Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

peanut posted:

There are very old things here but buildings tend to be wooden only (few iron resources) paired with high humidity and frequent natural disasters. It was better to make houses out of parts that were easily exchangeable.

Then electricity, plumbing and A/C were invented and no one wants to live in a mud hut anymore.

Also if you are making a temple out of wood and painting it, and maintaining it every few years by repainting, parts that are brand new are going to look the same as parts that are hundreds of years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

smackfu posted:

Also if you are making a temple out of wood and painting it, and maintaining it every few years by repainting, parts that are brand new are going to look the same as parts that are hundreds of years old.

I guess the argument everywhere now is what the price of convenience is. Yes, a house can be hundreds of years old, and may possibly last another few hundred. but there's maybe, what's a sensible number, 60-120 hours a year of maintenance? With stuff like landscaping, repainting, winterizing, dealing with old house bullshit, ect. Whereas a modern decently stick built house with a small yard that'll be knocked down in 30 years because it's unfashionable will have 0-40 hours of maintenance a year, depending on if you mow the yard yourself.

In a hundred years, how many houses from the 70's are going to be left? How many houses built in the '00s?

Now, in the vein of cheap lovely houses, question. Who makes the best park model homes?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 19, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How long a building should last is a pretty good question. A problem with a lot of modern design is how disposable and single-use so many buildings are, while previously it was quite normal for a building to just keep getting retrofitted and re-used because the design was adaptable. This could go on for hundreds of years no problem. Not that they didn't build lovely disposable buildings way back when, we just don't see them because they're gone. Often that's where the myth that they some how built things better or to last "back in the day" because the only things that survived from then were the ones that were really well built.

But it's still a major problem today that whole neighbourhoods and developments are built with very short lives in mind and no plan on what to do afterwards. There's so many huge lovely empty office parks and big box stores and malls that really can't be adapted to much else and were only designed to really last 30-40 years or so.

The main thing is just build really good bones that can be re-fitted to whatever else in the future. That 5 story mostly concrete row building may have been first built with 2 shops in the bottom and apartments above, but later on the 2 shops joined together into a larger business and the apartment floors were gutted and turned into offices, then later the big shop was turned into a lobby and restaurant for a hotel and the office floors turned into hotel rooms. If the basic bones of the building are good this can go on for 100+ years no problem. A lot of this comes down to issues bigger than just construction quality though, but zoning, urban planning, land use. Generic urban buildings in an urban setting are far more flexible and can naturally evolve over time based on changing neighbourhood conditions and demands, huge pre-planned suburban developments and business parks are designed with 1 use in mind, the neighbourhood itself designed with 1 use in mind, and it's often extremely hard to change that 1 use.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Baronjutter posted:

it's often extremely hard to change that 1 use.
...without bulldozing the whole lot. Which is probably why in the end of the day the fact they're built for 50-70 years may not be the worst of all things.

That said, based on my projected financial situation in the next 3-5 years I should be in a position to be able to afford to properly architect a home and cannot loving wait.

Small bedrooms barely enough for a bed and desk or chair, massive walk in closets/dressing rooms for each room. Properly sized kitchen for working with multiple people cooking. Living areas well separated/insulated from shared space. A well designed office/study. Space designed for short/long term storage inside the house. Large garage space with rear wood shop. loving A people build such lovely houses in the name of huge space and not well thought out.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Motronic posted:

This got so bad even for reddit that the subreddit moderators locked the comments.

My favorite part was that after some dude on Craigslist took several trailers of the river rock, he tossed the rest into the crawl space of his house. Just...what?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

c0ldfuse posted:

...without bulldozing the whole lot. Which is probably why in the end of the day the fact they're built for 50-70 years may not be the worst of all things.

That said, based on my projected financial situation in the next 3-5 years I should be in a position to be able to afford to properly architect a home and cannot loving wait.

Small bedrooms barely enough for a bed and desk or chair, massive walk in closets/dressing rooms for each room. Properly sized kitchen for working with multiple people cooking. Living areas well separated/insulated from shared space. A well designed office/study. Space designed for short/long term storage inside the house. Large garage space with rear wood shop. loving A people build such lovely houses in the name of huge space and not well thought out.

People got different and weird tastes. For me a bedroom is just a place to sleep and I much rather have a bigger living room and kitchen for hanging out, but other demographics want huge bedrooms for some reason. Some people hate "open concept" spaces, even if they have a tiny condo they absolutely refuse to have a single large space that's their kitchen/dining/living room, instead they want 3 insanely claustrophobic little rooms because those things simply must be individual rooms. I used to design apartments and things, and it was really regional/demographic. If something was targeted for older people, it was a rats nest of tiny rooms because they didn't care how big they were, they just wanted to check-box that they had this and that room, I think it was a weird class thing. I didn't work on houses because our firm didn't do much single family and its good because I'd always get mad at weird suburban tastes. "We're a family of 4 so we need 7 bathrooms, 2 en-suites off the 20x20 master bedroom, a bathroom off each of the 3 other bedroom, plus a guest bathroom and another one in the finished basement. Because we have kids we need a huge playroom, a massive living room, a formal dining room, a formal living room, 2 offices, and a finished basement with an entire guest suite and a huge home-theater room. Also of course a 4 car garage because we each have 2 cars. We're going to sink 1.5 million into this house, we want the finest appliances and countertops. Exterior? Insulation? Roof? CHEAPEST AS POSSIBLE. Make it look like a loving cement board warehouse, slap some faux stone on the front, pillars are classy right? Yeah add some roman pillars too. And a porch, those are homey. Mix every style and material possible, but in the cheapest way.

Another house was like 3,000 sq. ft. but some how all the rooms were sort of cramped because something like 50% of the floorspace was mostly useless "flow space". Like wide hallways and big open space not quite big enough to use for anything. It was like an all-lobby house. The kitchen, bedrooms, and the actual living room they used were like condo-tiny, the rest some how managed to be weird foyers and a sort of bridge/deck thing between sections and stairs and ramps. Big formal dining room they never used, a sort of grand hall at the entry they also never used and just had some modern art in it. It was almost like they were designing an art gallery and stuck some space for living in as an afterthought.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't work on houses because our firm didn't do much single family and its good because I'd always get mad at weird suburban tastes. "We're a family of 4 so we need 7 bathrooms, 2 en-suites off the 20x20 master bedroom, a bathroom off each of the 3 other bedroom, plus a guest bathroom and another one in the finished basement. Because we have kids we need a huge playroom, a massive living room, a formal dining room, a formal living room, 2 offices, and a finished basement with an entire guest suite and a huge home-theater room. Also of course a 4 car garage because we each have 2 cars. We're going to sink 1.5 million into this house, we want the finest appliances and countertops. Exterior? Insulation? Roof? CHEAPEST AS POSSIBLE. Make it look like a loving cement board warehouse, slap some faux stone on the front, pillars are classy right? Yeah add some roman pillars too. And a porch, those are homey. Mix every style and material possible, but in the cheapest way.

Maybe they were just thinking ahead to when the kids were older and everyone started turning areas of the house into de facto apartments so they'd never have to interact with anyone else living there.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Baronjutter posted:

Another house was like 3,000 sq. ft. but some how all the rooms were sort of cramped because something like 50% of the floorspace was mostly useless "flow space". Like wide hallways and big open space not quite big enough to use for anything. It was like an all-lobby house. The kitchen, bedrooms, and the actual living room they used were like condo-tiny, the rest some how managed to be weird foyers and a sort of bridge/deck thing between sections and stairs and ramps. Big formal dining room they never used, a sort of grand hall at the entry they also never used and just had some modern art in it. It was almost like they were designing an art gallery and stuck some space for living in as an afterthought.

So something like this?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Baronjutter posted:

...instead they want 3 insanely claustrophobic little rooms because those things simply must be individual rooms...

See the thing I hate about open floor plans for kitchen/dining room/living room is the fact that I cook a lot and few apartments have high cfm exhaust fans in the kitchen so if I say...cook a proper steak on a cast iron pan, smoke gets everywhere and leaves a film of grease as far away as my desk (over time if I am not OCD cleaning after every cooked meal.

I honestly have to change what I eat at home because of not having a kitchen I can close off, and it blows.

I will agree though that generally dining rooms and living rooms don't need to be separated if you're working with a small space.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blindeye posted:

See the thing I hate about open floor plans for kitchen/dining room/living room is the fact that I cook a lot and few apartments have high cfm exhaust fans in the kitchen so if I say...cook a proper steak on a cast iron pan, smoke gets everywhere and leaves a film of grease as far away as my desk (over time if I am not OCD cleaning after every cooked meal.

I honestly have to change what I eat at home because of not having a kitchen I can close off, and it blows.

I will agree though that generally dining rooms and living rooms don't need to be separated if you're working with a small space.

That brings me to the question that occurred to me last night before I fell asleep: is there any vent hood that will be better than this apartment vent hood bullshit that I can swap out that doesn't need an external vent? Is there some kind of super filter available instead?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Baronjutter posted:

If something was targeted for older people, it was a rats nest of tiny rooms because they didn't care how big they were, they just wanted to check-box that they had this and that room, I think it was a weird class thing.

I feel like you're talking directly to me about my grandparents' old house. Either set of grandparents, really, but my mom's parents had a house that wasn't that big to start with, but most of the square footage was in a formal dining room that was basically unused save when company came, and a formal living room that was literally unused unless company came. They spent all their time in a little den "cozy" enough that a sofa at one wall and a 36"ish TV at the other was comfortable viewing.h

Now that I think of it, that house also had 1.5 baths that were adjacent :pwn: You'd walk into the .5, through another door into the full bath, and through another door into one of the bedrooms. The .5 was in my lifetime definitely meant to be "for guests" as it had a full mirror, hand towels, potpourri tray, that kind of appointment.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was sanding off the scratch marks in the front door (leftover from the previous owner's dog), when I ran out of sanding discs. So I stepped back to take a look at my progress... aaaand immediately realized that I had accidentally cocked it up :v:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

quote:

A car recently drove through my kitchen wall, destroying everything. It's somewhat understandable, since an active road goes through the middle of my house , but I'd like to minimize future damage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/4tnugw/bollard_advice_my_house_gets_hit_by_cars_a_lot/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I could see something like that existing in some town full of buildings from the 14th century, but anywhere in north america?? What the gently caress is the backstory to that? It doesn't even look like that old of a house.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Our street
In the middle of our house

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

I could see something like that existing in some town full of buildings from the 14th century, but anywhere in north america?? What the gently caress is the backstory to that? It doesn't even look like that old of a house.

Here it is on GSV.

quote:

Apparently the house originally served as a home for Prospect Hill Cemetery's caretaker, but Langley said it was built in Philadelphia for the Centennial Exhibition in 1876.

The only thing up the road is the cemetery itself and three other houses.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 20, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Blindeye posted:

My open plan house has a similar issue, when I realised the kitchen extractor was doing nothing I found it was rated for about 190m/hr, the replacement I'll fit later this year with be 600+m/hr.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

flosofl posted:

Our street
In the middle of our house

:colbert:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Does the traffic light turn red when he opens the door?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does the ceiling on that tunnel actually get shorter at the far end, or is it just a weird trick of perspective/compositing? (I'm assuming that's a street view image.) Because it sure looks like it does, like the ceiling is sloped from one end of the tunnel to the other. :psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

Does the ceiling on that tunnel actually get shorter at the far end, or is it just a weird trick of perspective/compositing? (I'm assuming that's a street view image.) Because it sure looks like it does, like the ceiling is sloped from one end of the tunnel to the other. :psyduck:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

We're on a road to nowhere
Come on inside
Taking a ride to nowhere
I'll take that ride

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i actually kinda like it

i'd never put a penny towards buying it, but i like it

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

NancyPants posted:

That brings me to the question that occurred to me last night before I fell asleep: is there any vent hood that will be better than this apartment vent hood bullshit that I can swap out that doesn't need an external vent? Is there some kind of super filter available instead?
What kind of filter does it have currently? Ductless models are supposed to use a disposable carbon filter in addition to the washable metal mesh filter. In every one I've actually used the installer just left the standard metal mesh grease filter on that does gently caress all without a duct. If you Google the model you can probably buy a replacement disposable filter on Amazon.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

This begs the question, who owns the road? Is it public or his?

If it were my house, I'd put up a gate and collect a toll. :10bux:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Blindeye posted:

That's only part of the reason I hate open floor plans. The other reasons are noise and privacy. At my parents' house, you can hear the TV all through the living room / kitchen / dining room areas (and similarly, you can hear the extraction fan from the kitchen, possibly requiring turning the TV volume up). Maybe "privacy" isn't the right word, but I hate not being able to sit down and read a book in the living room or do work in the dining room without being somewhat isolated from everyone else in the house.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

xergm posted:

This begs the question, who owns the road? Is it public or his?

If it were my house, I'd put up a gate and collect a toll. :10bux:
This makes me think of a reddit post that made the pretend lawyers over there froth at the mouth. Some guy had some lovely neighbors who sold a large part of their land, which included the access road to their house. The neighbors then demanded access to his land, and a Sheriff tried to make him open his gates for them. The original poster went silent based on advice from his lawyer, and the gibbering masses were left wanting. I'm told that for months afterwards the neckbeards in the legal advice subreddit sperged out hard anytime someone said "landlocked". Well, it turns out there was a conclusion to that story earlier this year, so I figure I'll post it (since I think I found the original post in this thread)

Here are the 3 posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2o3g9g/neighbors_stupidly_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2ooy1x/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4dci57/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

the yeti posted:

I feel like you're talking directly to me about my grandparents' old house. Either set of grandparents, really, but my mom's parents had a house that wasn't that big to start with, but most of the square footage was in a formal dining room that was basically unused save when company came, and a formal living room that was literally unused unless company came. They spent all their time in a little den "cozy" enough that a sofa at one wall and a 36"ish TV at the other was comfortable viewing.h

Now that I think of it, that house also had 1.5 baths that were adjacent :pwn: You'd walk into the .5, through another door into the full bath, and through another door into one of the bedrooms. The .5 was in my lifetime definitely meant to be "for guests" as it had a full mirror, hand towels, potpourri tray, that kind of appointment.

My great-uncle has a bathroom that was designed as a passageway to the den. It has two doors and neither of them have locks. People barge in on you when you're in the john all the time as everyone closes both doors, but forgets to open both. It makes no sense. It isn't a shared bathroom like those that are made for two kids rooms, it's the way to get between the kitchen and den.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

What do you think the odds of this being a grow op are?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 20, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Wha to you think the odds of this being a grow op are?

1-P(bitcoin op)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slanderer posted:

This makes me think of a reddit post that made the pretend lawyers over there froth at the mouth. Some guy had some lovely neighbors who sold a large part of their land, which included the access road to their house. The neighbors then demanded access to his land, and a Sheriff tried to make him open his gates for them. The original poster went silent based on advice from his lawyer, and the gibbering masses were left wanting. I'm told that for months afterwards the neckbeards in the legal advice subreddit sperged out hard anytime someone said "landlocked". Well, it turns out there was a conclusion to that story earlier this year, so I figure I'll post it (since I think I found the original post in this thread)

Here are the 3 posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2o3g9g/neighbors_stupidly_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2ooy1x/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4dci57/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/

So some idiots knowingly chunked up and sold their land to create a situation where they had no road access then tried to strong arm an unrelated land owner into creating a permanent easement for access?? How did they ever think that was a good idea?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

How did they ever think that was a good idea?

Overwhelming sense of entitlement?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Well it kind of did work out for them in the end, since their neighbor ended up buying their land, the worthless house with oil and sewage leaks, and eating the legal fees they incurred fighting these assholes in the first place.

Feels like this should be crossposted to the BWM thread. GWM for the original jerks.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Baronjutter posted:

So some idiots knowingly chunked up and sold their land to create a situation where they had no road access then tried to strong arm an unrelated land owner into creating a permanent easement for access?? How did they ever think that was a good idea?

They probably thought it was a road they had rights to. Sometimes when you get away from civilization the difference gets hard to tell. Also, they were dumb.

Around here, they would have started the subdivision process and the planning board would have said, "lol, no".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I often forget how lax things are in rural places. There isn't this strong concept of procedure or legal process. You just make deals, shake hands, and get to work. What the gently caress is a permit? Why should I consult a lawyer before making a huge land transaction?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Bad Munki posted:

Overwhelming sense of entitlement?

Well, that's the thing... Your land cannot be entirely landlocked, you must have road access to your land. So yeah, technically he was "entitled", one path or another. It looks like this idiot buyer just thought that he could take the shortest path and be done with it. I can't believe that an easement from the original property wasn't written into the deed.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

kid sinister posted:

Well, that's the thing... Your land cannot be entirely landlocked, you must have road access to your land. So yeah, technically he was "entitled", one path or another. It looks like this idiot buyer just thought that he could take the shortest path and be done with it. I can't believe that an easement from the original property wasn't written into the deed.

That depends on the state. You absolutely can purchase land that has no easements to it. But someone doing it to themselves is not something I have ever heard of.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Well, that's the thing... Your land cannot be entirely landlocked, you must have road access to your land. So yeah, technically he was "entitled", one path or another.
Well yes, of course. But...

quote:

It looks like this idiot buyer just thought that he could take the shortest path and be done with it.
...basically that. Being entitled to use the (gated, secured, private) road you can see from your property is not the same as being entitled to a road to your property.

But just to correct a little, it wasn't a buyer that was the idiot here. The original owners sold the land that they had previously used to access their property (and then expected to forcibly use neighbor's private drive.) :psyduck: None of the buyers in this story were the (overwhelming) idiots.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 20, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Except the OP who got conned into buying a superfund site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Haha, okay, yeah, the followup was pretty dumb. I'm sure it sounded great on paper, "Annoying neighbor? Buy them out but make them sweat until you get a price you like!" but now you've got Fletch sneaking around on your property at night, melting his tennis shoes in the toxic sludge and figuring out your devious scheme.