Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HBO's Babylon

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Myth Confirmers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clodius' Rockin' Festivus Sol Invictus

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Myth Confirmers.

On this episode, we'll show you how THE CHARIOT OF HELIOS could have survived *cut to high-speed camera footage of a miniature chariot towing a flaming beach ball* the extreme temperatures of Sol!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In actual archeology, it always blows my mind that somebody drew this in 5th century BC:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

he looks so disgusted

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What is that, a Pillar Man?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

he looks so disgusted

His expression is more likely grave.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In actual archeology, it always blows my mind that somebody drew this in 5th century BC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_glass_amphora_from_Olbia

This always gets me the same way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm no art history person but that seems nuts.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

What is it and what makes it so interesting?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

It's Overwatch slash fanart. The artist was way ahead of his time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

xthetenth posted:

It's very realistic compared to the common perception of art from antiquity. It falls apart compared to Renaissance stuff when you start looking at it more though- there's only a cursory understanding of depth and foreshortening, which wouldn't be understood until much later (look at the right figure's right foot to see a clear example of that).

Also I dunno if it was just a stylistic choice or just that I'm seeing a single flat 2d image of it but dang if it doesn't look like the artist put their all into those faces and hands and then went into "gently caress it" mode with the rest of the figures. It's reminiscent of what you see a lot of novice artists do today.

also jesus clean up your key pattern man

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Koramei posted:

Also I dunno if it was just a stylistic choice or just that I'm seeing a single flat 2d image of it but dang if it doesn't look like the artist put their all into those faces and hands and then went into "gently caress it" mode with the rest of the figures. It's reminiscent of what you see a lot of novice artists do today.

White ground vases were used for funerary things and also many colors are added after the thing is fired so a lot of the other pigments flaked off. So it's probably a little of "gently caress it" and also a lot of other color work lost from their bodies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Koramei posted:

It's very realistic compared to the common perception of art from antiquity. It falls apart compared to Renaissance stuff when you start looking at it more though- there's only a cursory understanding of depth and foreshortening, which wouldn't be understood until much later (look at the right figure's right foot to see a clear example of that).

Yeah, even so though it's so different compared to what I'm used to seeing from anything pre-renaissance that it still blows my mind.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's just such a familiar scene. Familiar composition and pose, and the scene is instantly recognizable even though we don't know who the subjects are. That's what's striking about it to me. You wouldn't be surprised to see it on tumblr.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Actually looks like a cheeky joke on Archaeologists by Byron to me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

College girls playing ultimate frisbee on the quad.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

This looks like a panel from Hark, A Vagrant!

It just needs a text bubble with the guy on the right complaining about how peasants are disgusting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The comparison to cartoons isn't too far off. The linework on the central figure is simple, strong, and expressive.

e: It's a lekythos, by the way.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 20, 2016

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Girls in commercials used tiny dumbbells 2000 years ago as well I see.

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

Dude looks like Elvis. :tinfoil:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Satire in ancient Egypt:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Tunicate posted:

In high school, I taught an exchange student from Piazza Amerina the term "tube top." I hope it's taken root there.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
History goons, I need your help!

I moved into a new house and it needs some stuff to go on the walls, as I'm a horrible nerd I want some maps, ideally contemporary maps. I thought something from the HRE showing how much of a clusterfuck of tiny states it was or the classic Ancient Rome.

What are the coolest historical maps you know of?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No home is complete without a map of Old Great Bulgaria.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fellblade posted:

I moved into a new house and it needs some stuff to go on the walls, as I'm a horrible nerd I want some maps, ideally contemporary maps. I thought something from the HRE showing how much of a clusterfuck of tiny states it was or the classic Ancient Rome.

Ptolemy's map of the world is pretty cool.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How did Greeks distinguish their sheep from their neighbour's sheep?

Like did they brand livestock or use ear tags?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
well, you usually paid shepherds to watch your sheep all the time. not sure if they had a system of identifying who owned which sheep.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I'm a huge fan of old maps. Check this site out. You create a box around a specific region of the world and it's a search engine for old maps. It has a range and doesn't necessarily go toward ancient world stuff, but I think it's pretty neat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fellblade posted:

The Peutinger Table.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Why are you showing a modern map of China from modern textbooks? This is the ancient history thread.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Ynglaur posted:

Why are you showing a modern map of China from modern textbooks? This is the ancient history thread.

Please do not insult the Korean history.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

to this day scotland proudly celebrates holding off the mighty korean imperial army :scotland:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Swan Curry posted:

to this day scotland proudly celebrates holding off the mighty korean imperial army :scotland:

I thought they were expelled.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"Scots" AKA mountain Koreans.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Archaeologists have found a load of bum-wiping sticks along the Silk Road, showing that Chinese brought diarrhoea to Europe as well as silk and tea: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jul/22/ancient-bottom-wipers-yield-evidence-of-diseases-silk-road-chinese-liver-fluke

It links to another article blaming Roman diseases on garum and baths:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/08/flea-bitten-empire-roman-gifts-to-the-world-included-bacterial-infections

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Swan Curry posted:

Too lovely to occupy. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
That map will always be special for me, especially because it has this massive empire chilling for thousands of years and then suddenly vanishing right before writing is invented.