Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We already have Chimps and Gorillas.

Humans are just that but more evolved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

Humans are just that in but more more fashionably hairless in magic land.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Great finished comics? I would recommend Kid Radd, Rice Boy, A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible. and (if you have a lot of time), 8-bit theater.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Wittgen posted:

Great finished comics? I would recommend Kid Radd, Rice Boy, A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible. and (if you have a lot of time), 8-bit theater.

Digger as well.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

How out of place they are kind of depends on your view of humans. If you see humans as Different from Animals on some level, this is very, very jarring. If you see humans as a different kind of animal, then this still probably isn't working so great for you. If you see humans as just another animal, then it might not be a big deal.

i mean if you don't see humans as different from animals on some fundamental, instinctive level, you've got severe cognitive disabilities that probably bar you from being able to understand or enjoy character-driven stories in the first place.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Problem Sleuth too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Rice Boy and Order of Tales are both super high quality finished comics.

I liked Darken too, but it's pretty janky at the start. It improves a lot a long the way though.

John Allison sort of "finished" Bobbins/Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery but he never finishes them so much as he gets bored and shelves them to focus on other characters in his massive shared universe.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

neogeo0823 posted:

Just so we're clear, you guys do remember that the humans appearing in the comic thing was one of the bits of the April Fools comic, right? And there's already a proven thing where some stuff in those comics actually comes true. Granted, humans are very out of place in this setting as a rule, but I guess I can live with having 1 or a couple or whatever as the general attendants to god. It'd be especially hilarious if this whole universe turned out to be like some weird altered reality where the gods are just house cats, the attendants are the cat owners, and all other animals are just wild animals roaming around the neighborhood.

Ahahaha and the little title over that piece of April Fools Joke is "Pay no attention to that (hu)man behind the curtain" and we find a human behind the Veil of Ignorance

Morbi you delightfully trolly bastard :allears:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I think the current art in Poppy is very good and I will fuckin' cut anyone who disagrees

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Grognan posted:

quote:

Humans are just that in but more more fashionably hairless in magic land.

Humans are the top dogs in the Hairless Dogma.

"Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's mankind."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FlyinPingu posted:

I think the current art in Poppy is very good and I will fuckin' cut anyone who disagrees

I admit saying I liked the old art in Poppy is like saying I preferred my Aston Martin to my Bentley.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i mean if you don't see humans as different from animals on some fundamental, instinctive level, you've got severe cognitive disabilities that probably bar you from being able to understand or enjoy character-driven stories in the first place.

whatever Noam Chomsky

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wittgen posted:

Spacetrawler!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Burkion posted:

That's not how evolution works! We are exactly as evolved as apes and gorillas because we coexist with them. You could say we're more evolved than like australopithecus because they were supplanted completely by humans. This is all assuming that being more or less evolved than anything makes any sense at all.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Wittgen posted:

Dominic Deegan.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Begemot posted:

That's not how evolution works! We are exactly as evolved as apes and gorillas because we coexist with them. You could say we're more evolved than like australopithecus because they were supplanted completely by humans. This is all assuming that being more or less evolved than anything makes any sense at all.

Ah but evolution is defined as change over time, so coexistence is insufficient, since several species (crocodiles, turtles, ants) don't really change much.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Tunicate posted:

Ah but evolution is defined as change over time, so coexistence is insufficient, since several species (crocodiles, turtles, ants) don't really change much.

One could argue that a species that doesn't need to change much simply did a very good job at evolving before everyone else.
Coincidentally, opossums have barely changed in 65 million+ years.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

That makes me think of some weird version of Phrenology that proves opossum's aren't people in Poppy's world because they haven't changed/evolved.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the most evolved lifeform on earth is undoubtedly some strain of bacteria or other microorganism :pseudo:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

the most evolved lifeform on earth is undoubtedly some strain of bacteria or other microorganism :pseudo:

In recent history, uou could make an argument for HeLa cells, just because there's a big change in how they operate that took place over a very short time. But that's sorta cheating.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tunicate posted:

But crocodiles have evolved just as much, they were shaped environmental pressures just like apes or birds or bacteria. Unless you mean evolved more as in literally the number of changes, then it gets really tricky because how do you differentiate between ancestors? The statement that humans are more evolved versions of australopithecus is just as valid as saying that they are more evolved versions of some hundred million year old single-celled organism.

Crocodiles have kept the same basic body plan over millions of years, but ancient crocodiles are not the same species as modern ones. They were bigger or smaller based on environmental pressures. A crocodile that ate dinosaurs is gonna be bigger than one that eats water buffalo. Evolution is not a linear process leading from somewhere to somewhere else. Humans may be able to walk upright and speak languages, but we also have lovely throats that get clogged super easily and lovely pelvis' (pelvi?) that often break when we try to give birth. It just so happens that the advantages of being able to communicate and walk long distances outweigh those disadvantages on average.

Every species that still exists is by definition the most evolved in history because life on earth started all at once*. They've all gone through the same history, they just ended up at different places.

*probably? It seems unlikely that there were multiple coexisting events that created the first organisms we would consider "living" on different parts of the planet, and that both were able to stick around. But it's hard to make a definitive statement on that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hogge Wild posted:

Dominic Deegan.

mods??

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I can't imagine why you'd believe this to be the case.

Burkion posted:

Humans aren't more evolved. They're simply evolved to specialize in different things than chimpanzees and gorillas.

Morbi posted:

One could argue that a species that doesn't need to change much simply did a very good job at evolving before everyone else.
Coincidentally, opossums have barely changed in 65 million+ years.

Somewhere, a horseshoe crab is being very, very smug.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 20, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Begemot posted:

pelvis' (pelvi?)

:eng101: Pelves, if you want the Latin plural. The -i plural is only for some -us singular, e.g. alumnus -> alumni. Definitely not all -us singular, e.g. corpus -> corpora, or octopus -> octopodes, or even virus -> virus.

It's generally better to just go with the regular English plural (pelvises), though there are some cases, mostly in academia jargon, where they don't exist (no English plural for alumnus or corpus, for example).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homestuck if you've got a spare evening

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

:eng101: Pelves, if you want the Latin plural. The -i plural is only for some -us singular, e.g. alumnus -> alumni. Definitely not all -us singular, e.g. corpus -> corpora, or octopus -> octopodes, or even virus -> virus.

It's generally better to just go with the regular English plural (pelvises), though there are some cases, mostly in academia jargon, where they don't exist (no English plural for alumnus or corpus, for example).

the plural of pelvis is presley

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

homestuck if you've got a spare evening

Just lol if you think you can read more words than War & Peace and the Bible put together in one evening

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You can maybe read Problem Sleuth in one evening if you really put your mind to it, but Homestuck requires a week long time investment.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Carrasco posted:

This just reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Sandman:

I know this is from the last page, but I always wondered where Xavier: Renegade Angel got the idea from. But I suppose it's a very old idea.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, In Sword Interval today, uh this is kinda like some nightmares I've had. Also, the author seems to be playing out the story of The S M I L I N G M A N in its entirety, for anyone here who's been playing SS13 for a while.

EDIT: drat, you need archives to get to the actual post, but someone quoted it, so you'll just have to live without the pictures.

OrangeSoda posted:

I remember this round, it was incredibly fun.

People ended up accidentally teleporting into that chamber using hand teles and couldn't actually see space or anything, so they appeared to be trapped in there. The first man to enter was the chaplain, who after collapsing when evil spirits attacked him woke up in the maintenance corridors donned in cultist robes and absolutely insane.

The next person was the captain, who entered on purpose to check it out. The security team was somehow monitoring him over cameras and were seeing someone else in the room with the captain, who claimed he was the only person in the room. This other person, in a pinstripe suit and a strange mask that appeared to give him a pale face and oversized smile, waved to the guards and obviously knew they were there, which freaked them out.

After awhile, the security guards watching on the camera began to bleed some and take slight brute damage, complaining about headaches. While they weren't watching on the cameras, the captain foolishly grabbed an artifact.

All the lights blew on the station and everyone heard a tornado siren blaring, the captain freaked out, made a portal and escaped back to the station.

He left the portal open. Whatever was following him before came back with him. All hell quickly broke loose on the station

The dead rose, strange creatures began stalking the hallways and devouring the crew and the strange "smiling man' from before was roaming the dark hallways, vanishing and re-appearing at will, slaughtering the crew that weren't devoured by zombies or demons by stabbing them repeatedly with a knife. Horrible, distorted noises began blaring around the station.

The game's graphics began to also glitch up like in the screenshot, tiles started "drifting" off center and becoming glitchy and broken looking. Their names also turned to things like "Help me" and "No escape".

As if that wasn't bad enough, some crewmembers weren't handling it too well. A few of them, paranoid that the other survivors weren't who they seemed or were infected with the virus that turned the others into zombies, began killing one another. Other diseases began to infect those who the smiling man didn't kill outright and spread to the others.

I believe there was only one survivor.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 20, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do not read Homestuck unless you're feeling masochistic, it's a Ramayana of labyrinthine bullshit that ends with a whimper, not a bang.

A Redtail's Dream is a pretty decent finished work. Lovely art.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I've already read through 8 bit theater, Digger, problem sleuth, and sort-of homestuck.

It was the first and best sprite comic as far as I can tell, had a wonderful monochromatic art style/setting/writing to give that mythical feel, was highly whimsical, and was not nearly as good as it's predecessor and REALLY needed an editor so badly I just skipped to the end at the start of the second troll set and was really not satisfied by the ending. Respectively and seperated by commas.

Will be checking out Kid Radd, Rice Boy, Spacetrawler, and Starslip Crisis on the thread's recommendations.

I will very pointedly NOT be checking out Dominic Deegan. :colbert:

And on further reflection, eh, last two updates have put Poppy at a distinct "C" level for me. They're just too out of left field and are making me :rolleye: too hard. I'll probably check back in to Poppy later.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Ants are extremely evolved and different types are specialized for all sorts of environments, not to mention the whole "invented agriculture" thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Contemporary species are always equally evolved, the most fitting term you're looking for is more or less derived. That is, possessing more or fewer derived characteristics (a product of evolutionary change).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Humans have evolved to do things like wear clothes, live in groups, use complex abstract language, use tools, have opposable thumbs, and walk upright. So in a world where all the animals do that in addition to whatever their animal biology gives them, humanity seems superfluous. And then you've got things like dogs and sheep around that were defined by being domesticated by humans, so when you actually have to consider humans as living in tandem as an equal to these creatures, it raises a lot of questions (although to be honest, not many more questions than the prospect of alligators living in harmony with goats).

For comparison, there's a human in Kevin & Kell right now, and the approach that comic takes is that the human somehow is gifted with the ability to outsmart all the animal people despite its apparent lack of language.

All these worldbuilding details are mainly ancillary, but so long as they're there, it's interesting to poke at them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fritz posted:

Ants are extremely evolved and different types are specialized for all sorts of environments, not to mention the whole "invented agriculture" thing.

And they've been doing that essentially unchanged for a *very* long time. Its a winning strategy so they don't have any selection pressure to do anything different.

The real question, tho, is whether poppy goes full DF and has giant sponge men running around.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Personally, it's really interesting to me to think of humans as being just kind of there mixed in with everyone else. I feel like the way this would usually be done would have humans set apart from the animal people--not necessarily better or worse, but not part of the same group. I'm not entirely sure what it is that Poppy does that sells that aspect so well to me--possibly it's the fact that this is the only human we've ever seen--but the fact that Lila happens to be a human feels about as significant in-universe as the fact that the gatekeeper was a seal. I really dig it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, honestly, even if everyone was on the same basic intelligence level, humanity isn't as pathetic as a lot of people like to make us out to be.

There's a reason why the way we used to hunt was by running our prey to death. We're amazing endurance machines in ways other animals never had to be.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I will very pointedly NOT be checking out Dominic Deegan. :colbert:

You really should, it's an invaluable part of webcomic heritage. I'm not being ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

Personally, it's really interesting to me to think of humans as being just kind of there mixed in with everyone else. I feel like the way this would usually be done would have humans set apart from the animal people--not necessarily better or worse, but not part of the same group. I'm not entirely sure what it is that Poppy does that sells that aspect so well to me--possibly it's the fact that this is the only human we've ever seen--but the fact that Lila happens to be a human feels about as significant in-universe as the fact that the gatekeeper was a seal. I really dig it.

it's sort of like taking a cartoon - yeah, they're all drawings but you can intuitively accept that they're meant to represent living things and physical places - and then sticking a photographed actor in it, Who Framed Roger Rabbit-style. Suddenly the goofy celshaded critterfolk ain't just people anymore, they're all weird and inhuman, and it's gonna be super weird if you don't account for why they're different from real people somehow.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 20, 2016

• Locked thread