Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

a lot of the stuff the FIA bans, like active aero and increased ground effects, are just banned because they aren't competent enough to regulate it. left unregulated those are technologies that can make cars impossible for humans to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

a lot of the stuff the FIA bans, like active aero and increased ground effects, are just banned because they aren't competent enough to regulate it. left unregulated those are technologies that can make cars impossible for humans to drive.

Isn't active aero more of a safety thing though? I'm a NOT saying the FIA is competent however.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Isn't active aero more of a safety thing though? I'm a NOT saying the FIA is competent however.

I'd say its a three way between safety, cost and equalization with safety taking the larger share. I don't think you can really separate them since the FIA has been trying to build the formula to a specific pace for a couple of decades now and they've shown themselves to colossally underestimate aero performance when given the opportunity.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

without active aero you have to strike a balance between putting downforce on for maximum cornering speed vs taking it off for top speed down the straights. with active aero you don't have to make that choice. yada yada yada, now drivers are pulling 8 Gs in the corners and blacking out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Given the whole double diffuser thing I think it would be perfectly understandable if the FIA just said "active aero is a Pandora's box we just don't want to open even if it looks safe and cost effective on paper."

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BBC has an article on the Best Driver http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/36805573

quote:

"I am very happy about it. It gives me pleasure to see disappointed people."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

quote:

If you take only the races in which a comparison in qualifying was fair (ie, eliminating any at which either had a problem), it was 12-1 to Alonso at an average of 0.548secs.

Last year, Sebastian Vettel joined the team. There were 12 races at which a direct comparison was fair and the German was quicker 10 times, at an average of 0.348secs. Overall, the gap was 0.463secs.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Anyone looking for a new avatar?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bert and Ernie literally have more hair than Lewis

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

GramCracker posted:

Bert and Ernie literally have more hair than Lewis

And half as gay

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dear Leader monisha kaltenborn has saved sauber: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-f1-team-announces-change-of-ownership-800401/

but at the cost of peter sauber :( which he's probably thrilled about but is nonetheless bittersweet

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Lewis is also a bit of a muppet.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Now we just need Force India to get their poo poo together and we'll actually have 10 well run teams and Ferrari

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tsaedje posted:

Now we just need Force India to get their poo poo together and we'll actually have 10 well run teams and Ferrari

lol

Looking good and being a royal gently caress up. FERARRI

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

quote:

and Kaltenborn will remain on as team principal and CEO.

The worst part about this. She's ruined the reputation of the team and I wouldn't want to deal with her.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

The worst part about this. She's ruined the reputation of the team and I wouldn't want to deal with her.

fun fact: she actually hasn't

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

without active aero you have to strike a balance between putting downforce on for maximum cornering speed vs taking it off for top speed down the straights. with active aero you don't have to make that choice. yada yada yada, now drivers are pulling 8 Gs in the corners and blacking out.

I was thinking more in terms of failure of the active parts creating a hazard.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Monisha sucks bring back Peter

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you want to hire six drivers for two seats at the same time and don't mind the legal threat of confiscation, I can recommend Monisha Kaltenborn.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
There'd be no more Sauber if it wasn't for Bernie saving their asses, Monisha is a moron.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

monisha-related outrage is entirely limited to the internet, zero people of any importance care

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Formula E is testing an insanely ugly "futuristic" front wing which is "being introduced for aesthetic reasons, not aerodynamic gain". Sham series.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

but at the cost of peter sauber :( which he's probably thrilled about but is nonetheless bittersweet

I dont think hes wanted to be a big part of the team since like 2008. He was trying to retire when BMW pulled out and was forced to buy back into the team.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Peter Sauber has been the dead weight in that team, good riddance. You could blame Monisha for a lot of shenanigans but I think she had to resort to doing that poo poo because of Peter's refusal to put a single dime into that team.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ross Brawn said no :(

To be fair I wouldn't want to work with Marchionne either.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sauber was trying to retire when he sold the team to BMW

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

learnincurve posted:

I wouldn't want to work with Ferrari during any Italian-run period. The toxic politics and blame culture makes Game of Thrones look easy.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Riso posted:

If you want to hire six drivers for two seats at the same time and don't mind the legal threat of confiscation, I can recommend Monisha Kaltenborn.

I'm crying my eyes out thinking about this grave injustice to the 4 very bad drivers who had no business being in F1 anyway

Can you imagine what a different world this would be if Van der Garde drove for Sauber instead of Ericsson? There would probably be a different tiny logo somewhere on the car

poty fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 20, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

Come to McLaren Ross!!! And bring Lewis!!!!!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Lewis should go to Ferrari.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Brawn said that while there is plenty of talent in the team, there isn't enough in the car for him to come out of retirement

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dubs posted:

Brawn said that while there is plenty of talent in the team, there isn't enough in the car for him to come out of retirement

Sad but true.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

alonso leaving ferrari is starting to a feel a lot like hamilton leaving mclaren. seems like a bizarre decision at first until you watch the team implode behind him.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
did you just say ferrari is betta than mlcaren u cun

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's better run into the ground, yes.

Lots of rumours James Allison will jump ship to go back to England. Probably returning to Enstone/Renault.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

alonso leaving ferrari is starting to a feel a lot like hamilton leaving mclaren. seems like a bizarre decision at first until you watch the team implode behind him.

I mean isn't this poo poo exactly why Alonso left in the first place? The whole team was infighting, forcing people to fall on the sword and playing the blame game while he was carrying them and then they bitched and moaned that Alonso was getting more credit than the team. Prost said it best, that team is never going to win unless it calms down and works together.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I mean isn't this poo poo exactly why Alonso left in the first place? The whole team was infighting, forcing people to fall on the sword and playing the blame game while he was carrying them and then they bitched and moaned that Alonso was getting more credit than the team. Prost said it best, that team is never going to win unless it calms down and works together.

yes but, as with mclaren/mercedes back in 2012, people tend to ignore all of that in favor of screaming "BUT BUT BUT THEYVE GOT A SLOWER CAR"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ferrari are kind of hosed, they simply do not have a technical director who can compete with Lowe, Newey or even Pat Symonds The thing which is most of a clusterfuck out of the many strange and decisions they have made in the last few years is this one: When James Allison designed that fantastic Lotus, he did it in conjunction with a suspension designer who's name I forget, but I do know where he is now - Haas. Why in gods name would you allow the B team to have that guy and not yourself? Wait what are Ferrari having trouble with again? Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The problem are not the people at Ferrari by themselves. They're a hostile political charged environment that makes it impossible to work together.

Kind of reminds me of Jaguar before RB bought it and sorted out the mess.

• Locked thread