and his loyalists on council.

:qq:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

I wonder what it's like to be a joyless sack of poo poo who hates fun and wants everyone to be miserable. There sure seem to be a lot of them, and they all seem to have quite a lot of time to call bylaw enforcement and go to city hall and such.

:ironicat:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Say what? For all my general dislike of people, I don't narc on my neighbours when they're having a party, or bitch about loud noise in the downtown, or get my panties in a twist because my delicate nose smelled some cigarette smoke.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 19, 2016

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

This is the greatest thing of all time. Also loving $80 for a parking space? Holy poo poo thats insane.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Say what?

Just kind of amusing seeing that coming from someone that appears to be so angry all the time and has no problems telling others how to live their lives (or more frequently take their own lives).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Just kind of amusing seeing that coming from someone that appears to be so angry all the time and has no problems telling others how to live their lives (or more frequently take their own lives).

I can get angry at people and their stupidity without thinking I have the legal right to bend them to my will.

Also, partying and drinking and listening to music is awesome so it should be permitted. Letting your child die of a curable disease because you're a stubborn and ignorant moron, just as an example, is not good, so it should be harshly punished.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

Coun. Paul Hubert supported the test, saying it would be chance to test the idea downtown before London hosts Country Music Week from Sept. 8 to 11.

Fuckin right country music rules and I definitely support mandatory exposure for downtown city peckerheads.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

Fuckin right country music rules and I definitely support mandatory exposure for downtown city peckerheads.

Well there's been music every weekend this summer and there has been a while mix of genres.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

I can get angry at people and their stupidity without thinking I have the legal right to bend them to my will.

Also, partying and drinking and listening to music is awesome so it should be permitted. Letting your child die of a curable disease because you're a stubborn and ignorant moron, just as an example, is not good, so it should be harshly punished.

Nobody except you see a meaningful distinction between wanting pointless bylaws to be enforced vs. thinking somebody who makes a minor mistake deserves to die or be maimed. You're displaying the same kind of thought process, just filtered through libertarian sociopathy rather than liberal paternalism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

Nobody except you see a meaningful distinction between wanting pointless bylaws to be enforced vs. thinking somebody who makes a minor mistake deserves to die or be maimed. You're displaying the same kind of thought process, just filtered through libertarian sociopathy rather than liberal paternalism.

I don't think people deserve to die or be maimed for making minor mistakes.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

If a pedestrian jaywalks and gets hit as a result, who cares why the pedestrian did so? It's their own drat fault.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I didn't say that jaywalkers deserve to die or be maimed. It's a sad case when one of them in injured or killed, even if it's their own fault. I simply don't think we need to protect adults from their own stupidity by forbidding them to use a phone when walking across a street, or lowering speed limits to some ridiculous level like 30 km/h on major surface streets.

If that makes me a libertarian in your eyes, then so be it. But I certainly do not wish for people to be maimed or killed for making minor mistakes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Vancouver’s West End, a densely populated, mostly working-class neighbourhood...

If I have to pay to park my Porsche SUV in front of my $1,000/sqft apartment in my working-class neighbourhood I'm going to send a sternly worded fax to the mayor! :argh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

Country or Nu-Country?

This important.

Also this is London, they're a city like a drainage ditch is a lake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Country or Nu-Country?

This important.

Also this is London, they're a city like a drainage ditch is a lake.

To be fair to the drainage ditch in this simile, drainage ditches are rarely full of racists like London is.

Also re: country music, the classic artists are still my favourites but I prefer some of the newer stuff to some of the classic-classic stuff. Willie Nelson's Countryman and Heroes are some of my favourite albums, gently caress the country music haters.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Country or Nu-Country?

100% bro country.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ikantski posted:

100% bro country.

Hey man London is somewhat livable. Rent is cheap!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Hey man London is somewhat livable. Rent is cheap!

And the burning crosses mean you don't have to pay too much for heating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

100% bro country.

An autotuned lament about hard times in the oil patch, losing your home in a firestorm, and only being able to fit one of your snowmobiles in your lifted F-350.

Oh, and loving in a cornfield.