Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'd like to buy direct from the devs since they'll get a bigger cut but before I do, are there any (worthwhile) mods that are Workshop exclusive or is everything released on their site as well?

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well here's a funny and interesting bug: when embarking, gay characters are usually (or maybe always) assigned romantic relationships with the wrong gender/preference. "My wife doesn't know I'm gay" tonight on TLC

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gilok posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting the thing that destroyed my totally established, highly defended, super-advanced colony to be a swarm of angry beavers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Flesh Forge posted:

Well here's a funny and interesting bug: when embarking, gay characters are usually (or maybe always) assigned romantic relationships with the wrong gender/preference. "My wife doesn't know I'm gay" tonight on TLC

I think this might be the first time I actually laughed at this word filter.

Is there a way to build personal shields that I'm missing or do I just have to hope that I get lucky and can buy one/take one from invaders? I have a couple guys that are pretty good melee but I'm terrified that I'm going to get them killed when they run in to fight in late game raids with like 10+ enemies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

In an interior, dry place, raw veggies seem to last about a season and a half. Berries 2-3 weeks, cooked meals last about 3-4 days. Raw meat is about 2 days. Pemmican is just over a year. Alcohol is forever. This is from my tribal playing. It takes 20 pemmican to make a meal, but its the best way to preserve meat and vegies long term until you get power. Its horribly space inefficient though. 2 stacks of pemmican is 7 meals vs one stack of cooked food being 10 meals. Have standing orders for colony population +1 of fine meals, and order a hunt every day or two of a deer or other good sized critter. Then have standing orders for pemmican until you have like 900 if you are worried of storing food. With power and refrigeration, raw food is 2 stacks for 150 units vs cooked 2 stacks for 200 units. 10 meal stack with 10 ingredients is 100 raw food units. Or you could just make bigger storage spaces.

It depends very much on the vegetable, rice and especially corn last longer than potatoes, corn can easily last though autumn and winter without any issue, and you can eat it raw.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The trick with boom*s is to wait for the first rain then draft someone and go shoot all of those fuckers. Doesn't help with manhunter packs, but at least you can keep the colonies of them down in the meantime.

Your alternative food option is to install the vegetable garden mod, grow nothing but beans and aloe, and force your colony to subsist on nothing but tofu and energy drinks

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I keep getting heat waves within the first 10-15 days when I try to start as a tribe, and at that point there's gently caress-all you can do about it. Frustrating

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I found the trick for heat waves was to reverse the restrictions and make colonists sleep inside during the day. That's under a stranded game though, albeit without immediate temperature control. I suppose tribal gets boned no matter what.

The biggest bottleneck in this game is getting food refrigeration and production up and running. Once you get a good cook who can churn out food and freeze it, there's plenty of time to do other activities. Until your colony gets overrun by a pack of boars.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, as the stranded colonists or the explorer, a Freezer is the first priority, but you don't really get that luxury as tribals.

RIP Sun Village, you met an ironic end.

Edit: Well, perhaps not entirely. My pyromaniac, Heat loving, Sanguine chef seems to be having the time of her life. Maybe I should just try to see how long I can survive with only her.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 19, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Outdoor power conduits blowing and lighting your entire base on fire is some bull poo poo

Played a rich explorer start with Cannibal, ate several raids (my panther took care of one while my guy was in a soft mental break), then my base decided to explode into a massive loving firestorm and my guy got eaten by a pack of manhunting hares

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol just lol if you don't live on a horrific,land locked ice sheet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah heat wave is pretty much automatic death for tribals, even if you have them strip down, even indoors at night they still roast. They can't do ice sheet at all, although tundra/boreal forest are okay if you just start with some parkas. Hunting with melee is pretty cruel though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah heat wave is pretty much automatic death for tribals, even if you have them strip down, even indoors at night they still roast. They can't do ice sheet at all, although tundra/boreal forest are okay if you just start with some parkas. Hunting with melee is pretty cruel though.

If you can mine into a mountain/hillside it's OK. Internal temperature is normalized somewhat

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

If you can mine into a mountain/hillside it's OK. Internal temperature is normalized somewhat
Not really, I tried that earlier. Maybe if you make an elaborate setup of airlocks it'll help.

It does help if you have a freezer, obviously, but as mentioned, tribals.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
ok so im crazy enough to try and survive on a ice sheet. ive gotten p good at it except for figuring out how to force survivors to eat nutrient paste. i have power and food in hoppers but they wont eat the paste. they will go to starvation and eat human flesh or raw whatever out of the hoppers before they pull nutrient paste.

any mods or tips how to force them to eat the paste?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Blacktoll posted:

Lol just lol if you don't live on a horrific,land locked ice sheet.

Ice sheet is super easy compared to desert. You don't get any roaming packs of evil poo poo on the ice or heat waves. Staying warm is way easier than staying cool for tribals.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

ok so im crazy enough to try and survive on a ice sheet. ive gotten p good at it except for figuring out how to force survivors to eat nutrient paste. i have power and food in hoppers but they wont eat the paste. they will go to starvation and eat human flesh or raw whatever out of the hoppers before they pull nutrient paste.

any mods or tips how to force them to eat the paste?

Make sure that the hopper is next to the side of the dispenser and has the open end facing away from it. Aside from that, might wanna bite the bullet and start cooking meals.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Phew, I'm glad I culled that 16 size Muffalo herd before that random psychic wave drove them all mad.

Couple of questions: Do events scale up as fast for tribes as it does for the crash survivors/explorer? Also, is it possible to upgrade from tribal tech?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So is there any way to build a toxic-fallout proof outdoor colony? I had an awesome farming setup, then 6 months of fallout killed every living thing on the map including my crops, and eventually my housebound settlers ran out of superfluous organs to remove and eat.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Omi no Kami posted:

So is there any way to build a toxic-fallout proof outdoor colony? I had an awesome farming setup, then 6 months of fallout killed every living thing on the map including my crops, and eventually my housebound settlers ran out of superfluous organs to remove and eat.

Sunlamps for indoor farms, otherwise good luck with traders bringing food :(

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

MadJackMcJack posted:

Make sure that the hopper is next to the side of the dispenser and has the open end facing away from it. Aside from that, might wanna bite the bullet and start cooking meals.

the problem with cooking meals is that meat is extremely rare. you have to min/max your food on an ice sheet and nutrient paste cant be beat. i had my hoppers set up that way, didnt change anything

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Phew, I'm glad I culled that 16 size Muffalo herd before that random psychic wave drove them all mad.

Couple of questions: Do events scale up as fast for tribes as it does for the crash survivors/explorer? Also, is it possible to upgrade from tribal tech?

Incidents are mostly driven by colony value, and unless you go nuts with sculpture you can't really make anything that valuable with low tech. Yes it's possible to upgrade, if you mean "can I research all the cool poo poo," it just takes more time to research. Actually that's a very good thing because a fairly big flaw with the previous alphas is you could get all the research done way too quickly.

I like the new roof construction rules a lot better than I thought I would, it's a lot more straightforward to do poo poo like covered walkways.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'm looking at the store page for this, and am curious as to where it's at?

Is it like Dwarf Fortress, where it's basically done, but the dev is insane and wants to keep adding to it?

Is it like The Long Dark, where it's basically done, but the dev wants to add on a big extra experience to it that isn't done yet/separate from the main game?

Is it like Subnautica, where it's basically done, but it just doesn't have an endgame yet, and the dev is currently working on it?

Or is it actually still in early access, where it's fun, but huge chunks are missing?

His description on the store page is basically a big question mark. I'm 100% a'ok with playing something DF style, where every few months he suddenly adds something crazy and I use it as an excuse to start a new game. I'm a little less willing to buyin if the game has content chunks missing, or peters out after you get a stable fortress going.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

of those I guess I'd go for Subnautica? there are a couple systems that could use some more filling out, but the game is fully playable and you'll not lack for things to do starting out, I've been filling the end-game void with mods and have been playing my latest colony for 45 hours, recently finished it by building a self-sufficient fallout-esque vault with cryostasis chambers for all my colonists to sleep away in for all time

I'd say it's worth the asking price for sure, I am incredibly pleased with where it's at now, if you consider Dwarf Fortress "basically done," I'd say you could probably say the same for this? It's lacking stuff, but the game is there and pretty polished in terms of bugs
I hope he does decide to go the way of Dwarf Fortress though, I'd love to see this game being worked on for years to come, it only gets better every single update

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
After binging on it hard, I'd say it's closest to Subnautica, yeah. Right now, the early game is basically set, the endgame is...present, if very much a placeholder (graphically and in terms of gameplay), but the midgame is a huge void. Once you've solved the problem of not starving to death or going insane, you have more or less nothing to do except grind out research and resources to make the escape ship, wait for non-guaranteed events that let you finish the game, and - if you're on the default AIs - fend off increasingly ridiculous waves of enemies. The escalation of threats is kind of busted for the classic AI, and it will poo poo right down your throat if you've been playing for too long or have too many colonists for its liking.

However, I could see its development going very well, learning how to set up a colony properly took me hours and several restarts, combat is actually fairly fun when the game isn't being patently unfair, and mods to flesh out midgame mechanics and difficulty hiccups would probably make the game as it exists right now be a functioning stand-alone thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tynan is gradually coming around to the idea that many or even most of his players really just want a sandbox game that has no specific "win" conditions. He's resisted it for a really long time though. It's pretty sustainable if you just want to maintain a colony at a certain point in development but yeah if you dump a giant amount of highly polished perfect quality constructions or are sitting on huge hoards of flawlessly crafted charge rifles or some poo poo, the invaders will eventually get mega annoying. There is a mild analogue to DF's "endgame" (buried or walled up "shrines" filled with cryptosleep cans containing various things, and often also mechanoid enemies) but it's muuuuch less dangerous, tbh it's less dangerous than many standard raids.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Daeren posted:

However, I could see its development going very well, learning how to set up a colony properly took me hours and several restarts, combat is actually fairly fun when the game isn't being patently unfair, and mods to flesh out midgame mechanics and difficulty hiccups would probably make the game as it exists right now be a functioning stand-alone thing.

all i ever wanted, and what this game basically is to me, is sim town where sometimes war happens. i dial the AI way back so i'm more just building a little village instead of having to think up elaborate killbox designs for 50+ tribal waves. i've maybe launched the spaceship once, but i have fun just picking some gimmick and going with it like trying to get rich brewing and trading beer

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Just got this, having fun with a 100% psychopath escaped prisoner colony after a few ~lol random generator~ starts.

Sad that my pet bear died of an infection sustained in a cougar attack. How do you heal pets? Do I have to make an animal bed and designate it a medical bed maybe?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AceRimmer posted:

Just got this, having fun with a 100% psychopath escaped prisoner colony after a few ~lol random generator~ starts.

Sad that my pet bear died of an infection sustained in a cougar attack. How do you heal pets? Do I have to make an animal bed and designate it a medical bed maybe?

a sleeping spot is good enough. nobody can be doctored, man or beast, until they're in a bed, even if that bed is a designated spot in the dirt

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

the problem with cooking meals is that meat is extremely rare. you have to min/max your food on an ice sheet and nutrient paste cant be beat. i had my hoppers set up that way, didnt change anything

Simple meals don't need meat. They can use them, but you should forbid it in the job bill so they only use veggies.

Aside from that, the only other things might be storage priority, where the hopper should be higher then regular food storage, and starvation. AFAIK, if a colonist is starving they will eat the nearest food source regardless of what it is. You might wanna fiddle with the Restrict tab to give them more Anything time, see if that pushes them towards eating.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I wish there was a way to turn off the random events, or at least make them stop scaling over time... I keep getting colonies that are really stable until I get high on my tech tree, then suddenly I get a ton of horrible events in rapid succession and either get wiped out, or get sick of managing blight + fires + fallout every 5 minutes.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Omi no Kami posted:

I wish there was a way to turn off the random events, or at least make them stop scaling over time... I keep getting colonies that are really stable until I get high on my tech tree, then suddenly I get a ton of horrible events in rapid succession and either get wiped out, or get sick of managing blight + fires + fallout every 5 minutes.
Without delving into mods (which probably already have a solution for 99.9% of desires): If you're already on the lowest difficulty and storyteller you can always enable devmode, go into Open Debug Menu Actions and use "End Map Condition" (only there if one is present) or various explosion/lightning strike tools to nuke raiders and delete their remains.

Maybe not the most subtle and refined method, but there's little you can't fix with them. It's how i salvaged my savegame after it got hit by toxic fallout, heatwave, solar flare, psychic drone and an alien invasion after the last patch. All triggering on the same day. On free play/phoebe chillax. :haw:

Or you coul use it to spawn armageddon on earth and watch dozens of raids at once, if you're thirsting for that SimCity2000 "laughing at burning rome" feel.

It also has the option to bring the "Name Your Colony" prompt back up, which i can't fathom why that isn't just a regular option.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 20, 2016

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Without delving into mods (which probably already have a solution for 99.9% of desires): If you're already on the lowest difficulty and storyteller you can always enable devmode, go into Open Debug Menu Actions and use "End Map Condition" (only there if one is present) or various explosion/lightning strike tools to nuke raiders and delete their remains

Ooh that's really useful, thanks!

And yea, I'm not sure how I feel about the random events; it kind of feels like he tried to emulate the DF chaos, but doing it through RNG instead of by presenting a mostly-deterministic economy that's so complicated that your attempts to manage it will likely result in horrible, horrible doom make it feel kinda cheap.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Does Prepare Carefully have a point limit or is it just the honour system? And what sort of point level do people usually use if they're new to the game but still want a challenge?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Does Prepare Carefully have a point limit or is it just the honour system? And what sort of point level do people usually use if they're new to the game but still want a challenge?

By default it was point based but you could turn that off. Even with base points you can make a strong start party though by min maxing though.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Alaan posted:

By default it was point based but you could turn that off. Even with base points you can make a strong start party though by min maxing though.

I'm using the Alpha 14 WIP and there's a point count in the bottom right but there doesn't seem to be an upper limit. Should I just aim to stay around the 12k it started at?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

My colony managed to survive starvation, multiple raids by pirates, manhunter boomrats and one unfortunate colonist triggering a deadfall trap, only to be wiped out when my batteries exploded and took out hydroponics at the start of fall.

<sigh>

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I started putting switches between charged batteries and the grid because of that. Have just enough to last the day active at any time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alaan posted:

I started putting switches between charged batteries and the grid because of that. Have just enough to last the day active at any time.

Yeah, I need to come up with a switch strategy. Is it full charged batteries that explode?

The next plan is to have a couple of battery huts away from the colony, and something that can handle 'core' HVAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

I keep getting heat waves within the first 10-15 days when I try to start as a tribe, and at that point there's gently caress-all you can do about it. Frustrating

Edit the starting gear to give everyone cowboy hats.

It's a tiresome oversight but easily corrected.