Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pakled posted:

Self plagiarism is bad in academia, but is it really inappropriate in political speechwriting? Yeah, you can definitely say it's lazy but this isn't nearly as egregious as the Melania Trump thing and it probably happens a lot.

No it's not or at least shouldn't be bad. It's certainly lazy and uncreative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm still going to be pretty surprised if she doesn't pick a fairly young minority man. It covers her perceived weaknesses and takes advantage of Trump's. I guess if she really wants to just make sure someone who will just for-sure deliver a major swing state would be a safe pick, but otherwise an old white establishment guy does nothing for her.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

torgeaux posted:

FBuckley is D. Trump, Jr's speechwriter.

Self-plagiarizing is still a thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Petr posted:

Well, it's still plagiarized. It's just self-plagiarism.

There's no such thing.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

BiohazrD posted:

Dear god why

Make Dropbox Neocon Free Again

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
There's absolutely such a thing, Jonah Lehrer got in trouble for it. This doesn't really qualify.

EDIT: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/20/lehrer-apologizes-for-recycling-work-while-new-yorker-says-it-wont-happen-again/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's no such thing.

academically there is but no-one really cares outside of that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i mean, a bunch of people here are gonna pretend to care but this isn't anywhere near as funny as melania's writer cribbing the first lady

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Crain posted:

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/755589226092171265

Are you, or have you ever been, a member of the Obama administration?

I used to say jokingly that Trump would probably try to prosecute Obama for faking his birth certificate or try to have all the Obama admin members arrested for Benghazi, becuase he has zero idea how the government or legal system works, but now I'm not so sure President Trump wouldn't bring back HUAC and have Alex Jones run it accusing people of being Muslim Illuminati members or other crazy poo poo.

Man, Periscope thought Milo was important enough to tell me he was broadcasting, but that's good he's finally been banned from twitter. I'm sure he's crying in a corner about the mean big Liberia corporations trying to silence him. He'll probably post a picture of his mouth closed up by tape soon.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

:psyduck: OK I have been following Christie's rapid descent into pimping himself for nickels as much as any of us have, but what is he thinking getting taped saying poo poo like that? What made him turn into this kind of blatant second-rate hitman character?

After his Dark Knight Rises trial of Hillary at the RNC today, I really have no goddamn idea what pathetic depths he's capable of.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mandatory lesbian posted:

academically there is but no-one really cares outside of that

Okay I'll grant that. But in this context it's not unethical. Just lazy.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Outside of academia no one is going to care if you rip yourself off. Self Plagiarism has to be one of the dumbest concepts I've ever heard of. You'd have to be really really smart to come up with something that dumb.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Outside of academia no one is going to care if you rip yourself off. Self Plagiarism has to be one of the dumbest concepts I've ever heard of. You'd have to be really really smart to come up with something that dumb.

heh, stupid college kids and their ivory tower educations, am I right

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Michael Bay has used the same freeway crash footage in like 3 movies. While it's incredibly funny that the Trumps are 2 for 2 on recycling material, this is nothing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It fits in the framework of published academia because it's strictly intellectual laziness at the root of it. Quoting yourself in a speech or reusing old bits when writing in a non-academic context is still intellectual laziness but so is practically the entirety of retail politics, so it doesn't really have a rule there to break. It's a big ol' non-issue unless there's a peer show trialreview involved

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

In theory I guess the magazine could be annoyed that he lifted the quote from something he wrote for them, but they seem to dislike anti-Trump at least as much as they dislike Trump, so they'll probably just be happy about the bump in traffic they're getting.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
drat, we've been Master Persuaded again! How does he DO it?!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bushiz posted:

After his Dark Knight Rises trial of Hillary at the RNC today, I really have no goddamn idea what pathetic depths he's capable of.

Honestly, I think it can't be overstated how goddamn creepy that whole Christie thing was. Calling for the jailing of your political opponent like that has got to be one of the most grotesque, anti-democratic things I've seen in American politics.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ah gently caress - Giuliani still wins/loses :smith:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BiohazrD posted:

Dear god why

condi has landed her dream job. she is up to her neck in college football. you could not pry her out of her seat for anything less than Roger Goodell's job, and even then she'd probably hold out for a team ownership position.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

It fits in the framework of published academia because it's strictly intellectual laziness at the root of it. Quoting yourself in a speech or reusing old bits when writing in a non-academic context is still intellectual laziness but so is practically the entirety of retail politics, so it doesn't really have a rule there to break. It's a big ol' non-issue unless there's a peer show trialreview involved

If the information is correct and relevant and the only reason to reject it is similarity to the author's previous (also correct and relevant) work that's dumb, sorry :(

EDIT: the actual definition for plagiarism really makes this sound stupid -

quote:

the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

Oh man I took my own idea and tried to pass it off as my own, I'm clearly a fraud

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 20, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

If the information is correct and relevant and the only reason to reject it is similarity to the author's previous (also correct and relevant) work that's dumb, sorry :(

Oh man I took my own idea and tried to pass it off as my own, I'm clearly a fraud

True, and this is a tempest in a teapot. But...he didn't take his own idea and pass it off, he took an unnamed, and by implication, non-existent, writer, and presented their idea as his via his speech. Sure, the guy who wrote the speech didn't plagiarize, but the speaker could certainly be said to have done so.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My dream for Obama's last act as Prez: he gives an executive order decriminalizing pot in the least formal language possible and closes with "Choom gang, motherfucker."

I have never tried pot and probably wouldn't if it were legal, but that would be life affirming.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

torgeaux posted:

True, and this is a tempest in a teapot. But...he didn't take his own idea and pass it off, he took an unnamed, and by implication, non-existent, writer, and presented their idea as his via his speech. Sure, the guy who wrote the speech didn't plagiarize, but the speaker could certainly be said to have done so.

If the guy who wrote the speech is also the author of the article (the situation as I understood it) then I don't think he's super worried Don Jr. passing off his ideas as his own because that's what the speechwriter was going for. Of course, it may be that Buckley put that stuff in there on purpose so that Jr. would step on a land mine. :tinfoil:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

If the guy who wrote the speech is also the author of the article (the situation as I understood it) then I don't think he's super worried Don Jr. passing off his ideas as his own because that's what the speechwriter was going for. Of course, it may be that Buckley put that stuff in there on purpose so that Jr. would step on a land mine. :tinfoil:

Nah, Buckley's become a Trumper.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dsyp

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

In the academic sphere the point of citing your own works is the same as anyone else's; to demonstrate where it came from. It might have still come from you, but the expectation of a paper or article is that anything not attributed to a source is originally produced for the piece in question. If you repeat your own ideas you have a duty to explain that because otherwise it looks like you're claiming something is your work (which it is) and that it is original in this instance.

I mean, I don't think it's as severe as rank plagiarism, but it's not entirely kosher.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It may not matter, but I enjoy watching trumps squirm and right wing people hem and haw at any sort of hole they dig themselves into.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crabtree posted:

It may not matter, but I enjoy watching trumps squirm and right wing people hem and haw at any sort of hole they dig themselves into.

This mess would be over by now if the right hadn't spent the last 8 16 36 years insisting that any kind of apology in any circumstance was a sign of weakness and should be avoided at all costs.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are you sure about that? I could see Trump trying to run the country from an office in NYC.

The residents of NYC would totally love that, I'm sure.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I didn't totally envision it this way from the start but it seems that what will finally stop the Trump train will not be himself but rather the level of professionalism of his staff. They could take him through the prelims but if they are making mistakes like this on the first day of the finals then that's probably it for them.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Crabtree posted:

It will be the best hole in the world!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Adequate posted:

In the academic sphere the point of citing your own works is the same as anyone else's; to demonstrate where it came from. It might have still come from you, but the expectation of a paper or article is that anything not attributed to a source is originally produced for the piece in question. If you repeat your own ideas you have a duty to explain that because otherwise it looks like you're claiming something is your work (which it is) and that it is original in this instance.

I mean, I don't think it's as severe as rank plagiarism, but it's not entirely kosher.

It's not as bad since it's not literally someone else's work, but it's typically something you get gigged for because citations are more important in some areas of academic writing (experimental research and stuff) since they enable a reviewer to check the relevance of the cited work. If you're citing part of something that in whole doesn't really support your conclusion then you're effectively lying even if you're just snipping parts out of a paper you wrote previously.

In speechwriting it's sloppy at worst, because it's just recycling old content that suggests you're not making the effort you could be. However, you're talking to a barn full of goddamn idiots who wouldn't be there if they needed convincing so there really isn't anything being improperly gained. It's your old work, whoopee you reused it in a speech for idiots, they clapped at the end and then went home.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pakled posted:

This mess would be over by now if the right hadn't spent the last 8 16 36 years insisting that any kind of apology in any circumstance was a sign of weakness and should be avoided at all costs.

They're basically asking us to laugh at them for the most little of slights when they keep crowing about the horrors of Ben Ghazi or any other Gates they try to craft out of the left, so gently caress it. If they're going to be embarrassed and squeal because we caught them being intellectually lazy than just enjoy the show and set them off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crabtree posted:

They're basically asking us to laugh at them for the most little of slights when they keep crowing about the horrors of Ben Ghazi or any other Gates they try to craft out of the left, so gently caress it. If they're going to be embarrassed and squeal because we caught them being intellectually lazy than just enjoy the show and set them off.

This is similar to why a lot of Hillary's ads have that clown music. One of Trump's biggest raw nerves gets hit when people see through his important rich guy act. He keeps grudges from the drat 80s because magazine writers lampooned him as whatever the whitey version of the "hood rich" slur is. He's what people around my neighborhood call "Class B" because he's like these ebook-learnt serial entrepreneur types who show up to the Berkshire shareholders meeting with one share of BRK.B ($150/share) stock some dick got them as a graduation present and try passing themselves off as having BRK.A ($220,000/share) levels of wealth. It's all a desperate charade on his part and he's very very sensitive to having the curtain pulled back.

Which is why Hillary's ads always treat him like a stupid clown who can't be taken seriously. Someone with that level of emotional exposure is going to gently caress up under pressure and you don't get much more pressure than teasing the demon Trump has been wrestling for his whole life.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
To me, the self plagarism BS isn't super important in the scheme of things, but again, its shows a careless with details, especially after how the entire first night's reaction got loving derailed.

BTW, is the FEC reporting Tomorrow or Thursday?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Proposed D&D gangtag

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

FAUXTON posted:

It's not as bad since it's not literally someone else's work, but it's typically something you get gigged for because citations are more important in some areas of academic writing (experimental research and stuff) since they enable a reviewer to check the relevance of the cited work. If you're citing part of something that in whole doesn't really support your conclusion then you're effectively lying even if you're just snipping parts out of a paper you wrote previously.

In speechwriting it's sloppy at worst, because it's just recycling old content that suggests you're not making the effort you could be. However, you're talking to a barn full of goddamn idiots who wouldn't be there if they needed convincing so there really isn't anything being improperly gained. It's your old work, whoopee you reused it in a speech for idiots, they clapped at the end and then went home.

Yeah that's a clearer explanation than mine. And yeah it doesn't really matter if you're talking to the RNC but otoh if you can't even get your campaign's goddamn speeches in order how you gonna convince the undecideds you can be trusted with the nuclear football?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah that's a clearer explanation than mine. And yeah it doesn't really matter if you're talking to the RNC but otoh if you can't even get your campaign's goddamn speeches in order how you gonna convince the undecideds you can be trusted with the nuclear football?

Also cant be trusted to book musical acts

https://twitter.com/PeterHamby/status/755638811565166593?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Adequate posted:

Very strong. Will build wall. Him good. Him rich! Powerful! Will be the best.

• Locked thread