Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Why couldnt baby Trunks fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he knew better

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dr.acula posted:

Why couldnt baby Trunks fly?

Saiyan blood works like homeopathy, the more dilute it becomes the more potent it is. Pan is 1/2 Satan, but only 1/4 Saiyan.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pan has just the right blood to be awesome. She's 100% Saiyaman, and from that 100%, 25% Mr. Satan, thus she has the most powerful genes she could ever hope for and due to that displays amazing feats of strength as her grandfather, Tenkaichi Budokai champion and world saviour Mister Satan, is well known for, plus has the potential to make heroic poses of justice that surpass either of her parents and become a true Hero in her future as the Great Saiyaman V3.

She's also 1/4th some alien race no one cares about. It doesn't really matter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gohan is generally considered to have the highest battle potential out of any of the Z-Fighers. He just doesn't give a poo poo about fighting. And Videl (was) probably the strongest human who wasn't a member of the Z fighters. She went from not knowing anything about Ki to learning how to fly in like 2 weeks or some poo poo.

Is it really that Surprising that his Kid is going to have a ton of power?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's generally accepted that Goten and Trunks had no problem unlocking SSJ because Goku and Vegeta had unlocked that before conceiving them, right? So SSJ2 and/or Mystic Gohan with Ki Proficient Videl is some top tier eugenics recipe

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Super Pan was born with God Ki.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

she learned how to control her ki from the god ritual.

basically a nen baptism but w/ super saiyan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth remembering that, yeah, Pan was a Super Saiyan before she was born.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Heck, depending on how inter-species biology works between saiyans and humans she might've been pure of heart before having a heart

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Seeing Videl go pure demure housewife is still jarring to me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pan has just the right blood to be awesome. She's 100% Saiyaman, and from that 100%, 25% Mr. Satan, thus she has the most powerful genes she could ever hope for and due to that displays amazing feats of strength as her grandfather, Tenkaichi Budokai champion and world saviour Mister Satan, is well known for, plus has the potential to make heroic poses of justice that surpass either of her parents and become a true Hero in her future as the Great Saiyaman V3.

She's also 1/4th some alien race no one cares about. It doesn't really matter.

Pan will team up with Bra as the real power houses of the next part of Super.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

StrifeHira posted:

...gently caress. A completely missed opportunity. We never got to see Saiyaman fight Ginyu. drat it Super!

Nothing could have pleased me more seeing Ginyu give Gohan a stern lesson during the midst of battle about the majesty of fighting poses.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

More than Android 18?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rutibex posted:

More than Android 18?

She already seemed to like shopping more than fighting anyway

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Pureauthor posted:

To be fair Gohan works all the time and Pan is a baby so we'll see.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

She already seemed to like shopping more than fighting anyway

Was the Android 18 from Trunks timeline programmed differently or something? Because it seems to me they are the exact same person, and the only reason this Android 18 didn't genocide humanity was because she never had the opportunity.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rutibex posted:

More than Android 18?

She's still pretty standoffish to anyone who isn't Krillin or Marron, though.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Was the Android 18 from Trunks timeline programmed differently or something? Because it seems to me they are the exact same person, and the only reason this Android 18 didn't genocide humanity was because she never had the opportunity.

It was stated somewhere that in Trunks' timeline, Gero had more time to work on 17 and 18's programming and made them murder-happy instead of just kinda anti-social. Presumably he also limited their power output to keep them from rebelling on him? Didn't seem to work out, but yeah, the Future Androids were programmed to be way more blood thirsty.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

17+18 were activated early in "our" timeline. in Trunks' they got more programming but still rebelled

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also 17 didn't get 16 to act as a big bro towards so he was probably way less chill just from that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Goku was already dead in that timeline too, so Future 17 and 18 were programmed with a purpose that was literally impossible to fulfill.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Goku was already dead in that timeline too, so Future 17 and 18 were programmed with a purpose that was literally impossible to fulfill.

If Goku was already dead why didn't Dr Gero just retire? :psyduck:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Rutibex posted:

If Goku was already dead why didn't Dr Gero just retire? :psyduck:

Red Ribbion army man, no Goku means it's back to world domination

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He also wanted to take over the world or something. That was the stated goal of the original Red Ribbon Army at any rate (Beyond Red's silly wish about being taller).

e;fb

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think the main difference between 18 and Videl lies in personality. Videl marrying has completely stripped her of her personality for some reason, she's basically "Gohan's wife/Pan's mother" with literally nothing else, a far cry from what she was in the Buu Saga that can't really be explained in any way other than bad writing. Every scene we've had of 18 shows that she's still aloof, still loves money, is more than willing to bully Satan for cash, and overall still has a very clear, strong personality even if she doesn't directly partake in combat in spite of her capabilities (stated in both Resurrection "F" and Super's adaptation of the same to be higher than Krillin's).

Basically the moment Videl marries, she goes from a character to a non-entity. The moment 18 marries, she replaces her teenager traits with love for her family while keeping everything else (if anything, her greed seems to only increase post-marriage...but then again, Krillin didn't get a job until years after they married, she was keeping the family up on her own).

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think the main difference between 18 and Videl lies in personality. Videl marrying has completely stripped her of her personality for some reason, she's basically "Gohan's wife/Pan's mother" with literally nothing else, a far cry from what she was in the Buu Saga that can't really be explained in any way other than bad writing. Every scene we've had of 18 shows that she's still aloof, still loves money, is more than willing to bully Satan for cash, and overall still has a very clear, strong personality even if she doesn't directly partake in combat in spite of her capabilities (stated in both Resurrection "F" and Super's adaptation of the same to be higher than Krillin's).

Basically the moment Videl marries, she goes from a character to a non-entity. The moment 18 marries, she replaces her teenager traits with love for her family while keeping everything else (if anything, her greed seems to only increase post-marriage...but then again, Krillin didn't get a job until years after they married, she was keeping the family up on her own).

Actually this is the primary complaint I have had with the writing thus far. Videl was such a cool character, one of my fave new characters, and it was sad to see her Just Housewifey. Like, they could even make that an interesting arc, like how Videl chills out or why she doesn't actively participate in any fighting or whatever. It is a bit stale. Being housewifey isn't bad, just... demure? idgi.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lupus Rufus posted:

Actually this is the primary complaint I have had with the writing thus far. Videl was such a cool character, one of my fave new characters, and it was sad to see her Just Housewifey. Like, they could even make that an interesting arc, like how Videl chills out or why she doesn't actively participate in any fighting or whatever. It is a bit stale. Being housewifey isn't bad, just... demure? idgi.

Maybe having the poo poo beat out of her by Spopovich and being eaten by Majin Buu made her think that violence isn't cool? She seems to be pretty subdued even by the end of the Buu saga.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 20, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

She likely only fought because she had to live up to her father's legacy and she found out his legacy is basically all her husband's.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gohan caused her to cut her hair and I shall never forgive him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

El Burbo posted:

Gohan caused her to cut her hair and I shall never forgive him.

:same:

Life just isn't the same anymore.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Controversial opinion but Videl was never that cool in the first place. :twisted:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Controversial opinion but Videl was never that cool in the first place. :twisted:

I'm not mad

Just disappointed

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Rutibex posted:

Maybe having the poo poo beat out of her by Spopovich and being eaten by Majin Buu made her think that violence isn't cool? She seems to be pretty subdued even by the end of the Buu saga.

...actually good point. that might cause some PTSD if that was her very first participation in the Budokai. That... yeah.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

mabels big day posted:

She got the absolute gently caress beaten out of her and she still wouldnt give up you need to at least give her that

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Lupus Rufus posted:

...actually good point. that might cause some PTSD if that was her very first participation in the Budokai. That... yeah.

Videl was apparently the Junior Champ.

But I'm pretty sure Videl never snapped someone's neck with a kick before. And then watch them snap it back into place. :stonk:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Videl was the core of one of my favorite scenes in the series, where Gohan teaches her to fly, so she is cool in my book.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Lupus Rufus posted:

Except when she's talking to Chi Chi and Bulma in super she says she likes doing martial arts so I doubt it's that.

dr.acula posted:

She got the absolute gently caress beaten out of her and she still wouldnt give up you need to at least give her that

Got pissed off and broke a guys neck too and she didn't know he was superhuman either.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StrifeHira posted:

Videl was apparently the Junior Champ.

But I'm pretty sure Videl never snapped someone's neck with a kick before. And then watch them snap it back into place. :stonk:

Also, unlike most people on Earth she does not have the benefit of having her memory of the Buu saga erased. She remembers Vegita disintegrating a crowd of people for fun, she remembers towns being eaten alive (do the people Buu turns into candy feel it when eaten, or was that just Vegito that could do that?), she remembers the extinction of all life on Earth!

I can see why, after a few days hanging out with the Z Fighters, that she wants nothing to do with any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
At best Videl got the Good End like Gohan and her story is wrapped up to Toriyama so she doesn't have a role anymore.

At worst its typical Japanese attitudes toward women

• Locked thread