Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Man gently caress off last year when I took Gibson over Vasilevsky you said that you were surprised because Vasilevsky's going to be the better of the two with his elite athleticism.

He might be actually. But I think those two are the best young goalies. I also said last year that Vas' athleticism will allow him to stay good for longer but Gibson will hit the higher ceiling. I still believe that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

eXXon posted:

Man gently caress off last year when I took Gibson over Vasilevsky you said that you were surprised because Vasilevsky's going to be the better of the two with his elite athleticism.

:eyepop:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
get the barn ready boys

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I demand logical and temporal consistency from opinions of hockey players I barely ever actually see playing, what's the problem?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 19, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He might be actually. But I think those two are the best young goalies. I also said last year that Vas' athleticism will allow him to stay good for longer but Gibson will hit the higher ceiling. I still believe that

Nothing in Gibson's previous performance indicates he's got a higher ceiling. Being a year older is also significant. (that's a knock against Mrazek too)

Vasilevsky is probably going to be the best of the bunch.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If there is any science or consistency to judging a goalie before he hits 30, I do not know what it is - and neither do the LA Kings for that matter.
It seems like a shot in the dark most of the time - but more importantly, the goalie talent in the NHL is probably as high as it has ever been. There are arguably more startable goalies than there are teams that need them at this very moment.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goalie peak is apparently historically 23-26 soooo

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

uh I'll take Mike Ribiero because he's still a productive scorer (50 in 81 last year despite shooting 5% under his career average) and apparently he has really great fancies

he should be a really reliable third line center for the squad

JoelJoel is up

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Menamino posted:

uh I'll take Mike Ribiero because he's still a productive scorer (50 in 81 last year despite shooting 5% under his career average) and apparently he has really great fancies

he should be a really reliable third line center for the squad

JoelJoel is up

Grats on drafting a complete dirtbag

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
gently caress Mike Ribiero

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

gently caress Mike Ribiero

Only against my will

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Technetium posted:

Only against my will

you're of legal age, he isn't interested

JoelJoel has until 4:08, followed up by Yaya and Dandy Kaiser

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

for the purposes of a potential sim of a season in whatever program people use to do that after this draft is over - digital, computer generated mike ribiero did nothing wrong

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Menamino posted:

for the purposes of a potential sim of a season in whatever program people use to do that after this draft is over - digital, computer generated mike ribiero did nothing wrong

for the purposes of judging you and your team he did everything wrong and is a garbage man

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Garbage men are an important part of society please don't group them with that sack of poo poo

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Aye Doc posted:

JoelJoel has until 4:08, followed up by Yaya and Dandy Kaiser

come to butthead

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I am ready to make my pick. Which means JoelJoel is going to take them in the next 4 minutes.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Edmonton Oilers select Jimmy Vesey. The last two Hobey Baker Award winners, Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel, both burst into the NHL with stellar 20+ goal seasons the year after they won the award. Mind you, with a few exceptions there aren't too many prestigious names attached to the award, but with the jump in quality in NCAA hockey in recent years, along with the success of Gaudreau and Eichel, I feel its worth taking the two year ELC risk on Vesey to see if he pans out.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

GOD loving DAMNIT

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

So much hate currently flowing through me

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

that was a very satisfying sequence

e: my enjoyment of it means that both of the guys i would want to make it back to me will immediately go and the schadenfreude will be upon me instead

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 19, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah I'm not sure about Jimmy Vesey. I thought about him, but he screams 'not gonna be a star' to me. He's already 23 (and several months older than Johnny Gaureau) and he took a step back offensively this year. Lots of teams seem incredibly eager to offer him primo NHL minutes to get him under contract, so I guess he'll put up points but he feels like the LW version of Justin Schultz. If he was ripping poo poo up as a freshman like the other guys you mentioned then I'd be more inclined to believe he might be an NHL level scorer, but he didn't break out until age 21. The hype around him reminds me of Matt Gilroy of Fabian Brunnstrom, and yeah that was stupid.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about Jimmy Vesey. I thought about him, but he screams 'not gonna be a star' to me. He's already 23 (and several months older than Johnny Gaureau) and he took a step back offensively this year. Lots of teams seem incredibly eager to offer him primo NHL minutes to get him under contract, so I guess he'll put up points but he feels like the LW version of Justin Schultz. If he was ripping poo poo up as a freshman like the other guys you mentioned then I'd be more inclined to believe he might be an NHL level scorer, but he didn't break out until age 21. The hype around him reminds me of Matt Gilroy of Fabian Brunnstrom, and yeah that was stupid.

I'm not 100% on him either, but I feel its a low-risk, high reward scenario. If Vesey busts, its only a two year ELC. If he works out, its a cap friendly 20+ goal scoring tool which is big to me, as somebody who's already concerned about cap space.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Gaudreau and Eichel were both younger and put up better seasons when they won the Hobey Baker, that's not really an accurate comparison. He's more similar to Drew Leblanc or Jack Connolly who also won in their senior years with a similar ppg total.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Man, you guys really going nuts on the goalies. Stars ain't falling for that trap.

Dallas selects Marcus Johansson.

He's a nice young scoring winger. He could still grow his game a bit but he likely tops out at a 50 (20/30) point player. He rounds out my second line and gives me a very dangerous one-two top-six.

Benn (27) - Krecji (30) - Stone (24)
Johansson (25) - Zbanejad(23) - Palmeri (25)

Ellis (25) - Ekholm (26)

Krejci is gettin up there but the rest of them are either in the middle of or just entering their prime. They should all be at their best for a good 5-7 years, giving me a nice cup window. The D can be filled out with grizzly vets and a couple prospects and I'm not telling you my plans for the bottom six. Dallas don't need no goalie so we'll grab one after a coach.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 19, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Since I'm seeing almost 80 defensemen have been drafted and that RD ones specifically are basically all going to be gone by the next time the draft comes round this way, the Sharks are going to select Jason Garrison

Had a down year last year production wise, but got back on the top PP unit at the end of the season and started to produce again. Less than 5M for a corsi-positive veteran on the right side of 35, especially with how young D have flown off the board, seems like this isn't a terrible idea. I anticipate him having a better year this year, and I don't really see much by the way of noticeably better options to round out what is probably going to be a solid but very unspectacular defense

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 19, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Infidel Castro
i am the bird
VJeff 2x

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Well I gambled and lost on getting Mrazek, Gibson, or Vasilevsky, so I'll have to settle on my backup plan and take Frederik Andersen

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He also shouldn't have won the Hobey Baker. Connor got robbed.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:agreed:

I was really looking for a cheap 3rd liner with some upside and Vesey seemed like the best dart throw I could muster and I thought for sure he'd make it to me here

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Huh. I guess I'll take Henrik Zetterberg. I've got a young, inexpensive team right now so I'm not worried about his age or contract. He can't carry a line anymore but I imagine he'd still be productive alongside any of the centers I have and he has ~intangibles~ as a leader and Conn Smythe/Cup winner. And when he inevitably dies of boneitis, I'll just throw him on LTIR forever.

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Draisaitl-
Zetterberg-Nielsen-

Muzzin-Niskanen

edit: whoops forgot I also had Silfffffverberg.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2016

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm here, one moment.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm drafting two defenseman, David Savard and Marco Scandella.

Ovechkin - Toffoli - Wheeler
xxxxxxx - Dubinsky - xxxxxx

Goligoski - Orlov
Savard - Scandella

Rinne

i am the bird, then Infidel Castro and Dandy Kaiser.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 20, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

I'm drafting two defenseman, David Savard and Marco Scandella.

Ovechkin - Toffoli - Wheeler
xxxxxxx - Dubinsky - xxxxxx

Goligoski - Orlov
Savard - Scandella

Rinne

i am the bird, then Infidel Castro and Dandy Kaiser.

Boy is that second d-pair ever a gift for the rest of your division.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'll take Justin Braun

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Draisaitl-
Zetterberg-Nielsen-

Muzzin-Niskanen
???-Braun

Infidel Castro is up next.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I might get both my picks stolen today!!!!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jordan7hm posted:

Vasilevsky is probably going to be the best of the bunch.

:smugdon:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Boy is that second d-pair ever a gift for the rest of your division.

Scandella is not bad. Savard... no comment. Braun is also a good pick.

On the other hand, Andersen is a bad choice and lol at picking Nielsen and Zetterberg to anchor your 3rd line until they're nearly 40 on average.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

eXXon posted:

Scandella is not bad. Savard... no comment. Braun is also a good pick.

On the other hand, Andersen is a bad choice and lol at picking Nielsen and Zetterberg to anchor your 3rd line until they're nearly 40 on average.

They'll be great for a couple years, especially for the youngins to transition, and then I'll LTIR them forever. It'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

i am the bird posted:

I'll take Justin Braun

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Draisaitl-
Zetterberg-Nielsen-

Muzzin-Niskanen