Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I finally got my cheap as hell Jinhao and 1.5mm nib. The pen is surprisingly well made, no leaks, and made of metal. The nib is a bit scratchy, but that could just be an adjustment issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I finally got my Jinhao x750 and immediately swapped in the 1.1mm Goulet nib I'd bought, which turned out to be a good decision as the tines were so misaligned on the Jinhao nib that you could see it without looking too hard. It looked like a half-open pair of scissors. I bent it mostly back into shape, but as the pen is already inked with the other nib, I haven't tried it yet. It looks (and feels, if I run my finger across the slit between the tines) smooth enough now.

As it turns out, 1.1mm isn't really big enough for proper calligraphy but it does make a fine nib for some fancy italic writing.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I finally got my Jinhao x750 and immediately swapped in the 1.1mm Goulet nib I'd bought, which turned out to be a good decision as the tines were so misaligned on the Jinhao nib that you could see it without looking too hard. It looked like a half-open pair of scissors. I bent it mostly back into shape, but as the pen is already inked with the other nib, I haven't tried it yet. It looks (and feels, if I run my finger across the slit between the tines) smooth enough now.

As it turns out, 1.1mm isn't really big enough for proper calligraphy but it does make a fine nib for some fancy italic writing.

Even my 1.5 isn't fat enough for calligraphy, but dramatic looking cursive is totally in its wheelhouse

E: I really want a cool flex-nib pen just to mess around with, but I've heard that the Noodler's pens have iffy QC at best.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Hey folks,

First time posting here, but I've been writing the last few of months with 2 fine Pilot Metros, and a TWSBI Eco in Medium on Leuchtturm1917 paper.

I'm a lefty so I use Noodlers Bernanke Black in my black metro for work/note-taking, De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes Blue in my red metro for journaling, and Noodlers Berning Red in my Eco when I want to change things up. The red is dark and bloody, I love it.

So glad there's other goons interested in writing in the most enjoyable way possible.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got my Kon-Peki today. It's wonderful. Now I'm considering a Lamy Al-Star for school. In short, gently caress you people for getting me into this. :getin:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
OH poo poo NEW J HERBIN 1670 ON GOULET WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS UNTIL NOW

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

unkle77 posted:

Hey folks,

First time posting here, but I've been writing the last few of months with 2 fine Pilot Metros, and a TWSBI Eco in Medium on Leuchtturm1917 paper.

I'm a lefty so I use Noodlers Bernanke Black in my black metro for work/note-taking, De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes Blue in my red metro for journaling, and Noodlers Berning Red in my Eco when I want to change things up. The red is dark and bloody, I love it.

So glad there's other goons interested in writing in the most enjoyable way possible.

This is actually pretty helpful to me - I've been wondering about what inks are good for lefties.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist

Tulip posted:

This is actually pretty helpful to me - I've been wondering about what inks are good for lefties.

All inks are good for lefties if you are willing to learn how to right correctly. (No, I don't mean with your right hand...)

If you place your paper to your left and rotate it 45 degrees clockwise, you will have the ideal writing position to write completely underneath the script. Your arm should make a right angle to the lines on the paper.

It took me a little while to get used to it, but it has reduced my writing fatigue, prevented all smears, and made my handwriting neater as well.

Now you can write with any ink!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The obvious answer is Baystate Blue

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After cleaning a half dozen pens in a row, I never want to buy another pen that can't be completely disassembled. Ink kept getting stuck in the tiniest crevices, and even after soaking overnight they still wouldn't flush completely clear.

I had one pen in particular that was giving me a lot of grief, until I yanked on the nib and feed out of frustration and realized that they popped right out. Took two seconds to rinse the remaining ink out.

I know we've gone back and forth on the TWSBI thing a few times in this thread, but this makes me appreciate the total user-serviceability all the more.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

404notfound posted:

After cleaning a half dozen pens in a row, I never want to buy another pen that can't be completely disassembled. Ink kept getting stuck in the tiniest crevices, and even after soaking overnight they still wouldn't flush completely clear.

I had one pen in particular that was giving me a lot of grief, until I yanked on the nib and feed out of frustration and realized that they popped right out. Took two seconds to rinse the remaining ink out.

I know we've gone back and forth on the TWSBI thing a few times in this thread, but this makes me appreciate the total user-serviceability all the more.

I think there are two major kinds of fountain people. The kind who like to tinker, and don't mind if a part breaks provided it's easily replaced. And then the kind who want their pens, want them to work right and well directly out of the box, and don't want to have to gently caress around with 'em. Both are totally good and right, but only the first group is going to get really into TWSBI or Noodler's pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tinkering is one thing, but the problem with TWSBI pens was that they broke in ways that required replacement parts and those take time to get (especially up in Canada).

That said they seem to have gotten their poo poo figured out with the Eco though it is a much simpler design than their previous pens.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 21, 2016

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CrimsonSaber posted:

All inks are good for lefties if you are willing to learn how to right correctly. (No, I don't mean with your right hand...)

If you place your paper to your left and rotate it 45 degrees clockwise, you will have the ideal writing position to write completely underneath the script. Your arm should make a right angle to the lines on the paper.

It took me a little while to get used to it, but it has reduced my writing fatigue, prevented all smears, and made my handwriting neater as well.

Now you can write with any ink!

This is cool but I was more thinking as a gift for left handed friends who might be interested in fountain pens (I'm right handed)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Holy poo poo the new J Herbin 1670 looks awesome. I want it but I know I'll never use fancy ink like that. I'm don't even write gud :argh:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Xun posted:

Holy poo poo the new J Herbin 1670 looks awesome. I want it but I know I'll never use fancy ink like that. I'm don't even write gud :argh:

I've bought all of them so far and have written maybe a half page with each, tops

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
re: tinkering with pens

one of the greatest for this was surprisingly the lamy 2k, which disassembles easily

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

404notfound posted:

I've bought all of them so far and have written maybe a half page with each, tops

I keep putting them in various pens then forgetting to use them and have to clean out all the dried up ink :doh:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Everything Burrito posted:

I keep putting them in various pens then forgetting to use them and have to clean out all the dried up ink :doh:

Yeah, that's the biggest problem I had. I don't even have the super-gold formula Rouge Hematite, it still dries up way faster than other Herbins.

Hell, I had it in a Merlin 33 that I used fairly regularly and I'd still have to wipe off slightly-gummy ink from the nib daily. Although, that's an absolutely tiny nib, and a ventilated cap, so that's asking for trouble.

Even without the gold though, it's an amazing red. Except it dries too slow for random notes on stuff and besides holiday cards, such a bright red is a bit much.

Also I don't know how much a TWSBI counts for a tinkerer's pen. Like, an Ahab or something you all but have to fiddle with it to get it writing how you want, and it's meant for that. TWSBIs are easily disassembled, but I'm pretty sure you aren't fiddling with the relation between the feed and nib, you're just fixing whatever's broken for whatever reason. I can disassemble various pilots pretty easily, but aside from figuring out how to align the feed channels with the little capillary tines on the cartridge piercer, there's no tinkering involved.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist

Zenostein posted:

Also I don't know how much a TWSBI counts for a tinkerer's pen.

I have refilled my TWSBI Diamond 580 AL quite a few times and only cleaned it once, but being able to completely disassemble it was just a nice bonus feature. Normally, I would just flush it out a bunch like any other pen.

They are a nice pen if you are looking for another steel nib.

My next pen will probably be a Sailor with a 14kt gold zoom nib. I really enjoy the diversity of nibs that Sailor offers.

RIP my wallet!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was thinking the next pen I get would be a Vanishing Point but now I'm kinda wondering if I might rather have a Decimo since they're a bit smaller/lighter.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If it helps there's a couple of VPs on Amazon's Outlet page for ~$70 right now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

grack posted:

If it helps there's a couple of VPs on Amazon's Outlet page for ~$70 right now.

I'm trying really hard not to look because I've already spent my fun money for this month on other stuff :v:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I was thinking the next pen I get would be a Vanishing Point but now I'm kinda wondering if I might rather have a Decimo since they're a bit smaller/lighter.

i really like my blue/black vp

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I went to a local stationary store here in southern Japan looking to pick up another Preppy. I thought I'd try to see what a medium nib was like and they are cheap enough to buy while I wait on my Metropolitan to show up in the mail. They didn't have any Preppys but they had another pen that looked like it had the same nib but had an aluminum body instead of cheap plastic. I bought a red one with medium nib since it was only ten bucks but it turns out the metal reacts badly with ink and I can't convert this to an eyedropper pen like the Preppy. I guess I am stuck trying to refill cartridges or something. It's a shame too because I like the aluminum body more than the cheap plastic on the Preppy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Landsknecht posted:

i really like my blue/black vp

Same, but mine is blue/gold. It's in fine and has replaced all my other pens as my workhorse writer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I went to a local stationary store here in southern Japan looking to pick up another Preppy. I thought I'd try to see what a medium nib was like and they are cheap enough to buy while I wait on my Metropolitan to show up in the mail. They didn't have any Preppys but they had another pen that looked like it had the same nib but had an aluminum body instead of cheap plastic. I bought a red one with medium nib since it was only ten bucks but it turns out the metal reacts badly with ink and I can't convert this to an eyedropper pen like the Preppy. I guess I am stuck trying to refill cartridges or something. It's a shame too because I like the aluminum body more than the cheap plastic on the Preppy.

You can get a converter if you don't want to refill cartridges. Lower capacity, though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I just want to chime in and say that the VP is crazy good, especially for taking notes. Not having to take the cap on/off owns so hard.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

I just want to chime in and say that the VP is crazy good, especially for taking notes. Not having to take the cap on/off owns so hard.

And it's a surprisingly comfortable pen (at least using my big, achy hands) for long writing sessions. It has ample grip area and allows you to grip it wherever is natural to you.

Most importantly, though, it doesn't look like a fountain pen, so the obnoxious manager down the table from you doesn't have to interrogate you over your fancy old-timey writing instrument.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
not having to continually cap/uncap when I'm doing some task that requires writing stuff down in short bursts between shuffling around in a bunch of paper or switching to keyboard was the main draw to the VP for me, plus they look cool. I prefer smaller and lighter pens which was why I started thinking hmm maybe this smaller and lighter capless pen might be better but the VP definitely wins on price if nothing else.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I think it depends on the lid

with the Lamy 2k i can just snap it off, and I'm not a poster :getin:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

i mean, the lid on my metro and safari pops off nice and easy, but it's still a two handed affair and way slower than just pushing a button.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist

Mr. Despair posted:

i mean, the lid on my metro and safari pops off nice and easy, but it's still a two handed affair and way slower than just pushing a button.

Hold on, I need to get my fountain pen gloves on. *Genuinely surprised when boss takes notice* Oh this little old thing? It's just my 17th-century carved narwhal ivory fountain pen.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Didn't pilot make a smaller/thinner VP or did my brain make that up?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
IIRC there are actually three models of Pilot capless pens - the one marketed as Vanishing Point in the US, the Decimo, and the Fermo. I think there are also vintage versions of the VP that have different body styles but haven't really looked into it so don't take that as any sort of authority.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Magnus Praeda posted:

Huh. The more you know. I've always just washed them out and refilled with a syringe as needed. I don't know that I'd trust that stopper thing to be leakproof after being reset.

In other news and speaking of the stupidly cheap VP :neckbeard::

It writes so smoothly and the clicky action is awesome!

My method is to squeeze the open end of the converter and bang out the stopper. I wash the converter and dry it while taking out any ink residue with a paper towel. I fill ink in with a syringe just above where the lines stop in the converter. I take a chopstick that is about the caliber of the converter and put the stopper on the end of the converter and push the stopper in.

Be careful using the cartridge immediately after you put the stopper in. If you must reload your nib immediately after you seal the cartridge, load the cartridge with the nib pointing up or your nib will spill ink everywhere. The pressure equalizes over a few days.

I hold my cartridges in a plastic ziplock bag with a tissue in it. Seals just fine. You will have to throw out old cartridges as they do crack and collect gunk on them depending on what inks you use.

Also do you have the link to the 70 dollar VPs? My friend who just got a decimo three weeks ago lost hers and is pretty devastated, especially since she's used to carrying fountain pens while on the run at work.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Xun posted:

Didn't pilot make a smaller/thinner VP or did my brain make that up?

The Decimo is the thinner version of the VP, and the Fermo I believe has a twist knob rather than a clicky top and is otherwise like the VP.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GoldenNugget posted:

My method is to squeeze the open end of the converter and bang out the stopper. I wash the converter and dry it while taking out any ink residue with a paper towel. I fill ink in with a syringe just above where the lines stop in the converter. I take a chopstick that is about the caliber of the converter and put the stopper on the end of the converter and push the stopper in.

Be careful using the cartridge immediately after you put the stopper in. If you must reload your nib immediately after you seal the cartridge, load the cartridge with the nib pointing up or your nib will spill ink everywhere. The pressure equalizes over a few days.

I hold my cartridges in a plastic ziplock bag with a tissue in it. Seals just fine. You will have to throw out old cartridges as they do crack and collect gunk on them depending on what inks you use.

Also do you have the link to the 70 dollar VPs? My friend who just got a decimo three weeks ago lost hers and is pretty devastated, especially since she's used to carrying fountain pens while on the run at work.

Here's an M nib in blue and a B nib in brown.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just got the blue one, thanks for the heads up!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Thanks, my friend will appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Questions!

Can a Kakuno be filled with bottle ink, or does it only take cartridges? Do I need a particular sort of converter for it?

Should I pass on a Pilot MR because of the different converter if I already have a couple Pilot Metros? Amazon has some of those neat animal print ones.

Recommendations of inexpensive demonstrator pens that I can fill with bottled ink? Is an eyedropper pen just one you can unscrew and fill without a converter?

What are some "next step up" pens from the Metro? I don't like the look of the Lamy much. The logo being so large on the pen seems tacky to me.

Also, drat, that a hot pen. Pity most of my income goes to Copic supplies and tuition.