Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Mega64 posted:

So far, all of our adventures have taken place on the Mist Continent. It's important to note that everything outside the Mist Continent is essentially unexplored territory, especially since airships cannot travel there due to the lack of Mist.

Here's the thing that bugs me - they have regular boats, so why has no one ever sailed to a different continent before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lynx posted:

Here's the thing that bugs me - they have regular boats, so why has no one ever sailed to a different continent before?

It's uh, literally an ocean away. Travelling from Alexandria to Lindblum is one thing but another continent is pretty different. The advance of airship technology also means less reliance on boats, so there's probably been less advancement on that - Lindblum is pretty much full on research into airships at the moment.

Lindblum and Alexandria aren't even on the north side of the continent, so planning a voyage would mean going around the Mist Continent, stretching the journey even longer.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Also, thar be literal monsters.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's uh, literally an ocean away. Travelling from Alexandria to Lindblum is one thing but another continent is pretty different. The advance of airship technology also means less reliance on boats, so there's probably been less advancement on that - Lindblum is pretty much full on research into airships at the moment.

Sure, but Cid just told our heroes to cross it (presumably) on foot using an excavation site, so the ocean can't be that big.

It's not a huge deal, but it feels like they could have addressed why no one has ever traveled to other continents with some quick throwaway dialogue. Or maybe they did and I just missed it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fact that it's called the mist continent probably means there's a lot of mist near the continent, which'd make sailing next to impossible. even if you get out, you'd ram yourself into some rocks on the return trip.

basically, sailing out is difficult for the exact opposite reason that it's hard for airships

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Endorph posted:

the fact that it's called the mist continent probably means there's a lot of mist near the continent, which'd make sailing next to impossible. even if you get out, you'd ram yourself into some rocks on the return trip.

basically, sailing out is difficult for the exact opposite reason that it's hard for airships

Nah mist is the magical stuff in the air.
Free floating mana. The concept is also used in the Ivalice games but there heavy mist actually stops airships rather than fuels them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Being a magical power source doesn't stop it from obscuring your view if you're not consuming it as you pass through it, you can see it on the world map. And from dialogue in the Evil Forest we know it's also unsafe to be in. I could see it being an obstacle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The design of the next dungeon kiiiinda addresses the issue of crossing continents on foot. More on that two updates from now, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Note also that most people on the Mist Continent live way ABOVE the mist, on mountains and cliffs.

The one notable exception is Burmecia, which has the eternal rain thing going on that kinda makes mist difficult.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember I played this game right after Legend of Legaia and I remember being absolutely horrified when I saw the Mist the first time.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even while Zidane is relegated to the cheerleader role, he actually does cheerleading and is proactive in his aid of Dagger and Vivi.

I also strongly disagree that you can excise him from the story past this point. I can think of a good half-dozen events where he pipes in to move things along/be someone to bounce off of.

I'll get into it later, probably closer to the end so I don't have to worry about spoilers.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Lynx posted:

They probably have, because they're aware of the other continents (hence why this one is named The Outer Continent). It's just that the other continents have not been thoroughly explored/mapped. And they're probably too inconvenient to travel to for what they have to offer, so there's been no great incentive to set up regular travel routes or invest in exploration.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would say that sailing to an unexplored continent would be an incredibly dangerous proposition, but this is an RPG so the "continent" is actually like 100 yards away.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pureauthor posted:

Note also that most people on the Mist Continent live way ABOVE the mist, on mountains and cliffs.

The one notable exception is Burmecia, which has the eternal rain thing going on that kinda makes mist difficult.

And the Qu, of course.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Fister Roboto posted:

I would say that sailing to an unexplored continent would be an incredibly dangerous proposition, but this is an RPG so the "continent" is actually like 100 yards away.

Ignoring the fact that gameplay mechanics =/= real-life mechanics (the world is a square after all)
I believe there was a geographic reason why you dont often go to the other continent

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lindblum and Alexandria aren't even on the north side of the continent, so planning a voyage would mean going around the Mist Continent, stretching the journey even longer.

Gaia is a torus :eng101:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Vaan's purpose was to ground Ashe and tone down her lust of revenge, both of them having experienced loss in the invasion of Rabanastre. Otherwise she would have nuked Archadia and completely went with the occuria's plans.
Then again it could have easily have been Reddas if he joined before Giruvegan.
I still think Vaan should have been a moogle, no other change

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nihilarian posted:

:perfect:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not sure I want to see a Moogle with spray-on abs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
They wouldn't be spray on, they'd be marker abs.

Still :perfect:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF's have gotten less racially diverse in the later games. After FF9 you may get one token character of a different race, but even with only six of our eight characters so far we have a black mage, a rat dragoon, and a Qu, plus Zidane has a tail so he's maybe a halfsie or something?

Then again FF7 only had one non-human too depending on how you count Cait Sith, FF4 1.5 people since Cecil is half moon-man, and FF6 only had two. Plus all the other games besides FF12 had a couple different races at most, usually summons or dwarves or whatever. FF9 has delivery moogles who suck so bad at their job we have to do it for them, a kingdom of rat people, a race of gluttons that live in swamps, weird black mage golems who may or may not be sentient, and all the weird animal people in the big cities. And we're still only halfway through Disc 2 and haven't explored the weirdo continents yet.

It's pretty crazy how diverse FF9 is, really.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The worst part of FF's cast being five humans and a human with bunny ears, is that the world is theoretically supposed to be diverse? You'll run into tiny flying bunny people running chocobos rental services, Vaan's employer at the beginning is a pig dude, the bounty hunters after Balthier's head are all lizard people and I dont even know what the gently caress was going on with the weird masked deer-bird people? And almost all of the important people in the world end up being human too, I think

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Spira has a bunch of races, and only one party member isn't human.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
FF12 gives you five humes and a viera, in the Ivalice setting from FFTA where having a bunch of playable races was one of the big draws.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Spira has a bunch of races, and only one party member isn't human.

Are you technically human if you're only a dream?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Al Bhed aren't human. Yevon told me they're less than

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The X party needed at least one or two hypellos. Like Lulu could've easily been a sexy hypello.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Schwartzcough posted:

The X party needed at least one or two hypellos. Like Lulu could've easily been a sexy hypello.

Imposhibible!

FF9's take on diversity is really well done though. Like, there's tons of animal people walking around, doing business and no one bats an eye at all.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Cast diversity is one of the reasons I loved the Breath of Fire games. 5 games in the series and there's maybe ONE playable character that's fully human (Karn the thief from the original). Everyone else is dragon-people, bird-people, dog-people, tiger-people, fox-people, bull-people, and living mutant onions. And more!

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Mega64 posted:

FF's have gotten less racially diverse in the later games. After FF9 you may get one token character of a different race, but even with only six of our eight characters so far we have a black mage, a rat dragoon, and a Qu, plus Zidane has a tail so he's maybe a halfsie or something?

Then again FF7 only had one non-human too depending on how you count Cait Sith, FF4 1.5 people since Cecil is half moon-man, and FF6 only had two. Plus all the other games besides FF12 had a couple different races at most, usually summons or dwarves or whatever. FF9 has delivery moogles who suck so bad at their job we have to do it for them, a kingdom of rat people, a race of gluttons that live in swamps, weird black mage golems who may or may not be sentient, and all the weird animal people in the big cities. And we're still only halfway through Disc 2 and haven't explored the weirdo continents yet.

It's pretty crazy how diverse FF9 is, really.

FFIX probably has the least amount of playable human characters in any FF game. Spoilers to say what that number is right now though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

FF12 gives you five humes and a viera, in the Ivalice setting from FFTA where having a bunch of playable races was one of the big draws.

Balthier shouldve been a moogle.
Basch should've been bangaa.
(Even though they both have the most reasons to be hume what with the empire's Hume supremacy doctrine.)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 21, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I was more annoyed with Seeqs not only being a new thing out of loving nowhere, but taking over one of the Major Race spots from the Nu Mou.

Seriously Nu Mou were cool and Seeqs are just fatter Bangaa what the hell is the point of that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MythLisp posted:

FFIX probably has the least amount of playable human characters in any FF game. Spoilers to say what that number is right now though.

FF13-2 has one playable human, due to having one playable character.

We'd have to get into completely nonhuman casts in spinoffs to beat that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Humans are pretty good. Don't throw in a rabbit lady just for the sake of having a rabbit lady.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jay Rust posted:

Humans are pretty good. Don't throw in a rabbit lady just for the sake of having a rabbit lady.

Its more like having 32 flavors of ice cream in your world

and you unflinchingly go for the vanilla every time.

Maybe sometimes they make a mistake and you get french vanilla and not notice but it's still vanilla.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've got the same problem with Star Wars, where you have a poo poo-ton of alien races but it's all about the humans.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Maybe sometimes they make a mistake and you get french vanilla and not notice but it's still vanilla.

and then you start questioning

why do they have two kinds of vanilla
its stupid.

French is better than non french any day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've got the same problem with Star Wars, where you have a poo poo-ton of alien races but it's all about the humans.
chewie didn't even get a medal

the rebellion is a bunch of racists

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's sad that vanilla has come to mean "bland and plain" when it is just as delicious as any other flavour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Endorph posted:

chewie didn't even get a medal

the rebellion is a bunch of racists

Neither did Wedge, and he fought the whole thing and didn't just showboat in at the end.

• Locked thread