Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Selklubber posted:

Lololololol
apparently there's a difference between being annoyed with the cashier and posting about getting revenge on her on the stores Facebook page.

I'm a bit confused on how that's revenge.
Is she implying that she was the person who posted that review? Then why would she also add "I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE" at the end? Or is gracie just using the wrong word?

e: New Page

Postal Parcel has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Is she implying that she was the person who posted that review? Then why would she also add "I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE" at the end? Or is gracie just using the wrong word?

e: New Page

Another person posted a different complaint on the Facebook page, she's mad because hers got removed.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Lol. That's pretty funny. Was that part of a Photoshop phriday?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't understand the difference between the types, so am I correct in assuming they can't possibly exist in one person at once? Like one is too much insulin and the other is not enough?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Postal Parcel posted:

See her weird rant a couple of pages back about how she didn't like how one cashier looked at another.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't understand the difference between the types, so am I correct in assuming they can't possibly exist in one person at once? Like one is too much insulin and the other is not enough?

By my extremely shaky understanding, Type 1 means you don't produce enough insulin, Type 2 means that your body is so used to having insulin in its system that it develops a resistance.

So no, I don't think it's very likely for someone to develop both.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Christo posted:

By my extremely shaky understanding, Type 1 means you don't produce enough insulin, Type 2 means that your body is so used to having insulin in its system that it develops a resistance.

So no, I don't think it's very likely for someone to develop both.

Yeah, this is about right. Insulin is a hormone that's used by your body to control the amount of glucose (which is a vital energy for your body's cells) in your bloodstream: it bonds to cells and basically acts like a key in the lock, letting glucose be absorbed by them. If you have too much sugar, it gets stored in your liver as a reserve. Your body ideally generates insulin when necessary to make sure that your body doesn't get too much or too little sugar.

Type 2 was called "adult-onset diabetes" for a while, and it's the one that people semi-jokingly associate with eating too much sugar: the insulin-producing cells get overworked and your body eventually stops responding to insulin (which can be genetic or caused by poor diet). Type 1 diabetes is where your body kills the insulin-producing cells, typically while you're still a fetus in the womb. If you ended up with both types of diabetes, you'd probably die because you're not producing insulin AND can't accept it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Type 1 is when your immune system decides to gently caress up your pancreas and therefore your insulin production, while type 2 is when your body builds up a tolerance for insulin, reducing its effectiveness. Double diabetes is a thing that exists, but I don't know how GMO insulin could specifically be the cause. Incidentally, practically all insulin used for modern treatment is GMO insulin, which has supplanted the previous practice of using animal insulin.

The full text of the study is available online. I'm far from an expert, but from a cursory reading, there's some definite dishonesty in that infographic.

-Each patient in the trial was already at an elevated risk for developing type 1 diabetes
-The insulin autoimmune response is almost exclusive to Japan, where childhood type 1 diabetes is significantly rarer
-Using recombinant human (GMO) insulin has absolutely nothing to do with the effect, and it had the same occurrence when animal insulin was the standard

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kajeesus posted:

-Each patient in the trial was already at an elevated risk for developing type 1 diabetes
-The insulin autoimmune response is almost exclusive to Japan, where childhood type 1 diabetes is significantly rarer
-Using recombinant human (GMO) insulin has absolutely nothing to do with the effect, and it had the same occurrence when animal insulin was the standard

That's the odd part. Bottled insulin is made from pigs, so it's as natural as getting a baboon heart. The GMO is probably closer to 'natural' or at the very least no more unnatural. And one of the biggest griefs about GMO is the risk of seed replicating and destroying or out-competing regular crops. Even if GMO insulin turned out to be terrible, it can't spread outside your body and if it did cause Double Diabetes, we could just stop using it.

I'm going to guess GMO insulin is significantly cheaper than bottled insulin, which is one of the most expensive fluids out there.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's the odd part. Bottled insulin is made from pigs, so it's as natural as getting a baboon heart. The GMO is probably closer to 'natural' or at the very least no more unnatural. And one of the biggest griefs about GMO is the risk of seed replicating and destroying or out-competing regular crops. Even if GMO insulin turned out to be terrible, it can't spread outside your body and if it did cause Double Diabetes, we could just stop using it.

I'm going to guess GMO insulin is significantly cheaper than bottled insulin, which is one of the most expensive fluids out there.

You assume that most of the people who complain about "GMO" on social media know what it is beyond a vague :byodood: it's unnatural :byodood:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

His campaign started with him belittling war heroes.

yeah but half of this topic is belittling people who glorify are veterans

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I for one am grateful that modern science allows my lovely body to continue operating.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Even the edgiest posters here would probably not criticize John McCain for being a POW.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

His campaign started with him belittling war heroes.

Which war hero? McCain? To be fair, McCain was a terrible pilot.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if he was so great he wouldn't have gotten captured

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

But we're also not running for president.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, this is about right. Insulin is a hormone that's used by your body to control the amount of glucose (which is a vital energy for your body's cells) in your bloodstream: it bonds to cells and basically acts like a key in the lock, letting glucose be absorbed by them. If you have too much sugar, it gets stored in your liver as a reserve. Your body ideally generates insulin when necessary to make sure that your body doesn't get too much or too little sugar.

Type 2 was called "adult-onset diabetes" for a while, and it's the one that people semi-jokingly associate with eating too much sugar: the insulin-producing cells get overworked and your body eventually stops responding to insulin (which can be genetic or caused by poor diet). Type 1 diabetes is where your body kills the insulin-producing cells, typically while you're still a fetus in the womb. If you ended up with both types of diabetes, you'd probably die because you're not producing insulin AND can't accept it.

There's a type 3 diabetes called "surgical diabetes" whereby se surgery or another has damaged or removed parts of the pancreas and your body can't produce enough insulin. In effect, it's very similar to type I

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

unwantedplatypus posted:

There's a type 3 diabetes called "surgical diabetes" whereby se surgery or another has damaged or removed parts of the pancreas and your body can't produce enough insulin. In effect, it's very similar to type I

My mom actually got that! She had her gallbladder removed in 2010 after finding out that she had undiagnosed gallstones that led to pancreatitis, and then spent the next 6 years not knowing she had an umbilical hernia after the surgery until she ended up hospitalized a month ago. When she got into the hospital the second time, they found that she had actually been diabetic from the 2010 surgery this whole time and we never noticed. I had to help her figure out how to work her new glucose meter and lancing device when she got out.

My girlfriend and I also used the meter out of curiosity to test our blood sugar, just to see if we were normal. It does hurt more than you'd expect such a tiny needle to.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

unwantedplatypus posted:

My favorite that I just learned about is glucose intolerance. All the fun of diabetes, none of the treatments!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There's a fairly significant body of research on people doubling down on their beliefs to avoid embarrassment when presented with factual evidence to the contrary (the "backfire effect") too. :( It's insanely depressing when you think about it, and I think it's something we, and psychology academia, should be putting much more emphasis on understanding and counteracting.

I've seen it happen with young-earth creationists and the like.
:byodood: I believe that the universe is 6000 years old and all life descends from the animals on Noah's Ark.
:science: Here's a ton of simple, objective, unbiased evidence that conclusively proves all of that to be astonishingly wrong.
:byodood: Thank you so much! Because of those articles I have strengthened my faith and now believe even harder than before in Noah's Ark.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Stoatbringer posted:

I've seen it happen with young-earth creationists and the like.
:byodood: I believe that the universe is 6000 years old and all life descends from the animals on Noah's Ark.
:science: Here's a ton of simple, objective, unbiased evidence that conclusively proves all of that to be astonishingly wrong.
:byodood: Thank you so much! Because of those articles I have strengthened my faith and now believe even harder than before in Noah's Ark.

A lot of American evangelicals think that 'faith' means believing in something DESPITE mountains of evidence to the contrary. So the more evidence you present, the more you make their case. It is not about logic.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How could the word of God ever be wrong? *slowly sweeps old testament under the rug*

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ularg posted:

How could the word of God ever be wrong? *slowly sweeps old testament under the rug*

*except for the part whete I get to hate gays *

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

A lot of American evangelicals think that 'faith' means believing in something DESPITE mountains of evidence to the contrary. So the more evidence you present, the more you make their case. It is not about logic.

Yeah, I stopped trying when I finally realised that. :) They love evidence, because it just proves how much super-strength-faith they must have to keep on denying it. They'll get VIP seating in Heaven or something, I guess.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I found a gold mine of a source for new quotes.

quote:

The more victimized the subreddit is, the more they complain to admins. Admins look into it and ban who ever technically broke the rules. So basically, if you do something within a feminism-spectrum subreddit, you're likely to attract attention from reddit admins.

quote:

Feminism is a remarkably unpopular ideology in the general population. It only gets advanced because the elite keep trying to force it on everyone else. It has almost no support outside of elite, upper-class circles. More people despise feminism, than call themselves feminists.
But here on reddit, feminists seem to be a small majority, always capable of outvoting other groups (or maybe just getting a freer hand at brigading). If you disagree with feminism in any way, a deluge appears to downvote you. If you defend feminism, they crawl out of the woodwork.
Between the base and the admins, it's pretty clear that feminism is getting a lot of favoritism already.

quote:

basically, if they align with the ideals of the SRS cult, they're going to have the admins on their side

Edit:

Oh my God, :allears:

Ularg has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jul 19, 2016

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

I'm guessing there's already a DeviantArt gallery dedicated to just this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Stoatbringer posted:

I'm guessing there's already a DeviantArt gallery dedicated to just this.

My depictions are of this beinh done consentually, actually.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ularg posted:

I found a gold mine of a source for new quotes.

Sweet jumpin' Jesus, how enormous a piece of human garbage must you be to complain that Reddit is feminist :stare:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sweet jumpin' Jesus, how enormous a piece of human garbage must you be to complain that Reddit is feminist :stare:

It's like the dude who was ranting about how Fox News was too drat liberal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There are people who seriously complain that Imgur has been "taken over by SJWs". :shrug: It always seems to be a thing where the most bigoted people always feel like they're also the most oppressed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My terrible views are being called out as being terrible? HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My terrible views are being called out as being terrible? HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED!

That's what people do bow though. They think that all they're doing is having a perfectly valid opinion, then BAM a liberal slanders them by calling them racist! God, its hard to be a white Christian in America.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You assume that most of the people who complain about "GMO" on social media know what it is beyond a vague :byodood: it's unnatural :byodood:

A Jimmy Kimmel bit where he asked what a GMO is. Apparently a lot of people also can't spell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzEr23XJwFY

There's also a gluten video.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Hey look it's this lovely post again

http://imgur.com/gallery/x0EkC

Now you can enjoy it with the new Imgur theme !!!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

goose fleet posted:

the hell did they do to imgur?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

goose fleet posted:

Oh good lordy loo... Roko's Basilisk, a complete misrepresentation of Fermi's Paradox, and a heap of stuff that seems less "theory" and more "stuff someone thought up while on weed." Terrifying indeed.

These kids need to go outside more.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

the hell did they do to imgur?

the new redesign seems to put more emphasis on interacting with/posting to the community

i haven't figured out how to get to the direct link once i've uploaded an image anymore. it's gross and ugly and i've moved on to greener image hosts that will probably die someday

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Someone Awful! posted:

the new redesign seems to put more emphasis on interacting with/posting to the community

i haven't figured out how to get to the direct link once i've uploaded an image anymore. it's gross and ugly and i've moved on to greener image hosts that will probably die someday

After you upload, right-click the image and choose "copy image location" or whatever's relevant to your browser.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I can't wait for the awkward neckbeard posts directed at @sarah and claiming ____ about the community is now destroyed forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Absurd Alhazred posted:

After you upload, right-click the image and choose "copy image location" or whatever's relevant to your browser.

Hover on the little floating down-arrow and go to "Get share links".