Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the trumpian centipede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I can handle this never-ending avalanche of bizarre poo poo.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

I bet they picked some Trump supporting rube and told him they were gonna plagiarise him, so that he could deny that it was plagiarism and be all "you can't own a word, man". Then the Trump campaign could say "see if the guy we plagiarised said it wasn't plagiarism, we have deleted that word's meaning so shut up about it"

I don't know if this makes sense I have been drinking for a while

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
lets dispense with the notion that Frank Buckley doesnt know what hes doing

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Geert Wilders at the Twinks for Trump party.

Sir Tonk posted:

says the guy that went skinny dipping with William F Buckley.

the only way to reconcile the establishment and the alt-right is to have them bond over shared homoerotic interests

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Rick Reilly posted:

hahaha you thought you were paying for fresh content? hahahaha eat my rear end in a top hat, heres some recycled pablum. fuckeeerrrrrs ahahaha

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Al! posted:

It's technically plagiarism but not in a way anyone gives a poo poo about

It still took a wet poo poo all over what was otherwise the uncontested highlight of the evening.

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

By the time this is all over the tell-alls are going to have to be six volume sets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bryter posted:

I bet they picked some Trump supporting rube and told him they were gonna plagiarise him, so that he could deny that it was plagiarism and be all "you can't own a word, man". Then the Trump campaign could say "see if the guy we plagiarised said it wasn't plagiarism, we have deleted that word's meaning so shut up about it"

Nah that's exactly what I just posted. Its possible. :tinfoil:

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Geert Wilders at the Twinks for Trump party.

yes, yes, no, yes, yes

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
shrug, Bach did it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

smell this posted:

would would would would would

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I had work for the last 8 hours and no TV to watch the shitshow (ok, I did but I prefer sports because I don't want unpleasant convos at work). What did I miss?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

sarmhan posted:

I mean in an academic setting you would get in trouble for this because lazily repackaging your poo poo is a very bad thing.

As long as you rephrase and cite or quote and cite it's fine. Like, citing and describing your earlier studies is kind of critical when you are building on your own work.

Edit: and if you reused works not published it's also fine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

If he knew what he was doing he'd drop that little bomb tomorrow morning after the entire left was jerking off over another Trump megaboner, instead of at the first raised eyebrow

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Bryter posted:

yeah, I agree with this. It feels like a weird attempt to try and go "haha stupid liberal media you're being dumb."

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin

Consummate Professional posted:

The twinks thing is pretty gross imo

Fixed that for you

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
paul manafort is the hack to end all political hacks. bill loving kristol could run a better campaign because you could just do the opposite of what he said

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

iospace posted:

So I had work for the last 8 hours and no TV to watch the shitshow (ok, I did but I prefer sports because I don't want unpleasant convos at work). What did I miss?

Ben Carson went rogue, ignored the teleprompter and called HRC satan.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

zoux posted:

If he knew what he was doing he'd drop that little bomb tomorrow morning after the entire left was jerking off over another Trump megaboner, instead of at the first raised eyebrow

Yeah the networks might not even pick it up now.

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

iospace posted:

Well you see there's this show called My Little Pony...

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Wait, why didn't the Twinks for Trump party use the original campaign logo?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

paranoid randroid posted:

I hope he gets in a fight with gordon vidal

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sticking with the :tinfoil: this was bait for the media so they could act like Melania's thing was no big deal theory.

Yet it also gives people fuel to say "yeah turns out this is nothing, unlike what Melania pulled last night..."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yudo posted:

As long as you rephrase and cite or quote and cite it's fine. Like, citing and describing your earlier studies is kind of critical when you are building on your own work.
Yes. That's not what I said at all, nor is it what happened. The practice of dressing up the same research and publishing it 3 times in different journals is the problem I'm referencing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

iospace posted:

Chris Christie is literally Hitler.

Ben Carson wants everybody to know that democrats worship Lucifer.

Donald Trump Jr. gave a good speech that was also plagiarized like the speech Melania gave yesterday.

Some lady is both an actress AND a farmer, and that's important.

It was surreal.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Bryter posted:

it took me a read over but I get what you're saying

I mean mayyybe but imo it's easier to just assume there's no chess involved and this dude just wanted to sneak in this thing he was really proud of writing

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Buckley probably was the speechwriter, but they included that part last minute so the media would jump all over it and the Trump campaign would get to go SEE THE MEDIA BLOWS EVERYTHING OUT OF PROPORTION

Yes I do earnestly believe the Trumps to be that conspiratorial and incompetent.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

Sure! That too! I had completely forgotten about all that, so it's clearly working.

Goddam :(

Think about it--there are two days left in the convention and if this new little plagiarism incident pops up, however inconsequential it actually is, it's a narrative delivered to the media on a silver platter. The overarching theme of the convention goes from "Make America Great Again" to "We Literally Can't Stop loving Plagiarizing".

No, no one in Trump's corner will care, but those on the right who weren't will be further disenchanted and demoralized and the left will have yet another cudgel to bash him over the head with. All the while, Hillary can ride above the fray while Trump gets in Twitter slapfights with everyone who mocks Trumpfest 2016.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/755606105414303749

well, that's a relief

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/755598476440801280

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Sword and Sceptre posted:

Fixed that for you

The twink thing will be the least worst part of these four days.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b50i2jyU1vk

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schnorkles posted:

Ben Carson went rogue, ignored the teleprompter and called HRC satan.

You sure that was him going rogue? I mean is a "biblical expert", knowing what the pyramids were for.

MaxNV posted:

Well you see there's this show called My Little Pony...

Saw that before I left. Laughed all the way to work and was sad I couldn't share in laughter with my boss, who was out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Anyone that switched from Obama to Trump is either a Bernie deadender or is lying about the Obama part.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

sarmhan posted:

Yes. That's not what I said at all, nor is it what happened. The practice of dressing up the same research and publishing it 3 times in different journals is the problem I'm referencing.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, that will get you the axe.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

quote:

F.H. Buckley is a professor at George Mason Law School and the author of The Way Back: Restoring the Promise of America.

George Mason posted:

B. Plagiarism encompasses the following:

1. Presenting as one's own the words, the work, or the opinions of someone else without proper acknowledgment.

2. Borrowing the sequence of ideas, the arrangement of material, or the pattern of thought of someone else without proper acknowledgment.

Edit:

quote:

Plagiarism includes self-plagiarism, inadequate citation, false citation, and failure to adhere to citation forms set by the
professor.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 20, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the trump campaign cannot stop brutally self owning itself.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Venom Snake posted:

paul manafort is the hack to end all political hacks. bill loving kristol could run a better campaign because you could just do the opposite of what he said

Bill kristol is lying on a bathroom floor od'd on some pills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/755578947329548288

• Locked thread