Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The fact Tony says "Suggest I am a super hero, which would be awesome" implies that super heroes are a thing in the Marvel Universe, and that easily could mean that between Cap and Iron Man there have been people will powers or super science over the decades, probably working for SHIELD or being forgotten/sweap under the carpet by them. Sentry could have easily existed.

I actually was thinking if the FF made it into the MCU, have then being active in the past, only to retire, and give us mom and dad Reed and Sue, and have the kids running around. Or the FF could have vanished, and then comes back, though that has man of out time stuff that was already in the Cap films.

Cythereal posted:

CineD found this.

That's the best trailer yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
We know what superheroes are but they don't actually exist irl

We know what superheroes are irl therefore they must have at least existed in some point in the past irl

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

The fact Tony says "Suggest I am a super hero, which would be awesome" implies that super heroes are a thing in the Marvel Universe, and that easily could mean that between Cap and Iron Man there have been people will powers or super science over the decades, probably working for SHIELD or being forgotten/sweap under the carpet by them. Sentry could have easily existed.

I actually was thinking if the FF made it into the MCU, have then being active in the past, only to retire, and give us mom and dad Reed and Sue, and have the kids running around. Or the FF could have vanished, and then comes back, though that has man of out time stuff that was already in the Cap films.

That's the best trailer yet.

Or that the MCU has super hero comic books, cartoons, or movies already. I mean the real world doesn't have superheroes either, but if someone says that, people know what they mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Marvel universe occasionally references Batman/Superman/ect existing as comics and vice-versa so just assume Tony was talking about Batman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I asusmed that they were talking about someone like Cap existing, because he's clearly someone that is a historical figure and would certainly be considered a Superhero. I guess i read more into it than it was.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I asusmed that they were talking about someone like Cap existing, because he's clearly someone that is a historical figure and would certainly be considered a Superhero. I guess i read more into it than it was.

Yeah, there's an exhibit about him in the Smithsonian and Coulson in Avengers refers to Cap as the world's first superhero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: ... Why did this quote something in a completely different threat?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So The Sentry is meant to be tongue in cheek, right? Like the idea of the coolest guy to ever live being inserted into the background of everyone in the MU at the drop of a hat has to be a joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

So The Sentry is meant to be tongue in cheek, right? Like the idea of the coolest guy to ever live being inserted into the background of everyone in the MU at the drop of a hat has to be a joke.

Sentry was intended to be a little tongue-in-cheek but not entirely. The idea was that he was this Superman character who *completely vanished* and the story was about how and why that happened, with the eventual outcome being "he returns to retirement and it's a sacrifice."

Except of course the character was popular so we gotta forget all that and bring him into the mainline universe, devaluing the original story entirely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's also strong indications that he might just be an insane alcoholic for the first issue or so. The character has really strong substance abuse metaphors tied to him.

My favorite part of the story is that almost all the angst that made the Marvel characters stand out from their 2-dimensional DC counterparts in the early days is due to the absence of Sentry from the world. It's like, oh, if Superman was in Marvel, Peter Parker's luck wouldn't have been quite so lovely, the Hulk wouldn't have been quite so feared, etc. I thought that was an interesting bit of meta-text.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That sounds really funny, I think I'll give it a try. The idea of Superman existing in Marvel, making the universe better, and then suddenly not existing forcing Marvel back into a cynical box is inherently comedic. And a little touching. Like it's kinda sweet that Superman inherently makes a universe brighter just by being there.

I hate when a character gets so popular that they have to destroy their character arc though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's not really funny at all so I'm not sure where you're getting that. It's not meant to be funny either. It deals with some serious heavy issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original Sentry mini is more of a mystery as Bob tries to find out why/how he was erased from everyone's memories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Sentry is not funny. It has some tongue-in-cheek elements but it isn't a comedy at all. It's honestly depressing with a little bit of touching.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The second Sentry mini is more of a satire considering there are bits where they go through the different ages of comics and have the Sentry change to fit them.

The second Sentry mini isn't as good as the first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Honestly, I only know the Sentry from his roles in Dark Reign and Seige, and a little bit of the preceding Avengers Dissaembled. That was when he was a loving mess and barely keeping it together.

Though I might as well ask this but I'll spoiler it Was the Void ever real or what it just in Bob's head and manifested itself at the end of Siege out of Bob's body, becuase he believed that the Void was inside of him, but it was just his mental illness?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 19, 2016

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Sentry was a really interesting concept that worked best in the very narrow focus of the mini-series and way less so in the larger continuity. Blue Marvel is a better "lost" hero to my mind.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I just looked up Blue Marvel because I'd never heard of him before. That does sound like a far more interesting character to have continue appearing in comics. Is he in any ongoings right now?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Xinder posted:

I just looked up Blue Marvel because I'd never heard of him before. That does sound like a far more interesting character to have continue appearing in comics. Is he in any ongoings right now?

He's in the Ultimates currently as resident science guy/powerhouse, and was a big part of the pre-secret wars Mighty Avengers run

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Thanks, I might check it out.

Unrelated: I just looked up Irredeemable on wikipedia to see how the issues were arranged in the trades and I found this

wikipedia posted:

On May 5, 2016, Deadline announced that 20th Century Fox is making a film adaptation of the comic book written by Tommy Wirkola and directed by Adam McKay.

I don't know whether I should be excited?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly, I only know the Sentry from his roles in Dark Reign and Seige, and a little bit of the preceding Avengers Dissaembled. That was when he was a loving mess and barely keeping it together.

Though I might as well ask this but I'll spoiler it Was the Void ever real or what it just in Bob's head and manifested itself at the end of Siege out of Bob's body, becuase he believed that the Void was inside of him, but it was just his mental illness?

Your spoiler tag is hosed.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Xinder posted:

Thanks, I might check it out.

Unrelated: I just looked up Irredeemable on wikipedia to see how the issues were arranged in the trades and I found this

I don't know whether I should be excited?

Basically every comic book is in theory having a film adaptation being made of it at all times. Generally, unless actors get cast in it, it's probably not happening. There's that Wicked + Divine TV adaptation that's been dead for a while, I think basically every Mark Millar book has a movie deal at this point, etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mover posted:

He's in the Ultimates currently as resident science guy/powerhouse, and was a big part of the pre-secret wars Mighty Avengers run

Blue Marvel is a good choice, because you get a good character who's a super smart person of colour.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Everyone should be reading Ultimates, it's an amazing book all around.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kingtheninja posted:

Everyone should be reading Ultimates, it's an amazing book all around.

I read the first three and it was kind of garbo has it picked up?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

muscles like this? posted:

The second Sentry mini is more of a satire considering there are bits where they go through the different ages of comics and have the Sentry change to fit them.

The second Sentry mini isn't as good as the first.

I assume you mean the third Sentry Mini.

The first Sentry mini was by Jenkins with Jae Lee Art And was his first apperance.
The second Sentry mini is also by Jenkins but with John Romita Jr. Art. It's a decent story and came about after Bendis' arc in New Avengers. It explores Bob's past and if he is just crazy.
The third Sentry Mini (The Ages of Sentry) is the crazy Satire series by Jeff Parker which has Reed Richards theorize that the Sentry is a walking paradox who warps reality and history around himself all the time so any and all interpretations of his character can be true. I really liked it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I think Bendis was trying to imply that the Void always existed, and the Sentry was the fake identity. Its hard to tell because his writing went to poo poo around that time.

I think Bendis early take on Sentry was interesting tho, and I've heard great things about Parker's run. Jenkins take on the character has an ignoble end.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sion posted:

If you didn't like the first three you won't like the rest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have no idea who to trust about this new Ghostbusters movie. Lots of people saying it's really bad, other people saying it's super great. Ever since I learned people in CD like to say the Star Wars Prequels are good movies I just can't trust anyone's opinions anymore.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

The Question IRL posted:

The third Sentry Mini (The Ages of Sentry) is the crazy Satire series by Jeff Parker which has Reed Richards theorize that the Sentry is a walking paradox who warps reality and history around himself all the time so any and all interpretations of his character can be true. I really liked it.

Then I guess I'll read this one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

I have no idea who to trust about this new Ghostbusters movie. Lots of people saying it's really bad, other people saying it's super great. Ever since I learned people in CD like to say the Star Wars Prequels are good movies I just can't trust anyone's opinions anymore.

I liked it. Also it makes MRAs really, really angry

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Ghostbusters is really not bad. The humor might not be to your particular taste but it's largely well executed and the biggest problem is that it has some wonky editing. It's not an Instant Classic on the level of the original but it has some good laughs and strong chemistry between the actors. It's a solid comedy even if I didn't personally like every joke.

Like I'd classify it as a "a good night out." Everyone I know who saw it enjoyed it though so YMMV. v:shobon:v

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Ghostbusters is really not bad. The humor might not be to your particular taste but it's largely well executed and the biggest problem is that it has some wonky editing. It's not an Instant Classic on the level of the original but it has some good laughs and strong chemistry between the actors. It's a solid comedy even if I didn't personally like every joke.

Like I'd classify it as a "a good night out." Everyone I know who saw it enjoyed it though so YMMV. v:shobon:v

That's reassuring. There's nothing more miserable than a bad comedy, and I really like everyone involved in this film, so it'd make me really sad if I went to see it and just hated it.

Retro Futurist posted:

I liked it. Also it makes MRAs really, really angry

I can enjoy the MRAs getting their panties in a bunch without watching the film tho.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sion posted:

Do you mean first three issues of the current run, or you've read the first three series?

Because the current Ultimates series has nothing to do with the previous ones.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I saw Ghostbusters on Saturday, it's ok. Of the five movies I've seen this year I'd probably rank it at #3.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really have any particular desire to see it since Bridesmaids and Spy didn't do a whole lot for me but I hope it's massively successful just to annoy MRAs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As a big Ghostbusters fan, and a big fan of some of the people in the film like Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones, I'd give the movie a 6/10. I was disappointed in it because it turned into too much of an action comedy. The last act of the movie is absolutely ridiculous and over the top in a bad way and there were too many times where jokes were forced where they weren't needed. It's neither a great movie like some people are proclaiming nor is it a pile of poo poo like most are saying. It's just a mediocre film. I thought Leslie's character was actually the most grounded and relatable one in the movie and I know a lot of people were worried about that going in but she turned out to be my favorite part of the film. Kristin Wiig strangely has almost no noticeable presence in the film. She's just kind of there. Her character isn't really that great. Kate McKinnon will probably be the one that splits most people. I liked her quite a bit but I have a feeling she's going to be way too out there for some people. Melissa McCarthy was fine in this movie, as she in most movies when she's not trying too hard. I think the big character miss of the movie for me was Hemsworth as I didn't find his stupidity funny at all, just stupid. Stupid characters can be funny when done right, his is just stupid for stupid's sake though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leslie Jones' character, based on the trailers, seemed obnoxious. I hope that was just because of the trailers. Like it seemed very stereotypical.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even people who hated the movie said Leslie Jones was the most relatable character and performance in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Codependent Poster posted:

Do you mean first three issues of the current run, or you've read the first three series?

Because the current Ultimates series has nothing to do with the previous ones.

first three issues of the current run where they turn galactus into the lifebringer?

• Locked thread