Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I think my legs might actually be up for going on a pokewalk again tomorrow! Hopefully it doesn't end up being 15.5km again because that was murder for like three days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just hatched a 20 something CP abortion of Pikachu.
How do people run out of balls? I had to throw out 100 because I had 300 and backpack was full.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So if the Japanese market comes online, it would mean that UK / South African users will get about a 1 hour window to play each day, in between the Japanese going to sleep and the Americans waking up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sekenr posted:

Just hatched a 20 something CP abortion of Pikachu.
How do people run out of balls? I had to throw out 100 because I had 300 and backpack was full.

Living in the suburbs sucks.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Living in the country sucks.

E: I shouldn't complain because exactly where I live is five times better than anywhere else in 100 km (200 to stay in my state), but then the city is ten times better than us so

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 20, 2016

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
Are some Pokemons linked to a particular cellphone or team group or something?

I was sitting with my brother in the car and saw a Flareon, he parked, I caught it, he was nowhere to be found for him. Why? Maybe a timer?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ropa posted:

I was sitting with my brother in the car and saw a Flareon, he parked, I caught it, he was nowhere to be found for him. Why? Maybe a timer?

he probably lives in the suburbs

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ropa posted:

Spawned pokemon do disappear over time, so probably that.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I chased a stupid pikachu all over my neighborhood yesterday and he never got closer than 3 steps. I hate this game's bugginess and don't even really like Pokemon and I can't stop playing because seriously must catch them all. I mean I was out after 2 days of dehydrating stomach bug, a storm was coming up and there was some sort of buzzard circling me and I still chased the little butthole.

PIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ropa posted:

Thats not how it generally works. If you see a rare poke, the others trainers will see it with seconds of difference (2, 3 seconds). Maybe he was disconnected from the network in some way (like crashed), or a server bug stopped him from getting it.

Anyway we know very little about how the game really works.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I'd there anyway to check IVs on mobile? I'm on a trip with only my iPad and phone.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sekenr posted:

How do people run out of balls?

Check your pokestop privilege dude

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
WTF is an IV?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Something idiots worry about. :angel:

It stands for "Internal Values", which after resists are factored in, generally do piss all. Super spergs want that extra 0.0001 though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did you miss the anime episode where Ash discovers Pikachu's IVs are through the roof, allowing him to defeat Lt. Surge and Raichu?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

internal values are hidden stats that make each pokemon unique

its part of the reason your opponents pokemon is faster or slower than yours (even if they're the same species)

for example, a rapidash with 31 (the cap in the handheld games) IVs in speed at level 100 will always outspeed a rapidash with 30 or lower IVs at level 100

you can have 31 IVs in all the main stats, creating a "perfect" pokemon

for pokemon GO, it looks like the cap is 15? i haven't read into it much but if you wanted to get serious about the game its something you should look into. it's quite a bit more important than ".00001" or whatever

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
EVs are way more important, but this game doesn't have battling even though pokemon battling would work fine with a touch interface.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
twice the game decided to make pokemon I'd never seen before appear during the game's transition to me catching some common shitter like a zubat and when I'd run away from the common to try and catch the new thing, the game decided they'd ran away instead.

loving bullshit, dude. Why the gently caress did the game decide to make them vanish after like, not even 10 seconds?

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
For the actual games, which is the best one for the DS? (not 3DS) I remember Emerald had extra random roster trainer battles in some sort of tower after the core game (some sort of endless dungeon type thing I think), so something like that with the largest roster would be aces.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ocanthus posted:

For the actual games, which is the best one for the DS? (not 3DS) I remember Emerald had extra random roster trainer battles in some sort of tower after the core game (some sort of endless dungeon type thing I think), so something like that with the largest roster would be aces.

edit: oh ds regular

uhhh black/white is your best bet. hg/ss is fun stuff but b/w or b2/w2 are really, really unique and fun games

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ocanthus posted:

Black/White if you'd like to only see the new pokemon until the post-game, Black 2/White 2 if you want a mix of old and new.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 20, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rafza posted:

for pokemon GO, it looks like the cap is 15? i haven't read into it much but if you wanted to get serious about the game its something you should look into. it's quite a bit more important than ".00001" or whatever

Based off of some dirty 30-second math it looks like the max CP potential difference between 15s across the board and 0s is like 10%? The general consensus is that a good moveset is significantly more important.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/japanese_launch_of_pokemon_go_delayed_due_to_mcdonalds_email_leak

The guys that said it's coming out in Japan says it's not coming out today because they broke the news

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009

Rafza posted:

uhhh black/white is your best bet. hg/ss is fun stuff but b/w or b2/w2 are really, really unique and fun games

Christo posted:

Black/White if you'd like to only see the new pokemon until the post-game, Black 2/White 2 if you want a mix of old and new.

B/W 2 it is then. Thanks!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/japanese_launch_of_pokemon_go_delayed_due_to_mcdonalds_email_leak

The guys that said it's coming out in Japan says it's not coming out today because they broke the news

lmao okay niantic

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

So can people spoof their location to take down gyms from outside the typical range? I pulled into the only parking spot close enough to a misplaced gym marker (meant to be the hospital, the gym is actually in a big field between it and a highway), put my Jolteon into it, only to have the gym taken back in about ten minutes. I didn't see anyone who could have been in range to activate it and the whole area is wide open.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mole people. Exclusively use diglett.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Eevee name trick worked for me, got a shiny new 1477CP Vaporeon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Does incense have an effect for people near you or does it only benefit you?

Also, don't think I've had a Pokestop this giving yet (yay for commuting with the bus).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've been right next to someone using an incense and got nothing, so anecdotally only the user. I've heard that, similar to lures, it's just a guaranteed spawn every five minutes regardless of serverside spawning mechanics.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
drat I love hatching eggs. Who knew the simple question "Oh?" Could bring so much joy.

Even when it hatches poo poo, it hatches strong poo poo. Just got a 389 Pidgie, haha.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
So is it just me where I get 1 pokeball per Pokestop because I can't stop getting Revives and Potions?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rurutia posted:

So is it just me where I get 1 pokeball per Pokestop because I can't stop getting Revives and Potions?

Must be just you. I binned 100 revives and 50 hyper potions to make room for more balls, now I'm hitting gyms and can't seem to find a revive anywhere.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

malal posted:

drat I love hatching eggs. Who knew the simple question "Oh?" Could bring so much joy.

Even when it hatches poo poo, it hatches strong poo poo. Just got a 389 Pidgie, haha.

I'd love my eggs to hatch some Pidgeys, to get all that candy for easy exp.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Must be just you. I binned 100 revives and 50 hyper potions to make room for more balls, now I'm hitting gyms and can't seem to find a revive anywhere.

I hit 99 revives before level 10. My husband makes fun of me all the time that I have literally absurdly terrible luck in any game I play. The moment he ungroups with me, his luck noticeably improves. Good to know that some things never change.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

malal posted:

I'm level 13 and hatched a CP78 Rattata yesterday. :negative:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Popped my first lure today, attracted some weedles and an oddish but it was otherwise pretty underwhelming. I was the only person there the entire time, does the rarity of Pokemon increase if more people are using the same lure? I've had better luck at other people's.

Also saw a bunch of new-to-me Pokemons walking around town at 5am. Does time of day or scarcity of other players affect anything?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've actually been on vacation so I bought some Lures with IAP because it's been super fun to post up where I have nieces and nephews and friends with kids and have them get all excited, etc... Good times.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 20, 2016

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Rafza posted:

What about for 3ds? I haven't played one since the original on gameboy. Anything really worth getting for 3ds or just wait til November for the new one if I've waited this long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
X/Y and Ruby/Sapphire are both worth getting.

• Locked thread