Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

Just deleted the car payment scheduled transaction in YNAB, hid the budget category, and added a scheduled transaction to put that amount in savings for the next car (which is already a well funded category). :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

anitsirK posted:

Just deleted the car payment scheduled transaction in YNAB, hid the budget category, and added a scheduled transaction to put that amount in savings for the next car (which is already a well funded category). :feelsgood:

Noice.

pig slut lisa posted:

My wife and I reached a combined net worth of $100K :toot:

Now that she's out of school this should really take off, too.

Noice.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I start taking the bus to work today, because gently caress paying 10 bucks for parking every day.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Accepted a new position within my school district for the fall.

13% raise via a stipend. My previous position had a 4% stipend, so I guess it's only a net 9% raise.

But still!

:)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Missed my goal date of my 29th birthday by a little over a week, but this bit of a market rally after the year-plus-long slump, plus a big buy-in during the Brexit panic sell-off and subsequent recovery, finally pushed me over the quarter-million mark for the first time ever.

Granted, this figure now frequently swings by thousands of dollars per day at the whim of the market, but a milestone nonetheless. :toot:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Congrats, that's awesome! I wasn't even worthless until I was 31.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Ahead of where I was at the same age. I was past the worthless point at 29 but still had bugger all savings due to spending it all on partying.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Well I've been waiting 8 months to make this post. Back then I had 5k in credit card debt, 52k in student loans, and no savings. Today I have 0 credit card debt, 0 student loan debt, and 10k in savings.

I worked my rear end off taking side jobs on top of my regular job. Also I got laid off and picked up somewhere else in between. But its all done now! I'm gonna go eat a lobster.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FateFree posted:

Well I've been waiting 8 months to make this post. Back then I had 5k in credit card debt, 52k in student loans, and no savings. Today I have 0 credit card debt, 0 student loan debt, and 10k in savings.

I worked my rear end off taking side jobs on top of my regular job. Also I got laid off and picked up somewhere else in between. But its all done now! I'm gonna go eat a lobster.

Going from -57k to +10k in 8 months is astounding, congratulations. Seriously you deserve that lobster.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

FateFree posted:

People have started seemingly popular personal finance blogs after achieving less than this. Well done!!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FateFree posted:

That's incredibly badass and I'm very impressed!

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks guys, it means a lot to have hit this goal. Funny enough I think I got worse at budgeting from the experience. The side jobs I took on paid big chunks of money at a time, and when you look at big debt like that it makes things like going out to restaurants almost feel inconsequential. So it probably wouldn't be good finance blog material!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

drat man, that's some solid dedication and great work!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I know that feeling. Doing more work tends to make you spend more.

I've been doing a lot of work and have a substantial income. The retaining wall that was being built for several months had invoices coming in and I was just staying ahead of them. Then in May I had two very large invoices come in for the construction work, structural engineer's invoice, I'd also bought a new bed and leather recliner. The total outgoings for May were around $44k which meant I tapped into my floating rate finance so I ended up with -$33k. The incremental improvement is that I've got that back to -$21.5k with more cash flow to come in this month.

Thankfully everything to do with the construction work has been paid for and I'm not planning any further furniture purchases.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

FateFree posted:

:vince: God drat that's a lot of debt gone in eight months! Nice freaking work, man!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
My wife and I both just got 5k raises. A good month. :hellyeah:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

My wife and I both just got 5k raises. A good month. :hellyeah:

Ugh, I hate when couples have to do everything together.

congrats :toot:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Looking at my YNAB net worth history and I'm up about $40k in net worth (on like 72k net income) over the past year. Feels good man.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Finishing my Masters degree this week.

Without taking on any debt!

*flex emoji*

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This is the thread for shameless humble bragging? Don't get too excited- I live with my parents right now.

I decided instead of funding an IRA, I would go ahead and tackle my higher interest accruing loans. Now I'm at mostly 3.15% loans and might hold off on payments for a while, despite losing the .25% interest rate discount.

I attribute so much of my progress to BFC. Not just the advice, but the realization that these debts need to be paid one way or the other, and the sooner I do it, the less it will cost. So thanks to everyone who helped!

I should be "worthless" by mid-September. I think it's been since 2010 that I had a positive net worth.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 20, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The images are broken for some reason but I managed to load the stafford loans one. Good progress on that, and good to see you'll be worthless soon.

Another upside of nailing those debts is that once they're paid you'll free up the cash flow related to the repayments. It sounds like you're in a much better position.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Fixed it with different hosting.

I'm actually strongly considering leaving my full time job in December, for various reasons. I have a second job, but it's only about $1,000 a month. My expenses are really low, so I'll survive, but the opportunity cost is pretty high.

I hope to finally finish up the CPA exam, race through an accelerated MBA program, and get a better job in 2018.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
I've been carrying some ($5500) credit card debt for about two years now, my new years resolution was to clear it before I turn 30 in Dec.

Cleared it 4 months early on the Thursday just passed :c00l:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

poisoned pie posted:

I've been carrying some ($5500) credit card debt for about two years now, my new years resolution was to clear it before I turn 30 in Dec.

Cleared it 4 months early on the Thursday just passed :c00l:

Nice work!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I passed the FE exam after 4 months of agonizing and overstudying for it. No more studying until I'm eligible for the PE!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Excellent. That first step to a lot more opportunities. Make sure you build up a good client base.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just recently found out my company will reimburse rec sports league fees as part of their health & wellness initiatives. I knew they covered full team fees if it was more than half employees & spouses, but had no idea they would do individual fees too. They just reimbursed about $200 of summer and fall soccer fees for me, and moving forward I expect to save around 500-600 a year across my leagues this way. :cheers:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I just got a project assignment that takes me to a small camp where I get $118/day per diem AND I get free food and board. Basically I'll spend no money and I'll be making an extra $2500 /mo tax free. Had no one to tell this to and it's awesome

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Rocks posted:

$118/day per diem

Rocks posted:

I get free food and board.

So what's the $118 for? Hookers and blow?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Rick Rickshaw posted:

So what's the $118 for? Hookers and blow?

Basically yeah, it's like a "here's some money to be away from home" even though I can fly in at 6am and fly home at 430pm daily if I want. It's a 20 minute flight too so it's basically like taking a flying bus. Sweet deal overall imho

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The biggest part of this isn't really due to me, so I'm not sure if it fits, but it's a huge load off my mind and I'm determined to play it right.

At the beginning of this month, I had no job. Monday I start a job making 30% more than I have ever made. At the beginning of today I had about 7 cents in the bank. Now I have about 5200, after paying some bills I was behind on and getting gas for work next week. This is basically the best day that I've had in more than a year, and this is my chance to build stability instead of building a gut from ordering delivery 4+ nights a week.

E: The money is from a check I've been expecting for months, not a bank error that will get me arrested.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's great and good to hear you got some cash in before needing to bury yourself in debt.

On the debt side of things I just wiped out the last floating rate mortgage debt for building a $70k retaining wall. I can finally resume adding large sums to investments.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Congrats! (to both)

The story of the expensive retaining wall has become a BFC fixture for me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, actually, after we pay our parents back some money we had to borrow, it will probably be more like 3500, but that's still a month's rent and bills and some savings and maybe 1k into the CC as a backup emergency fund. Assuming that's what my wife and I agree to. We need to save up for a trip to Korea Thanksgiving 2017 for her surrogate sister's wedding. It sucks that we need to save probably 3k for that, but it will be a really nice trip at least.

This new job will also allow us to save / pay down about $500 per month as long as we stick to our old budget from my last job. I just need to make sure I don't spend more time unemployed.

I'll probably make that thread I was planning on making before I lost my job in September. I've been BWM ever since I got my first good job and spent my entire paycheck on eating out.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

Congrats! (to both)

The story of the expensive retaining wall has become a BFC fixture for me.

I think one of the things people need to consider when they buy a house they could be stuck with expensive work to carry out. I've heard similar stories to mine but with a cost to carry out the work getting as high as $120k. Most people don't have the means to come up with that amount of money. Perhaps do never buy is good advice, or don't ever buy more house than you need so you can afford maintenance and repairs.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Today I became officially debt-free! I had about $75k of debt when I graduated two years ago between my student loans and my car. Now I've got a paid-off car (which I will drive until its wheels fall off), no student debt, and about $10k of savings so far for the baby I've got due in April. Feels good man.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dogfish posted:

Today I became officially debt-free! I had about $75k of debt when I graduated two years ago between my student loans and my car. Now I've got a paid-off car (which I will drive until its wheels fall off), no student debt, and about $10k of savings so far for the baby I've got due in April. Feels good man.

Wow! An $85K swing in two years is very impressive. Keep up the savings rate and you're going to be sitting in a great position in 10-15 years.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

Wow! An $85K swing in two years is very impressive. Keep up the savings rate and you're going to be sitting in a great position in 10-15 years.

I have to agree, this is great. I wish I had started out with a high savings rate when I graduated.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks guys! I was very lucky; I incurred the debt getting a professional degree and started making high five figures immediately upon graduating. Also, my spouse and I are 100% on the same page money-wise and were both really committed to living frugally and getting out of debt, which helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Good job Dogfish, we don't normally allow this around here but we're gonna grant an exception for you: go ahead and buy yourself a shiny new car. Something fun you've always wanted. Treat yourself, get a baller package, who loving cares. Enjoy it.