Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Polnareff should have died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Polnareff should have died

Because you like Kak more, or is there another reason?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Moltrey posted:

Every day I wake up and whisper a silent prayer that while it took a while, we got a good JoJo anime relatively painlessly while I don't even know how many Berserk adaptations there are that people are unhappy with

At this point just one - the new anime makes the CG in the movies look downright decent. The movies were always secretly good though despite the whiners.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

Because you like Kak more, or is there another reason?

I didn't mean instead of Kakyoin. Kakyoin dying was fine because he did something great as his final act and it ruled extremely hard. Joseph staying dead would have made a lot of sense too imo. Polnareff surviving felt weird to me because effectively three characters were sacrificed to save him and then he didn't even accomplish much against ZA WARLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Avdol had to die because his powers were too strong to write around.

Iggy had to die because it was Part 3 and Araki couldn't suffer a dog to live.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Spoiler, nothing bad ever happens to Koichi's dog.

Guess Araki must've finally mellowed out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quite apropos that Police doesn't die, all things considered

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

hoobajoo posted:

I'm interested in this, could you elaborate?
Oh, it's not like a super nuanced opinion or anything, I just like Kakyoin and feel like it's messed up a 17 year old died in a water tower alone in Cario after he finally had friends for the first time in his life. I really would've just liked a happy ending for him and on a first read of Part 3, it felt weird that a character with (at the time) a fully completed arc got to come back, but three of our other good friends got to stay dead with very little fanfare. With Part 4 in perspective, I totally wouldn't not want Joseph there for that, but man it'd be cool if Kakyoin got to be happy. Obviously there's not much more Araki could do for his character unless it got super weird and actually had him like marry Holly in place of Jotaro's constantly absent father or something and while that's fun to goof about, naaaaah.

I've made some post in one of these JoJo threads wondering if maybe Polnareff's arc would be better if he was the one to actually die saving Iggy, considering how much was on him having to get saved by his friends for his mistakes. While it's fun to think about, I doubt it'd actually be Better, but I'm not a super big fan of Polnareff or even Joseph really, so it's just a lot of "please kakyoin :ohno:" Like even in New Kakyoin's story mode for the Part 3 arcade fighter, it's either implied or stated that even though he survives the fight with DIO, he dies on the plane home from his wounds, like cut the guy a break jesus. gently caress you Joseph and magic vampire blood, let this kid live.

EmmyOk posted:

FWIW it has a very natural stopping point before the newest arc but I can totally understand not wanting to get into it!
Oh yeah, I'm totally watching HxH now, it's good, but yeah considering there are like 30 chapters in between where the anime fishes and where the manga ends, I can't really see myself keeping up with it, despite what I've heard just happened is Cool As gently caress. So I'll probably wait another 25 years for Madhouse to animate the rest of HxH/

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's no coincidence that Egypt is super good and that Kak skips it.
Polnareff is a much better foil to Jotaro and a fun character tomread and watch. Egypt being good is in no small part to extra Polnareff. There's no where to go for Kakyoin's "is a weirdo and a bit of a loser" arc other than where it did.

My boy and good friend DIO icing him was the best end he could have had and he got it. Thanks DIO for being you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wasn't actually that hot on either Polnareff or Joseph (old or young) to be honest. They were fine characters and I like the SDC ensemble a lot but Kakyoin was my favourite non-Jotaro crusader. Kakyoin's death was sad but it had weight to it and though it was depressing it worked well. It showed how powerful and disorienting DIO's Stand was for the crusaders to deal with, and Kakyoin also effectively won the day for them. Polnareff felt weird to me because it felt like he was repeatedly saved for no pay-off either emotionally or in the narrative. After the DIO episodes begin he basically does nothing apart from the eyepoke that doesn't really change events at all. DIO healed from it perfectly fine and Jotaro's plan worked just fine, arguably it was harder considering he had to stop his heart longer. Am I incorrectly remembering this sequence? He also got his vengeance for his sister quite a while beforehand so it felt like his character didn't carry that much weight later on particularly after Avdol's revival. It would have been too grim having only Jotaro survive perhaps but still.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Polnareff was the heart of the group and I'm glad he survived.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You only like him cos 100% he made the "see food" joke off screen at some point.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I didn't mean instead of Kakyoin. Kakyoin dying was fine because he did something great as his final act and it ruled extremely hard. Joseph staying dead would have made a lot of sense too imo. Polnareff surviving felt weird to me because effectively three characters were sacrificed to save him and then he didn't even accomplish much against ZA WARLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Polnareff attacking when he does essentially saves Jotaro's life, or at least makes his heart stop gambit pay off big time, so it's not nothing. I get your point though, both Polnareff's and Kakyoin's arcs are completed by the end of SDC, but Pol lives while Kak dies. I'm totally on board with the alternate reality where Pol sacrifices himself and Iggy lives on, but I like Iggy more than most I'd wager, so whatever. I gotta disagree on Joseph dying, him coming back from the grave to troll his grandson is amazing, and I'd be too sad if Holly lost both her awesome father and her high school boy toy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lizard Wizard posted:

No no no, I mean JUST Jotaro punching DIO's skull.

jeez, so demanding...

https://my.mixtape.moe/xaswmm.webm

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did Dio's skull always have a heart on it, or is that something that happened after he fused with Jonathan?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3kuoJE6fPA

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
One thing the OVA actually did improve on over the manga was having Polnareff ambush DIO right after Jotaro did his heart trick.

It didn't at all invalidate what Jotaro did and it made Polnareff contribute to the fight by buying a chance for Jotaro to deliver the blow to DIO's head, and if there was one non-racecar thing I wish the anime kept from the OVA it was that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

here's the same as a gif if anyone wants that

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The proper version of this is legitimately as good as if not better than Zeppelli Roundabout

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:smith:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

e: Hugging the two hands just seems farcical to me

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

EmmyOk posted:

lol

e: Hugging the two hands just seems farcical to me

That's all that was left of him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How about you burn them in his honor

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

As someone who didn't read the manga beforehand, Avdol's death was pretty disarming. :ocelot:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

That's all that was left of him.

Vanilla Ice ate those immediately afterwards.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's no coincidence that Egypt is super good and that Kak skips it.
Polnareff is a much better foil to Jotaro and a fun character tomread and watch. Egypt being good is in no small part to extra Polnareff. There's no where to go for Kakyoin's "is a weirdo and a bit of a loser" arc other than where it did.

My boy and good friend DIO icing him was the best end he could have had and he got it. Thanks DIO for being you.

Kakyoin is really the odd man out of the crusaders because he's kind of defined by being this nothing character. It's even something of a reoccurring joke that nobody really knows who the guy is. Is Kakyoin the kind of guy who'd suplex a dude out of nowhere, or is this an impostor? Well, in that specific circumstance it was an impostor, but real Kakyoin might have suplexed the guy just the same. Is Kakyoin trustworthy when he says the baby is trying to get them killed, or is he crazy? Well, it turns out he isn't crazy, but because none of the other crusaders no what his deal is they don't trust him, regardless.

By the time the audience learns what his deal is the series is just about over, and by that point it's mostly empty pathos.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Kakyoin is really the odd man out of the crusaders because he's kind of defined by being this nothing character. It's even something of a reoccurring joke that nobody really knows who the guy is. Is Kakyoin the kind of guy who'd suplex a dude out of nowhere, or is this an impostor? Well, in that specific circumstance it was an impostor, but real Kakyoin might have suplexed the guy just the same. Is Kakyoin trustworthy when he says the baby is trying to get them killed, or is he crazy? Well, it turns out he isn't crazy, but because none of the other crusaders no what his deal is they don't trust him, regardless.

By the time the audience learns what his deal is the series is just about over, and by that point it's mostly empty pathos.

MODS!?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The worst thing about Part 3 is that the only people in the crew that really get any decent screen time and moments to themselves are the three people that survive at the end. It's hard to care about Avdol dying either time because he's barely been a thing in the story at all. Same from Cherry Boy, who gets Death 13 and nothing else really. Polneraff gets multiple fights just to himself to the point that he's kind of the protagonist for a lot of the middle parts of part 3. They're just kind of filler characters to the point I think it would have been way cooler to stick with that one idea where Hol Horse swaps on the bad guys and joins team Hero. He'd at least have more than 0 personality.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The worst thing about Part 3 is that the only people in the crew that really get any decent screen time and moments to themselves are the three people that survive at the end. It's hard to care about Avdol dying either time because he's barely been a thing in the story at all. Same from Cherry Boy, who gets Death 13 and nothing else really. Polneraff gets multiple fights just to himself to the point that he's kind of the protagonist for a lot of the middle parts of part 3. They're just kind of filler characters to the point I think it would have been way cooler to stick with that one idea where Hol Horse swaps on the bad guys and joins team Hero. He'd at least have more than 0 personality.

tower of gray too

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He's also the reason Polneraff ddidn't get killed by Hol Horse and J. Geil and is also the one to thwart J. Geil's plan to use the beggars to kill Poleraff.

He doesn't get many one-on-one fights but it's not like he did nothing.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I like what I like

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The reason Jotaro, Joseph, and Polnareff feel the most developed is because they're the three characters that stick the most with the series. Avdol is "killed off" for half of it, Kak is benched for half, and Iggy doesn't show up until half-way through. I don't think it's really a matter of getting fights either, because Joseph only has two fights where he's the protagonist, but he's almost always around and contributes all the time, be it through being a Speedwagon or with trying to help turn the battle around.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kakyoin also helps when Polnareff drove their jeep off a cliff to their death so I Stand With Kak

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 20, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just to clarify, I'm not arguing that Kakyoin doesn't do anything, just that no one knows anything about him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I, the viewer, know that he is a good, strong boy with great character who is cool. I cared deeply about Good Boy Noriaki Kakyoin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I felt bad for Kak, always being doubted by the group. :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The objectively best Crusader is Iggy. The smartest, most powerful and bravest of them all. Godspeed, poo poo Dog.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kakyoin always tried his best and that's all I need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

following right now

• Locked thread